Starcraft DS

Posted by Drewboy64

Who else wants Starcraft for the DS?

Posted by NightmareBassX

Sounds good, and I would like it. But due to seeing the N64 version "Starcraft 64", I think it would turn out like crap. Don't get me wrong, I love Starcraft, but the N64 version was nothing compared to the computers. But if it does end up like the computers, then it will be great, especially if it was online. Hopefully if they make it, then it will be online, Since if they did start to, it probably won't be out til late 2006.

Posted by Random

Interesting.. StarCraft for the DS... *ponders* Perhaps i'll pick up a DS at a Price Drop.

Posted by Borealis

If the gameplay is improved, yes. Yes, I would love Starcraft DS.

Posted by NightmareBassX

Well, if it is released, it will obviously be online. But I was strongly disappointed in the N64 version. So if they don't improve the graphics, speed, and gameplay, Then I don't know if it will be as great as some would expect. I'll end up buying it anyway, unless it extremely sucked. Starcraft for the DS suits it well, I think the DS would be great for games like it.

Posted by Drewboy64

The graphics would probably look the same as a pc version. Controls would be perfect though, with the touch screen. There could be a map editor too, where you use the touch screen to place doodads and edit terrain.

Posted by NightmareBassX

Adding the map editor is key. And I would enjoy making a map on the DS touch screen rather the PC, Well the PC versions downloadable map editors are alot better then the original.

Posted by Random

Hmmm so i'm curious.. It isn't actually coming out for the DS is it? This was just a thread wondering who wanted it to be for the DS. Am I right?

Posted by NightmareBassX

Quoting SomebodyRandom: Hmmm so i'm curious.. It isn't actually coming out for the DS is it? This was just a thread wondering who wanted it to be for the DS. Am I right?

I don't know if he meant he wanted it, or knew it might be coming out. But right here, it may happen.
[URL=http://ds.ign.com/articles/634/634581p1.html]http://ds.ign.com/articles/634/634581p1.html[/URL]

Posted by GameMiestro

Quoting NightmareBassX: Sounds good, and I would like it. But due to seeing the N64 version "Starcraft 64", I think it would turn out like crap. Don't get me wrong, I love Starcraft, but the N64 version was nothing compared to the computers.

Umm, all console RTS games suck. Like first person shooters, console versions of them are terrible- but the touch pad could change all that. Just look at Metroid Prime: Hunters- a pretty amazing game in itself.

Posted by Drewboy64

Yeah, touch screen is perfect for many PC games. There is a chance Blizzard could add starcraft, but nothing has been said. But i would love making my own maps and playing online with them.

Posted by Xero

I love starcraft, but I think it would be hard to control on a DS. I say that, cuz I'm use to a mouse and a keyboard, but just to say I think that'd be fun.

Posted by Drewboy64

No, the touch screen would be perfect actually. If you think of it, it is practically the same thing as a mouse. Tapping the screen is like clicking, and you can move the stylus anywhere, like a mouse. You could drag and select things like a mouse, too.

But yeah, Starcraft would be super fun.

Posted by Xero

Yeah but the touch screen is kinda small... Micro playing :P

Posted by Drewboy64

yeah, but you could scroll around the map with the D-pad.

Posted by tr0nd

Starcraft on DS... is that realy truth... but it should be very interesting to have an RTS on the DS... such as Warcraft or starcraft... or in that style...

Posted by Drewboy64

Well Blizzard had a poll of what games theyd like on the PSP/DS. DS would be perfect for all games, because the touch screen is like a mouse.

Posted by tr0nd

exaktly... it's perfect for RTS games.....

Posted by Drewboy64

Hopefully this does happen. there are a few RTS games coming out for sure, but none of them look that good.

Posted by The Punisher

I wouldnt mind seeing a DS Starcraft, but the wait would be realy realy long. I think there should be a lot more RTS games out on this system though, most of them could find a unique way to incorparate the touch pad.

Posted by Drewboy64

Yeah, I wish the RTS's that are coming out were more like starcraft.

Posted by cool gamer dad

We all have computers... Why not play the computer version? I'd imagine it would be hard to control your units/buildings without hotkeys.

Posted by Drewboy64

i was thinking you could use the select button for hotkeys or something. My bro came up with a better controler scheme, but i forget what it is. And come on, sure there's starcraft for the PC, but a new DS version would increase its popularity. Plus, portable online starcraft with touchscreen controls = :D

Posted by The Punisher

Quoting Stinger: We all have computers... Why not play the computer version? I'd imagine it would be hard to control your units/buildings without hotkeys.

Becuase not all of our computers can be taken with us everywhere.

Posted by Drewboy64

campaign/map editor would be fun too. Even if you couldnt use triggers and stuff, it would still be a good feature.

Posted by Xero

With SC on PC, I keep trying to make maps with campaign editors,but they always start with a nexus/hatchery/command center and 4 builders. I made like lots of units, other buildings and they dint appear. I dont know what I'm doing wrong. Can anybody help me?

Posted by Drewboy64

Yeah, you have to 1.) put the correct triggers so your campaign actually works correctly and 2.) when you play it, select "Use Map Settings."

Posted by cool gamer dad

[quote=The Punisher]Becuase not all of our computers can be taken with us everywhere.
True!

But it just wouldn't be worth playing without a keyboard when there's way better games suited for the DS controls. I can see the minimap on the bottom screen (that'd be pretty cool actually), but once again It'd be way too hard to control units.

