Biggest PS2 dissapointment

Posted by The_Essence_Vortex

I only have three really big ones:
1. Devil May Cry 2. Lots of people will agree with me on this one. Hey, Capcom, I want 5 hours of my life back!
2. Samurai Warriors. I was expecting SO much more than what was given to me. What I wanted was a different approach than the Dynasty Warriors series, which is still a pretty fun series nonetheless. What I got was Dynasty Warriors in Japan v1.0. Fun, but dissapointing.
3. Prince Of Persia: The Sands Of Time. This is still a fun game, don't get me wrong. The problem is I don't like the combat. As a fan of the series, I wanted it to be bigger and better than the other POP games. The combat ruined the whole experience for me.

Posted by Fiindil

Most likely it has to be DMC2 as well, what were Capcom thinking?

Posted by Bebop

Although I haven't played it my friends say Devil May Cry 2 is terrilbe. Alot here seem to dilike it aswell but what was so bad with it?

Posted by a person with nothing

dbz budokai 2 terrible story mode. Need i say more?

Posted by NightmareBassX

What do you expect from Dragonball Z lolz.

Good show but got crappy after cell saga I think.

Quoting Bebop: Although I haven't played it my friends say Devil May Cry 2 is terrilbe. Alot here seem to dilike it aswell but what was so bad with it?

It is terrible. Why? I'll tell you. Imagine a game (and I'm talking about the first one here) where it was pure fun, both oldschool and new. Imagine that it had a great storyline, tight controls, pretty cool (though a little jaggy) graphics, and was just great to play. Now, take away all that, add a load of crap, make it really easy, and you have DMC2.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

Rune: Viking Warload. Sounds interesting, no? God...

Posted by Fiindil

Quoting Angelwing: Rune: Viking Warload. Sounds interesting, no? God...

Why did you have to bring that up? I'd successfully repressed all memories of that, but still, DMC2 has got to be worse. Like Essence said, it's DMC with all the good parts taken out, and what in god's name where Capcom thinking of when they added in Lucia?

Posted by Nemesis

even though this is a different genre, True Crime is some crap

Quoting Fiindil: Why did you have to bring that up? I'd successfully repressed all memories of that, but still, DMC2 has got to be worse. Like Essence said, it's DMC with all the good parts taken out, and what in god's name where Capcom thinking of when they added in Lucia?

I know what they were thinking of when they added Lucia. They thought: Hey, let's make take Trish, give her side weapons, daggers, and, oh, we can't forget the most important thing. Let's make her LAME.

Posted by Fiindil

If they had to have a female character, they should have put Trish in as she was[1] (apparently you can unlock if you complete the game on 'hard' but i really can't be bothered to), maybe give her a sword similar to Dante's and with extra shiny powers and crap

EDIT: [1] and not some usless, boring character with no personailty whatsoever. Oh, and a crappy Russian accent

Posted by The Nomad

Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance. Fun, but too short and the final boss was a joke.

Posted by PerpetualAngst

Driv3r really disappointed me. I was looking forward to it so much.

Posted by Fiindil

IMO, the Dark Alliance games don't deserve the name Baldur's Gate, I feel that was the beginning of the end of Interplay

My thoughts exactly. Sure, they can be fun, but they aren't true to the real Baldur's Gates' grandness. They know how to make a good game. But they sure didn't show us in the DA series.

Posted by Slayde

Quoting a person with nothing: dbz budokai 2 terrible story mode. Need i say more?

I second that.

Posted by RPGgamer15

The biggest PS2 dissapointment would have to be the system its self. Dont get me wrong I like the ps2 to some extent. But if it werent for the RPGs that are on the system. I wouldn't have bought it. Its cheaply made and breaks so easily.

Posted by sephiroth_theunborn

Viewtiful Joe 1 & 2 to me is a dissapointment It just was a game that just so boring

Posted by Kit

The Sims.
Terrible, There was no upstairs, and there was a furnature limit, How gay is that?

Baldurs Gate: Dark Alliance.
Nothing like the original Baldurs gate, It's short, too easy, there are hardly any types of armor. It's really boring.

Those are the main two to me.

Posted by Big Boss

WWE SmackDown! vs. RAW - The way THQ cut down on some great season features really made the game unappealing to me. Having about three matches per show and eliminating the tag and cruiserweight titles, as well as the removal of the title history really takes away from the whole purpose of the game... to make you feel as if you're part of the WWE.

