What are you reading right now

Posted by Vampire Slayer

I'm reading Survival of the Fittest by Jonathan Kellerman. Its a pretty good book so far. So what book are you reading and what do you think about it so far?

NOTE FROM KLARTH: IT ISN'T CLEVER TO REPLY WITH "MY POST" OR "THIS THREAD". I'M SICK AND TIRED OF YOU WISEASSES.

Posted by Stranger

im reading alot of stuff Florida Driver's Handbook,Dreamweaver MX Bible,Flash 4 Bible, and PenDrangon 2&3

Posted by MetalVox~55

In two days, it'll be the harry potter book.

Posted by TheresaL

i'm reading what every one is or should be reading...

HARRY POTTER!!!!!!!!

Posted by Echo

War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells, and Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. I'm reading Wuthering Heights because I have to for summer reading, not because I want to. But I'm starting to read a lot of Wells in my spare time. Finished The Time Machine, and I have The Invisible Man and The Island of Dr. Moreau for when I'm done with War of the Worlds.

Posted by billards

With out Remorse by Tom Clancy. Good read, pretty technicle but very very well written.

Posted by MGamer

I'm reading Flight 116 is Down by Caroline B. Cooney.

Posted by Master Chief 12

[Font=Tahoma][Size=2][Color=Orange]I am reading The Andromeda Strain by Michael Crichton. Very good, although Crichton tends to go on about scientific crap I don't understand(and neither should anyone else.)[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Posted by neonmole

[COLOR=DarkOrange]Donkey On The Doorstep By Lucy Daniels[/COLOR]

Posted by James

I'm reading this thread.

No, really, I'm reading the Everworld series.

Posted by EnTiTyHaCkEr

Im currently in the middle of "Walden, or life in the Woods" by Henry David Thoreau.

He likes to use many technical wordings and phrases to make himself sound a whole lot smarter. In truth he was nothing but a redneck, IMO, who set 200 acres of forest on fire for no apparent reason.

Im not reading this on my own accord, its summer reading for the new schooling style that Im attending this upcoming year. The Walden Project, or as its better known up here, Hippie School. Practically they send you out into the woods and teach you the same things as you would in a regular public academy, but with a more relaxed and less structured atmosphere.

I have a feeling its going to make me a bit less of a "techy" that I already am, but what do I care, I GET TO GO CAMPING ALL THE TIME FOR FREE NOW!

Posted by Acheron

One Day In The Life Of Ivan Denisovitch.

Posted by Teddy's Lady

I'm reading two books at the moment (apart from my text books lol) they are
R is for Ricochet: A kinsey Millhone Mystery by Sue Grafton, the other book I'm reading is a true crime book called Green River Running Red by Ann Rule.

Posted by MetalVox~55

I'm reading "Wheres Waldo?"

I can't find him :(

Posted by Illyria110

im reading "by the light of the moon" by dean koontz, it's kinda boring :(

Posted by Boner

What am I reading right now? Ummmm.....this thread?

Posted by Ch

The Massachusetts Driving Manual. :(

Posted by Black_Wolf

The Golden Compass: Philip Pullman. It was recommened by alot of fellow vgchatters, so I picked it up. Really enjoyable, full of original ideas and great imagination. And man do I want my own Daemon. Book is great, can't wait til the next 2.

Posted by Master Chief 12

[Font=Tahoma][Size=2][Color=Orange]I just finished Amazonia by James Rollins, now I've started on its sequel, Subterranean. Both are good books, in the Thriller genre. I passed them in Barnes and Noble and read the back of them, they seemed good so I took them, and I was surprised how good they were.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Posted by Shanuti Aborina

[COLOR=LightBlue][FONT=Papyrus]Redemption of Athalus by David and Leigh Eddings. Very good. The relationship between the 2 main characters is very believable... To a point. The actual main story is somewhat cliche'd with a touch of originality thrown in. Very enjoyable. Rather long though >_>.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Posted by Klarth

change your font.

The Silmarillion, by Tolkien.

[COLOR=LightBlue][FONT=Papyrus]...Why?

