Personal Oppinion on Why I believe the Console War Will be Close

Posted by Random

Personally after lots of pondering I believe the race will be very close between all three. I see strong points already of the three.

I'll simply give a few reasons why each will sell well and i'll probably even give an estimate. Remember this is personal oppinion and i'm not *** so I can't predict the Future..

I'll start with Sony the two time Defending Champion. Sony has outsold it's opponents with both of their consoles. The Playstation was brought a huge crowd in. Using Discs instead of cartridges Sony had plenty of support. More support than Nintendo or Sega could bring to the table.

The Playstation 2 also has a ton of Support. More than the Xbox or the Gamecube. However I personally believed there was a Decline of fun Gaming. I loved the Playstation and I enjoyed playing most of the games, but the Playstation 2 lacks a great library. It has it's fun games but most of my favorite Playstation 2 Games are well on Xbox or Gamecube as well. However the Playstation 2 is undisputedly the Champion of the Console War for this round. Easily outselling Microsoft and Nintendo. Sony Gained many fans over the time.

However with the Future holding that the PS3 will most likely be the most expensive, many will look in the other direction for a 360 or a Revolution. The Playstation 3 packs powerful hardware. Hardware that will outdo either the 360 and the revolution. Which is mainly why the PS3 will be so expensive. I see a problem however. A lot of the support over the years from Capcom and SquareEnix has suddenly shifted. As most of you are aware Microsoft is finally getting both the Final Fantasy Series and the Resident Evil Series to the 360 which could hurt the PS3. Why buy a PS3 for lets say $200 more than a 360 when they carry the same games?

Lets Look at Microsoft now shall we? Microsoft came into this war later than both Nintendo and Sony and had an uphill battle. Many were skeptical of what the Xbox could do and what games they would bring to the table. Now it is a respectable system gaining 2nd place in the Console war. Bill Gates made a decision. He knew he'd lose money on the Xbox to keep up with Sony in the Price War. But he didn't hesitate. He wanted loyal fans to be on his side.

The Xbox for the most part when released didn't have much. A few decent Games like Fusion Frenzy and Munch's Oddysee and One great game.. "Halo." However the Xbox wasn't so hot at first. XBox Live launched eventually down the road and more Games started to come out. Finally Microsoft gained more Support from Fans and Support from Companies. The One Genre of gaming I believed Microsoft lacked was the RPG. The Xbox didn't have many but the few they had were enjoyable. KOTOR, KOTOR II, Jade Empire, Fable, MorroWind. I believe for success Microsoft is going to need to have more RPGs for the 360 and not just more but more enjoyable ones.

I see the Price being decent. $300.. Thats what the First Xbox released at. With a fairly beasty hard drive and wireless controllers. According to the E3 Video I watched, Microsoft promises the Controller to be the Most Comfortable Controller you'll ever hold. And this time around they don't charge for Online Gaming.

With Microsoft having Loyal Fans, the Console coming out first, and a decent Price it should sell every bit as well as the PS3. But it's too soon to tell.

Now lets look at the Nintendo Perspective.

For a very long time now.. Nintendo has had a Legacy of Gaming. With some of the most Famous Series of Gaming like Mario and Zelda. The NES Revolutionized Gaming. With 2D Graphics there weren't many households without one. The SNES Later Came out but it had Competition, which was the Sega Genesis. Still Nintendo had great support. A now Huge Fanbase and many companies producing Games for their console.

A few years down the road Nintendo made the N64. A decent console, obviously named N64 for having 64 bits. I had a 4 controller port which was brilliant and fun for games like SSB and 007 Goldeneye. The N64 didn't have so much Game Support but still had a Large Fan Support. The N64 didn't have a lot of games but the games it had were Excellent. SSB, Mario 64, Zelda OOT, Majoras Mask, 007, Perfect Dark, Conker etc etc. However Sony was a huge threat and gained more support. And somewhere in there Sega died out of the race.

With the Playstation 2 already out, Nintendo was to release the Nintendo Gamecube. Being launched a little before the Xbox the Gamecube didn't do too bad at first. However they didn't sell like the previous systems. Nintendo kept the console small which was a good idea. Faster and Better graphically than the PS2 and fairly equal to the Xbox. Nintendo had great games such as Windwaker, OOT MasterQuest, Mario Sunshine, SSBM etc etc.