Posted by Fiindil

Quoting Big Boss]Intellivision rules them all.

Quoting PerpetualAngst: There was no arguement with me to begin with, I was merely informing you Nomad please dont get me wrong. I think I already fixed things up while Vortex re-worded it.

I think I did. I'm not sure. If I did, I give credit to Angst for settling this. I guess I can't read.

Posted by Izonik

Biggest PS2 disappointment, for me, was the PS2. Could've been soooooo much better than it turned out. I'm glad I stuck to the GC...

Posted by Darkbackward

Simpsons hit and run.

Why reviewers and fans supported this blasphemy of a game and game developer is beyond me. This is not the first clone*, not the second clone**, but the third trite, simpsons, clone*** made, and if we buy this we condemn originality and laugh at the development process.

* Simpsons Skateboarding (tony hawk)
** Simpsons Road Rage (crazy taxi)
*** Simpsons Hit and Run (grand theft auto)

Posted by Izonik

Quoting RPGgamer15: Your wrong. I like video games alot. Its just that the ps2 is the worst system of the three. And if you think the ps2 is better then the XBOX then you need therapy.

Good man, tells it like it is! Gamecubes still rock though-just because it doesn't have a DVD player doesn't mean it sucks. Xbox and GCs are stellar!

Posted by Fiindil

Quoting Darkbackward: Simpsons hit and run.

Godawful game, what the hell were the developers thinking of?

BTW: I maintain that Road Rage is better than Crazy Taxi

From what I've played of Hit and Run, I actually enjoyed. Largely because I love the Simpsons, and gameplay seems to be alright. I haven't played Road Rage yet, although I'm considering buying it.

Posted by vgmaster13

Driv3r i can not belive they messed this up, i looked forward to this game to find out it was just a piece of smoldering piece of crap!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Arczu

Devil May Cry 2: Yes, this game was SUUUUPER disappointing. But...

I like the whole arena thing. As cheap as it is, you still just can't keep going on forever. And there were a few pieces of music I like in the game, but that was it (For example, the Time God statue when you are upgrading weapons and buying items).

Simpsons Hit & Run: While I haven't played it, I do like what I have heared of it. It may be a GTA clone, but it still appeals to fans of the Simpsons. Like me... heh.

And if you diagree with the PS2 being made at all, you guys need to reconsider your points. PS2 came out first, before the XBox and Gamecube, so of course PS2 versions of games may not be as great. When it came out, that was the technology supreme.

Posted by kaseyrocks

lets count sand is boring

Posted by Masuyo T3h Ninja

Sony getting an ego and killing the DC was a big downer. 'Tis why I got an XB and a GC.

Posted by Stranger

Kill Zone hzs to be the bigest one for me i mean it was going to be the halo killer but it wasnt a match for it

Posted by loony636

The fact that the PS2 was ever created was a let down. Everything about it was terrible. The two controller ports, the controllers themselves, the fact that it was more popular than the Xbox and the Gamecube even though it didn't have many decent games, the small memory cards, etc. So in short, I don't like the PS2.

Post to de-reppers: Oh boo hoo, I pointed out some flaws in your favourite console and you de-rep me. At least post to say why you de-repped me with some reason other than

Quoted post: You're stupid

Posted by Fate

"Didn't have many decent games?" What the hell are you talking about?

Posted by brownoystercult

[QUOTE=loony636]The fact that the PS2 was ever created was a let down.The fact that you were ever born was a let down.
[quote]Everything about it was terrible
Everything about you is terrible.
[quote]The two controller ports
Thus the reason for the multitap you tard. Plus that just means more money for Sony.
[quote] the controllers themselves
The Dualshock 2 controller is the most comfortable out of the three.
[quote]the fact that it was more popular than the Xbox and the Gamecube even though it didn't have many decent games
It didn't? It had many decent series in fact. For example: DMC, Jak And Daxter, Ratchet and Clank, Gran Turismo, Burnout, MGS, GTA, THPS, NBA Street, Tekken, etc.
[quote]the small memory cards
So what if they're small? They go into the console. And last I remember the XBOX memory cards are smaller.
[quote]So in short, I don't like the PS2
So in short, you're a dumbass.