Also just finished reading 'Homecoming- Part one', Star Trek Fiction Novel.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Posted by Darksong X

Angels and Demons, after reading the Da Vinci Code a almost a year ago.

Posted by Klarth

Angels And Demons is fantastic. In fact, I preferred it to the Da Vinci Code, just because.

Arthur C Clarke - The Hammer of G'od

Posted by MetalVox~55

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.

I wonder who dies?

Posted by The Judge

Dumbledor, because Snape killed him.

I WAS reading I, Strahd: The War Against Azalin, but I'm done now. It was a very good book. Soon I think I'll be reading the Elminster Series.

If it counts, then my most recent book was "BLAME!" #1, but that was mostly pictures.

Posted by Vampire Slayer

Something Wicked This Way Comes. What was he on when he wrote this book?

Pawn of Prophecy. Book one of the Belgaraid, another David Eddings Saga.

Posted by maian

Eldest, sequel to Eragon; Christopher Paolini.

Read it.

Posted by Caryatid

Quoting Vampire Slayer: Something Wicked This Way Comes. What was he on when he wrote this book?

That book is evidence of his true genius. Bradbury is one of my favorite authors.

Wicked, by Gregory Maguire. I'm rereading it, actually, since I left off at a place near the end so long ago, so I just decided to start over. It's such a good book...

Posted by sion

Im reading Battle Royale, I have to say its a must read book.

Posted by Richaod

Middlesex, by Jeffrey Euginedes. One of the weirdest books I've ever read, mostly because the main character is a hermaphrodite, raised as a girl but later develops as a man, and his/her grandparents and parents were incestuous.

Very interesting (it won the Pulitzer Prize in 2003), but weird.

Posted by Klarth

I'm re-reading "Now Wait For Last Year" by Philip K. Dick. One of my favourites.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: Eldest, sequel to Eragon; Christopher Paolini.

That. I read the first, so, I can't just stop now. It better be worth my time...

Posted by MetalVox~55

I'm still on Order of the Phoenix, but im on the last leg of it

Posted by mis0

Vox)

DUMBLEDORE DIES!!1111

I'm reading The Chosen, by Chaim Potok. I should be futher than half way through it by now, but I've only read through book one. **** me. :(

Posted by Richaod

The Colour Of Magic by Terry Pratchett. It's the first book in the extremely long/weird/popular Discworld series. You don't usually get satirical elements in fantasy books, but they seem to work here.

Posted by VirtualRealityZone

Nothing right now...~ Hides "Green Eggs and Ham"~ :D:D:D

Posted by Vampire Slayer

I just finished Survivor by Chuck Palahniuk. I'm going back to Something Wicked This Way Comes.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

Foundation, by Isaac Asimov. A friend recommended it, and it seems to be interesting so far.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting Misoxeny: Vox)

no ****. i've read Half Blood already. i'm rereading them :p

Posted by Richaod

Geomancer by Ian Irvine; fairly interesting Australian fantasy.

Posted by The Punisher

Im reading the post above me, well now im reading what im typing. But book wise im reading The Birds. One of my favorite books, its kinda lame and not up to the reading standard I should be at, but its still a good book.

Posted by inequity

The Last Universe by William Sleator. Almost done.

Posted by verystrait42

cold hit by linda fairstein

Posted by Richaod

New Spring by Robert Jordan. I haven't read the proper Wheel of Time series yet. It seems... decent but tedious. 10 books? Seriously.

I've read up to the ninth book in the Wheel of Time series, and they're all enjoyable. He's VERY detailed, which I'm sure a lot of people find generally annoying, but I certainly don't mind. He's an excellent author. I haven't read the tenth book yet, but I haven't heard a whole many good things about it. Anyhow, I suggest that you at least try The Eye of the World.

Posted by Spin

Dragonlinks by Paul Collins - Part of the Jelindel Chronicles (I think?). It's a fairly average book about older times, with people finding an enchanted chainmail which fell from the skies in a battle between the ***s. Apparently when it's put together, it has the magical power of 1000 dead warriors. It's an OK read if you can really get into the book.