However Nintendo failed in one aspect. Online gaming. Though many don't play games online or have the access to, Many Xbox's and PS2's were purchased to play online. It also lacked a DVD player which in my personal oppinion didn't matter, but when many went to purchase a console, they wanted the Package.

Now the fun part. The Revolution. Sure we don't really know a whole lot about it. We predict that it'll be the cheapest which will definately help the sales. But the best part of all.,, Drummeral Please.. It can play some if not all the Old Games. From the NES, SNES, N64, and the GC. Plus having new games released. One for example I think will be Mario 128. Being able to play the Older games will be a huge plus. I'll definately have a Revolution. It should bring back a lot of the old Fans. It really will revolutionize gaming.

Lastly I'd like to pull a prediction on Sales Numbers. Of course I want you oppinions on the matter. I'm sorry this was so Fricken long. Most people probably don't have the patience to read through.

My prediction is a close race.

PS3 will sell: 27 Million Consoles
360 will sell: 25 Million Consoles
Rev will sell: 25 Million Consoles

Sony has a huge support base and thats probably why it'll pull out on top. I don't prefer sony but honestly many people do. It'll be a close race and will probably shorten sony's lead for the future.

Remember this was all oppinionated and not factual. And I have no biased oppinion on the matter. Just personal Beliefs on how the console war will end.

Posted by maian

Nice opinions, backed by good evidence. This thread will probably break out in a big argument, but, I see your point. :O

Posted by Prince Shondronai

It remains to be seen how powerful the ps3 really is. We know the processor is powerful, but the ps2's processor was also very powerful in its day, yet the rest of the system was incapable of using that processor to the best of its capabilities. If sony has made the same mistake, I think the X-box 360 will be at least as powerful, comparably. And few know what Nintendo's got under the hood. I think sony's brand name carries so much weight with their fans that any setbacks the ps3 suffers will go unnoticed as millions of them clamber all over each other to get their hands on the things. I have very little faith in sony's main userbase as thinking, bleeding consumers.

I predict Nintendo will continue making the games I love and making a good-sized pile of dough from them. Their days of winning the popularity contest are over, though. As I said, neither rain nor sleet nor slew of games they'd never buy if they didn't have the sony logo on them can shake sony's fans, at least not for a generation or three. Suits me fine. I'm perfectly willing to continue giving the Metal Gear Solid fans buying their fifth iteration of MGS 2 and 3 with new VR missions the finger as I pick up my copies of the sweet, sweet new Zelda games.

Microsoft I predict will do about as well as they have this generation. They're hoping for more, with the momentum of the original X-box, but I don't think their fans have the passion of Nintendo fans or the lemming-like qualities of sony fans. They're out there, and they love their Halo and KOTOR, and I'll certainly be picking up a 360 for the likes of Perfect Dark Zero and Kameo, but I don't think there's much room for growth on Microsoft's end.

Posted by Necrololicon

Wow, I just read through all that. What a waste of time.

You're horribly misinformed. "Console wars"? Console sales are close to meaningless, as they sell for a loss. The PS2, the Xbox, and I believe even the Cube sell for a loss. The PS3 will be selling for one, and the 360 will be selling for one. Numbers of consoles sold helps games sell, but it's almost meaningless in terms of profits.

PS2 may have tons of support, but that doesn't help Sony all that much. The profits they make off third party titles are nowhere near what they make off first party ones- or rather, what they would make if they had many good first party titles. This is why Nintendo does so well, because they make most of their own games and get 100% of the profit. Saying the PS2 is undisputedly the champion is entirely misinformed. You haven't seen Nintendo profit reports, apparently.

SquareEnix supporting the 360? Barely. Everyone went crazy when SquareEnix turned their gaze to Nintendo, and what did it get? Crystal Chronicles, and a couple GBA games; nothing that will stop you from buying a PS2. It will be the same way this time around, the PS3 will get all the big name SquareEnix titles.

Online gaming isn't a huge seller, just yet. Nintendo didn't miss out on much by avoiding it. Infact, they didn't avoid it, it's right there and always has been. They simply stopped producing network adapters because nobody bought them, despite games existing for them.

Your sales predictions show how little you know about the industry. The PS2 has already sold over 300 million consoles and the PS3 is supposed to have twice the shelf life of the PS2. Yeah, that's going to pull in 27 million console sales. Right.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: You're horribly misinformed. "Console wars"? Console sales are close to meaningless, as they sell for a loss. The PS2, the Xbox, and I believe even the Cube sell for a loss. The PS3 will be selling for one, and the 360 will be selling for one. Numbers of consoles sold helps games sell, but it's almost meaningless in terms of profits.