Devil May Cry and Ratchet and Clank were the only PS2 exclusives that weren't mediocre messes of games(I've never played MGS2 or 3, but I'm sure they're awesome). The Jak And Daxter series is way too conventional. Gran Turismo is a stupid, insipid, dull-witted, asinine, tiresome, vapid, flavorless, wearisome, uninteresting, strenuous series of incomprehensibly boring racing games. Tekken, well, I'd rather play a 2D fighter. I'll just leave it at that. Iterations of MGS and GTA ended up on other consoles. And every other game you mentioned was multi-platform to begin with. I'm just glad you didn't mention FFX.

Also, The GC controller is the most comfortable to hold, in my opinion. But the Controller-S is good to hold too.

But seriously are there any other better driving sims than Gran Turismo on the GC if any? If you don't like Tekken there's always the GG series. And all the multi-platforum games I mentioned, started out on the PS2.

And as for the controller, yeah, that's your opinion and who am I to change it?

I honestly have no idea how anyone could enjoy a game like Gran Turismo or Forza Motorsport. I'd much rather play a FUN game like Burnout 3. Gran Turismo bores me, due to the fact that:

1. Car manufacturers just can't stand the thought of VIRTUAL VERSIONS of their precious cars getting a dent.

2. Cars move at the speed of a snail stuck to 30 pieces of tape. Yes, it's very realistic that when I'm moving at 112 MPH that I'm actually moving at the speed of a grandma driving a wagon with a wheel missing.

Posted by loony636

Oh boo hoo. I pay out your favourite console and your best comback is that I'm stupid?

Quoted post: So what if they're small? They go into the console. And last I remember the XBOX memory cards are smaller.

By the memory cards being small I mean't the capacity, not the size.

Quoted post: It didn't? It had many decent series in fact. For example: DMC, Jak And Daxter, Ratchet and Clank, Gran Turismo, Burnout, MGS, GTA, THPS, NBA Street, Tekken, etc.

And I think the quality of the games are relative to everyones' personal opinion. Plus Burnout, GTA and some others of those are on other consoles.

Quoted post: Thus the reason for the multitap you tard. Plus that just means more money for Sony.

Yes, the multitap means more money for Sony and less money for you!

Quoted post: The Dualshock 2 controller is the most comfortable out of the three.

Out of the three what? Consoles? Out of the many thousands of third-party PS2 controllers? Anyway, its down to everyones' personal opinion. Personally I think that the GCs controller is the best.

So at least I have decent comebacks.

Posted by Fate

Quoting loony636: Oh boo hoo. I pay out your favourite console and your best comback is that I'm stupid?

Because you are. He just avoided arguing with you. You provided no backup to your statement.

[quote]By the memory cards being small I mean't the capacity, not the size.

I think both the PS2 and the XBox have 8MB, but it takes more memory to save an XBox game than a PS2 game. I remember not being able to save one file of Chaos Theory for the XBox, and it made me upset that I couldn't transport my file.

[quote]And I think the quality of the games are relative to everyones' personal opinion. Plus Burnout, GTA and some others of those are on other consoles.

Relative, yes, but when a mass majority comes out and says, "Holy ****, G[color=skyblue]od of War is awesome," it's not relative anymore. It becomes fact.[/color]

[quote]Yes, the multitap means more money for Sony and less money for you!

Good marketing?

[quote]Out of the three what? Consoles? Out of the many thousands of third-party PS2 controllers? Anyway, its down to everyones' personal opinion.

Third party controllers are horrible. So no.

Posted by zodiac2113

britney's dance beat . my sis used 2 play it and it was just 2 repetitive

Posted by loony636

Quoting Fate: I remember not being able to save one file of Chaos Theory for the XBox

But one Chaos Theory save is huge, several thousand blocks (whatever that is in mb I don't know), way too big to fit on any memory card.

Quoting Fate: Good marketing?

No, horrible marketing, it means less people will buy the PS2 because they don't want to pay extra just to be able to play with 4 people.

Posted by Ch

Driv3r really dissapointed me because the commercials said all these wonderful things about it and I end up playing it and it does not compare to San Andreas.

I was broken with Enter The Matrix. It was fun for a minute but then gets unbearably boring.

I was also bothered with True Crimes: Streets of LA. The missions were redundant and wherever you went, the scenery looked the same. Just the sheer size of LA County ****ed me off. It takes like 10 minutes to get from Downtown LA to Route 1 Pacific Highway.

