SKA! something you can skank too

Posted by Flounder

well almost every other thread talks about dream threater. so i am making one on ska. this is a thread for pro-fun people. talk about anything ska. but if you dont have anything good to say...go away to a dream theater thread

Peace outside ska kidz!!

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

What the hell does "skank" mean when used as a verb?

Posted by rivercitytecmo

it's an umbrella term for the type of dancing that people do to ska music.

Posted by s0ul

dude what a poser let's mock him for not knowing

*represents*

Posted by cool gamer dad

Quoting Vampiro: What the hell does "skank" mean when used as a verb?

It's the "ska" equivalent to the metal banging of the head.

Posted by Flounder

gosh s0ul big d isnt that great..maybe its because i havnt listened to it much.. but catch xxii and streelight are better!

i found some random ska band on my computer and they nto bad...any one listen to balck happy?

Posted by auzzman5151

voodoo glow skulls are good.

Posted by MetalVox~55

I am not a fan of Ska. too much about it bugs me.

Posted by s0ul

Quoting Flounder: gosh s0ul big d isnt that great..maybe its because i havnt listened to it much.. but catch xxii and streelight are better!

Nah, dude, just gotta get used to it. It's more jazzy than anything Tomas Kalnoky (mr. let's sing about guns) has written, but it rocks, plus the vocals in it are kinda hit-or-miss with people. But yeah, listen to it more, I didn't like it at first either (Learning to Listen, Take Another Look, and Apology are all... bad though, I'll give you that)

Posted by Flounder

dirt lip is good..but i still like catch 22 and streelight more... i pray i can see catch 22 and rbf in bosie!

Posted by s0ul

Check out The Forces of Evil since you like RBF so much if you haven't before omg. Not as good, but still rockin'

oh and hey floudner have u herd of this band i operation ivory i think or sumthin there way cool u should chex the mout

Posted by VirtualRealityZone

Quoting s0ul: Check out The Forces of Evil since you like RBF so much if you haven't before omg. Not as good, but still rockin'

oh and hey floudner have u herd of this band i operation ivory i think or sumthin there way cool u should chex the mout

sweet

Posted by bazariah

theres an excellent band who are very local to me called the lovespuds, they have their own style we like to call skunk ska/punk :D

if you can find out anything about them online, mp3's or whatever have a looksie :D

Posted by Flounder

ya isnt like matt not-a-freeman the bassist? **** punk last names...ya op ivory rocks..i think

Quoting bazariah: theres an excellent band who are very local to me called the lovespuds, they have their own style we like to call skunk ska/punk :D

if you can find out anything about them online, mp3's or whatever have a looksie :D

skunk good ****...got a link to a web site?

Posted by bazariah

http://rockmatrix.co.uk/artists/details/rockmatrix/reference/6918

the lead singer matt wignall actually lives/lived (i aint spoke to him in ages) on my road :D

Posted by Pit

im such a skank, yeah thats right, streetlight manifesto, catch 22, less than jake. Let's all skank. Hey soul, hi.

Posted by Flounder

im down ;)

Posted by Pit

Quoting Flounder: im down ;)

im down with your face you dirty skank, im such a skank. Not as much of a skank like s0ul though, he's really skanky.

Posted by cool gamer dad

Of all people to make a bad joke about skanking...

WHO WOULD HAVE KNOWN?

Posted by TheSecondComing

There's a great underage ska scene in Melbourne, where I live. Heaps of fun.

Posted by Ch

Eh Ska pisses me off.

Posted by s0ul

Dude, everyone likes Streetlight. At least everyone here, because they played a concert in our ****ty little suburban town of River Falls, AND EVERYONE IN THE HIGH SCHOOL WENT. Even the ones that didn't know what ska was. It's kind of annoying, but whatev.

I did some major skanking last night, actually, Bosstones, Aquabats, Catch 22 (keasbey nights, you cant skank to the other stuff very much). There wasn't much variety because it was just a few of us in some guys garage during a party, but it still rocked :mad:

Posted by MooJ

[quote=S0ul]oh and hey floudner have u herd of this band i operation ivory i think or sumthin there way cool u should chex the mout

Quoting Flounder: ya isnt like matt not-a-freeman the bassist? **** punk last names...ya op ivory rocks..i think

OPERATION IVY! NOT IVORY! It's not some sort of elephant band.

Grrr....

Madness is a good Ska band:D

Posted by Kamek

I've heard from Streetlight Manifesto, and I'm not sure if this fits into ska, but Bandits of the Acoustic Revolution. It's not really my type of music. A lot of people where I'm from frown upon ska as "not cool". Can someone enlighten me on why people think this?

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Quoting MooJ: Madness is a good Ska band:D

Madness is THE good ska band.

They inspired No Doubt, y'know, who in turn played a little bit of ska, but mostly sucked.

I got into Christian ska, like the O.C. Supertones, the W's and such.

All great songs to skank to, but not quite so cool as other secular bands.

Also, what do you guys think about sublime? They're supposed to be this legendary ska band, and you can't even skank to most of their songs (that I've heard)

Posted by TheSecondComing

Quoting Kamek: A lot of people where I'm from frown upon ska as "not cool". Can someone enlighten me on why people think this?

Because it isn't very cool. It's probably the least cool kind of music out there.

It'll come back though. And I will be a trendsetter. :)

Posted by Skitzo Control

The Hammer is not really a Ska kid, but I'll listen to the music and will definitely have to check out some of these bands. And even if The Hammer knew how to skank, be assured he wouldn't do it. Besides, who would actually want to look like this:
[img]http://middlekauff.com/SKANK.GIF[/img]

Posted by s0ul

Quoting MooJ: OPERATION IVY! NOT IVORY! It's not some sort of elephant band.

Grrr....

...wow Mojo... wow. please please please be joking

On an unrelated note, I would like to strongly recommend the band Something to Do to anyone that can find anything by them. Very good stuff, but they're pretty on the down-low even for a ska band. And ska isn't... mainstream, it's not uncool. Uncool is that the BLACK EYED PEAZZZ are like the number 1 music video on VH1.

Posted by Flounder

Quoting MooJ: OPERATION IVY! NOT IVORY! It's not some sort of elephant band.

Grrr....

Madness is a good Ska band:D

wow...just wow

s0ul i am in idaho with a 26k connection and i dont think i will be able to see the catch xxii and rbf show....but i am 30 miles away form canada so if there is a draft i can ditch it :)

Posted by s0ul

I'm missing it too. :( Gonna be in NY cmon wtf am i gonna do there

lol 26k, i didnt even know that existed :(

Posted by Flounder

neither did i untill now..and who the hell said that streelight wasnt ska!?.. the connection is too slow to go back and check :(

Posted by s0ul

I don't think anyone said that!

Fei-on, Sublime's more like hella slow reggae ska, you could skank to it, but only in super slo-mo. They rock, but are admittedly not very skankable. HAVE I MENTIONED THAT THEY ROCK ANYWAY?!

Posted by Flounder

yea sublime well....dub music. the great thing about this band is that almost every one likes them for something.. the rymes, beat ect. it brings alot of different ethnicitys together... some black and mexican guy (both of them thuggish looking) and myself (white) were chillin in class listing to sublime and talking about them and we diddent even know oneanother...ya i felt like a g 8)