WHERE THE HELL DO THE SIMPSONS LIVE???

Posted by KoH

As in, what state.

I've asked Jeeves but he's useless... After all, he's only a butler. So... answer using evidence from one or more of the episodes, or introduce theories about where they live.

I can tell you one thing though, in one episode Lisa said something to do with where they live and then said regarding their location:

"It's pretty easy to guess if you pay attention to the clues."

Posted by brownoystercult

Funny, just recently I too wanted to know there exact whereabouts. I got pretty close.

There is only ONE episode of the SIMPSONS that gives a clue of which state the Simpsons live in.

I just bought the VHS box set, SIMPSONS: POLITICAL PARTY (I know...VHS, but I'm a Simpsons freak), and there's an episode on the second videocassette called "Duffless" where Homer gets his driver's license revoked, cause he gets arrested by Chief Wiggum for driving Barney home, while under the influence.

Well, you know how there are so many freeze-frame treats that viewers may NOT see the first time around in certain Simpsons episodes?

There is ONE scene in a courtroom where the judge is reviewing Homer's license suspension and they ZOOM IN on the license for a SPLIT SECOND before they cut to Selma stamping it "void."

Well, I've freeze-framed the license and here's how it reads:

SPRINGFIELD

Driver License: C4043243 Class: C

Homer J. Simpson
742 Evergreen Terrace
Springfield, NT 49007 (Yes. It clearly says: "N.T.")

Sex: M
Hair: None
Eyes: Blue
Ht: 6'
Wt: 240
DOB: 05-12-56

So, it's clear. Whichever state's abbreviation is NT, means that the writers of the Simpsons probably want, in that split second, to have the human eye to register it as New York, New Jersey, or New something or another.

I do believe there are about 53 SpringFields though.

Posted by Borealis

Illinois.

EDIT: Oh, Roinkz. :cheer:

Posted by Master Chief 12

[Font=Tahoma][Size=2][Color=Orange]Homer also sings a Flinstone-esque song in which he states-"Simpson, Homer Simpson, he's the greatest guy in history. From the town of Springfield, he's about to hit a chesnut tree(CRASH). So I'd say the obvious-Illinois. Listen to the song here-[URL=http://users.aol.com/dopplr4000/private/flntstne.wav]Simpson-Flinstone song[/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Posted by Ant

...that's nice.

My guess is in some alternate universe.

Posted by Legend Saber

Quoting Roinkz]Springfield, NT 49007 (Yes. It clearly says: "N.T.")
Legend Saber [11:59 PM]: Your location has been set to Kalamazoo, MI (49007).
Lol. Talk about an oxymoron. >.>
[QUOTE=Roinkz]DOB: 05-12-56

Lmao, Homer Simpson was born three days before my mom.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Illinois, because Springfield is close to a Shelbyville.

Posted by Aioros

[COLOR=Yellow]Some trivia from imdb that will probably answer the question:

"The location of the fictitious town of Springfield is never revealed. Whenever they locate the town on a map, for instance, we never see the map. In the "Behind The Music" episode the state is mentioned but there are several versions of the show, each with a different state name (including Kentucky and Missouri), to keep the not-revealing-the-location-of-Springfield joke going."

"In the episode "A Tale of Two Springfields", Springfield is split into two area codes, 636 and 939. This would put half of Springfield in Missouri and the other half in Puerto Rico."

"Springfield is 678 miles from Mexico City and 2,653 miles away from Orlando, Florida. Entertainingly, both cannot be true."

"In one episode a letter to Mr. Burns from the Simpsons does not show the state the Simpsons live in, but reads Mr. Burns as living in Springfield, New Jersey"

Bottom line, there is no official state that they live in. There have been few episodes which depict their location, each with a different state.[/COLOR]

Posted by Arczu

I don't see too much sense of not telling where they live. All we know is that they live in "Springfeild". But, it seems that the location moves depending on the episode.

Either we are all missing one big episode, or it wasn't meant to be revealed. Not to mention there won't be anybody who's willing to scan through each and every episode to look for clues.

Posted by Bebop

One epsiode states that the south of Springfeild, where there are oil rigs, is 3 times the size of Texas.

Yup. Texas.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Actually, when the show first came about, it was revealed which state they live in, and now I've forgotten what it was.

But that's irrelevant because in one episode, the town became so polluted that they loaded up the entire city onto flatbed trucks and moved it out of state. I remember the episode ended with Homer, standing at his front door while his house was sailing down the road, and he threw an empty potato chip bag out the door, and blew up against the leg of a Native American, and it zoomed in on his face as he shed a tear (just like that old TV spot), and then his friend said, "You might not want to look behind you", because the entire city of Springfield was nothing but a trash dump, and the Native American did look behind him, and it then cut to closing credits, as the man screamed.

