Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince discussion thread (DANGER OF SPOILERS)

Posted by Killer Jordo

Are you planning to get the sixth book?

Me, I'm going to get it, but after the mad rage for it dies off.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Ha, I was going to go tonight. To many people though. I'll just get a copy on Sunday.

Posted by MetalVox~55

I am holding it in my hands.

so no. i am not.

edit:

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

I was there, at midnight, eleven hours and twenty-three minutes ago.

I finished reading it about five minutes ago - having stopped for a few hours of sleep, of course. I was immensely satisfied with it - the only annoyance is, of course, that years of her work have gone into about six hours of my enjoyment - it seems a bit of a waste.

Nevertheless, I loved it - in my opinion, the best so far for just pure, unadulterated storytelling.

Posted by sabre

Just came back with it, I'm on page 150 of the UK version (which has a far better [url=http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/0747581088.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg]cover[/url]). Funnily enough, the staff arrangement (i.e. [SPOILER:]Snape for defence against the dark arts, and a new guy for potions) was exactly as I was predicting.

Enjoying it a lot, the new teacher is awesome, and there seems to be a darker feel to this one. Written very well, not disappointed at all - and I was glad to see that though JK said it was going to be shorter than the last, this one is only minimally so.

Actually, it's quite a bit smaller than the last - the lines are spaced further apart, making the book thicker, but not longer.

And we really should have a spoiler warning at the top of the thread. That way we don't have anybody screaming at us for letting slip about any deaths or love pairings, new teachers, Dark plots, or anything.

...all of which this book contains.

As a side note, Sabredog (and of course anyone else who may know) how awesome is the notion of Inferi? And why has their mention been neglected until now?

Posted by sabre

For the record, I myself am only partway through the book (12 pages away fromt he halfway point), so anything that can be considered a spoiler should have a really ambiguous comment saying something like "spoiler regarding new teacher:" as opposed to "spoiler regarding [teacher's name] who teaches [this subject]" and then [/b]66] tags around it. I don't want to read anything too soon, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. And, I'm editing the thread title right now.

Regarding inferi:
[color=#666666]They're an awesome concept, I can't wait to see how they'll turn out - and, I'm wondering whether I'll see any more of them later on in the book. It wouldn't surprise me if that's why Voldemort killed Amelia Bones and Emmeline Vance; as fuel for a very powerful inferi army. But, no confirmation please.

Expected deaths:
I want to hear absolutely NO "you're rights" or "you're wrongs," or even any hints at "you're rights" or "you're wrongs." I'm guessing Malfoy and Snape. And, vaguely related to Snape, I expect Dumbledore to teach DADA in book seven.

Inferi: interesting notions about the murders, I hadn't thought of that at all - although that's more likely to happen in book seven. I think somehow though that Inferi don't retain any power they had when they were alive. Wizard's inheritance is largely through bloodline, and since the undead don't have any blood...

Deaths: I'll say nothing about your assumptions on these, but they're extremely interesting. When you finish the book come back and we'll talk about them.

Posted by The Judge

Ahem: Snape is the Halfblood Prince and kills Dumbledor.

[SIZE=7]WARNING: THE PRECEEDING STATEMENT CONTAINED SPOILERS AND SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN READ IF YOU DIDN'T WANT TO KNOW THE ENDING.[/SIZE]

Posted by Iris

WTF JUDGE?!

Posted by The Judge

Oh shoot, sorry.

"/spoilers"

Hah, I was ridiculed for that quite a while ago, but I can't remember what for. I think it was a few months ago when I revealed the main twist in Batman Begins.

And I actually think this thread shouldn't be subscribed to by anyone who doesn't fancy getting a load of spoilers - the colour tags don't work for email notification.

Oh, and die, evil spoiler scum.

Posted by The Judge

At least I'm not just comng in and expressedly saying "lol harry potter sux lol."

No, this is much worse - no matter what the subject is, you're actually destroying someone's enjoyment of about six hours of their leisure time.

Posted by The Judge

Fair enough. Sorry for being such a cock. Regardless, if you truley enjoy the books, it won't be much sluff off your shoulders.

Delete the post then, you worm. There's much more emotion and involvement/immersion to be had when reading something for the first time than trying to spot the buildup to it while knowing the ending.

