ITT: Scott gets an iPod

Posted by MetalVox~55

I will keep you all updated on my adventures with my new iPod. :)

Posted by Echo

Good for you, you conceited bastard. (jk i <3 scoot)

I want an iPod..... :(

Posted by Porcupine

:link:

Posted by G-Sides

MUDDAFUKA U AINT GET A CREATIVE ZEN!?!!?!?!

I have an iPod. :(

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: I have an iPod.

I have a mini :(

:link:

Which one did you get, by the way?

Posted by MetalVox~55

20 giger

edit: the H.R. style :)

edit 2:
c'mon guys don't...
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/metalvox/Jul31125.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/metalvox/Jul31124.jpg[/IMG]

Quoted post: 20 giger

edit: the H.R. style

Remind me to rep you for that joke.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting Vampiro: Remind me to rep you for that joke.

hey, you need to rep me :)

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to MetalVox~55 again."

****it!

Posted by Richaod

I've got one already. :)

What's ITT?

"In This Thread" I believe. Though I know there are other means...

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

OMG selloutz

...I've got a Toshiba Gigabeat, suckaz.

Posted by Dexter

Today I brought my 60GB ipod with me to Home Depot to get supplies for an upcoming doghouse project and I had it playing Venetian Snare the entire time. Made it quite the enjoyable adventure.

My nieces were watching a video I had on there that consisted of me playing with Aesthetic's cat. They were giggling and wanting to play with the cat, too. It was really adorable.

I once upon a time had a full 30GB ipod but the screen started to malfunction to the point where it was a blank white screen so I took it back to Costco and updated to the 60GB.

Over one year old but worth the bump. Someone had to talk about their ipod adventures. I couldn't wait any longer.

Posted by KoH

Ipod sucks.

Wings, I've been thinking about getting that. What say you, how is it?

Get an S-series, not an F. I don't even think they make the F any more.

I've never had a problem with my F-series. It's Toshiba, so it's built like a tank and can withstand just about as much damage, even though it is a hard drive and not flash-based. I've only got one scratch on the front in about a year and a half of use, and it's not on the screen.

Controls are very similar to the Zen, and the only thing that's worse than the iPod (apart from design, of course).

It does have it's quirks; it seems to favour tracks from shorter albums on Random All play, and you need a dock to sync with WMP (it comes with the dock and its own software called Gigabeat Room to organise tracks, which I find excellent).

All in all, if you've got an iPod on one side and a Gigabeat on the other, I'd call a no-brainer for the Gigabeat. It's cheaper, more robust, and zomg nonconfomrist!1!.

Posted by Klarth

I'm getting a 5.5G 30GB iPod in just over two weeks.

Yay me.

HAVE YOU NOT BEEN PAYING ATTENTION TO MY WORDS

WHY WAS THIS BUMPED?!

And there's nothing wrong with ipods.

Posted by Arcadios

Gigabeat > iPod

Posted by Dexter

What's the differences? I've never used a Gigabeat before.

Posted by Arcadios

I had both.
My last gigabeat was dropped and scratch so much but it still worked and I had it for about 1 year and one half.
I only had my iPod for about 5 months and it broke.

Because you suck. I've had no problems yet. Seriously, I don't see why so many people hate the ipod. Seems fine by me, and I'm pretty particular about these things.

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Wings: HAVE YOU NOT BEEN PAYING ATTENTION TO MY WORDS

NO I HAVE NOT BECAUSE I AM NOT ANTIMAINSTREAM AND I LIKE FUNCTIONALITY

iPod adds next to nothing on functionality any more when compared to other players.

Quoted post: iPod adds next to nothing on functionality any more when compared to other players.

FM PLAYER AND MICROPHONE WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

They're add-ons, you fool.

They aren't functions? Huh. But seriously, I have seen any "functionalities" that interest me. So list some.

With what, the iPod or the Gigabeat?

Whatever product you were speaking of.

Well mine is a couple of series' old, but the first things that spring to mind when thinking of the Gigabeat is battery life and durability, when compared to iPod.

I get about twenty hours and my ipod has been through some rough times. Still plays as well as it did the day I bought it *shrugs*

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

THREAD NECROMANCY

Posted by KoH

FADS SUCK. IPOD = FAD. IPOD SUCKS.

Transitive property. Look it up.

Oh man...

Posted by Arcadios

That's the only reason you dislike it?
=/

Posted by KoH

Mmm yeah. That and it's supported by apple. I have an even greater hate for apple than I do for... say... you. :)

But in all seriousness, and not just some stupid post giving free math facts, the reasons I dislike Ipod are the following:

Too many people have it. Yes, I realize this is considered a fad, and I dislike fads, however I also loathe the fact that when the average person refers to an mp3 player they call it an "ipod."

I hate itunes. I tried it once and just wanted to rip my computer apart. I never want to think such a horrible thought again.

