Silent Hill vs Resident Evil

Posted by wolfheart_2001

hi guys,

what u think is more enjoyable game series?SH or RE?

and which episode is the best for each one in ur opinion?

for me, i think "silent hill" the first episode is the best horror game ive ever played.music, actions, characters ,timing of joystick vibration and the buzzles are all excellent in this game, maybe the graphics resolution is not high quality but i still also impressed with graphics design of the whole game

Posted by VirtualRealityZone

Well...I like the Resident Evil series because of the storylines, and the graphics. The 2 things I dont like about the resident evil series are the "voice acting" and the horrid camera angles. In Resident Evil 4 they fixed everything...except the voice acting lol...

I like the SH series too, but if I had to choose one i'd go with the RE series....because of RE4 : )

Posted by Shin-Ra

Silent Hill. Best soundtracks of any game series, unsettling storylines and genuinely disturbing moments. Resident Evil focuses too much on the enemies surprising you, while Silent Hill lets your imagine paint the picture of what's out there and exactly what that creature is or looks like. I still have yet to play RE4, but I doubt that'll change my opinion on the series as whole.

Regardless, Eternal Darkness for Gamecube is far better at "getting to you" than either of these game series.

Posted by Last Fog

Quoting VirtualRealityZone: In Resident Evil 4 they fixed everything...except the voice acting lol...
What are you talking about? RE4 has pretty good voice acting.

I like the resident evil series much better, with the exception of resident evil 4. They took out everything that defined the series. It's basically just a pure action game with little strategy required, expect for upgrading weapons which is a very cool addition and the one thing that actually made me like it at all.

Anyway.... the old RE's were great with the limited inventory, how you had to manage what you could carry, and I loved the item boxes and didnt even mind using ink ribbons. Even the camera angles appeal to me, never knowing whats around the next corner.

Posted by The Dark Harmonixer

Resident Evil all the way,I never liked Silent Hill,I can't stand playing those games,ugh...

Posted by Lizard King

let's get the record straight first of all. Resident Evil is an ACTION ORIENTED SURVIVAL HORROR GAME and Silent Hill is an ADVENTURE ORIENTED SURVIVAL HORROR GAME. also, RE has a main storyline while SH has multiple storylines depending on the game. RE practically tells you whats goin on in the begininning, while SH gives you bits of clues here and there. RE deals with zombies most of all and sometimes mutants as a result of a virus, more like a science fiction game, while SH deals with demons and hellish deformities in the way of a nightmare thats goin on. RE is not scary for the most part, more like a thrill to kill zombies and mutants. while SH focuses on the players emotions by combining fog, darkness and uncertainty. SH also presents ENVIRONMENTAL CHANGES from bad to worse situations, while RE remains the same. but like i said, they may be 2 survival horror games, but they are 2 different horror games. RE doesnt really have an original theme to it, as it pretty much is a Night of the Living Dead style game. while SH is best described as an unholy mix of Hellraiser and a Twilight Zone episode. lol. RE has restrictions more so with their storyline considering its about a zombie/mutant causing virus, while SH has unlimited themes since you really dont know whats going on, pretty much there are mutliple endings for all of the SH games, and you pretty much have to interpret it for yourself. i believe in a game that shows uncertainty would make a bigger scare then one that tells all from the beginning. that to me, redefines survival horror. silent hill wins my vote.

Posted by Crazy K

I have to say silent hill. Ever since I played Silent Hill 2, I was so fasinated with the story (far better then RE story for sure). Silent Hill is overall more scarier then resident evil. Resident Evil is good for a scare aswell. But I prefer Silent Hill way more. I am so glad there making a Silent Hill film soon.

Posted by KoH

Silent Hill 2, hands down, is the best horror game I've ever played. Sure, RE is pretty scary at times, but playing Silent Hill 2 in the dark is pretty much the scariest experience I've ever had. Out of all the games that I've played I've only actually been scared by SH2.

As for RE... I just couldn't really get scared by any of them. Good series, don't get me wrong... just not that scary.

Posted by Lizard King

Silent Hill 1,2 and 3 were the best of that series. the 4th one was ok, but in my opinion not up to par with the original 3. i cant wait for the Silent Hill movie though. i think maybe if they made it in the presentation, feeling and pace of those older horror movies it would be awesome. but if they try to continue with makin it in more of the fast paced newer horror movies, like the grudge, skeleton key, the ring, etc, i think it wont be as popular, because its gonna be more of the same kind of movie for the past 4 years, lol.

Posted by Speedfreak

Both stop being scary about an hour in. Only one of them stays a decent game. Silent Hill is far too easy, there's next to no "survival" involved.

Posted by KoH

Quoting Speedfreak: Both stop being scary about an hour in. Only one of them stays a decent game. Silent Hill is far too easy, there's next to no "survival" involved.

