Gamestop ripping people off

Posted by veritas

I just went to game stop to turn in my games i dont play. I wanted to turn in Madden 2005. They said they would give me 3 bucks. I've only had it for a year. I paid $50 for that game. Do you think they are ripping you off

Posted by -Shadow-

Not really. Used games, especially games that are released updated every year such as Madden, go way down in price because there is always a new one coming out in the following year. The store needs to make a profit on your game, so thats why they offer you so little for old common games. If you want to make more money on your games, sell it to someone who wants it to play it, not make a profit.

Posted by Sean Fury

First off, above all else, football games suck. Really badly too, might I add.

Gamestop and eB do tend to rip people off, selling games at high prices, then barely giving you a dime back for that hard-earned cash you so choicely blew on something you thought would be the game of the century. But the truth is, they really do teach you something: don't buy shit if it isn't good.

Why do you think the Super Mario Bros. games go for 20+ dollars? People want them, they're good games, and there's basically none left that aren't in frames inside gamer's homes.

The point is, the places may rip us off all the time, but if you don't want to be rip offed, don't buy ****ty games. But something worthwhile.

Oh, and sell online.

Posted by Random

Yeah definately sell online. If you purchased GTA San Andreas for 50 bucks, and wanted to trade it in 5 minutes later, you'd be lucky to get 25 dollars.

Posted by Sean Fury

You're a dumbass Roinkz, I've probably played more sports then you've seen in your life.

Posted by Boner

Gamestop is like any other business. They need to make money in order to maintain a solid opperation. There is nothing shady about what they do. It's not exactly like they are trying to hide anything. You know that in order for them to profit, they must sell any goods they buy for a higher price than what they paid for them. By the time they figure in the price that the used game will actually sell for, they then have to turn around and figure costs to sell that game.

Believe it or not, owning/renting a building to house your business is not free. Nor is it cheap. They pay for electricity, phone bills, property insurance, and anything else that you would expect from owning a piece of property. Not to mention maintenance. And you know those geeks that work behind the counter and sell you those games? Well, they didn't apply there so they could go out back, smoke a joint, and play video games for free all day. Oddly enough, they want to get paid too! Hey, they have to pay for all that pot some how, right?

By the time this is all figured in, they have to decide what they can afford to pay you for your used games Vs. what they can sell them for, pay everyone off that they need to pay, and still make a buck for themselves at the end of the day. It's not like they are telling you that the used games they are paying you $3.00 for will be going to an orphanage, then turning around and selling them on the black market. You know they are doing it. They know that you know they are doing it. Therefor, if you sell your games to them for peanuts Vs. what you could get for them on Ebay, who is really ripping you off? YOU ARE! So, there is really no point in bit[i]ching about it. If you want more money for them, then take the time to post them on Ebay rather than complain on a message board where it won't do a bit of good anyway.

That's my two cents.

~Opeth

Posted by VirtualRealityZone

Quoting 2fast4u: I just went to game stop to turn in my games i dont play. I wanted to turn in Madden 2005. They said they would give me 3 bucks. I've only had it for a year. I paid $50 for that game. Do you think they are ripping you off

Every single video game store gives low prices for outdated sport games. Some game stores, like the game crazy near me, won't even let people trade in outdated sport games because first of all, nobody wants them so the copies just sit on the shelves collecting dust, and second of all you dont get much credit for them when you trade them in.

Posted by taygovp

I know this seems like opportunistic plug, and well, I suppose it kinda is. But seriously, that's why I started Taygo.Com. I figured gamers would rather deal with other gamers rather than stuff Gamestop's pockets. They sold $471 million last quarter alone. I've been ripped off by Gamestop many a day. For example, a traded in Gameday 02 I think it was. Don't ask why I had it...it was a gift, thus the trade in. Anyway, I traded it in the same week it dropped and they offered me $20 bucks for it. I'm rambling..but the long and short of it is that Gamestop will continue to rip gamers off because most of us let them.

Posted by psp

Gamestop doesnt rip ppl off. They actually have good prices on most used games. Madden 2005 is 9.99 used there. 3 bux is probably ur best bet. Maybe u can sell it for 5 to some else. I think eb is a rip for ps2, gc, and xbox games. Their games cost more than gamestop and they pay less.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

Yes, they are rip-offs if you're selling games back to them, which was the point of this thread. But if you're looking to buy a used game, they generally aren't horribly priced, no.

And as most other people have all ready suggested, selling games online will rake in a few more bucks than just selling it to a gamestore.

Posted by Aioros

[COLOR=Yellow]I just bought a bunch of games from Gamestop at less than 15$ like Eternal Darkness, F-Gero GX, and Splinter Cell to name a few. If anything i'd say they have some pretty good deals if you're buying games.[/COLOR]

Posted by the magic man

learn about swap magic the ps2 mod email the magic man at [email]me.wicked@hotmail.com[/email] u wont be disaponted

Posted by bazariah

Quoting the magic man: learn about swap magic the ps2 mod email the magic man at [email]me.wicked@hotmail.com[/email] u wont be disaponted

how about no because that involves piracy and piracy is a very bad thing

Posted by BEZ1

I guess technically they're not ripping people off because you know you're not gonna get a good price for your used games. I'd rather keep a game I payed $50 for, than sell it for $3, just for the principle of it.

