All I did was change controllers.

Posted by inequity

Ok, my controller has been acting all buggy so I bought a new one. When I got home I took the memory card out of the old controller and put it in the new one. Now, when I turned on perfect dark a red screen popped up saying "Card data has been erased do to corruption or damage". What damage? All I did was change controllers. Now, I know theres no way to get my data back, but can some please give a possible explaination as to why this happened?? The controller was made by Pelican, by the way. The old one was not.

Posted by D.J Cat

N64 memory cards have a habit of dying if they are taken out while the system is switched on.
Also if you switch controllers around while the system is turned on that may do it as well.

Posted by Arczu

I really don't understand that, especially since some games seamlessly switch over paks in other games.

I've had corruption once before. It's pretty annoying. When it "repairs" the pak, it usually deletes everything and formats it.

Posted by -Shadow-

Thats happened to me as well, but I got lucky. None of my data was erased.

Posted by Ch

What DJ said or putting in a memory card while a game is running has ruined my data couple times.

Posted by D.J Cat

Some games allow you to take the controller pak out when it is on, usually to put in a rumble pak, when you will get a message with something like

"if you want to use a rumble pak, insert it now"

I think, if you just randomly take it out it can do bad things, but not always.
But to be on the safe side, don't take it out while the machine is on unless you get one of those messages.

Posted by Angerion the Brave

Was it a Nintendo brand memory card? That can make a huge diference.

I had this one "Memorex" memory card. It erased all my data once and created it's own HUGE file called "QWACKERS" or something obserd like that. I was able to delete the QWACKERS file, but I didn't use it for anything other than Bomberman customs after that.