Only reason I prefer Silent Hill 2 is because it actually scared me for about 10-20 minutes when I first started playing. RE did nothin' for me. But both games got boring after a while, as far as any scariness or shock goes.

Posted by Lizard King

Quoting Speedfreak: Both stop being scary about an hour in. Only one of them stays a decent game. Silent Hill is far too easy, there's next to no "survival" involved.

first of all, the later silent hill games have difficulty settings and puzzle settings. so its not too easy. resident evil is actually too easy, especially with the powerful weapons you are intruduced to, like rocket launchers, grenade launchers, etc. plus, zombies are always easy targets, lol. at least silent hill deals with the unknown, so you never can expect what will happen next. rather then resident evil's unoriginal "zombie" storyline. oh wow, a zombie causing element, hint hint, return of the living dead. but instead of it being a chemical, it is instead a virus, wow, how original compared to those other zombie flicks, lol. and at least silent hill puts you in bad to worse situations, from fog to pitch black darkness, from ordinary vacant buildings to hellish infested buildings. how can you say that a building that transforms into a gory delipidated nightmarish version of its former self is not scary? especialy when its inhabited with twisted and macabre creatures. and what adds onto the experience, is the drama they include, VERY REALISTIC, in emotions that is. silent hill can practically go on forever, because it really is goin by individual episodes, rather then one whole storyline.

Posted by Feverus

Quoting Lizard King: resident evil is actually too easy, especially with the powerful weapons you are intruduced to, like rocket launchers, grenade launchers, etc. plus, zombies are always easy targets, lol.

I dont know how far you've got in any RE game but the ones ive played are actually hard. Its not that easy fighting Mr. X with just a handgun. Zombies may be easy when theres 1 or 2 but when theres a horde and you have limited ammo your pretty much ****ed unless you can find a way out of the area fast

Posted by Thingy

i got stuck on silent hill 4..i think i like resident evil better

Posted by Lizard King

resident evil is a great game, dont get me wrong, but its nonoriginal, not scary at all, very little thrill ambience, and just plain of a survival horror game, considering when resident evil first came out ALOT of other game makers made zombie games just to compete. so its way overdone. not to mention the endless array of zombie flicks. maybe thats why capcom started with a different direction in Resident Evil 4. but either way, the mutation and zombies are limited compared to Silent Hill's infinite universe of possibilities. and yes, i did say Resident Evil games are easier, but i was referring to the majority of them, i havent played RE 4 yet cuz i dont have a gamecube. but playing as a cop or experienced armed forces agent takes considerable fun out of the whole "survival horror" aspect of the game. i admit, silent hill 4 cant compare to the original first 3 games, but its still ok. i got stuck in the game too, but overcame it. i didnt like how they restricted your inventory of items and stuff in the 4th silent hill, but it just makes it more challenging. silent hill in my opinion is way more intriguing and more interesting of a game and definately way more scarier. zombies were a thing of the past, and unimaginable horror is the thing of the present and future.

Posted by Feverus

Quoting Lizard King: dent evil first came out ALOT of other game makers made zombie games just to compete.

Yes, they did and failed in comparison

Quoting Lizard King: zombies are a thing of the past, unimaginable horror is a thing of the present and future

Okay Nostredomis

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

My vote goes to Resident Evil. I never really played any SH games, only a few hours into them, then tended to stop. Plus, I have better memories of RE.

Posted by Lizard King

Resident Evil started me into the survival horror genre, ill give it that, but when the original silent hill came out, i found the ideal survival horror game. how can you compare a zombie game to a game that offers all kinds of horrific creations? Resident Evil is just an action game. Silent Hill is the true survival horror game. there is no comparison. because Silent Hill is true survival horror. anything is possible in the Silent Hill world, unlike Resident Evil's science fiction plot.

Posted by Feverus

you know there are other monsters in RE besides zombies

Posted by Fate

Quoting Lizard King: Resident Evil started me into the survival horror genre, ill give it that, but when the original silent hill came out, i found the ideal survival horror game. how can you compare a zombie game to a game that offers all kinds of horrific creations? Resident Evil is just an action game. Silent Hill is the true survival horror game. there is no comparison. because Silent Hill is true survival horror. anything is possible in the Silent Hill world, unlike Resident Evil's science fiction plot.

SH is more survival than RE in the idea that you're not a trained professional in gun usage. RE is more than an action game, just like SH is more than just another survival game.

And SH has a more science-fiction plot than RE. I'd take both.

Posted by Lizard King

Quoting Feverus: you know there are other monsters in RE besides zombies

yes i know there are other monsters besides zombie, like i said earlier, there are zombies and mutants. but its mainly about the plot. the plot is limited. a virus that causes any living thing to become a mutated monster. in silent hill u can make any kind of scenario because there was no absolute definition of the whole town. because the town is either hell, or the characters interpret it to be hell. if youve ever played a silent hill game to the end, you will hopefully know there are multiple endings, depending on what u did in the game. and that determines the outcome. sometimes its a more so happier ending, but other times it can be a weird or bad ending. silent hill mixes drama and horror together so perfectly.