Posted by The Judge

But then our posts would be useless afterwards!

Posted by brownoystercult

That's why you say something in 'reason for deletion'.

Posted by sabre

Yeah, okay Judge, I don't know if you were serious, and I hope for the sake of your dignity that you weren't. If you were, then man, you're a total wanker, you know that? You just went into a thread and spoilt the ending for anyone who reads it, with no warning, no spoiler tags, no even attempt to conceal it except a stupid message several page downs AFTER you said it, and what's more there was no particular reasoning for you to blurt that out at all.

If you were joking, then I apologise. If not, then I maintain my general feelings of disgust regarding your spoiling the f*cking book for me, and you just lost a whole lot of respect through pure, unadultered immaturity. Nice job, man, nice job.

Posted by Iris

Blame 4chan for his post and my reply. :(

Posted by boomstick

Finally got a copy, we'll begin reading shortly after I log off here.

Posted by The Judge

Ok then, allow me to elaborate:

The message I said which was deleted was a rumor. I heard it off 4chan, though said rumor or "spoilers" were out a few days before the book was, so you can think of the validity in it.

Next, the "The preceding statement blah blah blah" was a copy of the Simpsons from Ichy and Scratchy.

If the ending I said was correct, then I apologize the folks who read it, which I think are Wings and Sabredog. Sorry, I thought it was funny at the time.

Posted by Sean Fury

Bah, everyone takes everything so seriously.

Though I would of supremely beaten your ***, Judge, if I read it and it was true. =)

I haven't got the book yet, but I plan on it, probably tommorow hopefully.

I'm thanking *** that no-one believes Judge, here. :)

Posted by sabre

Finished it. Heavy spoilers, don't read until you've totally finished or if you have no intention to.
Well the death and the identity of the HBP didn't surprise me at all, thanks a lot Judge you wang. Looks like I was expecting the exact opposite. The Inferi were pretty d*mn awesome in all. Slughorn was a great character, fun without being too stupid, and I hope he'll show up again in book seven - though it's unlikely, as it doesn't look like the next will be set at Hogwarts at all. When Slughorn was drunk and saying that Voldemort would destroy him, I expected him to be on the hitlist for this book, and I haven't crossed him off for a death in the next book. This one seemed to tie up less loose ends than any of its predecessors, and I'm eagerly anticipating the final one being the best so far. If you think back to The Philosopher's Stone, it's hard to believe that that's where this story started out; it's so different in tone and general feel to the end of this one.

I've got more thoughts, but I have to leave now, so I'll continue them later.

Posted by Klarth

Dear Judge:

Thank You For Ruining The Book For Me I Have Not Yet Acquired It.

Love Satan.

Posted by MetalVox~55

SPOILER

[spoiler]this book makes me not like Snape anymore.[/spoiler]

Posted by The Judge

Perhaps I have a warped view of things, because I personally never minded having the endings revealed to me about books or movies, because they are still enjoyable to read/watch (respectively). Just like RPG's; I like to know the end, regardless if I've played it or not.

Posted by Xenos

Perhaps? If it was perhaps, why do you think there were such things called spoiler tags?

Personally, that spoiler made me more interested, but note there are a lot of fans here that particularly don't want to see it.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Seriously, Judge. that was an *** thing to do of you.

Posted by The Judge

Yeah yeah yeah.

Posted by sniper

[quote]Seriously, Judge. that was a hilarious thing to do.

fix'd

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting 007 ninja: holy crap, i can't believe they kill off hagrid AND hermione.

:rolleyes: grow up

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting 007 ninja: random blabbering

Christ, kid. Can you be any more of an idiot? Honestly? I'm embarrassed for you! My ***...
Please do attempt to grow up some before you press on with your posting agenda here at VGC, 007 ninja. It'd be for your benefit.

-shakes his head in pity-

Posted by 007 ninja

Quoting MetalVox~55: Christ, kid. Can you be any more of an idiot? Honestly? I'm embarrassed for you! My ***...
Please do attempt to grow up some before you press on with your posting agenda here at VGC, 007 ninja. It'd be for your benefit.

-shakes his head in pity-

oh hey, i remember you. i voted you in as pokemon mod. sup?

