Post count

Posted by Poison

Is there someone deleting threads? I was at 99 posts yesterday and I'm at 94 posts today, what the heck is going on? If this goes on, I wont have any real posts :(

Posted by Jesse Smith

Bad spammer bad!!!!

Posted by Ex-Linkman

Fate is cleaning out Off Topic. Chances are that's how some got deleted.

Posted by Ant

Uhh...was she deleting some really old ones, cause I didn't see any of the recent ones deleted. And if the old ones are getting deleted...why?

Posted by Poison

Must be all apart of her evil plan of good, ness!

Posted by loony636

I had that problem too. And no Jesse, I'm not a spammer.

Posted by Fate

There seem to be threads that had a lot of irrelevant crap in them. Also, posts that link to something funny or stupid are gone, or moved. Even I've contributed to some pretty pointless stuff before, so you guys aren't the only ones with counts going down. It'll be done soon enough.

Posted by Poison

Quoting Fate: There seem to be threads that had a lot of irrelevant crap in them. Also, posts that link to something funny or stupid are gone, or moved. Even I've contributed to some pretty pointless stuff before, so you guys aren't the only ones with counts going down. It'll be done soon enough.

Quoting Poison: Must be all apart of her evil plan of good, ness!

For the 3 or 4 months I

Posted by Shade

Um, why delete the old threads that aren't doing any harm to the site? I lost about 70 posts, btw.

Posted by Shin-Ra

I wish post counts were done away with. :(

Posted by Fate

Quoting Shade: Um, why delete the old threads that aren't doing any harm to the site? I lost about 70 posts, btw.

Well, threads that are pushed back three pages because of crap on the first two are now easily accessible. If you lost 70 posts, you must post some really ****ty one-liners or irrelevant stuff.

Posted by Pit

POST COUNTS ARE SO IMPORTANT RAGH!

I didn't even notice if some of mines were deleted, nor do I care.

Posted by Dexter

I like having a posts count.

Posted by Poison

Sure, Mr. 10k posts, I bet you love post counts *wink wink*

Posted by Random

Hrm.. i made a post already about this lol.

Posted by Ant

I lost 80 something, as well.

Seems kinda pointless to go that far back. But, whatever floats your boat. GO MOD POWERZ

Posted by Dexter

Jesse should fix it so that if your posts has been alive for a certain amount of time that it forever stays as part of your total. I've notice that may posts seems to sink faster than I have been posting lately. For my last 150 posts, only about 50 to 70 of them seemed to live.

Posted by Ex-Linkman

That would require vB hacking. Jesse couldn't hack his way out of a paper bag

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

At least something's being done to spruce up the place. *shrugs*

Posted by Pit

Quoting Dexter: Jesse should fix it so that if your posts has been alive for a certain amount of time that it forever stays as part of your total. I've notice that may posts seems to sink faster than I have been posting lately. For my last 150 posts, only about 50 to 70 of them seemed to live.

Oh noes, you lose a meaningless number.

People still know who you are.

Posted by The Judge

Well, this answers my question to why I was down nearly 900 posts. *My Gawd I'm disgusting*

Quoting The Judge: Well, this answers my question to why I was down nearly 900 posts. *My Gawd I'm disgusting*

You are digusting...
Now I kinda wish I knew what I had before... though I don't think I've dropped very much. Though it would be interesting to know how much garbage I've posted in Off-Topic.

Posted by Iris

Cleaning out old threads = less bumped threads.

Posted by Arczu

As if loosing 50-100 posts matters that much.

I don't think I've lost any come to think of it. But that's just me.

However, you people with more rep than your posts should be slashed!

Posted by Fate

Quoting Iris: Cleaning out old threads = less bumped threads.

Precisely.

Posted by Ant

It's not like it was that outragous of a problem in the first place.

Posted by Fate

Notice how members are now replying to posts that were originally three pages behind?

I know what I'm doing.

Posted by Last Fog

I don't see the point in it. They've been there all this time and no one seemed to care, including you, Fate. Otherwise why didn't you delete it as it came along, if it's so spammy. Off topic is, after all, [I]off topic. But whatever.

Posted by Fate

First of all, I can't delete things I'm not a moderator of. Second, Off Topic doesn't give people leeway to post stupid one-liners like "I agree" or "meh, whatever." Also, it makes things nicer and keeps legitimate posts at the front where they should be.

The real question is: Why shouldn't I?