The PS2 sells at profit. The new version is incredibly cheap to make, and the $99 price-tag means they get quite a lot of profit from every console. Same with the GC I believe. It's on the Xbox that's still being sold at a loss (though I may be wrong)
Anyways, the amount of consoles sold means quite a bit. If the PS2 sells a million, the XB 500,000 and the GC 12,000... obviously Sony is going to be making quite a bit more money, as they have more chances of selling software. The more hardware you sell, the more software you sell, the more profit you make.
Plus, consoles start seeing a profit (usually) by the third year.

Quoted post: PS2 may have tons of support, but that doesn't help Sony all that much. The profits they make off third party titles are nowhere near what they make off first party ones- or rather, what they would make if they had many good first party titles. This is why Nintendo does so well, because they make most of their own games and get 100% of the profit. Saying the PS2 is undisputedly the champion is entirely misinformed. You haven't seen Nintendo profit reports, apparently.

Like above, if Sony sells more consoles, they will make more money from third-part software. If they sell enough PS2s, they could potentionally make more money off those games then Nintendo could from a first-party game since they have less constomers to sell the game to.

Quoted post:
Online gaming isn't a huge seller, just yet. Nintendo didn't miss out on much by avoiding it. Infact, they didn't avoid it, it's right there and always has been. They simply stopped producing network adapters because nobody bought them, despite games existing for them

Those were barely online. No one bought into it because it simply sucked.

Posted by Necrololicon

Quoting Vampiro: The PS2 sells at profit. The new version is incredibly cheap to make, and the $99 price-tag means they get quite a lot of profit from every console. Same with the GC I believe. It's on the Xbox that's still being sold at a loss (though I may be wrong)
Anyways, the amount of consoles sold means quite a bit. If the PS2 sells a million, the XB 500,000 and the GC 12,000... obviously Sony is going to be making quite a bit more money, as they have more chances of selling software. The more hardware you sell, the more software you sell, the more profit you make.
Plus, consoles start seeing a profit (usually) by the third year.

That's obvious, and I figured I wouldn't have to point it out. Yeah, if a console totally fails and sells 5,000, it means it's probably not going to compete. Yet the Gamecube hasn't sold nearly as much as the PS2 has, but their quarterly profits have for the most part, been higher. This is why they don't matter with the big three, because it's always close anyway.

I've never heard anything about the PS2 selling for a profit now, and as I said, I only thought the GC sold for a loss, I'm not too sure on that.

The slim PS2 is 150, not 99, and it comes with a network adapter. So it may bring in profits, but I'd say no more than fifty dollars, and it barely matches the overall profits to a single top selling Nintendo game. It's not a huge revenue generator, and at best, might make up for a lot of the losses. The PS2 originally sold at a 100 dollar loss, and the PS3 is thought to, also.

And because you editted your post:
Third party development helps but nowhere near as much. Sony may get 5-10 dollar royalties per game, but Nintendo gets almost 50 every single time. All you have to do is look at their profit numbers though.

As for Nintendo sucking online, it's a matter of opinion. I never bought the PS2 network adapter because I thought it sucked online. I modded my Xbox because aside from a couple games, it sucks online. Phantasy Star Online was fun on the Dreamcast, and I wouldn't have minded playing it on the GC, but I missed out and the game more or less died out.

Quoted post: The slim PS2 is 150, not 99, and it comes with a network adapter. So it may bring in profits, but I'd say no more than fifty dollars, and it barely matches the overall profits to a single top selling Nintendo game. It's not a huge revenue generator, and at best, might make up for a lot of the losses. The PS2 originally sold at a 100 dollar loss, and the PS3 is thought to, also.

Yeah, I screwed it up. But either way, it costs very little to produce.

The point being, consoles still produce profit either way. It does help the companies A LOT, as without them, they would have nothing whatsoever to sell their games on.

Posted by Random

Necrololicon it's Oppinionated first off. I don't really care if you think it's a waste of time. Console Sales may seem meaningless because they do sell for a loss. However if I had the money I would target Sales and loyal fans over Cash. Because in the later run Cash will flow in once everyone enjoys playing your console. Lose money now, Gain money later sort of deal.