Posted by MetalVox~55

I wonder when the last time I posted there was. Oh well.

Back on topic unrelated to spoilers:
What chapter are you on and what do you think so far?

Posted by Ch

I won't be picking up a copy of the book mainly because I have a strange hate for them. This hate started when my schools 5th grade recess was taken away and we were forced to listen to my imbecile of a teacher read Harry Potter in her droning voice instead of going outside.

Posted by loathing

I, for one, support any posting of that spoiler.

Quit taking children's books so seriously.

Posted by powerpuff

This book made me mad. how could he do that to him after what he did for him.

Posted by Caryatid

I'm not done with the book yet, but even if I DO read spoilers, I don't really care. It's fun to read the book anyway, and you're gonna find out what happens eventually.

...But I'm on chapter 15--The Unbreakable Vow. So far, I love it. It's a lot more engaging than the fifth book was...

Quoting powerpuff: This book made me mad. how could he do that to him after what he did for him.

I've a feeling all will be revealed in book seven. However, I have a theory, which contains spoilers for those who haven't read the entire book:

I believe Snape is not quite on the dark side as of yet. Perhaps Snape did not know Draco's full task, or was told the plan deliberately incorrectly by Voldemort (or more probably, Wormtail on Voldemort's instruction, as this would prevent Snape realising the truth through Legilimency, no matter how skilled an Occlumens the Dark Lord is), as he suspected Snape was still loyal to Dumbledore.
On making the Unbreakable Vow, Snape thought that he was agreeing to do something else, rather than killing Dumbledore, but once the Vow was sealed, so was his fate.
The terms of the enchantment forced Snape to murder Dumbledore, rather than of his own volition. As it seemed that Draco would not succeed, Snape was forced to commit the act. Realising that he could no longer stay with the Order under any circumstance, no matter what his excuse, he fled to join the Death Eaters, but still acts under Dumbledore's will, trying to bring him down from the inside.

...after typing all that out, and thinking it over once more, it seems to be clearly complete bunk. Snape could easily have concealed his allegiance to the Death Eaters from Dumbledore - as the headmaster said himself, he's not a particularly accomplished Legilimens. And Dumbledore, for all purposes, was an over-trusting elderly man, prone to mistakes - again, as he says himself...

Posted by powerpuff

Quoting Wings: I've a feeling all will be revealed in book seven. However, I have a theory, which contains spoilers for those who haven't read the entire book:

I wouldve died instead of doing that which he did, because thats what happens if you don't do as your told

Posted by Sneak

Omg. I think there should be a new rule against people who don't announce a spoiler. ****. Now the book is ruined.

Quoted post: Now the book is ruined.

No it isn't. Plus, the thread title says "Spoilers".

Unless you're not being serious.

Posted by sniper

Uh wtf. You don't want the book to be spoiled, so you go into a thread clearly marked with spoilers, without first reading the book?

Posted by Sneak

did they edit that? I didnt see it before. Seriously. I didnt. **** I ruined it for myself if that is the case.

Quoted post: did they edit that? I didnt see it before. Seriously. I didnt. **** I ruined it for myself if that is the case.

I don't believe it was originally there, but it was added quite some time ago.

Posted by Sneak

Well I posted this a while after I read it so....yea then thats why. Cause when I saw it It wasnt there. sorry for not posting this when I read it but I wasn't logged in. I was at a friends. It really ****ed me off to lol. but I relize that it is just harry potter and there better reasons to get upset than over some book.

Posted by sabre

Quoting sniper: Uh wtf. You don't want the book to be spoiled, so you go into a thread clearly marked with spoilers, without first reading the book?

Perhaps because you'd expecting people to have the shred of courtesy and decency required to cloak spoilers. People who are halfway through the book shouldn't have to feel excluded from discussing their thoughts so far.

Posted by maian

Somebody spoiled the end of the whole LOTR series for me claiming "he thought it was the end of TT, not ROTK" Bull :(

Anyhow, I still need to get the book. I'll get it when I get it, but I'm not really obsessed. It looks like a good continuation, and from what it sounds, it's way better then OOTP.

