Starfox Assault

Posted by Saruman

I've always liked playing Starfox for the 64. I just wanted to ask if this game is anything like Starfox for the 64? Is it a good game? Is it worth buying?

Posted by solarphoenix990

I've played the demo of it in wallmart and i didnt really like it. I mean its pretty fun but fox doesnt look like himself at all and you can die really easily, so if it was up to me to buy it I probably wouldnt buy it even though it was pretty fun.

Posted by segashadow128gcn

no not worth the buy...its a shame to because star fox is cool there is **** nothing worth flying missions in this game so if yuor one of those fox flying whores... you will hate it...and all the missions are like the same thing with a new eviroment and it takes a wopping 35 mins to finish the game the muiltyplayer is were the game shines its almost good enough to buy for that..but its just not "hardcore" enough of a multiplayer shooter to fit everyones needs although getting into aircrafts and tanks while in multiplayer is cool and the wepons are cool...but to powerfull i mean you might as well use your reguler gun and charge it all the way , you can pritty much snipe with it... but the multiplayer maps are what i loved about this game. have a friend over to stay the night and rent it thats all its worth...but accually make that 3 friends sorry...

Posted by Dexter

I'm sorry I didn't see this thread sooner.

I got the game, but I have not been able to go through it entirely yet. I'm trying to conquer a few other games I got before it before I attempt to overcome it. However, I couldn't help but play the first level and observe the approach Namco gave it. Star Fox Adventures was a terrific game. My favorite for the Game Cube, so far. I adore the characters so much that I'm positive I'm going to enjoy Assault. If you liked Star Fox 64 as much as I do, then I'm sure you

Posted by loony636

Well, I must remember to play this one. I heard some mixed opinions about it, but thanks to you Dexter, I now know to go right out and buy it (or at least rent it).

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Dex: It's really nothing like you're expecting. It's not that great actually, and the characters, gameplay, and control are all pretty bad. The only saving grace of the game is the flying missions.

Posted by Corrupt

Yeah, I haven't played a whole lot of it, but I've watched a friend whore the game out for hours, and I must say that it doesn't look all that appealing. There are a bunch of little things about the game that just bug me from what I've seen, and I personally loved the free-roaming environments in Starfox Adventures; I'd choose that game over Assault, easily. I dunno, I guess I was just never really a big fan of the shoot 'em up type gameplay, even though I did somewhat enjoy Starfox 64. In my opinion, Assault can't compare to either Starfox 64 or Starfox Adventures. All in all, it's not really worth buying, but it wouldn't hurt to rent it. Just to get a solid experience and opinion of the game, and all.

Posted by Takuya Kanabara

I have the game and I completed it. It's a great game. It's a little better than Star Fox 64. You can now exit in and out of vehicles. There are no aqua missions this time because the Blue Marine no longer exist. There are only ground to air missions. The ground missions take away from the game's true potential. The Arwing missions are way better. Just as Corrupt said, it's not worth buying. I think Assault is a great game but I regret the fact that I didn't rent it.

Posted by Dexter

Hopefully I'll finish conquering Baten Kaitos this coming up weekend. Right after that I move on towards Star Fox Assault. Both games are by Namco. Maybe I'm allowing my excitement to get the best of me. I'll certainly have a stronger, more accurate opinion of the game by next week. I can't imagine it being too horrible or disappointing. It looked gorgeous. At this moment, there is no other Game Cube game I'd rather complete.

Posted by Angerion the Brave

Star Fox Assault is really good, I though. The multiplayer is a load of fun, esspecially the manually controlable rocket launcher.

It's not long, the on foot areas are little lacking. But it's all in all a worthy game. I for one, don't regret buying it.

Posted by D.J Cat

I think this is a great game.

The multiplayer is great (I've only played it on 2 player, I know it would be heaps better with 4, can't wait to try it).
I thought the sounds was excelent, the effects were right, the voices were as good as usual and really add to the experience and the music, with the remixed sort of tracks from Starfox 64 sounding great.
I really like the Starwolf music.
Fist few times I heard it was amazing.

I've just been doing some levels on Gold today and its quite difficult, especially if you are trying to get the medals.
And on that subject does anyone know what those S flags do?
I assume for a certain amount of flags you get some sort of new thing unlocked like a new multiplayer level or character or something...

Anyway having said all that...

I don't think most people will enjoy this game as much as I do.

Posted by Ant

Probably not DJ. I rented it when it came out sometime in April. The game overall was fun and enjoyable. It was however WAY to short. Although they do try to make up for it with a fun multiplayer, that too gets dull after awhile.

So like Corrupt suggested a long while ago, it's a good rental, but not as much so a buy.

Posted by Dexter

Quoting D.J Cat: I've just been doing some levels on Gold today and its quite difficult, especially if you are trying to get the medals.

I've recently been working on finishing up the game by earning all the proper medals. I only have a few golds so far. It is really difficult gaining them, but I have been enjoying the process. I embrace such a satisfying challenge. The game itself is incredibly short and I don't really care much for the multiplayer. We had a good hour spent with four players back when I first got it, but the desire to play it more is lacking significantly. I enjoyed Starfox Adventures far more. I wouldn't mind at all, however, if Namco decided to make a follow up. I really enjoy the characters and I hope that I see them again shortly. Also, it would be nice if Krystal joined the Super Smash team.

Quoted post: does anyone know what those S flags do?

I've been wondering the same thing myself. I'll have to go check that out straight away.

Posted by D.J Cat

I know you can get up to 5 of them in each level, and you usually get them for shooting some sort of hidden/out of the way enemy or something.
The noise they make when you pick them up is satisfying.
And I assume the "S" stands for special.

And yes, Krystal would be well suited to appear in Smash Bros.