Posted by MottaTheHutt

I'm reading The Stand, by Steven King. About half way done. It's a big book, probably with a bigger late fee by now. :(

Posted by Water Adept Mia

I'm reading "Black House" by Stephen King and... I forget the other guy's name. It's a carry on from their first book together called "The Talisman". Both are very good. If they make another book based on Jack Sawyer, it better no take 15 years like it did for them to continue "The Talisman".

Eitherway, I recomend both books, but read "The Talisman" first. If you don't then "Black House" won't make very much sense.

Posted by Lord of Spam

...This thread.Sorry, I couln't resist.

Srsly tho, I'm reading too many books to count. In the last month I've read Mencius, The Odyssey, Exodus (omg bible), and soon I start Antigony. Text bookwise, I'm reading Robert Redman's The Dance of Legislation, and a sociology book.

College leaves little time for fun.:(

Edit: Okay, so maybe its only 6. But hey, you get the idea.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

Quoting Shanuti Aborina][COLOR=LightBlue][FONT=Papyrus]Redemption of Athalus by David and Leigh Eddings. Very good. The relationship between the 2 main characters is very believable... To a point. The actual main story is somewhat cliche'd with a touch of originality thrown in. Very enjoyable. Rather long though >: [/COLOR]

I started to read that book. I might finish it knowing someone else had started it. It has some badass art on the cover

Posted by Richaod

Life of Pi by Yann Martel. Fictional retelling of a supposedly true story of some guy who survived 277 days on a lifeboat in the presence of an adult Bengal tiger. Interesting - overrated, but interesting.

Posted by Caryatid

Slaughter-House-Five, by Kurt Vonnegut. One of my favorite authors. I love all of his books.

Posted by veritas

Artemis Fowl. The first on. By Eoin Colfer. Almost halfway through. been reading it for a couple of days

Posted by mis0

Bump?

Three books:

1984 - George Orwell (req. reading, 3rd time I'll have "read" the book.)

State of War: The Secret History of the CIA and the Bush Administration - James Risen (for final research paper in May.)

Spychips: How Major Corporations and Government Plan to Track Your Every Move with RFID - Katherine Albrecht & Liz Mcintyre (for final research paper in May.)

Huzzah!

Posted by GameMiestro

Julius Caesar- An above average Shakespearian novel, but the plot is still annoying.

The Message- A "modern" version of The Bible. Not much more to say.

Posted by Klarth

Neal Stephenson - Cryptonomicon

really, really good techno-WW2 novel.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Opeth: What am I reading right now? Ummmm.....this thread?

I should have known someone would hjave gotten to that before I had a chance.

Seriously, though, I'm going to go over the Communist Manifesto and A Breif History of Time soon. I've already read both, but I'm going to reread them before school starts, since they are both assigned reading this term.

Posted by Echo

I'm nearly done with The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis, and I'll soon start on the next book in the series. I've already read The Magician's Nephew (reading them in the new order). I'm also "reading" (skimming, with Cliff's Notes to supplement) Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky, which I really dislike right now. I'm not too big of a fan of anything not science fiction/horror/fantasy, and I personally dislike the way Dostoyevsky writes. Oh, and I'm reading Mein Kampf by Adolf Hitler. Not too far into it, though, but it's fairly interesting. I have yet to get into the really good stuff, though. And, as always, I dip into The Salmon of Doubt, a collection of works by Douglas Adams.

Posted by Moogs

I'm reading Frankenstein by Mary Shelley... We have to for literature in my school... it's a pretty good book.

Posted by GameMiestro

[quote=Echo]Oh, and I'm reading Mein Kampf by Adolf Hitler.

wow

House of M series again.

I read part of it out of order the first time.

Posted by fig roll

the light fantastic by terry pratshet.

Posted by Chronic

The anarchist cookbook

Posted by mis0

EDGY!

Posted by Wicked Sushi

Quoting Chronic: The anarchist cookbook

It's a pretty sweet book. Too bad almost 95% of it's content is bullshit.