Hah, whenever I see the initials 'OOTP' I think Zelda... :D

Posted by Haley

I just had the oppurtunity to finish the book last night, and, I must say, I am quite please with it despite any...shall we say setbacks as I don't believe that shall spoil a thing. I believe that this was the most enjoyable, and very best of the Harry Potter books... J. K. Rowling seems to have outdone herself, both in her story telling manners, and in her wording. Quite a good novel. I have no theories or so forth to attribute. I'll just take the book for what it is, thanks.

Posted by Vampire Slayer

I just finished reading this book at about 4 this morning. I enjoyed it more then the other books but did it seem kind of slow. Nothing started really happing till the last 5 chapters or so. I couldn't believe the ending. Looks like people should listen to Harry when he has a theory.

Posted by Sneak

I finished the book to.....thank *** alot of the spoilers were fake.

Posted by Xenos

I don't think Snape is really evil. It might be a scam just to throw Voldemort off-guard.

Posted by Haley

You think he did what he did to throw V-Dog off? You surely jest!

Posted by Gollum

Oh man I was so glad he didn't continue being a huge brat like in Order of the Phoenix because Rowling went way overboard with that in the last book.

2nd best book in the series, behind the fourth, in my opinion.

Posted by tpisgrand

I like the book

Posted by The Judge

Nice input.

Posted by tpisgrand

lol

Hmm... something to add to my theory above:

Snape was cursed the moment he got the DADA post, as no-one can last more than a year. Hence something dramatic had to get him out of the school - such as fulfilling the Vow.

Posted by Caryatid

I just finished it. It was quite good.

Rah, I just got it. Finally, christ. Though I managed to get it 50%; can't complain.

Posted by Xenos

Quoting Haley: You think he did what he did to throw V-Dog off? You surely jest!

I don't care whether that was sarcasm or not, but I just don't think he's completely evil or not evil at all. Dumbledore knew what was coming, yet he still trusted Snape. Could be either way. I don't think anyone can really say for sure. JK Rolfing twists things a lot. the fact that Dumbledore was killed is evidence enough.

Yeah, but it just seems too obvious to be completely true. There has to be some twisted reason (although I suspect Snape isn't too deep a character - he probably just does whatever's profitable for him at the time).

Posted by MetalVox~55

I'm re-reading Goblet o Fire, and it's really cool. I missed that book :(

Posted by Shade

I think Snape killed Dumbledore because he didn't really have a choice at all. What with making the Unbreakable vow and all. If he didn't assist Draco in completing his mission, he himself would have been killed. Who's more important to Snape, himself, or Dumbledore?

Posted by Haley

And yet he isn't evil? I'm sure he wouldn't have made the vow and not been loyal to the cause anyway. You know he was loyal to V-Dog (nice rep for that), and prove it by taking the vow, really. In the end, the killing seemed almost to be a technicality, though I'm still not abandoning my post. He's evil, filthy, and trash...I've never liked him much from the beginning, not even when he first saved Harry. Hope he dies soon.

Posted by Caryatid

Quoting Haley: And yet he isn't evil? I'm sure he wouldn't have made the vow and not been loyal to the cause anyway. You know he was loyal to V-Dog (nice rep for that), and prove it by taking the vow, really. In the end, the killing seemed almost to be a technicality, though I'm still not abandoning my post. He's evil, filthy, and trash...I've never liked him much from the beginning, not even when he first saved Harry. Hope he dies soon.

He probably will--either that, or something terrible happens to him.

I don't really think there's too much to go into, regarding Snape--if he really WAS on Dumbledore's side, I doubt he would have made the Unbreakable Vow in the first place. He would've weasled out of it somehow. No, I think Harry is just going to end up avenging Dumbledore, and we all know what a big surprise THAT would be.

Posted by powerpuff

If snape had not killed dumbledore he would have died. and then dumbledore would have still died and that would have left both dead and there was probably something snape is supposed to help harry with.

Posted by Teddy's Lady

I haven't read the book yet as daughter is still reading it so not sure if what I'm about to think could be a SPOILER as I haven't read the book yet.

MAYBE A SPOILER:

The reason Dumbledore was killed in this book because the actor who played him in the movies died in real life. No one can play Dumbledore like him, as for the 7th & maybe last book she brings out (she's now thinking of bringing out a 8th book according to our breakfast chat show Sunrise, where she was interviewed today) I predict that Harry will get Hogwarts School from Dumbledore's will, even though he really doesn't want it but he will accept it cause of Dumbledore.