So you say online Gaming isn't a huge seller? I'm debating if I should de rep you Noob. Online Gaming is huge now. Millions of Xbox Live subscribers, Millions play PS2 online, and not to mention the Millions that play PC online.

Show me where Sony sold over 300 Million Consoles. Lets see.. At a rate of 6 Billion people on the Earth, 300 million being approximately 1/3 of a Billion.. Not to mention Countries like India and China have a billion to their own and the Millions in Africa and what not. You mean to tell me Sony sold 300 million consoles? Everyone in the U.S. and Japan. Every single Person purchased a PS2? I don't buy it. The number seems too high. Last I checked about last year Sony had sold a little over 60 Million Consoles. I lessened the number for the future console by figuring Pricing into it along with Competition. I rose the Number of Microsoft and Nintendo Sales and lessened Sony but still having Sony as the leader.

Posted by boomstick

Quoting SomebodyRandom: So you say online Gaming isn't a huge seller? I'm debating if I should de rep you Noob. Online Gaming is huge now. Millions of Xbox Live subscribers, Millions play PS2 online, and not to mention the Millions that play PC online.

I think only console games online were only meant.

And I agree, online gaming isn't a huge seller on consoles right now, when you count the near 1 million Xbox Live subscribers to the near 25 million Xboxes sold and the near 2 million online PS2 users to the near 90 million PS2's sold, it's not very big.

It's become bigger then the days of Phantsy Star Online on the Dreamcast, but, as it stands now, it's not that big on consoles, it is growing, but now it's not.

Posted by Random

Theres a few million Xbox Live subscripters now. There was 1 million Subscribers a couple years ago before there was really any great Online Gaming for the Xbox.

It is huge.. There are millions playing Online Consoles and more and more are going Online everyday. It's hard to say it's not a huge seller when Millions are Going Online. Honestly it went from Little to many overnight.

Posted by boomstick

Quoting SomebodyRandom: Theres a few million Xbox Live subscripters now. There was 1 million Subscribers a couple years ago before there was really any great Online Gaming for the Xbox.

It is huge.. There are millions playing Online Consoles and more and more are going Online everyday. It's hard to say it's not a huge seller when Millions are Going Online. Honestly it went from Little to many overnight.

Sources, last I heard, there were about 1.5 million on Xbox Live and slightly more on PS2 online.

Still, even so, what I said still stands, when you compare those numbers to the actual amount of consoles sold, Xbox: 25 million and PS2: 90 million, it's not much, at all, like I said it's growing, but as of now, it's not big, in a couple of years it could be, but not right now.

Posted by Random

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2005/7/21/778

Xbox live has exceeded over 2 Million. I'm having a hard time however finding Sony Online users. It's a growing thing. It is huge because it's becoming larger and better.

Posted by Necrololicon

Quoting SomebodyRandom: Necrololicon it's Oppinionated first off. I don't really care if you think it's a waste of time. Console Sales may seem meaningless because they do sell for a loss. However if I had the money I would target Sales and loyal fans over Cash. Because in the later run Cash will flow in once everyone enjoys playing your console. Lose money now, Gain money later sort of deal.

So you say online Gaming isn't a huge seller? I'm debating if I should de rep you Noob. Online Gaming is huge now. Millions of Xbox Live subscribers, Millions play PS2 online, and not to mention the Millions that play PC online.

Show me where Sony sold over 300 Million Consoles. Lets see.. At a rate of 6 Billion people on the Earth, 300 million being approximately 1/3 of a Billion.. Not to mention Countries like India and China have a billion to their own and the Millions in Africa and what not. You mean to tell me Sony sold 300 million consoles? Everyone in the U.S. and Japan. Every single Person purchased a PS2? I don't buy it. The number seems too high. Last I checked about last year Sony had sold a little over 60 Million Consoles. I lessened the number for the future console by figuring Pricing into it along with Competition. I rose the Number of Microsoft and Nintendo Sales and lessened Sony but still having Sony as the leader.

Oh my, you derepped me, how harsh. For your information though, I've been around these boards and chats since late '98, long before they were Vbulletin based and while the chats were still Beseen. You continue to spew uninformed garbage- I'm not sure why I read someone's "opinion" when they can't even spell the word right.