Posted by Lizard King

SH is more survival than RE in the idea that you're not a trained professional in gun usage. RE is more than an action game, just like SH is more than just another survival game.

And SH has a more science-fiction plot than RE. I'd take both.

how can you say silent hill is more science fiction?????? resident evil deals with human made viruses that cause zombies and mutants. and silent hill deals with either nightmares or actual hell. so which is science fiction? i would say something that deals with something scientifically, like resident evil. lol

Posted by Fate

"A literary or cinematic genre in which fantasy, typically based on speculative scientific discoveries or developments, environmental changes, space travel, or life on other planets, forms part of the plot or background." -Dictionary.com

Not necessarily science.

Posted by Skitzo Control

The problem with Silent Hill is that it's one awful cliche after another. If The Hammer wanted a horror game with crazy looking monsters and demons, he'll play Doom. If he wants a survival game, he'll play Doom 3 or Resident Evil. If he wants a very good and original storyline, then RE will be his choice.

Posted by Lizard King

ok, if the hammer wants the same zombie crap after another, i guess RE would be his choice. as for you FATE, silent hill is not science fiction, it is fiction, but not science fiction. a man made virus causing people to become zombies or mutants that is science fiction.

Posted by Lizard King

and by the way hammer, if you want idealistic demons, you play doom, if you want zombies you play resident evil, if you want twisted monstrosities you play silent hill.

Posted by Lizard King

original storyline.....resident evil????????????????lol that is a laugh. one zombie game after another. at least silent hill leaves you with a puzzling storyline and open ended scenarios at the end of each game, so you can interpret and see how it ends each and everyway. maybe confusing, but it proves that it is not linear and every action counts to uncover the finale. like i said before, the unexplainable is way more interesting then the explained.

Posted by Lizard King

if you want an action style survival horror game, play resident evil or house of the dead series. if you want true survival horror in its purity play the silent hill series. all you resident evil fans want one thing and one thing only, action and a fast paced game. but you fail to understand survival horror is suppose to be slow paced from the begininning. and silent hill does just that. and it intensifies throughout the game. actually lets just compare both games as if you were to choose in real life which one you would rather endure..........a town of zombies and mutants.....or a town of your darkest fears? a town where even the environment is against you. and if you claim that zombies and mutants are your darkest fears then first of all that is nothing compared to what you can really imagine, and secondly silent hill can make those light nightmares of yours come true in way better fashion then any resident evil game, doesnt matter if its about zombies, demons, disfigured creatures, etc. i cant emphasize enough, silent hill is unlimited in possibitlies. it is all about peoples fears.

Posted by FullMetal

Quoting Lizard King: if you want an action style survival horror game, play resident evil or house of the dead series. if you want true survival horror in its purity play the silent hill series. all you resident evil fans want one thing and one thing only, action and a fast paced game. but you fail to understand survival horror is suppose to be slow paced from the begininning. and silent hill does just that. and it intensifies throughout the game. actually lets just compare both games as if you were to choose in real life which one you would rather endure..........a town of zombies and mutants.....or a town of your darkest fears? a town where even the environment is against you. and if you claim that zombies and mutants are your darkest fears then first of all that is nothing compared to what you can really imagine, and secondly silent hill can make those light nightmares of yours come true in way better fashion then any resident evil game, doesnt matter if its about zombies, demons, disfigured creatures, etc. i cant emphasize enough, silent hill is unlimited in possibitlies. it is all about peoples fears.

I agree horror games are about creeppiny you out and going slow tryingnot to get the living **** scared out of you.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

Lizard King: Cease double/triple posting or I will delete the double/triple etc. posts.

Anyways, I've only ever played a few minutes of a RE game, which didn't impress me all that much. I'm willing to give them a try over again, though, as well as trying out the Silent Hill series.

Posted by ZEN

I have to say that I'm a bit more drawn to the atmosphere of 'Silent Hill' simply due to my interest in the paranormal. It's all handled so well - visuals, sound, environments, characters. It's like a virtual form of unexplainable "madness".

'Resident Evil' handles it's logic limitations very well however. Just because it is grounded in a psuedo-reality based world and deals with scientific experiments gone wrong, there is still that element of fear and unprediction.

As for game play, both series are fairly even. I thought the 'Silent hill' games were slightly better than the earlier 'Resident Evil' ones because of the following camera and quick dodge manuevers. There was also the excellent use of the light in Silent Hill.
However, I consider 'Resident Evil 4' to have the best game play of all of them (the scenes where you are defending yourself from the swarm of crazed townsfolk while they are attempting to break into the house your cornered in is simply "untouched" in terms of intense action).

Then again, the actual "room" sequences from 'Silent Hill 4: The Room' are very original. There should have been more focus on that part of the game.

Bottom line: I find enjoyment in both games.