Also, at the end of one episode, the Simpsons have been banned from Florida, for almost killing a legendary crocodile named "Captian Jack". Marge has a map of the USA on the wall, with all the states crossed out that they have been banned from. She remarks, "Only two states left. Arizona and North Dakota."

Posted by Mystic Hero

They live in Springfield, Illinois. In some episodes they do mention the town and state. Sometimes when they give the news the reporter will say something like: "it was a dire day for Springfield Illinois," or something. So I am sure that they do live in Illinois, but I could be mistaken.

Posted by Mystic Hero

Oops, hit that darn remove button on accident. Anyway here is a little something I picked up: http://www.snpp.com/guides/springfield.list.html

In some episodes the guy on the news would say something along the lines of "it was a dire day for Springfield Illinois" or something to that effect. This indicates that they may indeed live in Springfield, or maybe that the author just decided to place them in Illinois for that particular episode. There have been many assumptions as to where they really live, but it seems that Springfield can belong to any state the author chooses to stick them in.

Posted by bazariah

Quoting Mystic Hero: but it seems that Springfield can belong to any state the author chooses to stick them in.

thats all it is, springfield will change it's location all the time... it's one of those cartoon things, it doesnt have to be the same state each time and thats the joke....

also the characters apparently have D.O.B's yet they remain the same age each episode.. and aside from the one major episode of who shot mr burns no two episodes ever realy have any thing major plot wise in common with each other which needs the next part to follow to understand whats happening

Posted by veritas

THEY LIVE IN KENTUCKY!!!!!.

In the one episode called, "Behind the Laughter" It tells you that they live in Kentucky. Check it out for yourself

Posted by bazariah

Quoting 2fast4u: THEY LIVE IN KENTUCKY!!!!!.

In the one episode called, "Behind the Laughter" It tells you that they live in Kentucky. Check it out for yourself

that means jack sh[SIZE=2]it[/SIZE], it was stated they lived there, but also it has been said they live in other states.. so just take it as that, it's a fuc[SIZE=2]king[/SIZE] cartoon and as such it is made for comedy/entertainment purposes so if they lived here, there or anywhere it donesnt matter because they are nothing more than ink and animation cells

Posted by veritas

well we obiously dont know for sure. So how can you say they dont live there?

Posted by Mystic Hero

Quoting bazariah: thats all it is, springfield will change it's location all the time... it's one of those cartoon things, it doesnt have to be the same state each time and thats the joke....

also the characters apparently have D.O.B's yet they remain the same age each episode.. and aside from the one major episode of who shot mr burns no two episodes ever realy have any thing major plot wise in common with each other which needs the next part to follow to understand whats happening

It's just one of those cartoon things that other cartoonists do. If the author decided to make the characters grow older I'm sure we wouldn't find the series as apealing had they stayed the same age. It's what some cartoonists love to do. Each episode has no connection with the other most of the time. I kind of like cartoons like that.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Quoting 2fast4u: well we obiously dont know for sure. So how can you say they dont live there?

No one has said that they don't live there. They actually do live in Kentucky.

But, in one episode, they've been banned from Kentucy, and legally can only enter Arizona and North Dakota. Therefore, they must live in either Arizona, or North Dakota.

And in another episode, they're stated to live in Illinois.

So you see, they do live in Kentucky, and Arizona, and Illinois and every other state.

Posted by Tinkleheimer

I live in Springfield Illinois and used to be the biggest Simpsons geek. I wrote to Simpsons Comics (Issue #70) and got pubslished. Bastards wouldn't tell me where though. There is a Shelbyville by Springfield here. We have a power plant (I live by it) I am crazy as hell and my hair is falling out (which means it might be nuclear). Just the only arguement is they say they are going to capitol city. :( Oh well

Posted by omegga

In one of the "Treehouse of horrors" Homer manages to clone himself, and this heard of cloned Homers becomes a threat to the military, so when they're planning what to do they show where the "Homers" inhabit now, in 2 days, 4 days and when they say a week they zoom out to show America and the "Homers" spread all over, but when it first show the map, the "Homers" spread from 3 states, California, Kentucky and North Dakota, so maybe its one of them!

Posted by Tinkleheimer

Quoting 2fast4u: THEY LIVE IN KENTUCKY!!!!!.

It said they were from Kentucky, not that Springfield was in Kentucky.