What is inside a British computer?

Posted by The Joker

I was thinking, if Brit's videogames are different than ours, then are their computers as well? I don't think you can very well take a piece of hardware from a Yank PC and put it in a Brit PC, or could you? Please enlighten me if you are a Brit. PLZE K THNX.

Posted by Trigger

Hardware is hardware. Plenty of people order products from other countries and have them shipped merely because it might be cheaper than buying in their own country. Videogames are different because of pulic morals and game ratings that force some games to be different. Computers, however wouldn't make a difference at all; even I have hardware that didn't come from my country.

Posted by loony636

Its not different. British games are not different from the American games. I lived in England for 9 years, and if my dad bought me a game in America, it would world perfectly on my British coputer. The only place you have to be careful in is console games. They are different; as in the USA is NTSC and Britain is PAL. But with computer games, it doesn't matter what country you're in or where your games are from.

Posted by Trigger

[quote=loony636]Its not different. British games are not different from ours. Actually know a little about what you're talking about before you post stuff like that. I lived in England for 9 years, and I can tell you know there is no difference between British and Australian computers.
It's a pity that neither The Joker nor I were talking about Australia (who, if you recall stem from England itself). If anyone should know what they're talking about, it should be you - although this entire topic itself is pretty ridiculous.

Posted by loony636

Well I edited it.

Posted by The Joker

Quoting Trigger: It's a pity that neither The Joker nor I were talking about Australia (who, if you recall stem from England itself). If anyone should know what they're talking about, it should be you - although this entire topic itself is pretty ridiculous.

Well since Australia is a stem from England itself we can talk about Ausi computers too!

So, you guys are saying that the British are technologically impaired or something, and borrow off of Americans because they can't come up with their own computer standard? OR is it just easier to have the same standard. Hmm... I think I am beginning to understand. See, I always though the British used their PAL system for everything.

Posted by bazariah

inside most british computers is bacon rind which does all the jiggeldy piggeldy things on screen, peanut butter this does all calculations, mayonaise for awesome 3-d graphics, cheese which allows for basic control, we dont use keyboards in stead we have to write words using a pen, this is converted into computer text by the small hob-goblin inside

nah in all seriousness american pc's and english pcs are very much alike, and it's not a case of us borrowing technology from the states either as all computer hardware uses patents, which are universall, sometimes an english company will come up with a chipset design which could get used in all american pcs, or vice versa....

ooh and did you know that the first compute in the world was actually created in the uk :D

Posted by The Joker

Quoting bazariah: inside most british computers is bacon rind which does all the jiggeldy piggeldy things on screen, peanut butter this does all calculations, mayonaise for awesome 3-d graphics, cheese which allows for basic control, we dont use keyboards in stead we have to write words using a pen, this is converted into computer text by the small hob-goblin inside

YES I KNEW IT!

Anyhow I find this all very interesting. Thank you for enlightening me.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

Just to clarify - with console games, the only reason there is a different format is not because of the consoles themselves, but rather a television standard - the UK and Europe, along with Australia use the PAL standard, which uses a 50Hz signal, and the US uses NTSC which runs on a 60Hz signal. Japan is (I think) NTSC-J which is slightly different, and Brazil is, again, running on a different standard, about which it's best to ask Rayden (Big Boss). The reason for all this difference is voltage requirements.

With computers, as they don't use a mains-connected TV with a preset signal or voltage, the monitors can be pretty much capable of supporting anything - the voltage isn't regulated by the mains, but the transformer inside the PSU in the PC case. So all PCs are pretty much alike - or if not, can be made to be often with a simple software-based alteration.