Posted by Lizard King

Quoting ZEN: I have to say that I'm a bit more drawn to the atmosphere of 'Silent Hill' simply due to my interest in the paranormal. It's all handled so well - visuals, sound, environments, characters. It's like a virtual form of unexplainable "madness".

'Resident Evil' handles it's logic limitations very well however. Just because it is grounded in a psuedo-reality based world and deals with scientific experiments gone wrong, there is still that element of fear and unprediction.

As for game play, both series are fairly even. I thought the 'Silent hill' games were slightly better than the earlier 'Resident Evil' ones because of the following camera and quick dodge manuevers. There was also the excellent use of the light in Silent Hill.
However, I consider 'Resident Evil 4' to have the best game play of all of them (the scenes where you are defending yourself from the swarm of crazed townsfolk while they are attempting to break into the house your cornered in is simply "untouched" in terms of intense action).

Then again, the actual "room" sequences from 'Silent Hill 4: The Room' are very original. There should have been more focus on that part of the game.

Bottom line: I find enjoyment in both games.

ZEN, i totally agree . both games are great in their own ways, and both games are different in their own ways. it all depends on people's preferences.

Posted by Crazy K

I agree with all of you that Silent Hill is much more easier then any resident Evil Game. And Lizard king is wrong when he said "if you want an action style survival horror game, play resident evil or house of the dead series. if you want true survival horror in its purity play the silent hill series" I disagree with him because he said that silent hill is a TRUE survival Horror game when in the game you rarely encounter monsters (there is far more zombies in Resident evil, then there is monsters, demons etc in silent hill.

Dont get me wrong, I love Silent hill for its great story and its great music (akira Yamaoko.) Resident Evils story is not that interesting to me. But Silent Hill's has tons of mystery to it, witch I love. SH and RE are the same to me in gameplay but overall I like Silent Hill more over Resident Evil.

I agree with KoH that SH2 was very scary. Wile RE was kinda scary but it just did not feel all that scary. Dont get me wrong but I was scared wile playing RE2 on the N64. But overall SH is much more scarier.

But I rarely Play RE so I cant judge it based off Playing RE2 2 times.

Posted by Lizard King

crazy k, to tell you the truth, more zombies does not equal more survival horror. there are other elements that put together a survival horror game besides the monsters. its the atmosphere, the mood setting, the storyline, suspence, etc. if you dont have the other elements, then you pretty much have mindless action. and like everyone knows already crazy k, silent hill doesnt emphasize on more monsters the merrier. maybe resident evil does that, i dont know. but silent hill puts everything together evenlly. and dont get me wrong either, i love resident evil too. they are both two different style games.

Posted by Aioros

[COLOR=Yellow]I'm a big fan of both series. RE popularized the survival/horror franchise while Silent Hill perfected it, but the easy choice for me is Resident Evil. Simply because i have gotten attached to the story and characters over the years, it's became my favorite franchise among many in video games. However, i must agree that RE has lost some of it's difficulty and level of scariness after RE4, but changes are expected when you take something in a new direction and RE is now going in the right direction.

Silent Hill is the definition of what a survival/horror game should be. The prime example being SH2, arguably the best in the series and probably the scariest experience you'll ever have playing a video game (don't be surprised if you wet your pants after your first encounter with Pyramid Head). H[COLOR=Yellow]e[/COLOR]ll, SH2 could probably be considered scarier than most of the "scary" movies we see today.[/COLOR]

Posted by Lizard King

hey Aioros, i respect that RE is goin in a different direction. from what i heard, RE4 is a great game. i havent played it myself though. just like SH4 went in a different direction, even though its not up to par with the original 3 SH games, its still ok of a game. i respect what the creators of these games do. its their ideas anyways.

Posted by HappyCamper

I think that ResidentEvil serise is just as good as the Silent Hill serise. The graphices are both great and the game play on both of the games are great also. Anyways both the games are good but I do like Resident Evil a little better :)

Pluse I hated the 4th Silent Hill, but did like the others.

Quoted post: The graphices are both great and the game play on both of the games are great also

The gameplay in the old RE games was ****.

Posted by Aioros

Quoting Vampiro: The gameplay in the old RE games was ****.

[COLOR=Yellow]That's debatable, i liked the gameplay. :( [/COLOR]

Posted by The Judge

I say Resident Evil moreso. First off, I've never beaten any Silent Hill game, although unlike Resident Evil, they genuinely scared the crap out of me. However, I enjoyed playing Resident Evil more. Although they didn't fix the horrible controls until #4, I always enjoyed the storyline. Which is best? That'd be a tie for all of them, actually, with Nemesis being a close second to #1, 2, and 4. However, I think personally if you took #2, and gave it the controls and all the improvements of #4, you'd have an instant best-seller.

Posted by Buneasta

Silent Hill is psychological horror, while Resident Evil is more of an action adventure series with weird stories involving viruses and crazy villagers. I've always prefered Resident Evil because of its characters and puzzles.