And to top off my griping, Dead To Rights was terrible.

Posted by loony636

Quoted post: Driv3r really dissapointed me because the commercials said all these wonderful things about it and I end up playing it and it does not compare to San Andreas.

It also had lots of glitches; like when cars fall from the sky and you fall through the footpath, or when you go through walls and buildings. Its quite an annoying game.

Posted by KoH

I know that when I say this many people will disagree with me, but I'm going to anyway.

Biggest PS2 dissapointment: *** of War.

I'm sorry, everyone, but the way that everyone hyped *** of War up to be I expected something that could beat the hell out of Devil May Cry 1 or 3, it didn't. Maybe it's just my own opinion, but people said that this game was awesome and I didn't think so. And if you think I don't like it just because I'm ignorant of greek mythology or what-not, you're dead wrong. I love greek mythology and I admit that parts of the game were great, but I just hated that the game was not all that fabulous.

Anyway... that's just my opinion. The hype ruined the game for me, I think, and hence, left much to be desired.

Posted by Fate

Your biggest disappointment is *** of War? The biggest one? Oh my blue holy hell, you suck. You could say, "It was pretty average." You could say, "It's not my favorite." But for you to say it's the biggest disappointment?

You haven't played enough "hyped" video games on the PS2.

Posted by KoH

See, I knew I'd get this type of feedback.

But yes, my opinion still sticks. I think the biggest dissapointment for me was God of War. Everyone in the WORLD said it was so awesome, said it was great! I just saw a game that was inbetween average and good.

Then again... I don't buy that many PS2 games.

Posted by solarphoenix990

One of the games that I found to be a huge dissapointment to the playstation2 was Jak and daxter the precurser legacy because compared to jak2 and jak3 that game is a piece of crap. I think that just because of the fact that you have to use eco, which has a time limit, compared to guns that have a certain amount of ammo to the guns.

Posted by Bebop

The controller is a disappointment. It's neither amazingly comfortable or terribly uncomfortable. It's unoriginal and just bland. It's design pales in comparsion to that of Nintendo and Microsoft.

Posted by Aioros

Quoting KoH: I know that when I say this many people will disagree with me, but I'm going to anyway.

Biggest PS2 dissapointment: *** of War.

I'm sorry, everyone, but the way that everyone hyped *** of War up to be I expected something that could beat the hell out of Devil May Cry 1 or 3, it didn't. Maybe it's just my own opinion, but people said that this game was awesome and I didn't think so. And if you think I don't like it just because I'm ignorant of greek mythology or what-not, you're dead wrong. I love greek mythology and I admit that parts of the game were great, but I just hated that the game was not all that fabulous.

Anyway... that's just my opinion. The hype ruined the game for me, I think, and hence, left much to be desired.

[COLOR=Yellow]Haha, very funny, you've gone too far with the jokes man. You silly goose, you :D :D :D :D [/COLOR]

Posted by KoH

Quoting Aioros: Haha, very funny, you've gone too far with the jokes man. You silly goose, you :D :D :D :D

Hah, yeah. I wasn't joking though. :(

Posted by Pit

Quoting KoH: Hah, yeah. I wasn't joking though. :(

Heh, it's funnier the second time.

Posted by Random

Mmmm Disappointments.. Every Final Fantasy Released for the Playstation 2. X was... Iffy it wasn't too bad but X-2 made me want to commit suicide.

Posted by Aioros

Quoting KoH: Hah, yeah. I wasn't joking though. :(

[COLOR=Yellow]OMGROFLOLOLOOLLOLLOOL!!!!!!! That's it man, now you've really gone too far with the comedy man!!! YOU sir, are funny. :D [/COLOR]

Posted by Bebop

He's not saying *** of War was a bad game. He's just saying all the hype made the game a disappointment because it didn't live up. Ever played a game that didn't live up to the hype but was still good? Stop being a little *****

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting Aioros: [COLOR=Yellow]OMGROFLOLOLOOLLOLLOOL!!!!!!! That's it man, now you've really gone too far with the comedy man!!! YOU sir, are funny. :D [/COLOR]

I am laughing, too! I CAN'T STOP! Funny replies, this thread has.

The most disappointing PS2 game is... is... hmmm... I can't say. I usually avoid turds, so, um... yeah! DMC2! There.