Posted by Delancey

I'm currently taking a small, weekend break from The Republic by Plato. I'll be back to reading it instead of actually doing my work in Biology on monday. :)

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

I'm reading Talk To The Hand by Lynne Truss. The best thing is that she seems to echo my views almost perfectly in both this and in Eats, Shoots and Leaves.

After that I'm going to try and pick up A Feast For Crows again. My attention kinda dwindled, as I had Richard Pryor's autobiography sitting by my desk, as well as Alex Garland's The Tesseract (a wonderful little book).

The Dirk Gently Omnibus by Douglas Adams.

I've already read the two books before, but, I felt like reading it back-to-back this time.

Posted by Dragner

I.m re reagin PenDragon: The Never War .

Posted by GameMiestro

Of Mice and Men, by John Steinbeck.

Good book.

Posted by SuperSoupy

Of mice and men's brilliant.

Currently reading 2001: A Space Oddysey by Arthur C. Clarke and Needful Things by Stephen King

Posted by Dexter

Talk To You Later by Lauren Myracle. I'm starting it tonight and will probably be halfway through it by the end of the weekend. I'm looking forward to it. It is the first novel written entirely in IM. It should be filled with emotional drama between three fifteen-year-old girls. I'll try to give my thoughts on it when I'm finished.

[IMG]http://www.teenreads.com/art/covers/140w/0810948214.jpg[/IMG]

Posted by r.o.f

HAHaha anythign by david pickly

Posted by Klarth

Quoting SuperSoupy: Of mice and men's brilliant.

Currently reading 2001: A Space Oddysey by Arthur C. Clarke and Needful Things by Stephen King

Space Odyssey series is brilliant. Read it through to 3001 if you haven't already.

Posted by SuperSoupy

which book comes after 2001 space oddysey? and how many books in the series are there?

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Chronic: The anarchist cookbook

Sandpaper in a floppy disk/lightbulb bomb are my favourites. I think I have a link to an internet version of it... somewhere...

Currently reading The Last Continent by Terry Pratchett. I love the whole Australian parody theme, but the book meanders a lot. And it's not nearly as random as most Rincewind-related books.

Hah, that's true. It's around then that Pratchett starts to write with purpose, instead of just spilling his thoughts out onto the page however they fall. He's got much better since then.

Posted by Kamek

The Scarlett Letter :(. Horrible American literature:(.

Posted by Azusa

I've just recently finished with Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson, Siddhartha by Herman Hesse, and Why I Am Not A Christian by Bertrand Russell.
The only books I'm currently reading are of the comic book variety.

[quote=Wicked Sushi]It's a pretty sweet book. Too bad almost 95% of it's content is bulls[COLOR=white]h[/COLOR]it.
How could you even hope to know anything about the Anarchists Cookbook, my squirrelly little Rafi? ;)

Posted by Yonaka

Well, in English we just finished To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. Great book. Next is Romeo and Juliet. But on my own, I'm reading Inkheart by Cornelia Funke. I finally got around to returning Phantom of the Opera to the library. (It was the original by Gaston Leroux. He did first, he did it best.) Now I want to read it again... Yeah anyway. The Inkheart trilogy should be good, seeing as Inkheart is my absolute favorite book. But the last one isn't out yet. So, yeah. I have all of her books. The Theif Lord, Inkheart, Dragon Rider, and Inkspell. All great books. The top two being Inkeart and The Theif Lord. Man I could go on and on all day but that would annoy you, and I just don't feel like doing that right now, so I'll cut off here.

Cheers!

Posted by Raptor

The Magic of Shapeshifting by Rosalyn Greene.

It would make such a great moonlight read.

Posted by sniper

Snow Crash, by Neal Stephenson. Reccomended by 4chan, and has not disappointed.

Posted by Stalolin

Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut.

absolutely hilarious.

Also reading One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey, though I picked up Breakfast of Champions and started reading it because I found it more interesting.

Posted by Xero

I'm reading "Emerald's knight" Volume 8. There are suppose to be 12. Pretty good books :D

Posted by Xqars

Eldest, by Christopher Paolini. I'm not that far into it, and it's been pretty slow. But I expect it'll become more addicting like Eragon had been.