Posted by Ex-Linkman

The rep system is the reason Off Topic got so abused. People posting the stupidest shit in an attempt to be funny. Considering the majority of people with desturbed senses of humor, they usually got what they wanted, rep whored. The rep system shouldn't exist because it's horribly mistreated.

SO, hopefully hyper can find the time to create this hack he thought up. A hack that lets mods take away some rep points when deleting people's posts. Chances are, the more rep that you have, the more rep that'll be taken.

Posted by brownoystercult

Eh, doesn't really matter. It's not like you guys were going to go back and read in almost all of those threads you posted in. Just be happy it doesn't affect your reputation points. Though I lost about about 70 posts, I could careless. Good job, Fate!

Posted by Fate

It's cool. I lost quite a bit, myself.

Posted by Poison

Woot, down to 87 posts...how low can I go (before I go under 10 posts and then I become a noob with no power of rep)?

Posted by Arczu

But one thing still stirs in my mind.

The people who have thousands of posts, is it possible to view their 1st post? I've found this to be nearly impossible because that search only shows your last 200.

Posted by Ex-Linkman

Some people had their's brought over from vB2. Jesse was doing that at one point. My post count is my total posts going back to Febuary 2003.

Posted by Fate

Quoting Poison: Woot, down to 87 posts...how low can I go (before I go under 10 posts and then I become a noob with no power of rep)?

Don't feel bad! Some threads were moved, so I don't know what posts count. Also, I don't mod just Off Topic.

Posted by Ant

Now I'm down about 150. How pointless the deletion of all these threads are.

Posted by brownoystercult

How pointless the complaints of the deletion of all these threads is.

Posted by Last Fog

I'm down almost a hundred. Just when I was anticipating my 1,000th post, too. >:[

Posted by Fate

Seriously, you guys, it's not a frickin' milestone or anything.

Posted by Ant

I took the time out of my day to make those posts. So I kind of take it to heart when my time gets deleted.

[quote=Fate]Well, ever think that your posts could be crap? Food for thought. :-*

ALL MY POSTS ARE GOLD! But seriously, I doubt I made that many ****ty posts :/

Posted by loony636

I'm down another 50 posts. It looks like my n00bish dreams of reaching 1,000 posts are never going to be realised. *sob*

Posted by Ex-Linkman

For the love of god, it's just a number! It's not like it determands how smart you are. Besides, if you don't want your post count lowered, don't participate in stupid threads. It's that simple.

Posted by Prince Redon

Quoting Arczu:
However, you people with more rep than your posts should be slashed!

Hey be nice! ;)

Ant has repped just about everyone in this thread...Congrats Ant!

I have went down almost 100 post...I am pretty sure that I have not spammed that much...

I personally don't care what my post count is (notice it's not high, because I post where I want when I want, and not just places to get another post) but I'm just hoping that Fate doesn't turn into a Nazi Mod...IE deleting every post that isn't "Worthy" of existance.

Quoted post: I have went down almost 100 post...I am pretty sure that I have not spammed that much...

From what I gather, it's not just spam... but unnecessary posts. Which are quite different, and which I imagine we all have a lot of.

Quoted post:
but I'm just hoping that Fate doesn't turn into a Nazi Mod...IE deleting every post that isn't "Worthy" of existance.

Why not? If it's a useless post, why shouldn't it be deleted?

Posted by Jesse Smith

I'm guessing he's deleting one thread at a time. When you mass-prune, the post count doesn't go down. I thought it only went down when you deleted one reply at a time!

Edit: %^&***%^^&$%() I've lost atleast 250 high quality spam/wacko free posts. :(:(:(

Posted by loony636

Stop him doing it Jesse! n00bs need teh post counters to feel important!

Posted by Prince Redon

[Quote=Vampiro]From what I gather, it's not just spam... but unnecessary posts. Which are quite different, and which I imagine we all have a lot of.

But it's off-topic...It's not like any of them are useful in the first place, it's all just for fun.

Quoted post: But it's off-topic...It's not like any of them are useful in the first place, it's all just for fun.

I think you're confusing the Wacko board with the Off-Topic board. You can still have fun and not post useless trivial. Off-Topic simply means not on-topic of what the forum pertains to... which would be videogaming. It doesn't mean that it's a spam board, instead, it's a place for discussion about anything not about video games (or the community/et cetera)

Posted by Poison

Quoting Fate: Seriously, you guys, it's not a frickin' milestone or anything.

Well, we are just not used to a mod that actually does this much work.