Posted by The Dark Harmonixer

Final Fantasy X-2 for sure,the horror!

Posted by loony636

True, oh so very true.

Yes, I suppose I'm going to have to go with FFX-2, as well. The only aspect of the game that isn't disappointing are the graphics. But that certainly doesn't make up for anything.

Posted by Axis

Killzone. I got around to playing the game because my brother said "It kicked Halo in the nuts". Boy it was pretty bad. I still don't see why people are hyping Killzone PS3. :l

Posted by Vampire Slayer

Quoting SomebodyRandom: Mmmm Disappointments.. Every Final Fantasy Released for the Playstation 2. X was... Iffy it wasn't too bad but X-2 made me want to commit suicide.

Thats how I felt when I played that......you can't call it a game....****! Is the only way word you can use to talk about this game.

Posted by Black_Wolf

Quoting KoH: See, I knew I'd get this type of feedback.

But yes, my opinion still sticks. I think the biggest dissapointment for me was God of War. Everyone in the WORLD said it was so awesome, said it was great! I just saw a game that was inbetween average and good.

Then again... I don't buy that many PS2 games.

[COLOR=Black]
Man, first off, I respect alot of peoples opinions, especially on this site were there seem to be alot of uneducated buffons (2nd time,LOL), but to say that God of War is just average...that just don't make no godd[color=black]amn[/color] sense. So my question to is what does it take to make a great game for you dude, because it's obviously an nearly unachievable task.

God of War may just be the best PS2 game that will ever grace the system and certainly in the top 5 best ever. There was nothing average about the game. First, the story was original, and told in a great narrative. Then, the gameplay...I've never had so much fun playing a game. Gameplay is flawless. Level design is great, graphics are great and the music is sooo sweet, especially since u could download it for free.

Yea dude, pretty much, you've got to be either an ancient gamer who doesn't really appreciate the direction gaming has gone, or you just suck as a gamer and if you're a huge GameCube fan, then that'll explain alot. Now, back to the thread.

Biggest PS2 Disappointments:

-God of War: LOL, just kiddin'!
-Suikoden IV: I haven't even played it yet, but Suikoden is my fav. RPG series and I've heard nothing but bad things of the latest installment, which really sucks, b/c the PS2 is so lacking in good RPGs anyway.
-Dynasty Warriors Series: Dynasty Warriors 2 was one of the best games for the PS2 early on and like nothing I'd ever played, so when the sequels kept coming, I kept buying, but jeez, they never changed a damn thing. New characters, same battles, absolutley no new gameplay elements anywhere in the series. And it wouldn't take much to make something new in the series, KOEI pisses me off.
-The Getaway: Jeez, what a first party answer to GTA...I pre-ordered this game, so stoked about it. And I've probably played it for a total of an Hour and a Half. Game is just stoopid terrible. Horrible driving, sub-par shooting, boring environments. They spent waay to much time on the movie sequences and not the gameplay. The Human Shield thing was cool, but that was it.
-Demon Stone: I'm probably one of the few who was excited for this game. Mostly b/c I'm a fan of the Forgotten Realms and R.A. Salvatore who penned the script for the game. I thought it had potential to be freggin' awesome, especially since it was using the Two Towers Engine. But that was also the problem, b/c it was pretty much the Two Towers. There wasn't anything new, expect that u could switch between the players on screen. Big Whoop.[/COLOR]

Quoting Axis: Killzone. I got around to playing the game because my brother said "It kicked Halo in the nuts". Boy it was pretty bad. I still don't see why people are hyping Killzone PS3. :l

Killzone was actually a pretty decent game. The graphical glitches in the game ruined it. The Playstation 2 couldn't handle it. Killzone 2 on the otherhand, looks amazing, and with the sheer power of the Playstation 3, it should be able tohandle it fine. Which means, this time around, it may just be the "Halo Killer".

Posted by boomstick

KillZone-Wouldn't have been as bad if it hadn't been shown as a 'Halo Killer', that made me much more crictal of the game, it was decent, but to call it that and then produce something that wasn't even as good as the original Halo, bah.

Devil May Cry 2-Again, decent game, but not anywhere near it's kickass prequels.

Castlevania: Lament Of Innocence-I was hoping it'd finally mark a good 3D game for the Castlevania series, but it was a pretty decent game, but still didn't meet my expections, at least, it was better than Castlevania 64.