Movie Games or Video Game Movies?

Posted by Alastor

Thought this would make an interesting thread. It's simple. Just vote on what you think are better: Movies based on games, or games based on movies. :cool:

If you pick the third option, please post which games/films made you post such.

Posted by Shaggy

well i think it differs on what game your going to make a movie on.both tomb raiders suckedy. but Advent Children looks great so it really just has to do with the game and the script.

Posted by Stalolin

They both suck. But I'd rather watch a movie so I don't have to suffer through playing the game.

Posted by Fate

Movies based on good games. Mortal Kombat was so badass.

Posted by maian

I'd prefer move based games. Pretty much every game movie has sucked, save for Mortal Kombat, which wasn't even that great. (Not to mention the second one sucked)

But, there's quite a bit of movie games that are pretty good. I heard Riddick got good reviews, and most of the Star Wars/LOTR games are great. If you're talking some Disney movie, you can't expect much. But, if you do t right, movie games can be good.

Posted by EnTiTyHaCkEr

It all depends on the movie/game.

I remember when the Mario Brothers movie came out and I sat and watched it over and over, until my brain became mush from the horrible portrayal of Bowser.

The Mortal Kombat movie was kickass, but they messed up a few parts in my opinion.

Ive been anticipating the FF7 movie for "Only *** Knows How Long" and I hope it doesnt suck mega balls. Im just waiting for an FF8 movie! >.< But that will never happen.

[quote=Maian]...I heard Riddick got good reviews, and most of the Star Wars/LOTR games are great...

Like Maian said, Riddick was great, and most of the Star Wars games were great. All LOTR games, with the exception of "The Hobbit" (I know, I know, its not part of the LOTR movie/story but its based off one of the makers books, so MEH!) were great!

Posted by Alastor

I'm pretty sure The Hobbit follows Bilbo, so it's kind of a not-so-important background story. Then again, I've never seen the cartoon/read the book, so I don't know much about it. :cool:

Posted by EnTiTyHaCkEr

Yes, It does follow Bilbo but it sucks in so many different degrees it isnt funny.

Also a few other Movie based games that sucked hardcore were Starsky and Hutch and The Hulk. I played a demo of both, and then swore never to play either of them again because of their crappyness!

Posted by Fantum

Chronicles of Riddick was an excellent game. One of the best Xbox has to offer, and that's saying much. As for some movie based games... the Marvel games are "alright". Nothing special that hasn't been done in the past, but fun none the less.

Now game based movies usually turn out pathetic, as I haven't seen anything good, at all. So far, Advent Children looks awesome as hell. The action, story, goes well with the past game, and the developer of the original game is working with the production company. So I expect something great out of this movie.

Posted by Mystic Hero

I'm going with Movies to Games on this one. Most movies to games turn out to be pretty good. The Star Wars gaming series is one of the most popular ones and the last game they made for it about Revenge of the Sith got an excellent review. Afew of the Marvel games based on the movies turned out to be good too. I much enjoyed playing Spider Man 2, it was completely different from the first and a lot fo fun. Youc ould swign through the city in a GTA style way and go into certain stores and buildings. The moves and combos on the game were much and improved and the Spidey Reflexes feature make moves all the more fun to do and some of them looked rather cool. Even though the last X-Men RPG wasn't based on the movie, I thought it was done rather well. Being able to choose form 25 different X-Men and use each of their special abilites to complete leels was rather fun. Gaming artitst always have that talent of adding extra stuff not in the movie to spice things up a bit and I must say that these games and the Star Wars games brought it home quite well. My vote goes to movies to games.

Posted by Drewboy64

They both suck, but game-based movies are HILARIOUS! Anyone seen the Mortal Kombat movies?

Posted by Master Chief 12

[Font=Tahoma][Size=2][Color=Orange]I said Movies based on Games. Coincedentally, Microsoft has handed the movie rights to Universal for a possible Halo movie. I personally don't think this movie is going to be any good. Enuff Said[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Posted by Drewboy64

Mortal Kombat was great back then, yes. But now It's terrible. The acting is terrible, and only where comedy is unintended is the movie funny. Like how liu cane is running down a ramp when hes fighting subzero, he can't do a flip or anything, so he just jumps and yells "yagh!" And then theres the part where he is with Jade in a desert, and then one second later, it starts snowing. In the desert. And then shao Kung never has his skull mask on, which is how everyone recognizes him. And then shang sung looks hilarious with his eyebrows that are five feet above his eyes.

So yeah, mortal kombat is a good movie to get a laugh.

Posted by Fate

That sounds a lot like the second ****ty movie, the the awesomely awesome first one.

And Shang Tsung is awesome.

Posted by The Dark Harmonixer

Video Game based movies,since I don't like movies,the only way to get me interested in one would be if it is based on games I like.

Posted by Echo

Well, games based on movies seem to generally be better, so I'm leaning towards that. If someone randomly chose a movie based on a game, chances are it'll suck badly. But if someone randomly chose a game based on a movie, with the LotR, Star Wars, and Spiderman games out there, chances are pretty good you'll get not just a good game but a really great game. So you'll see a good movie game more often than you'll see a good game movie.

Posted by Drewboy64

Mortal Kombat movies 1 and 2 are both very cheesy and funny. Stop saying the first one is cool.