Posted by Red

I'm readin the whole "Darren Shan" series, it's real good and I'd highly recomend it, although for some people it may seem farfetch, and they may not like it, but that's your own decision

Posted by Killer Jordo

The Outsiders

Good book. Recommended for a quick read.

Posted by Xenos

I just checked out a book called, "All the King's Men." I haven't had the chance to actually sit down and read it for long, though I've heard a lot of good reviews for it.

Posted by Colonel

Quoting Mr.Red: I'm readin the whole "Darren Shan" series.

lol me too, but i took a break and just finished reading Wolverine SNIKT collection. Now those are some great comics, there short but there great.

Posted by Klarth

Darren Shan writes books for confused pre-pubescent goth boys. Next?

Posted by Moogs

House by Ted Dekker and Frank Peretti

A really good mystery/horror book.

3 Rules:

1. *** came into my house and I Killed Him.
2. I will kill anyone who comes into my house like I Killed ***
3. Give me one dead body and I might let rule 2 slide.

You Have until Dawn

Posted by Zeta

Just went to the library and got Bram Stoker's Dracula and Mark Twain's A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court.

Posted by Dog

i can't read.

Posted by Yonaka

I feel so sorry for you. I couldn't survive without books. Here, I'll tell you what, come t my house and I'll teach you how to read. Can you write?

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Stalolin: Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut.

absolutely hilarious.

Also reading One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey, though I picked up Breakfast of Champions and started reading it because I found it more interesting.

That reminds me that I wanted to slog my way through the rest of Vonnegut's works. I read like 5 or 6 of them and got distracted, and that was over a year ago.

The most recent non-school related works I've read were volumes 7,8, and 9 of the Sandman series by Neil Gaiman, published on Vertigo. Its an awesome series, and if it were not for my unemployment, I'd have collected all 10 volumes by now, even at the $20 price tag. Definately recommend it to anyone who likes more serious comics (Sin City, The Watchmen, etc).

I'm currently re-reading The Fifth Elephant, by Terry Pratchett, and Are You Dave Gorman?, by Dave Gorman and Danny Wallace. At the same time.

Posted by Dog

Quoting Blaise: I feel so sorry for you. I couldn't survive without books. Here, I'll tell you what, come t my house and I'll teach you how to read. Can you write?
no.

Man, the funny has been missed so hard it's not even funny.

Posted by Yonaka

Well, all the more reason to visit me. Anyway. If you want a good read get 'A Swiftly Tilting Planet' by Madeline L'Engle. It's awesome. I love it. this is like my fourth time reading it. It's a science fiction novel about a boy named Charles Wallace who needs to defeat a mad dictator who has threatened to blow up the Earth by going through time and changing 'Might-Have-Been's' for the better. I love it. What I find very interesting is that one possibility of us blowing up is that it would throw the solar system out of wack and the sun could go super nova.

It's funny to think that so small a thing as our planet could affect the whole universe in a chain reaction. Yet it does. Wrap your mind around that one.

Posted by Dog

Quoting Wings: Man, the funny has been missed so hard it's not even funny.
sadly, i cant read what this says either.

Is she the one who wrote 'A Wrinkle In Time'?

Posted by muffla

i just inished the da vinchi code. a couple new books in 2 diffrent series that i have like fore a wile are the keys to the kingdom and the gatekeepers they are both rather easy series but deffinityly a good read if you like action/adventure/fantisy

(gate keepers is made by anthoney horowitz and the keys to the kingdom is by gath nix)

Posted by Yonaka

Yes, in fact it's the third in that series. It's the best one in my opinion. Although 'Many Waters' comes close. But no, this is the best book ever! But to understand it you gotta read the series from the beggining. So first is 'A Wrinkle in Time' next comes 'A Wind in the Door' and then this one. Like I said it's pretty good. I'm almost done with it. Poor Chuck. If you read the book you'll know who Chuck is.

