Question

Posted by inequity

I was planning on buying a PSP very soon, so I need something cleared up for me. What is all this talk about upgrading versions? Like that theres a v1.52 and 2.0? I'm not aware of any other features besides music, pics, games and movies. What would upgrading your PSP do? I just need someone to explain this upgrading hoo-hah for me. Thanks.

Posted by Al Borland

First of all, if you are going to buy a psp you will want to buy a 1.5 version. The way you can tell is on the box near the barcode. If there is a letter A or there are no letters at all buy it, if you see a v don't buy it. Once you have your PSP you can update it to 1.52 which you don't want to do, because doing so will prevent you from playing homebrew applications on your PSP. Homebrew applications are basically emulators and games that you can play on your PSP. For example you could put SNES9x on your PSP. Version 2.0 will be released later this month, it will include a web browser and it will also prevent you from playing homebrew applications on your PSP. So basically don't upgrade to 1.52, and upgrade to 2.0 if you want a web browser on your PSP.

Posted by inequity

Quoting Al Borland: First of all, if you are going to buy a psp you will want to buy a 1.5 version. The way you can tell is on the box near the barcode. If there is a letter A or there are no letters at all buy it, if you see a v don't buy it. Once you have your PSP you can update it to 1.52 which you don't want to do, because doing so will prevent you from playing homebrew applications on your PSP. Homebrew applications are basically emulators and games that you can play on your PSP. For example you could put SNES9x on your PSP. Version 2.0 will be released later this month, it will include a web browser and it will also prevent you from playing homebrew applications on your PSP. So basically don't upgrade to 1.52, and upgrade to 2.0 if you want a web browser on your PSP.

Ok, thats just what I needed to know. Thanks.

Posted by Velvet Nightmare

Quoting Al Borland: First of all, if you are going to buy a psp you will want to buy a 1.5 version. The way you can tell is on the box near the barcode. If there is a letter A or there are no letters at all buy it, if you see a v don't buy it. Once you have your PSP you can update it to 1.52 which you don't want to do, because doing so will prevent you from playing homebrew applications on your PSP. Homebrew applications are basically emulators and games that you can play on your PSP. For example you could put SNES9x on your PSP. Version 2.0 will be released later this month, it will include a web browser and it will also prevent you from playing homebrew applications on your PSP. So basically don't upgrade to 1.52, and upgrade to 2.0 if you want a web browser on your PSP.

Actually, I would import a Japanese v1.0 PSP if I were you. Even less of a hassle as far as homebrew loading.

Posted by Axis

Quick question. My brother wants to know HOW to get the update because I don't know anything about it. :l

Posted by Necrololicon

Updating will potentially break your PSP and void the warranty.

""CAUTION: This update is only for customers who obtained PSP

Posted by Boner

I think I may have to skip out on the web browser myself. I would like to check out some of the homebrew stuff. I bought my PSP the 2nd day of release. So, I should be in the clear.