Posted by Corrupt

Huh, I didn't even notice that my post count went down until just now. Big deal.

Posted by sabre

Yeah, I'm the same as Corrupt. In fact, I'm still not sure mine's went down at all; I don't actually remember what it was beforehand.

Oh, and I pretty much agree with all of Vamp's posts in this thread.

Posted by Poison

Quoting Arczu]Heh, another thing I wonder.

Reputation Power is given for every 1,000 posts huh? What if you get to the next thousand, gets some posts deleted till it falls under, then post more to get back over? Would you retain your power, or would you gain another point of power? Hmm...

Posted by Boner

Mine seems to have gone down by about 100. Hey, look at the bright side people; It makes your rep to post count ratio look that much better! :-D

Posted by Poison

Quoting Arczu]Poison... your reputation-to-post ratio is so ridiculouse that I'm not even gonna calculate it. I think your gonna end up having more power than most people at your # of posts.

But if what I think is true, I could be on the brink of getting a few extra points of power... or not.

Posted by Poison

It's 12:1 or 12 rep for each of my posts. If Jesse didn't lowered the rep power count, I would have the power ten, but he did. Anyway, the power of 5 is not really that bad, if you considering how long I have been on VGC. I would just like to thank all you guys who have reped me. Thank you guys, you guys rule :)

Quoted post: Reputation Power is given for every 1,000 posts huh? What if you get to the next thousand, gets some posts deleted till it falls under, then post more to get back over? Would you retain your power, or would you gain another point of power? Hmm...

I believe your rep power would fall back down when your post count went under. Once it goes back over, I'm pretty sure you would get that one point back...

Quoted post: Poison... your reputation-to-post ratio is so ridiculouse that I'm not even gonna calculate it

Yeah, but you're not taking into account all his posts in blogs. It probably wouldn't be that big of a difference I'm sure.

Posted by Arczu

Woops... never factored in those!

Posted by Fate

Uh, on a side note, 100 posts out of General Gaming, Community, War, and Off Topic is actually pretty low. :(

Posted by Last Fog

[quote]From what I gather, it's not just spam... but unnecessary posts. Which are quite different, and which I imagine we all have a lot of. What the hell is that supposed to mean? This entire forum is "unnecessary". Why does everyone take this stuff so seriously? VGC is a place to have fun and pass time, not worry about if everything you post is "necessary". If that's the case, might as well do away with the entire community board, cause that's about as unnecessary as it gets. Every other thread in there results in some petty little argument or another "omg its ur birthday". Getting rid of spam is one thing, but as long as a thread has a specific topic, and decent discussion, I think deleted it is wrong. But hey, that's just me.

Posted by Fate

I got rid of birthday threads from two months ago, except for Jesse's. You want me to clean out more? You got it. And, if you know about the way Off Topic works, the Community Board was created to separate the two ideas of personal threads and discussion threads. I don't delete decent threads.

Also, if you've ever participated in a posting game that was left in Off Topic by accident, it's now moved to Posting Games, a forum I don't think counts. Good day!

Posted by Dexter

So I've only made 2 legitimate posts since I reached 10,000? Give me a break.

Posted by Fate

No, you've made past ****ty posts that made you reach 10,000 in the first place. Shut up.

Posted by NegativeTrend

In conclusion, stop deleting ****?

Posted by Fate

That's what people are proposing. I say no.

Posted by Dexter

Girls are bizarre. This reminds me of the days when my sister still lived with me. I'm a clean person. I was voted as a perfectionist by some of the members here, actually, but compared to her, I'm real easy going and tolerating. I let things go, especially trivial details. I don't mind if I leave home with a few dishes in the sink. I carry this manner with me as I mod. I'm not overly strict. I don't demand anything near perfection. If someone was mentioning the song they were listening to without telling anything about the song or giving any sort of opinion or further contribution a few times, I'd let it go. If they continued to do it abundantly, however, I may take a course of action. This is VGC. Things should be allowed to go here and there. One of the great attributes of this place is the permitting of actions that is terribly restricted in other places. It gives this place more of a home feeling and community like aura when we have little replies to each other that may be off-topic but directed towards someone. That's an element towards making this place great. Don't waste your time searching through old threads for material to get rid of. Just let it be and be easy-going like the majority of other mods. If you keep this up, you

Posted by Fate

Come on, Dex. I'm sure you've noticed as well as I have that old threads are being brought back into light now that the stuff in between has been cleared. I like the little discussions that happen, too, so I just move them to the Community Board.