With Gaudior in this fateful hour
I call on all Heaven with its power,
The sun with its brightness,
The snow with its whiteness,
The fire with all the strenght it hath,
The lightning with its rapid wrath,
The winds with their swiftness along their path,
The sea with its deepness,
The rocks with their steepness,
The Earth with its starkness,
All these I place, with ***'s almighty help and grace,
Between my self and the powers of darkness.

It's a rune from the book. It's called Patrick's Rune, and comes in mighty handy durring the book. Read it.

I enjoyed it when I read it, but it was quite a while ago. I'll have to find a copy and start it again.

Posted by Dog

my nintendo power.

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Wings: I'm currently re-reading The Fifth Elephant, by Terry Pratchett, and Are You Dave Gorman?, by Dave Gorman and Danny Wallace. At the same time.

Are You Dave Gorman ****ing ROCKED. Shame he kind of lost it in his Googlewhacking one. :( Danny's "start your own country" (or whatever it's called) TV show is brilliant though.

Picked up Neal Stephenson's Cryptonomicon again today; never finished it.

I dunno. I preferred the Googlewhack Adventure. Possibly because it was only written by one guy, and it was a lot more fun - I don't like to feel sad if I'm reading comedy, which AYDG purports to be.

Posted by Kestryl

Presently, I'm reading Avalon High, by Meg Cabot. Yes, the Princess Diaries lady. And it's a lot like Princess Diaries.
Except the main girl isn't a princess. And her parents are professors. And she think King Arthur's legend lives on...

Congo ~ Michael Crichton

*** I <3 this man

Posted by Yonaka

I'm reading 'Salamandastron' by Brian Jauques. However you spell his last name... Anyway. It's a good book in the Redwall series. So far I've read from the begining til now, and they're all pretty good. I really like the Redwall series, and I shall name it Colonel Clary, after the rabbit in 'Mariel of Redwall'. Brave soul 'e was.

Posted by Azure Wolf

"Anthem"
I like Ayn Rand's work.

Posted by GameMiestro

To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee.

Posted by Colonel

Nintendo Heros "The Novel" By Tracey West

Posted by Yonaka

I read 'Anthem' I thought it was pretty good. I also read 'To Kill a Mockingbird' twice. Once before we had to, then when we did have to. I actually helped someone win a bet. Before we started reading it, my class made a bet to see if I read it before or not. One of my friends won. Kinda funny. We just got done reading 'Romeo and Juliet' in class. I find them all to be panzies, who cry too much. Pathetic. And Shakespear is obsessed with names that end with 'O' and suicide.

Posted by Azure Wolf

Quoting Blaise: I read 'Anthem' I thought it was pretty good. I also read 'To Kill a Mockingbird' twice. Once before we had to, then when we did have to. I actually helped someone win a bet. Before we started reading it, my class made a bet to see if I read it before or not. One of my friends won. Kinda funny. We just got done reading 'Romeo and Juliet' in class. I find them all to be panzies, who cry too much. Pathetic. And Shakespear is obsessed with names that end with 'O' and suicide.

Seriously, like, everyone is killed or kills themselves in Julius Caesar...

Posted by Yonaka

And Hamlet. In 'Othello' Othello kills himself. It's like whoa! But I think in those days suicide was considered romantic. But now, it's just stupid.

"Last Chance to See" by Douglas Adams.

Posted by Echo

Quoting Blaise: In 'Othello' Othello kills himself.

And his wife. I dislike Shakespeare....

Currently reading "Prince Caspian" by C.S. Lewis, and various stories by H.P. Lovecraft. And I'll probably buy "2010: Oddyssey Two" by Arthur C. Clarke soon.

Posted by Yonaka

Douglas Adams is pretty good. I like his 'Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy' Series. I read the first two, and most of the third. I heard there's five books in the series. But my dad said he didn't like it. I hated the movie they made for it. It was sooo stupid. Geez, that director was bad, and what was Douglas Adams thinking aproving that?!

Douglas Adams is dead, and only wrote half of the script for the film. And I originally hated it, but on second watch, I quite liked it.