Posted by Fate

The first one, I think, was amazing. You quit flashing your opinion as fact.

Posted by Last Fog

I hardly watch movies, and every game I've played based off of a movie sucked, so I really can't choose.

Posted by holy_flare

I prefer game based movies. Honestly, I HATE movie based games. It's because when a game is based on a movie, usually the game will be just a bunch of short mini games that follow the story. Most movies that are used for games end up being movies like Shrek, Madagascar, and Ice age. Basically, movies that are for a younger generation and that are animated. With games being based on movies, you would get a whole better story for the movie. Games tend to have better stories than movies since games can take over 80 hours to beat so the developers get 80 hours to make a great story with great characters and things. But there are pros and cons to game based movies and movie based games.

MOVIE BASED GAMES
PROS
-lots of mini games
-you know what to expect in the game.
-if you loved the movie. Lots of times you also love the game.
CONS
-most MBG's have too many mini games.
-they tend to be shorter because games are rated from as low as 20 hours of gameplay to 80+. Movies are usually 1 1/2 to 2 hours long. Some are up to 4 hours long.
-games are pretty basic (animation, graphics, sound, etc.)

GAME BASED MOVIES
PROS
-better stories
-more complex characters
-(for games with battles) lots of special effects in movies.
-lots of animated movies because of characters and other creatures.
CONS
-less of the story will be in the movie because of the difference in hours in a movie and a game.
-special effect could be not as high tech depending on the game.
-lots of animated movies because of characters and other creatures.

So you see, there are pros and cons for both sides, but I'd still go with game based movies.

Posted by Burrito

I would go with movies based on games. Just because that I'm such video game fan that, even though game based movies suck, it can be really awesome to see my favorite games on the big screen.

Posted by Sapphire Rose

Quoting Drewboy64: Mortal Kombat movies 1 and 2 are both very cheesy and funny. Stop saying the first one is cool.

The first Mortal Combat movie was ***LY.

And I tend to like neither more than the other. It's about a 50/50 with me. There are some good of each, and then there is the crap no one wants to deal with..... for both.

Posted by Crazy K

I don't know. There has not been to many great games based off of a movie, or so I have heard. But I did take a lot of interest in Silent Hill and hopefully Hitman will do good as well. But otherwise I think video games to movies are better then movies to video games.

Posted by Drewboy64

why do people think the first mortal combat was good? Have they watched it since they got older than ten?

Posted by Big Boss

It's not hard to realize games based on movies are better than movies based on games when you group them all together. While the general rule is movie-based games will suck, enough are released so that one or two will stand out as enjoyable games. Game-based movies are still not as numerous, so enjoyable films like Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie, Silent Hill and Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children are so rare that it's impossible not to be expecting each new game-based movie entry to be a complete disappointment.

Why the unbalance?

Well, for one thing, videogames weren't as popular back in the NES days, so the film industry hasn't had enough time to grow from the mediocrity of today's game-based movies. While you could name game-based movies back in the 8/16-bit days like the stinker Super Mario Bros. with one hand, you could play your fair share of movie-based games from Total Recall and Robocop to Dick Tracy and Karate Kid. Yes, most of them sucked, but they were being released at a faster pace, and considering the quality of some of the movie-based games today, developers have come a long way.

Another thing to think about is the ease in translating a movie into a competent game compared to the complexity of doing the opposite. The favorite picks for movie-based games are action flicks, so if the developer was capable enough, they can make an enjoyable clone of a popular genre with the movie characters and plot used as nothing more than assets. Successful examples of these are games that date back all the way to the SNES with Batman Returns and its faithful imitation of the beat-em-up genre, to more recent examples like Spider-Man and Terminator 3: The Redemption. Then there are those very few movie-based games that actually manage to bring something truly innovative to the table, such as the objective-based gameplay in the FPS Goldeneye and the HUD-less, richly atmospheric, cinematic King Kong. I don't count games like KOTOR as movie-based games however, because they aren't meant to be games based directly on any of the particular movies, unlike Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith.

On the other hand, a movie based on a game has the bad luck of being picked up by a producer or director that has no understanding of the audience it should appeal to, nor the respect fans of the game deserve, so simply making an action movie based on a game that has action won't necessarily cut it. Mortal Kombat was a great game-based movie because it faithfully focused on the tournament-style plot of the game, something Street Fighter : The Movie missed by a long shot, as well as keeping the roles of the main characters intact (again, SF-miss) and delivering fun martial arts and a catchy soundtrack (SF miss, miss...). Silent Hill nailed the disturbing atmosphere of the creepy series to a T and a solid plot akin of what's expected of the series, while Advent Children dazzled its fans with stunning visuals, epic battles and a weird story befitting of any RPG the magnitude of FFVII.

Surely, big-name, soon-to-be movies like Halo, G[color=yellowgreen]o
d of War and Metal Gear Solid are hopefully bringing some hope for the current state of game-based movies as the creators and producers seem to be more involved in the projects... but it's still a long way from reaching the same level of decency some movie-based games have.[/color]

Posted by Axis

I'm going to have to go with Movie based games on this one. I can only think of one game that was made into a decent movie. That was Mortal Kombat. When I think of all the movies that were made into good games, I can think of a bunch. KOTOR I/II, Chronicles of Riddick, Battle for Middle Earth II, etc.