Posted by The Judge

Holy crap you're still around VGC? I haven't seen you in ages.

Quoted post: That's debatable, i liked the gameplay.

It's only debatable when you take everything in to account. Since that tends to make up for the shoddy controls and whatnot.

Posted by Lizard King

it is debatable. look at when resident evil, re2 and re3 came out. there gameplay was not fully 3d rendered at the time. but when silent hill first came out in early 1999, it was fully 3d rendered. the controls were the same in both games. except you had a camera button on silent hill which did help especially in a 3d environment. resident evil was in between 2d and 3d at the time. so in other words, the 3d aspect of RE was the fact that you can move in a 3d manner, but the 2d aspect of RE was that the camera was always in a fixed position.

Posted by Lizard King

it is debatable. when resident evil, re2 and re3 came out, it was not trully 3d gameplay. the movement was 3d but the camera was in a fixed position as in a 2d game. when silent hill first came out in early 1999, it was trully 3d rendered gameplay. as you even had a camera button to push to straighten out the camera when you werent satisfied with the camera angle at the time. it was really helpful.

Quoted post: it is debatable. when resident evil, re2 and re3 came out, it was not trully 3d gameplay. the movement was 3d but the camera was in a fixed position as in a 2d game. when silent hill first came out in early 1999, it was trully 3d rendered gameplay.

Fixed camera or no, they were fully 3-D games.

Posted by Lizard King

lol, its not fully 3d if one aspect of the game is not. which in the case of the original resident evil games, they were not "fully" 3d. if you can move around in 3d, then your movement is 3d. but if the environment, because of the camera, is not rendered in 3d, then obviously it is not trully 3d. the arguement can go on forever. because yes, the original resident evil games are classified as 3d games, but if you want to be specific and technical, then they are not trully 3d. if you define a 100% 3d game, then everything has to be in a 3d manner. not just the movement, but also the scenery.

It's fully 3-D

Posted by Lizard King

how can you say Resident Evil 1,2 and 3 are trully 3d? all the rooms and hallways have you looking in one direction all the time. that is not full 3d. the environments may be dispayed in 3d and the movement is in 3d, but if you arent allowed to have control of your viewing, that is not 3d. so therefor, the original resident evil games are not 100% 3d. which makes it awkward if you compare it to silent hill's viewing.

Quoting Lizard King: Resident Evil 1,2 and 3 are trully 3d

I agree.

Posted by Lizard King

Quoting Vampiro: The gameplay in the old RE games was ****.

i agree

Posted by Lizard King

listen to this.

Jack Thompson, a republican attorney that is teaming up with senator Hillary Clinton, said this about George Bush-

"The evening in January 2000 that I appeared on NBC Nightly News to talk about the link between violent games and Columbine, Tom Brokaw asked then Governor Bush about that link and what he as President would do about it?

George Bush simply said "Parents just have to be better parents." He should trying telling that to my clients in Paducah whose three daughters were gunned down by 14-year-old video gamer Michael Carneal, who trained on Doom to become a more efficient killer. What did they, as parents, Mr. President, do wrong? Was sending their kids to school their mistake?

George Bush, as Governor of Texas, gave a state tax break to Id Software of Dallas, the makers of Doom, after Columbine, for Heaven's sake, and it is his Department of Defense which has subsidized with taxpayer dollars the creation of violent video games for teen consumption at the Institute for Creative Technologies at the University of Southern California. Defense Secretary Rumsfeld has increased funding for this taxpayer rip-off since my appearance on ABC's World News Tonight more than two years ago exposing this scandal. Don Rumsfeld is supposed to be catching terrorists, not training them."

as you all may recall by now, Hillary Clinton's big mouth is the reason why Grand Theft Auto is recalled off of store shelves.

Posted by ZEN

Quoting Lizard King: lol

I agree.

...And!

I thought the controls in the 'Resident Evil' series was an issue. The characters were handled like R.C. cars. Pushing "UP" to move forward is very ackward (especially if the character is moving downward on the screen.
'Silent Hill' used "UP" to move forward also, but the since the action is seen from mostly behind the character, movement feels more natural.

Also, 'Resident Evil' is also not "fully 3-D". The graphics are stationery and pre-rendered (a TRUE 3-D game uses a real-time based graphics engine to change the viewing angle to display different dimensions on the fly - like 'Silent Hill').
The characters and enemies are 3-D however, the game itself is not "fully".
But that argument is probably a "joke" anyway.

At least I hope it is...

Posted by Fate

It is fully 3D because the GAME IS IN THREE DIMENSIONS. In any RE game you can move in any setting in all directions. The camera is simply fixed. Now you guys are going to say that *** of War isn't fully 3D because you can't look in first person. Then you're going to say Metal Gear isn't "fully 3D" because you can't move in first person view. :/

Posted by The Judge

Metal Gear Solid for the GC was able to look in 1st person though.

