Aw, Windows hates Billy Gates

Posted by Trigger

[quote=Netguide]Bill Gates was again left red-faced after experiencing problems with the Windows computer he was using during an important keynote speech about the latest Microsoft developments. While giving a talk about the new digital lifestyle, which included a demonstration of connecting a new Nikon camera to a Windows Media Center PC the computer froze, forcing the billionaire computer genius to restart his PC. Later in the presentation while demonstrating a new game, the computer crashed into the dreaded "blue screen of death" warning that the machine was out of memory. This is not the first time Windows has let Mr Gates down during a Windows keynote speech. During the Windows 98 launch, the computer also crashed into the blue screen of death.
Aw, I bet that was the best impression he has ever made during a keynote speech. Probably saved a lot of people their time and money as well; I wouldn't be surprised if they all went home trying to stay two hundred yards away from a Windows OS and then installed Linux Mandrake. Would have been a wise move, if that was what I saw during a Windows keynote speech.

Bill Gates: This is Windows. I made it.
*enter BSoD*
Bill Gates: Heh, heh. This is Windows. I didn't make it. *adjusts collar*

Posted by higbvuyb

All four times I installed linux the computer would refuse to boot. I follwed the instructions exactly, step by step, three of the four times.
At least windows almost always boots, and I 've only seen two BSODs from windows XP in my life.

Posted by Trigger

If you want to see fatal errors, install Windows ME. That operating system basically is one, giant fatal error.

Posted by Gollum

Quoting Trigger][color=yellow]If you want to see fatal errors, install Windows ME. That

Posted by Trigger

[quote]operating system
Oh, no. I hope that Jesse is not using word specific advertisements now; I absolutely hate those.

Posted by mis0

Quoting Trigger: If you want to see fatal errors, install Windows ME. That operating system basically is one, giant fatal error.

That's what's on this computer. God, I hate this ..... At least my own computer has 2000 which doesn't suck as badly.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Hahaha, this is hilarious. Poor guy.

Posted by Gong

gotta love that.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Trigger: If you want to see fatal errors, install Windows ME. That operating system basically is one, giant fatal error.

How very, very true. Combine that with a Celeron; I once turned on 6 Celeron-powered computers in order from left to right, and the one on the right reached the startup screen first. ???

I don't think I've ever reached teh bsod; however, my computer does randomly restart every so often (driver clash, methinks), and when I do a scan afterwards, it deletes archived SoulSeek and Mozilla Firefox information that I really need. :(

Posted by Hyper

My computer randomly turns shuts down at any given point after me opening Winamp, I think. That's the only program that seems to be open every time it decides to turn off. In fact, it doesn't have to be open. If Winamp was opened previously and then closed, the computer will still sometimes shut down.

I've gotten the BSoD before, but mostly on Windows 98 on a 4GB HD computer or on a school computer :cool:

Posted by Trigger

[quote=Richaod]I don't think I've ever reached teh bsod; however, my computer does randomly restart every so often (driver clash, methinks)
[quote=Hyper]My computer randomly turns shuts down at any given point after me opening Winamp, I think. That's the only program that seems to be open every time it decides to turn off. In fact, it doesn't have to be open. If Winamp was opened previously and then closed, the computer will still sometimes shut down.
If you are both running Windows 2000 on the machines that automatically reboot for no reason, you, in essence, have just encountered a fatal error. Windows 2000, by default reboots a machine if a fatal error occurrs, instead of showing the blue screen error. If you wish to turn automatic reboot off, right-click on My Computer and select Properties, then select the Advanced tab and press Startup and recovery, then untick the option to "automatically reboot".

Personally, I have never once had a fatal error caused by Windows 2000. It has been nothing but a dream for me and I wouldn't dare replace it with any other Windows Operating System available.

Posted by Fiindil

Windows operating system only have one thing really going for them, they are games machines. Win 98 was plauged with BSOD's, so much so that I actually made it my screensaver when I installed slackware on the same PC just to feel at home!

Posted by mis0

I'll agree with you on 2000 also: It is by far the best Microsoft product one could ever hope to use. Too bad most people don't have it.

Posted by Gong

A BSoD in 2000 or XP is usually caused by a driver. I say usually because thats not always the case. On the BSoD it will usually tell you the file that caused the error.