I was a bit off- I misread. Sony plans on selling over 300 million consoles by the end of the PS2 shelf life. They've reached about 100 million now, which is far beyond your prediction for the PS3, which will have a 10+ year shelf life according to Sony. I'm not sure how mentioning China or India is relevant at all, since China is doing very well economically, and aside from India's large rift between the rich and the poor, the rich, while not a majority, can certainly afford PS2s.

Pricing won't change. The PS3 might start out higher, but it might not. It will drop eventually- and as it has been confirmed, the Xbox 360 will be the same price as the Xbox and the Revolution will be cheap. Nice job doing your homework.

This thread isn't about PC gaming. I'm a huge online PC gamer, but on consoles, I own maybe one or two online games. How many games have you bought just to play online? The only that might even remotely come to mind is Splinter Cell or Halo 2, and both of those are good single player games to begin with. Online gaming hasn't hit consoles big at all- just compare Battlefield 2 online numbers to Xbox Live subscribers.

You can say "oh this is just my opinion", but if someone posts their opinion and says the world is flat, without factual details behind it, I'm going to argue with them so they can't spread their misinformation. I'm doing the same thing here.

sony just reported 90 million, Necrololicon.

Posted by Fate

"About 100 million" covers that.

Posted by Necrololicon

Quoting Prince Shondronai: sony just reported 90 million, Necrololicon.

Not all sales are reported, and that was two months ago. Thanks for trying to correct me, though.

Posted by boomstick

Quoting SomebodyRandom: http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2005/7/21/778

Xbox live has exceeded over 2 Million. I'm having a hard time however finding Sony Online users. It's a growing thing. It is huge because it's becoming larger and better.

So what, my point still stands, that's like 2.2, 2.3, 2.5 million users tops for Xbox Live, when you look at the fact there's about 25 million Xboxes that's been sold, it's not that much.

It's growing, yes, I'm not disputing that, but as of now, online console isn't that big.

Posted by Shade

Quoting SomebodyRandom:

Yes, but the growth seems to be having a hard time keeping up with the number of consoles actually out there. When you have 2 million online users and 25 or 90 million units sold, it's an insignificant number. Also, if I want online play, I'd just get the game on PC, instead of hooking an adapter up to my system, thanks.

Not all sales are reported? Well calculate in all of the sales made to people who just had their old ps2 crap out on them, and I think that makes it more than even.

Posted by Necrololicon

Quoting Prince Shondronai: Not all sales are reported? Well calculate in all of the sales made to people who just had their old ps2 crap out on them, and I think that makes it more than even.

Uhh, what? If my PS2 craps out and I buy a new one, it's a reported sale. Two sales are my doing. Unreported sales would be ones in countries that are less than economically sound and stable.

Right, but rather than saying that ps2's are in 90 million homes, it could be said that 30 million ps2's are in homes, and 60 are in landfills.

Posted by Fate

Speaking of landfills, I'm using the GC right now so it won't get too dusty for when Twilight Princess comes out.

Quoted post: Speaking of landfills, I'm using the GC right now so it won't get too dusty for when Twilight Princess comes out.

This is unfortunately hilarious and true...

Posted by Random

Quoting Shade: Yes, but the growth seems to be having a hard time keeping up with the number of consoles actually out there. When you have 2 million online users and 25 or 90 million units sold, it's an insignificant number. Also, if I want online play, I'd just get the game on PC, instead of hooking an adapter up to my system, thanks.

Yes but there are also other ways of playing Online other than Xbox Live. Take Gamespy for example or XBConnect. Theres multiple Online Gaming other than Xbox Live. There are many who have probably played online and theres many who want to play online that maybe can't afford it or can't run DSL/Cable/T1 where they live. It isn't keeping up now but it's definately going into high demand and will only increase as it goes.

And I wouldn't be suprised about the Landfill.. There are probably Millions upon Millions of Broken PS2's. I believe they have to replace them now for free automatically no matter what because they can be easily damaged. Not sure on that though.

Posted by Necrololicon

Quoting Prince Shondronai: Right, but rather than saying that ps2's are in 90 million homes, it could be said that 30 million ps2's are in homes, and 60 are in landfills.

If that were true it would only be a testament to the PS2's quality (but not durability). If on average, every individual bought three PS2s, it would have to be pretty good.

Posted by Speedfreak

Quoting Vampiro: This is unfortunately hilarious and true...

Know what's funnier? Owning more GC games than PS2 and Xbox combined and doubled OH SNAP.