Posted by ExoXile

Quoting Stinger: but once again It'd be way too hard to control units.

I'm sure it could be solved somehow.

Posted by cool gamer dad

[IMG]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a293/stingerishere/starcraft.jpg[/IMG]

Keyboard adaptor?

Posted by ExoXile

Quoting Stinger: [IMG]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a293/stingerishere/starcraft.jpg[/IMG]

Keyboard adaptor?

HIGHLY doubt it.

Posted by Drewboy64

Quoting Stinger: True!

But it just wouldn't be worth playing without a keyboard when there's way better games suited for the DS controls. I can see the minimap on the bottom screen (that'd be pretty cool actually), but once again It'd be way too hard to control units.

No, no, the units would have to be on the bottom - it would just make more sense to controll thme that way. The controls could easily be resolved. My brother had a good control scheme idea, but I have to ask him about that cause I forgot.

Posted by cool gamer dad

[quote=ExoXile]HIGHLY doubt it.
Uh... exactly?

[quote=Drewboy64]No, no, the units would have to be on the bottom - it would just make more sense to controll thme that way. The controls could easily be resolved. My brother had a good control scheme idea, but I have to ask him about that cause I forgot.
Map or unit selecter on the bottom is one thing...

But it'd be impossible to play at a decent level without CTRL + 1, 2, 3, etc. The unit select you speak of isn't so much of a control tool... Double click (or CTRL click) can easilly be fixed, yes, but that's not what I'm talking about.

If I have early Zerglings and I want to keep up my micro game by harassing them while still trying to control my economy, I need hotkeys to manuever through my base without my screen actually being there so I can slow my opponent's economy with my Zerglings.

EDIT: But I'm talking about the multiplayer part of the game. Not like the Champaign is worth the forty or so dollars. : /

Posted by ExoXile

Quoting Stinger: Uh... exactly?

MAN! the DS has a tuch screen, i'm sure it could be solved somehow.

Like, press "Select" to get to the hotkeys and BAM problem solved.

Posted by cool gamer dad

[quote=ExoXile]MAN! the DS has a tuch screen, i'm sure it could be solved somehow.

Like, press "Select" to get to the hotkeys and BAM problem solved.
lol, do you even play enough to know how much hotkeys matter?

A keyboard on the touchpad would work. But will the game developers do it? Probably not. : /

EDIT: But wait. Then you'd either be doing the touchscreen or the gamescreen. Not both at the same time! The whole point of hotkeys is multitasking.

There's only ONE touchscreen. Starcraft would need two touchscreens to even come close to working in multiplayer. One for clicking around in the actual game, and one for a keyboard/minimap of some sort for additional unit control... Starcraft, despite being the best game ever, will not work well for DS. That's a fact.

BUT: Let's put hotkeys aside for now. Imagine we didn't care at all about them! There's still one major problem...

Starcraft cannot be manuevered through without a mouse or a pen of some sort. Great! We have the touchscreen. The actual game would have to be played on the touchscreen. Perfect, right? No. Take a look at the DS:

[IMG]http://www.bargainpda.com/assets/3368.jpg[/IMG]

Alright. Notice the A, B, etc. buttons on the right-hand side of the DS. Most of us (even lefties) use the mouse with our right hands (same will go with the pen, I suppose). How will we be able to even CTRL + CLICK to target multiple units when our right hand is tied up with the pen? You can't. Sure! We can make it so we can use the buttons are built into the directional pad. Will the game developers notice the imortance? No. No they will not. Is switching to my left hand to play a game that will most likely suck for this system (as shown) worth it (also considering the price?). No. No it is not.

Case closed. Let's play on the computer!

Posted by ExoXile

If they would like it to work, probably.

Posted by cool gamer dad

[quote=ExoXile]If they would like it to work, probably.
Absolutely.

But keep in mind that they're a business. As long as they're getting business, they're happy. Starcraft DS is going to sell, and suck.

Posted by ExoXile

Meh..... we'll just have to wait and see about that.

Posted by Drewboy64

Here is another idea for Starcraft controls:
D-pad = map control; go around on the map. Touchscreen = mouse. L = Hold it and touch to do a "left" or "right click" with the mouse (configurable) Start = Menu, etc. Everything else (R, Select, A, B, X, Y) = hotkeys.

And what do you mean by Ctrl. Click? Do you mean to attack multiple units or something?

Posted by ExoXile

Wouldn't like:

R+A/B/X/Y

Work as hotkeys?

Posted by cool gamer dad

See my last post. I'm a righty. :cool:

In other words, Right Trigger+A/B/etc. would work for hotkeys, if I were to use my left hand for the pen.

[quote=Drewboy64]Here is another idea for Starcraft controls:
D-pad = map control; go around on the map. Touchscreen = mouse. L = Hold it and touch to do a "left" or "right click" with the mouse (configurable) Start = Menu, etc. Everything else (R, Select, A, B, X, Y) = hotkeys.

And what do you mean by Ctrl. Click? Do you mean to attack multiple units or something?
The D-Pad would be useless. What it would come down to is the D-Pad, or the hotkeys. You'd probably be able to move around the map with the pen.

Ctrl. + Click targets up to twelve of the same unit under your control within range.

Posted by Drewboy64

so anyone on the screen you mean?
So whats the big deal taht you can't do that? THe screen is small enough to select 12 units with the stylus.