Posted by GreyFox36

I just went to Gamestop yesterday to trade some games in so that I could get enough money for Battlefield 2: MC, I traded in 10 games and got 40$ so that was about 4$ a game, I was still low on cash so couldn't get the game though, I guess I will have to rent it.

Posted by veritas

I turned in all my old pokemon games for gameboy and I got $40. Not bad. I like buying games that are really cheap though and they're not really scratched at all.

Posted by GameMiestro

You could just try to buy a bunch of games for $3, and then sell them yourself on E-Bay. People do it, and it works...

Posted by Foxworthy12

They dont try to rip you off. But when a game like madden comes out there is always a new game coming out next. With new features. If you dont want to get 3 bucks for a agame go for a agme that doesnt have a sequel every year. People dont want to buy the last years version while this years version has new features and better graphics. Chose your games wisely and try to sell them back before they know the release date of the sequel. Oh, by the way,

MADDEN 2005 RULES

Quoting Foxworthy12: They dont try to rip you off. But when a game like madden comes out there is always a new game coming out next. With new features. If you dont want to get 3 bucks for a agame go for a agme that doesnt have a sequel every year. People dont want to buy the last years version while this years version has new features and better graphics. Chose your games wisely and try to sell them back before they know the release date of the sequel. Oh, by the way,

Although that may be true for most sports games, it most certainly isn't for, say, RPG's. So yes, they are ripping you off.

Posted by Boner

Attn: All people who keep saying Gamestop rips people off!

[B][I]DID YOU NOT READ MY POST?!?[/b] Seriously, it is that hard to comprehend? If they paid you what you felt that game was worth, then they'd have to turn around and sell it for even more than they normally would in order to turn a proffit. And nobody is going to pay full price for a used game. Hence, people would still say that Gamestop rips people off. If they don't make money, they go out of business. It's as simple as that. In case you missed my initial post....go back and read it!

Now quit crying and go sell your games on Ebay like anyone with a brain would do.

No **** they need to make a profit. But when I sell a game to them (EB, in this case)for $3 and they turn around and sell that exact copy for $29.99, I say that's a ripoff. Sure, they have to pay their bills, but it's still a rip off. And I'm not asking them to pay me full price for the game. I wouldn't ask anyone to, because no able-minded person would.

SO, once again, Ebay them.

Posted by GameMiestro

You could also donate them to the Salvation Army. :)

Posted by Boner

Quoting Angelwing: No **** they need to make a profit. But when I sell a game to them (EB, in this case)for $3 and they turn around and sell that exact copy for $29.99, I say that's a ripoff. Sure, they have to pay their bills, but it's still a rip off. And I'm not asking them to pay me full price for the game. I wouldn't ask anyone to, because no able-minded person would.

SO, once again, Ebay them.

Look, it's really quite simple. They tell you what they are willing to pay you for said used game. You know they are going to turn around and sell it for at least 5X that amount. You know this. It's not like they are hiding that fact. Therefor, if you sell them your used game, you are ripping yourself off. You have the choice not to sell them your used games.

Quoting GameMiestro: You could also donate them to the Salvation Army. :)

This is the best idea yet. Since I own a house, so I have to file a long form when I do my taxes. Which means I get to write off any donations. Which will result in me getting more $$$ on my tax return. Good call, dude.

Posted by Skitzo Control

When they buy Madden '04 from you and Madden '05 comes out in a week, what do you think their chances are of selling your copy of Madden '04? Very slim. They are basically out that $3, an amount of money they will probably never see again for your game. Used games (especially sports games) will almost never sale. It's a sad fact, so deal with it. Either that, or stop buying games whose retail value falls faster than your mother's pants at a college party.

Posted by Rapid-Fire

no theyre not ripping you off, ebay the games

Posted by Lord of Spam

This kinda goes with what opeth was saying.

Its not ripping you off unless they misrepresent the amount that they are willing to pay. As long as they give you what they promise, then they have completed an honest transaction. It may not be a good one for the seller, but it is by no means a rip off.

Posted by VirtualRealityZone

Quoting 2fast4u: I just went to game stop to turn in my games i dont play. I wanted to turn in Madden 2005. They said they would give me 3 bucks. I've only had it for a year. I paid $50 for that game. Do you think they are ripping you off

Almost every game store gives low store credit for sports games because not that many people want year old, used, football games. Plus stores have to make a profit to stay in business. If they give what the game is worth they will lose money.

Posted by ll.alchemist.ll

I wonder what gamestop do with all them use games they just sit there in the store collecting dust.