Posted by Dexter

I haven't noticed, actually, but I haven't been around much since you became mod. I'll take your word for it and go exploring.

Welcome to the team, by the way. I'm glad you're here and I hope it works.

Posted by The Judge

Holy sh*t, my count just keeps going down and down! I must have been in a fugue the past few weeks or something.

Posted by Fate

Well, you seem to contribute to introduction threads quite a bit. :|

Posted by The Judge

What do you expect? I want people to have a d*mned warm welcome!

Besides, I'm like a ray of kindness in a sea of *ssholes when it comes to talking to new members.

Posted by Prince Redon

[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue][B]HeHe...A sea of a*holes is a pretty sick image...

[QUOTE=Dexter]Girls are bizarre. This reminds me of the days when my sister still lived with me. I'm a clean person. I was voted as a perfectionist by some of the members here, actually, but compared to her, I'm real easy going and tolerating. I let things go, especially trivial details. I don't mind if I leave home with a few dishes in the sink. I carry this manner with me as I mod. I'm not overly strict. I don't demand anything near perfection. If someone was mentioning the song they were listening to without telling anything about the song or giving any sort of opinion or further contribution a few times, I'd let it go. If they continued to do it abundantly, however, I may take a course of action. This is VGC. Things should be allowed to go here and there. One of the great attributes of this place is the permitting of actions that is terribly restricted in other places. It gives this place more of a home feeling and community like aura when we have little replies to each other that may be off-topic but directed towards someone. That's an element towards making this place great. Don't waste your time searching through old threads for material to get rid of. Just let it be and be easy-going like the majority of other mods. If you keep this up, you

Posted by Caryatid

My post count was already pathetic compared to most of the other posters on VGC. I don't think I post often enough to make up for the lost posts in due time...

Posted by Fate

Hey, I don't care if you welcome people. I think it's a nice thing to do. But when someone makes an I'm-back thread, people like yourself, as nice as you are, welcome back members for the hell of it. Hmm, let me see if I can remember a specific example... Uh, there was this girl named Hikairi that I screwed around with. I found her introduction thread. People just reponded with simple hellos, and then proceeded to change the subject in the same thread. Forgive me if I'm a little bit astonished at the "wtf" rate escalation.

Example of one-liners that serve no purpose than post +1:
http://www.vgchat.com/showthread.php?t=5957

I thought the thread was frickin' hilarious, so I kept it up. But you can see my point about the one-liner thing.

Posted by The Judge

I still fail to see the utility of deleting old posts that no one will end up viewing any more in old threads. That just seems like a way to kill boredom. It reduces everyone's post counts for posts that are long forgotten.

Posted by Iris

She's cleaning the boards. So what? Not only do those old threads show up on google and attract idiot members to bump them, it makes the place crowded. And it's just your post count. It serves no purpose other than displaying the amount of posts you've made, not deciding your personality or intelligence. It's nothing to be insecure about.

Although, I don't think Fate is leaving much work for the other mods. That's fine with me, though! :D

Quoted post: What the hell is that supposed to mean? This entire forum is "unnecessary". Why does everyone take this stuff so seriously? VGC is a place to have fun and pass time, not worry about if everything you post is "necessary". If that's the case, might as well do away with the entire community board, cause that's about as unnecessary as it gets. Every other thread in there results in some petty little argument or another "omg its ur birthday". Getting rid of spam is one thing, but as long as a thread has a specific topic, and decent discussion, I think deleted it is wrong. But hey, that's just me.

I don't think you quite get what I meant.

Posted by Jesse Smith

Quoting Poison: Well, we are just not used to a mod that actually does this much work.

LOL!!! I'm suprised none of the other mods de-reped you for saying they don't do very much work!!!!!! :D

Quoting The Judge: Wassup.

That post is NOT worth an increase in post-count!!!

The only reason posts count down in the off-Topic boards is cause I post in them!!!! If I had always posted in the blogs, then they would of probably counted!! :D:D:D:D

A great hack would be one that makes you only increase in post count if there are more than XX characters in the post!

Posted by Fate

Actually, Jesse, that sounds like a good idea.

Posted by Last Fog

Quoting Jesse Smith: A great hack would be one that makes you only increase in post count if there are more than XX characters in the post!
People would abuse that too. Like typing random keys at the end of every post in spoilers.

Quoted post: People would abuse that too. Like typing random keys at the end of every post in spoilers.