Quoted post: Metal Gear Solid for the GC was able to look in 1st person though.

You couldn't move in first-person though, only aim and shoot (right? I can't remember).

And if she actually means Metal Gear, well, it was on the NES. So the lack of first-person is should be no suprise, or knock against it.

Posted by The Judge

Yeah, you could only aim.

Also, the original was a 2D game, to my recollection. I thought we were talking about the 3D environment?

Posted by Fate

Nah, I was talking about the comments on a game being "fully 3D" stupid. Of course the games are fully 3D; you just can't see everything.

Posted by The Judge

Well yeah, 3D just means that the environment has a Z Axis to it, which is depth. You have to have omnipotent view for it to be 3D.

It's fully 3D. Why is this still being debated?

And even if it's not, it's 3D at the least... as in you can move around three-dimensionally. Who cares.

Quoted post: Also, the original was a 2D game, to my recollection. I thought we were talking about the 3D environment?

The original was 3D, it was on the PS1 (http://media.psx.ign.com/media/000/000569/imgs_1.html), so there was really no reason for it to be 2D. Plus, the one I was was talking about was Metal Gear, unless that's what you were talking about...

Posted by Lizard King

yes your right in a way, if you can move around in 3d i guess that means your movement is 3d. but if you cant see where your going, lol, then your view is restricted in a 2d perspective.by the way, i cant wait for the Silent Hill movie coming out next year.

Posted by Lizard King

cant wait for the Silent Hill movie coming out next year.

Posted by The Judge

Why do you say "lol" when unecessary and constantly double post? I'm honestly wondering. And why do you use such bad grammar? Seriously.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

And why do you continue to double post? I've warned you before, and I'll not warn you again.

Quoted post: yes your right in a way, if you can move around in 3d i guess that means your movement is 3d. but if you cant see where your going, lol, then your view is restricted in a 2d perspective.

No, your perspective is just restricted to what you can and cannot see. Just because you can't see the whole room, doesn't mean the your view is all of a sudden 2D.

Though, the fact that the image doesn't pop out of the screen and is projected onto a 2D monitor, of course it's going to be 2D. That doesn't mean the environments and perspectives can't be 3D.

If that made sense.

Posted by CRONOfrog9

I like them both, but resident evil did it first. Also, you should have included eternal darkness in the poll, that was one of the creepiest survival horror games ive ever played.

Quoted post: Also, you should have included eternal darkness in the poll, that was one of the creepiest survival horror games ive ever played.

Read the first post. It mentions the word "series". ED isn't a series yet, and might never be.

Plus, RE and SH are known as the headliners in the Survival Horror genre, while, as good as ED was, there aren't nearly as many fans.

Posted by Lizard King

i fixed my double posting ok, i apologize. but to The Judge-im LOL because some of these people still think that RE is fully 3d rendered. thats what im laughing at. and if you dont like it Judge, then i LOL to you too. if you compare the first 3 RE games to Silent Hill 1, then you will know that they are not trully 100% 3d. period. if you cant manipulate the camera, then you arent seeing in 3d. but like i said before and ill say it again, the movement of the original RE games is 3d. and by the way, RE didnt really start the survival horror genre. even though RE did popularize it, it was i think, correct me if im wrong, but the original Alone In the Dark game. then there was Phantasmagoria series for the computer, and that even to this day, is alot more horrifying then RE. i mean come on. a town of zombies is scary????? maybe in real life, but not in movies and definately not in video games, anymore.even Luigi's Mansion is scarier then RE. lol. just kidding. zombies are completely overdone. the new RE4 game is a nice reinvention of the whole RE series though. i give Capcom credit for goin in a different direction with there series, sadly i cant say the same for Konami and SH4. plus, i give Vampiro alot of credit, for argueing with me respectively. even though him/her and i are the main reason why the RE 3D debate is going on. either way, Vampiro is a great debater, and i totally understand his/her logic over this matter. and instead of getting mad or defensive, he/she continues to explain his/her reasoning in a calm fashion. thats how its suppose to be.

Posted by The Judge

You're such an idiot! :cookie:

A 3D game indicates that it's not 2D, considering we don't have any other methods to represent a game. Anything that isn't flat and can only allow a movement in 4 primary directions is a 2D game, whereas everything else is 3D. If you're in a 3D game, you are in a THREE DIMENSIONAL environment, moron.

And that doesn't compensate for your horrible grammar and posting. You can stop double posting, but you seem totally unaware that the first letters in nouns and sentences are capitalized. I mean, really, I hate reading your posts. Screw debating with you "respectively." You're just a babbling loon. Look up Three Dimensional and tell me the definition.