Posted by Sword of Light

its not worth seeling inless you have a lot u only get 3 or 4 dollers i got 74 with all mine haaha jaajajajajajaajaj

Posted by lordmucifer

seriously, if they are gonna offer you so little for a game, I would just spend my time smashing it to pieces or using it to play frisbee with my dog. If you aren't going to get money for the game, at least let it be useful one last time before you ditch it. Gamestop wouldn't take one of my "scratched" games so I left it on the managers windshield with a note saying "Then take it for free douchebag" and i didn't even care about the care anymore lol. (Btw the game was megaman X5 and now that Megaman X collection is out, i don't even miss it"

Posted by ShiroiHikari

theres a place up here that took 2 of my used games for $15 each... DDR Konamix, and Chocobos Dungeon 2... apparently they are very rare games! who woulda thunkit...

But yeah... Gamestop and EB Games would rip you off... try going to smaller game stores... like ones that are unique to your city! usually they give you better deals

Posted by basterd

It's corp america, I bought GTA:LCS for 50 and then I didn't like it because it has so many glitches in it then I sold it back and they only gave me 16 and then most or all there used games sell for just 5 dollers less, If you have a bullmoose around you I recommend buying music and games from there or evan selling your games evan tho they might only give you 5 cents you never no.

Posted by PhlyntheKT

Baz' I recomend returning it next time...that way you get all your money...

Posted by Black_Fire

Opeth

obviously you are the one who can not understand

Every person's mind is a world unto itself and your not going to change a mind unless they want to change it for your ideas. So if its a ripoff to the guy who says its a ripoff, than it is for him as it is for me!

Now isn't that simple?

Posted by brownoystercult

Anyways, I say no one should buy used games because it could cause the gaming industry to die. Not going into explanation, have an essay to write.

Posted by shad0w

Quoting Opeth: Look, it's really quite simple. They tell you what they are willing to pay you for said used game. You know they are going to turn around and sell it for at least 5X that amount. You know this. It's not like they are hiding that fact. Therefor, if you sell them your used game, you are ripping yourself off. You have the choice not to sell them your used games.

I read what you wrote prior to this. It is a rip off. Your reasons weren't good enough. I'm not talking about gamestop here, but every video game business that buys/sells used games. I'm not sure what you think is so okay about what they're doing. The reason people are complaining is because they see the sham for what it is and want to change it. These "expenses" the store needs to pay off can easily be covered without factoring used games into the equation. If I pay 50-60 bucks for a game, beat it, and want to sell it back a few weeks later, they crap in your hand. That same game you got literal **** for is now on the shelf for 5 times what they gave you for it. Oh and look, a new game is only FOUR DOLLARS MORE THAN THE USED ONE THEY BOUGHT BACK. Of course, the miniscule price difference between new and used games usually occurs with games that are a year or two old, but it's still dumb. The point of buying a used game is to pay a significant amount less for it, and if you're selling a game back that will be resold for 30 bucks, how about giving us 15 f'ing bucks and shutting your **** holes.

Posted by Cloudstud

Haha this is a pretty funny thread. I understand that it makes people pretty mad when getting low refunds or credit for game being returned but come on people its all about money. Lets put ourselves in the shoes of the gaming stores for just one minute. Why would they stop doing what they are doing. They are make a butt load of money off us and what do we do.... we keep returning our games for next to nothing. Its all about profit and as long as people coninue to trade in their games they will continue to give low payouts.

Who wants to play an old sports game anyway. Ever tried to get a game going online on an older sportsgame, its almost impossible....

If you dont like what they are doing spend 2 minutes get an ebay accnt and sell them for double or triple you would sell them for at the stores. Quit whining about it and do somthing. If everyone did that it would force the bigger companies to pay more for their games. They would have no used games to sell if everyone dealt over ebay, or sold it to their friend for 10 bucks.

Opeth put it very wisely in saying YOUR RIPPING YOURSELF OFF. Theres no better way to put it than that.

Posted by Slade

I usually trade games in big batches so the ones that sell for like $3 store credit are covered up by those that I get $15 or so for. Also, I'm sure I get my money's worth eventually as I buy a lot of awesome games for $5 like MGS, Chrono Trigger, and Parasite Eve. Well, maybe not quite my money's worth overall, but close enough.

Posted by Domino

If you don't like the price used game stores give you, then just keep your **** games.

Posted by Skitzo Control

If the game is worthless to you, getting $3 out of it is a very good deal, right? I would consider it so.

For whoever it was that asked what happens with all the old used games that don't get sold: with Software Etc., EbGames, and Funcoland Inc. all being owned by Barnes & Noble, they just ship each other a bunch of those games, until they come back to the store again and not get sold. Eventually, they end up being thrown away or given to employees as "incentives." They all stopped accepting PS1 and N64 stuff, so the company is going to be stuck with it for the rest of the time it's there, until somebody takes it off their shoulders.

Posted by Sephiroth89

i don't think gamestop is ripping people off. But what you should do is take in more than one game at a time so it seems like your getting more for 'em. Or if you do buy a game and want to return in the 7 day limit GameStop gives you USE YOUR RECEPT!! you get all your money back. Plus theres a Games n More where i live that'll realy rip you off. They sell old old crappy PSX games for like $15. And they buy newer games for like $1. Thats a rippoff.