Seriously though, your prediction is the industry will shrink? Fair enough for PS3 and Xbox, they're doing nothing to buck the shrinking market. Nintendo is, however, and if DS is anything to judge by Revolution should have a decent enough chance.

Fate: yeah, or I just have a taste in games that differs to the tastes the vast majority of PS2 games are aimed at. Chances are I have just as many GC games as you do PS2.

Posted by Random

No I didn't mean that the industry will shrink. i was unsure of Number of Sales so I guesstimated. It'll be larger if anything. I was trying to just throw out numbers to make it look fairly even.

Posted by Lord of Spam

This is the Way that SomebodyRandom uses Capitolization.

This is the correct way. You dont jsut make random words uppercase. Thats not the way it works. Learn the English language, then try again.

Oh, and your "opinions" are about the worst formulated, most inaccurate piles of tripe I've come across yet. You suk at teh pr3d!cti0ns

Posted by Pit

Quoting Speedfreak: Know what's funnier? Owning more GC games than PS2 and Xbox combined and doubled OH SNAP.

Seriously though, your prediction is the industry will shrink? Fair enough for PS3 and Xbox, they're doing nothing to buck the shrinking market. Nintendo is, however, and if DS is anything to judge by Revolution should have a decent enough chance.

Fate: yeah, or I just have a taste in games that differs to the tastes the vast majority of PS2 games are aimed at. Chances are I have just as many GC games as you do PS2.

But didn't you get a PS2 this year or like late last year and have had the GC since it's been out?

EDIT: Lord of Spam, please don't correct someone on grammatical errors when you have spelling problems yourself.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Pit: BEDIT: Lord of Spam, please don't correct someone on grammatical errors when you have spelling problems yourself.

Hitting keys in the wrong sequence and noticing is the extent of my problem. I dont randomly and incorrectly capitalize random words. :cookie:

Posted by Wicked Sushi

I think it's going to go this way:

Playstation will win most of the buyers and Microsoft's XBOX will get it's fair share of buyers too. While Nintendo will suck, as usual, by making games that way to gimmicky, short or stupid and I will cry in the corner about it because I bought their system, hoping that they changed.

Quoted post: Playstation will win most of the buyers and Microsoft's XBOX will get it's fair share of buyers too.

I'm thinking it's the other way around. If the PS2 is too expensive, I think Sony is going to lose some potential buyers.

Posted by Velvet Nightmare

Looks like someone has a little bit of John C. Devorak in them.

Take that as you will.

Posted by Speedfreak

Quoting Pit: But didn't you get a PS2 this year or like late last year and have had the GC since it's been out?

What, you think there isn't a reason I didn't buy a PS2 that whole time? There is, here's a clue: games.

Posted by Pit

Quoting Speedfreak: What, you think there isn't a reason I didn't buy a PS2 that whole time? There is, here's a clue: games.

Oh, here I thought you were just boycotting any product playstation related until recently!

Posted by Aioros

[COLOR=Yellow]

Quoting Speedfreak: Seriously though, your prediction is the industry will shrink? Fair enough for PS3 and Xbox, they're doing nothing to buck the shrinking market. Nintendo is, however, and if DS is anything to judge by Revolution should have a decent enough chance.

If more developers wanted to support Nintendo as much as they do Sony and Microsoft, the Gamecube would also get it's share of titles for the "shrinking market". If more developers offered to put some of their games on the Gamecube, Nintendo would gladly accept them whether they are good or bad. And for the record, there are more original games on the Playstation 2 right now (by original i mean new franchises, games that redefine typical genres, and/or games that just overall make the industry better) than on the Gamecube or Xbox combined. That's not an opinion, it's simply an obvious fact.

BTW Prince Shrondironadroidaonid. You mispelled Sony and PS2, like in every post, i just thought i'd let you know so that you can edit your posts before you make yourself look like an ignoranus, k?

*Remembers he is a lifeless Nintendo worshipper and Sony hater*

Never mind. . .[/COLOR]

Posted by Speedfreak

Quoting Aioros:
If more developers wanted to support Nintendo as much as they do Sony and Microsoft, the Gamecube would also get it's share of titles for the "shrinking market". If more developers offered to put some of their games on the Gamecube, Nintendo would gladly accept them whether they are good or bad. And for the record, there are more original games on the Playstation 2 right now (by original i mean new franchises, games that redefine typical genres, and/or games that just overall make the industry better) than on the Gamecube or Xbox combined. That's not an opinion, it's simply an obvious fact.