That would take to much work.

Posted by Ex-Linkman

Jesse with a good idea? Shocker.

A hack like that would take 10 minutes to create if you knew what you're doing. It probably already exists.

Posted by Poison

Well, if we use that character hack, some people might complain when they can

[QUOTE]Well, if we use that character hack, some people might complain when they can

Posted by Poison

Quoting Vampiro: Posts like that are the whole reason this hack should be installed

I tried my very best not to respond with "zing" just now.

Anyway, if they do install the hack, some members will be forces to think and we know how some members hate to think.

Posted by Last Fog

You're still aloud to submit 1 word posts, they just wont add to your count. Who's not thinking now?

ZING!

Posted by Poison

Oh, I thought it was the same hack

Quoted post: Counter-zing?

Not if it wasn't one in the first place...

Posted by Fate

It doesn't matter. I'll delete zing-posts. Zinging is for reputation.

Posted by loathing

Post counts are pointless and encourage elitism!

Elitism is still there without post counts. You'd have to get rid of every identifying mark of a member to totally get rid of it.

Posted by Jesse Smith

Quoting Last Fog: People would abuse that too. Like typing random keys at the end of every post in spoilers.

Mods would have full permission to delete any posts that did that and hopefully many of them would generate de-reps. We all know every one is a rep freak!!!!

:::Jesse with a good idea? Shocker.

Oh crud!!! I think I just messed up!!!! Now click that 'I agree' button!!! :D:D:D

Posted by Prince Redon

I vote we go for the hack Jesse speaks of...Does anyone know how to make a hack like that?

Posted by Poison

I don't know...I'm not a hacker, but I know a site that uses the hack. If I post the site, that

Posted by Arczu

I believe the term is "coder" or something...

It would not take too long at all. Even though I don't know php or anything, A simple boolean check could definately be possible in such shot time.

Posted by ArchAngel312

*Takes a break from the 'Hack' speech*

I posted a ton yesterday, and when I got on today everything I posted was gone. My cookies are enabled, so I don't see why this was happening. All of my posts were completely legit. I checked the rules to see if I broke any, and I founfd not a single reason for any of my posts to be deleted. They were all easily a paragraph or two and I even had one that was four. Please tell me why all of my posts were deleted.

The forums were "hacked". Almost everything was deleted. But Jesse restored it using a back-up.

Posted by Jesse Smith

Quoting ArchAngel312: I posted a ton yesterday, and when I got on today everything I posted was gone.

You picked a bad time to start posting!! Out of the last five months since you registered, WHY did you pick this week to start posting??!!

Posted by Dexter

I lost my 10,000! This is an outrage!

Posted by Jesse Smith

LOL!!! Blame the moding on the Off-Topic boards!!!! :D:D:D:D:D

Posted by Dexter

maybe i just spam too much

Posted by Jesse Smith

Now now, you would NEVER admit to spamming!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D

Posted by The Judge

psst, Jesse, rep me so I can have my original rep back :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Quoted post: psst, Jesse, rep me so I can have my original rep back

It is back...

Posted by Dexter

Quoting Jesse Smith: Now now, you would NEVER admit to spamming!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D

Well, someone doesn't like my contributions! :amy:

Posted by Pit

Quoting Dexter: maybe i just spam too much

I could've told you that.

BURN.

Posted by The Judge

Quoting Vampiro: It is back...

It was at 3583 before the hack.

Yes, I do know exactly what my rep is at all times.

Posted by Jesse Smith

Oh, you want me to de-rep you??? I'll gladly do that!!! :D:D:D:D:D

Posted by ArchAngel312

[quote=Jesse Smith]You picked a bad time to start posting!! Out of the last five months since you registered, WHY did you pick this week to start posting??!!

I picked to start posting yesterday becuase I recently discovered that one of my best friends was active on this site, and I decided to come back and become an active member.

Posted by The Judge

Bad timing.

Posted by Poison

Quoting The Judge: It was at 3583 before the hack.

Yes, I do know exactly what my rep is at all times.

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one that lots rep from the restore. Yea, misery loves company :(

Posted by Arczu

Quoting Dexter: I lost my 10,000! This is an outrage!

My Quote of the year...

Man... I must posting in the wrong places, because I'm further ahead there where I was last week. Everyone AROUND me seems to be losing posts...

Posted by Jesse Smith

Sheese, you all only lost three days of fliping rep/posts!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ugggg!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D