Posted by veritas

yea i started reading them but i stopped. Then just recently i started reading the 5th one. Im half way through. After im done reading it i'll buy the 6th one

Teddy - that's a load of rocky mountain oysters. The films are completely different entities from the books - do you think that something as simple as an actor dying would interfere with her telling the story she wanted to be told?

Posted by Skitzo Control

Although The Hammer hasn't read the book, nor does he plan on reading it, he must say that all those that spoiled the ending are dicks, and then those that said something to the affect of, "Don't get so upset of childrens' books," are absolutely retarded and are in the same area of people who say people who play video games are all nerds and don't have a life. Grow up you morons.

Quoted post: The reason Dumbledore was killed in this book because the actor who played him in the movies died in real life.

Didn't they introduce a new Dumbledore for the third movie though, after the first one died?

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting Vampiro: Didn't they introduce a new Dumbledore for the third movie though, after the first one died?

yes

Posted by The Judge

[Spoiler]Snape is the Halfblood Prince and kills Dumbledor in book 6.
Ignore me, I'm bored.[/Spoiler]

Hammer take that damn quote out of your sig, you hypocrite.

Posted by Teddy's Lady

Yes they did introduced a new one for the third movie, but he clashed with J.K.Rowling he wanted to change a few things & she didn't, then he wanted more money. As she said in her interview in sunrise she killed him cause of the original actor dieing & the replacement actor not working out. But believe what you want I'm not here to change anyone's thoughts I'm just stating what I have heard from J.K.Rowling in an interview in Australia.

That's pathetic if it's true. An author shouldn't work around a movie, it should be the other way around if anything.

Posted by TheresaL

As for the actor thing... I don't think that's why she killed Dumbledore,

The rest of my comment is a spoiler so listen up if you like...

[spoiler]I think it may have been to provoke Harry to find the horcruxes, also I am curious about who this R.A.B person is who took Slytherin's locket. R.A.B must play an important role at some point. It's evidently someone Voldemort knows as Hermione said in the book but who would have the nerve to mess with Voldemort (besides Harry and Dumbledore of course) ? Also I was just a tinge surprised that Harry hooked up with Ginny. I would think that would cause some kind of suspisition as far as how Ginny made the Qudditch team, I don't doubt Ginny's skills as a Chaser but it seemed odd that she and Harry weren't scoffed at for Harry's picking favorites for the team. Although McLaggen did get POed because Ron had 'beat' him and became Keeper instead. Hermione obviously Confunded McLaggen, she says it was because of his temper but as I read on it seemed like Ron liked Hermione and Hermione liked Ron although neither knew that the other liked them. So this leads me to wonder if they will hook up in the future. The Inferi were very interesting, I wasn't extremely impressed by the ones in the book but I can tell that they are very intimidating and therefore may cause more problems later on in the series. Another thing, Snape was the Half-blood Prince?!?! That shocked me to no end, I never even suspected that it had been Snape, I suspected James, Lily, Voldemort, and even Dumbledore but absolutely NOT Snape... Although it does make sense once you think about it but that was crazy! And even though I knew Dumbledore died I cried, it was storming last night as I was reading this part which really added to the ambience of the scene. The funeral was nice though, I didn't expect Umbridge to be there but it made a little sense I suppose...[/spoiler]

That turned out to be a little bit of a summary of some pieces but I REALLY loved this book, I love each Harry Potter book more than the last!!

Posted by MetalVox~55

[spoiler]RAB is obviously Sirius's brother, Reamus. He's mentioned in book 5 and 6.[/spoiler]

Posted by Saruman

I thought Reamus was Sirus.

Posted by Klarth

and I thought he was called Regulus?

Posted by sabre

She didn't kill Dumbledore because the actor died. For one thing, there's still another film to be produced (the fourth one is in post-production, all filmed) and the most of number six, and in number six he plays an integral part. So, it'd be two books too late if that were true. Secondly, she's had the entire plot planned out since one - all she does is write it up and add extra twists as she comes back to it. She's already written the last chapter a looong time ago.

