Quick way to check IP Address in XP

Posted by Philsdad

If you need to check your IP address in XP, here's a little tweak to make it easier and really quick. Open up notepad and copy the following text:

@echo.
@ipconfig | find "IP Address"
@echo.
@pause

Save in your C:\Windows directory as ip.bat

Now anytime you need to check it you can just type "ip" on the run line on the start menu. Saves a little time from having to go into command prompt or to sites like whatismyip.

Posted by TopgunFFX

nice share works good

Posted by Trigger

You can always just check your IP in the current Internet connection details window by clicking the connection icon in your system tray, though.

Posted by EnTiTyHaCkEr

That too or you can do it the "old Fashioned" way and type in IPCONFIG at the command prompt.

Posted by NegativeTrend

Some people just don't get the idea of this thread. :o

Posted by Trigger

[quote=NegativeTrend]Some people just don't get the idea of this thread.
[quote=topgunFFX]they gotta argue with everything
Oh, so some members don't understand that this thread is about making a certain piece of information easy to obtain merely because said members posted their own, equally quicker ways of retreiving the exact same information? Well done on that one, you two. :rolleyes:

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Trigger: Oh, so some members don't understand that this thread is about making a certain piece of information easy to obtain merely because said members posted their own, equally quicker ways of retreiving the exact same information? Well done on that one, you two. :rolleyes:

Not only that, but there weren't actually any arguments at all.

Heh, I always used my Little Fighter 2 game to check my IP. *oscar*

Posted by Philsdad

That's fine, but not everyone has an Internet Connection Tab in their system tray (I like to keep mine as uncluttered as possible) and not everyone wants to take the extra step of going to CMD everytime and typing in "IPCONFIG." I was simply trying to tell people of another quick and easy alternative, but of course I can't even do that without you people bickering with each other. No wonder this place is going down the tubes.

Posted by NegatveTrend

Thanks for the tip, James. Ingenious. I'll be sure to put it to use next time I need to see my IP address! Actually, I don't even know what it is...now I do, see, came in use already!

Posted by Trigger

[quote=Philsdad]...I can't even do that without you people bickering with each other.
Cry me a river. We weren't even bickering, we were providing other methods. Not everyone knows about Command Prompt's "IPConfig" command or the connection status details. Every bit of information is helpful to some users and not against this threads rules, regardless of whether or not you wanted to make a one post thread in your shining glory.

So we took away from your little bit of knowledge, whoop-dee-doo. [spoiler]Now there's bickering.[/spoiler]

Posted by Philsdad

How about getting your ego in check? Did I ever say that other people couldn't contribute information? No, I don't believe I did. I'm all for the free expression of information. I believe I was referring to the useless bickering between YOU and those other members that happened AFTER said posts with the other methods. I thought it was pretty obvious..

Posted by Philsdad

How about getting your ego in check? Did I ever say that other people couldn't contribute information? No, I don't believe I did. I'm all for the free expression of information. I believe I was referring to the useless bickering between YOU and those other members that happened AFTER said posts with the other methods. I thought it was pretty obvious...

Posted by Trigger

[quote=Philsdad]I believe I was referring to the useless bickering between YOU and those other members that happened AFTER said posts with the other methods.
Oh, one post. What a bicker-fest!

Posted by Philsdad

Are you done now?

Back to the topic at hand, anyone else with another method or shortcut, please share!

Posted by Hyper

I've setup a page that I just bookmarked. Basically, I just have a .php file echo the user's IP.

http://www.h22s.com/ip.php

Posted by Trigger

Just like [url=http://www.whatismyip.com]this[/url] website, really (and several other websites out there).

Posted by Velvet Nightmare

Quoting EnTiTyHaCkEr: That too or you can do it the "old Fashioned" way and type in IPCONFIG at the command prompt.

I was about to say that, actually. It's more detailed than other ways.

Posted by Hyper

Quoting Trigger: Just like [url=http://www.whatismyip.com]this[/url] website, really (and several other websites out there).

Sure, but the one I uploaded just gives the IP - nothing more, nothing less. An even simpler version of the link you posted.

Posted by Philsdad

I heard that the guy who originally owned the What Is My IP site recently sold it on ebay for about $400,000 dollars. Guess he got enough traffic that he didn't have to do jack with maintain it, and was able to make that much on it.

By the way, typing ipconfig /all at the CMD prompt will give an even more detailed analysis. And you can always put ipconfig /all in that batch file if you want to save a step.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

Or the more convoluted 'winipcfg' which gives pretty much the same thing.

In all honesty, the time saved typing six characters isn't a great saving.

Posted by Philsdad

You do realize that Winipcfg doesn't come with Windows XP right? That was a relic of older MS Operating systems like Win 98, ME etc. Hence the title of the thread which emphasized Windows XP. :big_bird:

...what?! I'm sure I've used it on my XP machine before. Maybe my memory is just shot... >.<

Posted by Philsdad

Nope, it wasn't included with XP or Win 2000. And I totally agree with your statement that the six extra characters aren't worth any shortcut. I really wish they never got rid of Winipcfg in the first place. If you needed to release or renew your IP, you could do it with a few button clicks. But in IPCONFIG, you actually need to type a whole line out.

Well then, shut my mouth. :)

Posted by Philsdad

Wow, I just did a little research and it turns out that MS released a GUI tool for Windows 2000 Resource Kit called "wnitpcfg" which works exactly like winipcfg. I just tried it out and it works perfectly in XP.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/tools/existing/wntipcfg-o.asp

Check it out.

Posted by Hyper

Quoting Philsdad: I heard that the guy who originally owned the What Is My IP site recently sold it on ebay for about $400,000 dollars. Guess he got enough traffic that he didn't have to do jack with maintain it, and was able to make that much on it.

By the way, typing ipconfig /all at the CMD prompt will give an even more detailed analysis. And you can always put ipconfig /all in that batch file if you want to save a step.

People sell websites all the time (though, usually they don't do it on eBay, too much risk). $400k isn't bad for the traffic he was probably getting.

Posted by Philsdad

Yeah, and it's not so much the traffic, but more of the fact that the page probably took no more than 10 minutes to put together one time, and it never needs to be updated or worked on for the most part. What a terrific idea for who originally came up with it.