2.0 or Homebrew

Posted by Al Borland

Post your thoughts on the new 2.0 update that will be released later this month, will you be upgrading or sticking with 1.5? For me, the web browser is looking good but I'd much rather have homebrew than a web browser. Maybe version 3.0 or 4.0 will have something worth while for me to upgrade to.

Posted by KoH

2.0 has a web browser? Funky. In that case, I think I'd upgrade. I'm not much into the Doom homebrew game anyway, seems as if it's degrading the PSP as far as graphics go.

Posted by Velvet Nightmare

I'm still deciding. I think I may just get a second PSP at this point.

Posted by VirtualRealityZone

It's already up for download in Japan. My friend that has a psp upgraded his psp to the version with the web browser. All you have to do is search for it.

:-D

Posted by Necrololicon

A web browser has been released for the 1.5 (homebrew, of course). Several others are in the works, such as Firefox.

Honestly I'd rather use Firefox than Sony's custom browser.

Posted by Boner

I have a question....

When you download the updates, does it save them to the memory card? 2.0 is supposed to be about a 16 meg download right? If it saves the update to the memory card, then why not just buy another memory card? I would think that most of us have upgraded our memory by now anyway. So we could probably use the 32mb card that came with it. If I'm wrong about his, please correct me.

Posted by Necrololicon

Quoting Opeth: I have a question....

When you download the updates, does it save them to the memory card? 2.0 is supposed to be about a 16 meg download right? If it saves the update to the memory card, then why not just buy another memory card? I would think that most of us have upgraded our memory by now anyway. So we could probably use the 32mb card that came with it. If I'm wrong about his, please correct me.

No, it's flashed to the PSP itself. That's why you can't downgrade firmware, and that's why it stops homebrew. Once you go 2.0, you can't go back.

So yeah, it takes absolutely no memory card space, as far as I know.

Posted by Boner

Well, I'm sure it will just be a matter of time before someone cracks the new firmware and starts making homebrew sh!t again. I heard that many future games will actually require you to have the new updates in order to play them.

Posted by Necrololicon

Quoting Opeth: Well, I'm sure it will just be a matter of time before someone cracks the new firmware and starts making homebrew sh!t again. I heard that many future games will actually require you to have the new updates in order to play them.

Not exactly. Sony is a billion dollar corporation, and homebrew enthusiasts are pretty much college students who have taken a Computer Science course or two. Sony located the the error in 1.51, fixed it, added more security in 1.52, then added an entirely new security system in 2.00 that they didn't publicly announce. Chances are it won't be cracked for a long time, if ever.

New games do force firmware updates, but only one or two- and they've been cracked to bypass this. Since 1.50 has a security flaw, they can do basically anything to bypass Sony's attempts to fix it, but if you choose to get rid of 1.50, you have no options.

Quoting Necrololicon: Not exactly. Sony is a billion dollar corporation, and homebrew enthusiasts are pretty much college students who have taken a Computer Science course or two. Sony located the the error in 1.51, fixed it, added more security in 1.52, then added an entirely new security system in 2.00 that they didn't publicly announce. Chances are it won't be cracked for a long time, if ever.

New games do force firmware updates, but only one or two- and they've been cracked to bypass this. Since 1.50 has a security flaw, they can do basically anything to bypass Sony's attempts to fix it, but if you choose to get rid of 1.50, you have no options.

Exactly right, the only reason that we have homebrew is because Sony did not anticipate that we would be revese engeneering the device to the degree that we are. I mean, at this point we have homebrew SDK's that are so close to Sony's offical one that it is simply uncanny.

Posted by MGamer

i am just using the wipeout browser it works ok. ive got a 1.52 psp is der any homebrew for dat

Posted by Al Borland

no der aint no homebrew for dat

Posted by Necrololicon

Quoting MGamer: i am just using the wipeout browser it works ok. ive got a 1.52 psp is der any homebrew for dat

Don't expect any, ever. 1.51 might have a flaw since Sony pushed out 1.52 very quickly afterwards, but 1.52 will be ignored. Upgrading to 2.00 is your best bet, honestly.

Posted by Boner

I just read the following waring:

Quoted post: CAUTION: This update is only for customers who obtained PSP (PlayStation Portable) for Japan which model number is PSP-1000 or PSP-1000 K. Upon completion of preparing, we will announce update information for the other countries/areas customers via SCE Group Web Site or other channels . For theses customers who obtained PSP in the other countries/areas, please DO NOT update PSP through this web site.

At the following link:
[URL=http://www.pspworld.com/sony-psp/software/psp-20-update-warning-posted-001089.php]http://www.pspworld.com/sony-psp/software/psp-20-update-warning-posted-001089.php[/URL]

I thought I should post that in case anyone decided to jump the gun and update their PSP now.

Yes, I did read that, but since the American update doesn't come out for a good amount of time, like, 2 weeks, I'm just fine with my Japanese system update.