Posted by Trigger

[quote=Gong]A BSoD in 2000 or XP is usually caused by a driver. I say usually because thats not always the case. On the BSoD it will usually tell you the file that caused the error.
A fatal error can be caused by anything, not necessarily drivers (and in most instances, drivers are not the case at all). Fatal errors can relate to software issues, hardware issues, conflicts or collision issues. The error code given, particularly near the end signifiy the type of issue and usually ends in letters. For the average user, the information given by fatal errors mean very little and don't identify much at all.

[quote=Fiindil]Win 98 was plauged with BSOD's
I would agree with you if I had experienced many fatal errors whilst using Windows 98 Second Edition. I would much rather use Windows 98SE if I couldn't use Windows 2000 because simply, it was the second operating system that was the most stable and error free for me. Windows ME, however, is something one would expect to see fatal errors performed on; are you certain you didn't mean to type "ME" instead of "98"? :p

Posted by Fiindil

No, I meant to type 98SE, I did have a fun time using it though eg.

*Doing coursework* Hasn't crashed for about 30 minutes...not right *saves* BSOD

Posted by Hyper

Quoting Trigger: If you are both running Windows 2000 on the machines that automatically reboot for no reason, you, in essence, have just encountered a fatal error. Windows 2000, by default reboots a machine if a fatal error occurrs, instead of showing the blue screen error. If you wish to turn automatic reboot off, right-click on My Computer and select Properties, then select the Advanced tab and press Startup and recovery, then untick the option to "automatically reboot".

Personally, I have never once had a fatal error caused by Windows 2000. It has been nothing but a dream for me and I wouldn't dare replace it with any other Windows Operating System available.

I'm running XP Pro.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Hyper: I'm running XP Pro.

As am I, but the same solution still works.

Posted by Trigger

Quoting Hyper: I'm running XP Pro.

I run Windows 2000 Professional as well as Windows XP Professional and I can tell you now that they both use the same methods.

Posted by Bebop

Heh. I like that kind of thing, when someone mucks up at a presentation. Billy seems to laugh with it which I admire. Still amsuing though.

Posted by Prince Redon

Quoting Trigger: If you want to see fatal errors, install Windows [B]ME. That operating system basically is one, giant fatal error.

[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Funny you should mention that, my computer,(not the one I am currentely using, but one I own) has fixed itself quite nicely...It fixed itself so that it will not recognize the keyboard, or Laserguided mouse...Everytime the screen first boots up it leaves me the message "Intel 820801AA SMBus Controller"...I am not sure of how to fix it, that is if there actually is a way of fixing it. Does anyone know how I could?[/COLOR][/b]

Posted by Big Boss

[quote]During the Windows 98 launch, the computer also crashed into the blue screen of death.

I remember seeing this one on TV. Bill Gates wasn't happy at all.

Posted by Trigger

Quoting Big Boss]I wish that I could see any of these on television. It would be hilarious just to watch him saying "Windows XP is seven times faster, smarter, more stable and more reliable than any other Windows product on the market today. Over 265 milli..." *looks at the wall where the data projector is aimed and notices a fatal error BSoD* ...*reboots*

Which leads me to another point that I just realised. By default, the BSoD doesn't appear anymore in Windows 2000 and Windows XP, instead Windows forces the machine to reboot. I imagine that this was a "default" option intended by Microsoft so Bill Gates decreases the chances of his trusty operating system letting him down with a pretty error. Thus, if an error occured, it reboots and he can make an easier excuse for that than an actual error message. Of course, he could always turn the reboot automatically option off by default, but I think he also intended to keep the errors away from customers on their machines, tricking them into believing that it's better than it used to be. Besides, the average user doesn't know about the automatic reboot option, let alone how to locate and turn it off. Microsoft adores turning things on by default without letting the user know about it, I wouldn't be surprised if this was one of those things but aimed to help Bill, rather than to help anyone else. They would just say, "this option is better for the machine, rather than continuing to work after the error is displayed".

Posted by Admiral Anthrax

Quoting Trigger][color=yellow]Oh, no. I hope that Jesse is not using word specific advertisements now:

It's not that. Irrelevant probably has spyware on his computer that's doing that.

Posted by loony636

Once, in my English class, my teacher's laptop kept jamming when she tried to put a slideshow onto the projector. She eventually had to take the computer to the techs to get her operating system re-installed. She got back just in time for one presentation.

On a seperate occasion not really relevant to the topic, my Commerce teacher spilt coffee on his laptop, it short circuited the computer and 'killed' it. He got banned from drinking coffee near his laptop.

Posted by brownoystercult

HAI GAIS : - *

Posted by loony636

That picture is disturbing. He looks like a model modelling for Microsoft...that's wrong.