BTW Prince Shrondironadroidaonid. You mispelled Sony and PS2, like in every post, i just thought i'd let you know so that you can edit your posts before you make yourself look like an ignoranus, k?

*Remembers he is a lifeless Nintendo worshipper and Sony hater*

Never mind. . .

You missed my point. There's going to be less original games next generation because of the crazy high costs involved, developers will want to produce safe certainties with that kind of risk. And when you have a bunch of the same games coming out you've got consumers losing interest and a shrinking market.

Posted by obryen

Wow, there's a lot of bickering going on in this one.

I've been thinking about the alleged low power of the Revolution compared to that of the Xbox 360 and the PS3. Obviously, if the Revolution is significantly weaker, developers won't be able to port games across all three consoles unless they set the standard at the Revolution's technology, which they're not likely to do. So folks looking for multi-console releases aren't likely to pick up the Revolution, and sales will suffer.

But folks looking for multi-console releases never really bought the Gamecube either, and it was more powerful than the PS2, king of all ports. So there's not likely to be a decline in sales from Gamecube to Revolution.

Finally, if the Revolution is significantly weaker than the other two consoles, that doesn't mean developers are likely to just drop it. They know they've got a market in Nintendo fans, of which there are many. So there are likely to be more Nintendo exclusives from third parties this time around, things along the lines of The Twin Snakes and Kingdom Hearts and all that. This could draw fans of particular companies and series who normally wouldn't take much interest in Nintendo. For example, the only reason I got a PS2 was so I could play Castlevania, Metal Gear, and Mega Man. Also, if the Revolutionary feature ends up as good as it's been hyped, developers will really jump on the bandwagon for Nintendo exclusives. So sales might actually increase due to this.

I guess we'll have to wait and see, but that's my prediction. And I'm really smart.

Posted by Random

Yeah basically what happend with the N64. It was way easier to make games for Discs, than it was to make games for Cartridges so Sony obviously old sold and probably made way more money than the N64 had.

I love the Revolution and the idea's behind it, but I don't expect it to win the Console war. Eh tis too soon. We'll find out later I guess.

Posted by Speedfreak

It's not more difficult to put games on carts, you tit. They're a frickin storage medium.

Posted by obryen

Hey, that's hurtful, and we have a no put-down policy in place here. Say you're sorry.

But seriously, I think what he/she/it (I can't be bothered to check the profile) meant was that designing games for cartridges could be harder, as with the increased graphics and sound capabilities, there was a lot less storage space on cartridges than CDs, so you had to get creative.

Posted by Wicked Sushi

Carts are a lot more expensive. That's all.

Posted by BlackOps

Let's not forget the Xbox 360's separate equipment you need to buy to play old Xbox games. PS3 allows free play of PS1 and PS2 games. Revolution? I don't know. But this could play as a huge factor in the sales and popularity.

Posted by obryen

The Revolution is backward compatible with Gamecube games, and will have an online database allowing you to download many, if not all, old N64, SNES, and NES games. It might even have Gamecube downloads, but that seems a little unlikely considering that the download size would be massive, and wouldn't fit on the memory card, and I don't think the Revolution is supposed to have a hard drive.

Posted by Fate

Game companies from back then have either died, merged, or don't have good relations with Nintendo anymore. For now, Nintendo-only games would be released. Don't get your hopes up if some Rare games don't make the cut.

Posted by Random

Quoting BlackOps: Let's not forget the Xbox 360's separate equipment you need to buy to play old Xbox games. PS3 allows free play of PS1 and PS2 games. Revolution? I don't know. But this could play as a huge factor in the sales and popularity.

You don't need to purchase seperate equipment to play XBox games on your 360. Where you got that I haven't the slightest idea.

Posted by obryen

Quoting Fate: Game companies from back then have either died, merged, or don't have good relations with Nintendo anymore. For now, Nintendo-only games would be released. Don't get your hopes up if some Rare games don't make the cut.

Oh drat, you're right. I was looking forward to playing Jet Force Gemini without having to blow on the cartridge every time. But then Rare has been making the occasional game for Nintendo anyway, so there's a decent chance it'll happen. And games from dead companies should be easy enough to get, considering that those who hold the rights aren't getting much of any money for the games, and would probably take just about anything.