Exactly.

Yes, Sirius' brother is Regulus Black, but he was a Death Eater and was killed. Whether he was killed because of destroying one of Voldemort's Horcruxes, we should find out later...

Posted by MetalVox~55

It's gotta be.
[spoiler]
As we've seen, Sirius's brother needed another person to get past the potion stuff as well as help against the Inferi in order to reach that horcrux. And the note that was left was a note of betrayal.[/spoiler]
Fit the pieces together.

Wait... working on a theory here. The Potters defied Voldemort three times, according to the prophecy. When were these times?

EDIT: Oh, and in an interview with MuggleNet.com:

"A few people won't particularly like it [HBP], and a lot of people aren't going to like the death very much, but that was always what was planned to come."

Posted by TheresaL

Ya know Metalvox, you could be right...

Posted by Azusa

I hadn't thought about it before. But yeah, Regulus Black makes a lot of sense.

You know, if some of you hadn't fully read the book and you still decieded to go into a thread made specifically for it, you'd have to be pretty thick if you didn't expect for someone to try to ruin it for you.

Hell, people were even flipping through the book at midnight when it came out, searching for spoilers to yell out.

http://hankspotter.ytmnd.com

MAJOR SPOILER AND YET SOMEHOW HILARIOUS

Posted by Aesthetic

I forget what three times they defied him; I have to go back and read the first five (even while reading the HBP, I had to refresh my memory by looking up a couple things from Book 5).

But about this book, I think that it was amazing. The ending, although horribly sad (both endings in books 5 and 6 made my eyes water), was very interesting and eventful, to say the least. By the way, in case some people haven't yet read Book 5 (or 6): [spoiler]I never believed that Sirius died in the first place, as they didn't explain the death very well - whether or not he's dead now, I don't know, but could he have fallen through some sort of "passageway" or odd portkey that led to a horcrux? Far-fetched, I know; I just don't want to admit that he really died. I thought that it wasn't proven, and I was going to say that, but maybe it was proven by the ability of Grimmauld's Place to be handed down to Harry (thinking in the same manner that when Dumbledore died, the spell cast on Harry was broken; so since Sirius died, that place's magic was broken too). Eh, I'm rambling, and you guys can probably explain the proof of Sirius' death for me (please do, anyway).[/spoiler]

Anyway, I did love the book and am very anxiously awaiting the seventh installment (is it true she was possibly going to make an eighth book? I could've sworn that she refused, saying that there would be seven and that's that). Like Wings said, though, it's a bit depressing to be waiting for so long, and to only get so many hours of enjoyment until the details become vague and you have to read it again.

Oh, and Derick ruined the ending for me, too. Somewhere in the Community Board, he posted the spoiler (in spoiler tags, but with nothing else in the post - it was empty, so I highlighted it, thinking it was nothing). Not only was it completely off-topic, but it made the ending much less surprising. I'll make sure to have money the day of the next book release, so that I have less of a chance to accidentally hear (or highlight) a spoiler.

Edit: And Wings, that link won't load all of the way for me. Is it just an article, or something else?

Posted by Vv_Alien_vV

Quoting MetalVox~55: [spoiler]RAB is obviously Sirius's brother, Reamus. He's mentioned in book 5 and 6.[/spoiler]

No Reamus is the WereWolf Lupin. Regulus is who your thinking of.

And Also,They defied Voldemort when he was a baby and at the end of book 4 Harry defied Him but im not sure about the third maybe it was in the 2nd or the 5th one

Posted by The Judge

Take it from me: don't quote spoilers.

Posted by Vv_Alien_vV

yea but they wont even understand that unless they have read the book. oh and I think the American cover is better because it makes the books seem darker.

Vv_Alien_vV, that doesn't work, because the prophecy only applies to before Harry was born - yes, okay, the third time could be when Voldemort enters ***ric's Hollow and Lily dies, but the other two have to be BEFORE then.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting Vv_Alien_vV: No Reamus is the WereWolf Lupin. Regulus is who your thinking of.

And Also,They defied Voldemort when he was a baby and at the end of book 4 Harry defied Him but im not sure about the third maybe it was in the 2nd or the 5th one

oh stfu, i didn't know his name. I knew it started with an R. eat me :p