I really dislike the look of it, actually. Don't ask why, but I just dislike it. I find that there are much better and unique designs out there.

Um... trivial matter, but I very much hate the navigational system. I know, a lot of you think it's "awesome," but I greatly dislike it.

Oh, and there are also, from my own experience, a wide array of better sounding mp3 players out there. As well as more durable.

Mainly aesthetic reasons for disliking the ipod, but they're my reasons. If a consumer isn't entitled to his or her own opinion, no matter how shallow, then it's impossible for competition in the market to exist. If you disagree with that, then I don't care who you are, I'm just going to call you a moron.

Posted by Arcadios

Everything that has to do mp3 players is compared with the iPod.
I get sick of it after awhile.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

I'm about to replace my ipod for the 2nd time. So I understand the durability complaint. The funny part is it never broke from DROPPING it. itunes sucks, yes, but I dunno. . . I think the ipod is pretty easy to use, and all in all a good player. I never did figure out how to set a certain playlist to random, which ****ed me off.

Posted by Arcadios

When I had my iPod it took around 45 mins to get a CD with 18 tracks uploaded.
It only takes around 5 mins on a Gigabeat.

Quoted post: When I had my iPod it took around 45 mins to get a CD with 18 tracks uploaded.

It takes a hell of a lot less time to upload 300 tracks. So I don't know what you're doing.

Posted by Fate

I could've gotten an iPod for five bucks more than what I paid for my Zen, but I didn't because I heard that the sound quality was better. I haven't had any problems with my Zen and I totally love it.

I have a built-in microphone and FM radio. Are those add-ons to the iPod?

Posted by Klarth

Yeah, but I for one don't really care for radio (except if they start serialising good radio plays again, which is unlikely), and I can't think of a reason I'd be taking audio memos anytime in the future. Ergo I'm not paying extra for something I'm not going to use, whereas I plan to use my iPod for films, music and photo functionality.

Sound quality - Depends entirely on how the music is encoded and NOT on the player. If you were told that a certain audio player carried better "sound quality" than another, then you were outright lied to, sorry. I've got plenty of losslessly-encoded songs on my computer which will sound identical on my iPod - or any other player - So it isn't actually a dividing factor. At all.

Honestly, hating something simply because it's popular is just as bad as liking it for the same reason. iPod = Best control scheme of ANY portable player out there. 5.5 gen models have a 60% brighter screen than just-plain-five, and the battery lasts upwards of 20 hours. I partake in transatlantic travel pretty often, so it's all I need for a twelve-hour flight.

Control is the only advantage iPod has over anything else. Full stop.

The 'sound quality' issue usually comes from the quality of the included earbuds. iPods, as a rule, have generally been awful.

Posted by Dexter

My iPod sounds just fine. It really does depend on what earphones or sound-system you're using. When I connect my iPod into my home stereo system, it sounds great. I honestly don't have complaints when it comes to the sound quality of the iPod itself.

Posted by Hyper

Quoting Klarth: Sound quality - Depends entirely on how the music is encoded and NOT on the player. If you were told that a certain audio player carried better "sound quality" than another, then you were outright lied to, sorry. I've got plenty of losslessly-encoded songs on my computer which will sound identical on my iPod - or any other player - So it isn't actually a dividing factor. At all.

Actually, the Creative Zen has a higher SNR than any other player on the market AFAIK.

Posted by Klarth

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-11297_7-6510133-2.html

Not by much.

At all.

Posted by Hyper

Oooh, my Cowon is higher than I expected. <3

Can you even tell the difference between 83.2 and 83.8? =/

Posted by Hyper

Can you tell the difference between graphics in some games? No, but some people still insist one's better than another.

Quoted post: Can you tell the difference between graphics in some games?

Yes?

Posted by Hyper

Quoting Vampiro: Yes?

You bloody well can't in some cases, which was my point. But my point is weak anyway, so why bother arguing over it? :(

Nah, if you take any two random sample you should be able to tell the difference in graphics. But yeah, weak point, not a very good comparison. If you wanted to use a good one that dealt with video games, you could go for frames per second.

Posted by Klarth

Which is why the PC version of Quake 4 is superior! The 360 port apparently only runs at 30fps, and although joe-normal-guy wouldn't be able to tell the difference, most of us here would be able to.

It's a hell of a lot less subtle a difference than four fifths of a decibel, though.

And there be my answer. Thank you.

I make a point of never finding out about framerate or studying it too closely. I feel like it would ruin my enjoyment of the game if I was constantly analysing how it runs.

Sure, I notice slowdown, but that's a whole different issue entirely.

Yeah, I generally ignore the difference between 60 and 30. Assuming it's locked and not sliding all over the place.

Doesn't standard filmstock run at 25fps? I'm sure I would notice it if it were below that, and I'm sure that interactive media need a higher framerate to show response time, but it's not really that big a deal.

Posted by KoH

Zune wtf ftw