Posted by Lizard King

oh man, The Judge caught me in the act. im guilty of "illegally" lower casing all my letters. ****, i cant outsmart the great and mighty Judge. either that or he is a nit picker of grammar. maybe next time ill start speaking in ebonics or better yet in hee haw slang. lol. anyways, your right in a sense Judge, super mario rpg is considered 3d too. which was nintendo's first attempt at a 3d mario game. you could move in all 4 directions in a 3d envioronment. but if you compare it to super mario 64, well, its alot different. super mario 64 is a trully 3d game where you dont JUST move in all 4 directions, but you can look up down left right etc, as in 3d viewing . the 3 dimensions are length, heigth and depth (width)

Posted by ZEN

The debate for the most part was about the use of the word "fully". Obviously 'Resident Evil' is a 3-D game, however I do not consider it FULLY 3-D (that description goes to 'Silent Hill'). It's just a simple way of separating them on a graphical basis.
There needs to be some way of differentiating the two graphic styles of these games, so a line must be drawn somewhere. That "line" would be the use of the word "fully". It's that simple.

Perhaps a better way to separate the two would be use more technical terms such as "pre-rendered 3-D" or "fixed 3-D" (Resident Evil) vs. "polygonal 3-D" (Silent Hill) instead of just simple words like "3-D" vs. "fully 3-D". Of course, these terms require that someone has predetermined knowledge of various graphic types, but I am sure that most gamers would know the difference.
(Hopefully.)

Posted by Lizard King

nice answer ZEN, i cant agree more. that is the whole arguement. there is a technical difference, but also a simplistic similarity. so i wanted to point out the more technical difference to people, like The Judge, that there is a fine line of 2d and 3d, and that there are experiments of the combination between 2d and 3d. like i said before, trully 3d is 3d gameplay 3d environment and 3d viewing. if you have one less then what i listed, then it is not fully 3d. if you have a game that allows 3d movement, but a fixed camera then that is not fully 3d. same thing if it were the other way around, where your movement wasnt 3d but your environment was 3d like in ALOT of side scrollers nowadays. 3 dimensional shows depth. but if you were literal about it, like i was tryin to be, then that constitutes the elements in certain games to be that way and not all.

Posted by justincosme

Yo I don't care what anyone say Silent Hill out ranks Resident Evil by alot. Imagine having a life in silent hill. then imagine having a life in RE? If your a person that likes scary games with scary backgrounds u would perfer Silent Hill part 4 was a piece of crap but to be honest the best monsters. They even had ghosts in it but so did part 1 but harmless but the ones at the end wern't.Every part was good at a certain thing. ok part one had the bes sound effects. part 2 had the best face expression lip movement the third one had the best enviornment graphics and the last one have the best monsters even the girl from the rings in it lol.

Posted by Minshin

Before I start to make extra opinions, I would like to say I like Resident Evil over Silent Hill. Now then, anyone who says RE's story ISN'T original while SH's IS original hasn't played enough games or watched enough movies to know the ignorance of that remark. Hell breaking loose in an average community with average people because of an unknown reason has been around LONG before any videogame, but a viral weapon being produced in a secret mountain facility that makes zombies and horrible mutations out of every living thing you could possibly imagine when it infects it is FAR more original. Sure, both series are cliche in some areas, but RE set the ground for survival horror, and with all its chapters, has kept that ground. As far as RE being fully 3D, there were different camera angles quite often, crapheads! It doesn't mean any part of it is 2D just because the camera angles don't adjust constantly like you whiners want. It's to make you feel scared, curious, and suspicious of what's around you. The only part of this game that is 2D is one of two: The menus or the text/doodads on them lol...

BTW- I'm interested in the SH movie since I see it as another oppurtunity for Hollywood to correct the HORRIFIC WRONGS they made with the RE movies, which they should've been BEATEN with crowbars and then treated with salt for making so horrible... NO, the director's former glory of movies like SOLDIER don't fathom my stone walls of hate!

Posted by Roth

Alright, I've read ALL OF THESE POSTS!!! Let me start off by saying...

[SIZE=7]RESIDENT EVIL IS NOT FULLY 3-D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111SHIFT+ONE!!!!11111111[/SIZE]

I like both story lines alot, both games rock.... BUT! Silent Hill is FULLY 3-D, and RE IS NOT!

Thank you, d[COLOR=White]a[/COLOR]mn it.

Posted by ZEN

Ugh people...

I thought the whole camera angles thing and 3D debate was over. At least try to recognize the difference between "prerendered/fixed 3D" and "real-time rendered polygonal 3D". If it helps, just compare the graphics in 'Resident Evil 4' to the earlier 'RE' games, and observe the "following camera" versus the "fixed" one.
Seriously try.

I also consider 'Silent Hill' much more original than 'Resident Evil' (particularly 'Silent Hill 4: The Room'). However, originality alone doesn't automatically make a game (or any medium) great. It's what the creators do with it that matters.
I thought 'SH' handled it's original concepts a little bit better than 'RE'.

Posted by ExoXile

Quoting Roth: Alright, I've read ALL OF THESE POSTS!!! Let me start off by saying...

[SIZE=7]RESIDENT EVIL IS NOT FULLY 3-D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111SHIFT+ONE!!!!11111111[/SIZE]

I like both story lines alot, both games rock.... BUT! Silent Hill is FULLY 3-D, and RE IS NOT!

Thank you, d[COLOR=White]a[/COLOR]mn it.

No?
What is it then?

Posted by The Punisher

I love the Silent Hill Series, and I realy havent played enough Resident Evil. So for me I would say Sillent Hill, since thats the game that more or less turned me into this mind gouging freak I am right now. Anyways about the 3-D thing, Like I said above I have played enough games to know, but I do know one thing, It use's 4-D (thats time for you dumb people out there) =).

Posted by Roth

Quoting ExoXile: No?
What is it then?

It's as ZEN stated... fixed 3-D. You can't move the environment around like you can on other games. They finally fixed that on RE4, which is my favorite one now by the way :D The first 3 Resident Evil games are not FULLY 3-D, but that doesn't make me love them any less.

Posted by chimaira

despite how much I love the Silent Hill series, RE4 was one of the best games to date, so in that respect, they're even.

Posted by BEZ1

Silent Hill

Posted by Lizard King

The Silent Hill movie seems to be shaping up pretty good so far. They have a teaser trailer, not official trailer yet, of what they got so far on there website. It looks to be true to the whole Silent Hill nature which is good to know. Hopefully there wont be so much action and lame one liner phrases, lol. Those are good in Arnie movies and other action movies, not horror movies. This is the webpage http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/silenthill/index.html
It has a bunch of nondescriptive but intense and weird scenes. So it's kinda hard to see what's going on, but that's how Silent Hill works for the most part- "Uncertainty is more intense then knowing." I just want to add my two cents in for Minshin....First of all, i love the Resident Evil games. The movies...blah. But the games were good. To me they weren't original though. Especially when there are plenty of zombie flicks out way before RE that told of similar if not the same concept and storyline. I can see your point on how you think making up nonsense is easy and not as original in a game that tries to make sense. But Silent Hill is not a game where it is a bunch of mumbo jumbo just continuesly tryin to confuse the gamer. It does have an original plot, I believe more so then RE, and the whole concept of the plot is the gamers interpretation of the events, as there are multiple endings to each Silent Hill game. I think that is very original especially in video games. That hasn't actually been done before Silent Hill was introduced especially in a survival horror game. But if you prefer a stablized storyline, then Resident Evil would be good for that type.

Posted by VirtualRealityZone

Resident Evil :D Definetly...

Posted by Lizard King

Resident Evil is ok. Kinda bland, but entertaining nonetheless.

Posted by The Punisher

Silent Hill, I found it before I found R.E. I do love R.E. haven’t dwelled into the story much, but its got its fun moments with me. Although Silent Hill warped my mind when I first played it. All the hidden scenarios, and just creepy environments.

Posted by Lizard King

Hey everyone, better bring out your Umbrella, cuz its gonna be raining evil residential zombies tonight. Better call for Leon Kennedy and Jill Valentine, lol. Maybe I venture down towards Silent Hill for the fog and darkness. Getting my mind warped in a twisted town sounds more fun.

Posted by mr.MCR.com

Resident evil for sure! I can't get enough of 4. Its the most entertaining thing in the world! I wouldn't go that far but still.....
I love it.

Posted by GameMiestro

RE, because of the overall better gameplay.

Posted by eXavier deuX

You can't compare the Resident Evil series and Silent Hill series, but if you insist..

RE4 > SH2 > Superman N64 > Rest of RE and SH series

Quoted post: RE4 > SH2 > Superman N64 > Rest of RE and SH series

You fail for life by saying anything is worse than Superman 64.

Posted by Saruin

Resident Evil was at one time a little scary, but in recent years that has gone the way of the side-scroller. Silent Hill still seems to remain true to it's predecessors. Problem is Silent Hill has always been the kinda game that you find the horrific gore and carnage AFTER it has actually occured, as opposed to Resident Evil, which.....well, puts YOU in the middle of all that. Resident Evil seems to overwork the player and Silent Hill underwork them (to a point of boardom). Resident Evil has the STARTLE & JUMP-Factor & Silent Hill the SHOCK & CONFUSED-Factor, so it's really anyones guess which is TRUELY better. Then again I'll play anything if it has enough Blood, Gore and decapitation in it. Throw in a chainsaw or a 50-cal mag & I am sold.

Posted by Saruin

Quoting Emperor Vampiro: You fail for life by saying anything is worse than Superman 64.

Agreed. Except for one exception. SUPERMAN (Gameboy Color) 1% worse.

Posted by The Judge

Even worse than Devil May Cry 2? Because that was pretty rock bottom.

Posted by Saruin

Quoting Czar Judge: Even worse than Devil May Cry 2? Because that was pretty rock bottom.

Unfortunatly so. This game was so bad, that it literally only sold around a thousand copies world-wide.