The final two books aren't as good as the other four - and Mostly Harmless is mostly awful. It's nice to round off the series, but it starts feeling drawn out.

Posted by Yonaka

Yeah, I'm still gonna read them though. Whenever I start a series, I make sure to finish it at some point or another.

Oh, they're worth reading. They just aren't as good as the first three.

I thought they were all pretty good. My only complaint would be that the final book seemed to end a little too quickly. Though, that seems to be the way most DA books are finished - resolved within the last ten or so pages.

Either way, HH is probably one of my favourite series so I'd definitely recommend finishing it. Not quite sure why your dad didn't enjoy them, as I don't exactly know anyone who hasn't. Though I do agree the movie was pretty terrible.

Posted by Yonaka

Oh, he likes the first four. I know he hated the fifth. But I'm not sure he knew there was a sixth. I didn't even know there was a sixth until you guys mentioned it. What are the last two called?

Hah, I'm an idiot. I meant to say 'the other three' in post 120. The five books are:

The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy
The Restaurant At The End Of The Universe
Life, The Universe And Everything
So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish
Mostly Harmless

There's a short story called Young Zaphod Plays It Safe, but it's not really counted as part of the series' canon.

Posted by Yonaka

Ah, I see. Well, then. I'm going to read the others. But I'm too preoccupied right now. I might later though.

Posted by Alastor

I'm reading Halo: The Flood. I'm such a nerd. :o

I found all three of the current books at a Sam Goody near my grandma's, so I picked them up. I read The Fall of Reach already, and really enjoyed it. Gives a good backstory, I thought. The Flood is based on Halo 1, so I'm predicting alot of it, but it's got some sidestory in there with the minor characters to keep things interesting. I'm about 1/4 through it, since I only read it for a few minutes every other day.

When I finish it, I'll go right into reading First Strike, then probably wait for the graphic novel to come out.

[/nerdgasm]

Posted by Sapphire Rose

I just got done with The Cleric Quintet.... again. I need new books. I have been missing out. Any good fantasy books recently out that you guys suggest? I'm also down for a really good sci-fi book. :)

Posted by Echo

Just bought 2010 and Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke, and I'm borrowing 1984 by George Orwell.

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Wings]There's a short story called Young Zaphod Plays It Safe, but it's not really counted as part of the series' canon.
I vaguely remember that. It involved a submarine, or so I recall.

Started Jurassic Park, by Michael Crichton. Never got around to reading it previously.

Posted by Yonaka

My friend read that book. She said it was pretty good. I might read it sometime soon. Hard to say.

Posted by higbvuyb

Just finished Look to Windward by Iain M. Banks. It's so awesome, all of you should read it, even you, Klarth.

Posted by GameMiestro

A Seperate Peace, by John Knowles. A good book, even though all of the main characters (except Finny) sound like psychopaths.

Posted by Kiyoshi

As for me, I'm reading 'The Naming' by Alison Croggon. It's pretty good so far. It's one of my friends books. I love it! You should all read it.

Posted by Colonel

I'm currently reading "The DaVinci Code" all thought im Roman Catholic i fing the book interusting.

Posted by Kiyoshi

My friend read that, and she's catholic too. Now I'm going with her to see it next week. It's gonna be so awesome!

The Lost World ~ Michael Crichton.

Posted by giminius

A game guide for Pokemon Ruby. (just kidding)

Milton's Paradise Lost.

Posted by Klarth

Paradise Lost is a great choice. Go read Blake's Marriage of Heaven And Hell next.

I ordered Angels and Demons and the World According to Clarkson yesterday - they should arrive tomorrow. Good old summer reading, eh.

Posted by Klarth

Spoilers: They go to Switzerland

CHEERS FOR TELLING ME THAT, I HAVE EMAIL NOTIFICATION AND SAW YOUR FIRST POST.

...you git.

Posted by Klarth

He dies at the beginning of the book :cool: It's really about as much of a spoiler as "they go to Switzerland". Serious.

Yeah, but honestly. It's like me saying IN THE MATRIX, THE GUY IS ACTUALLY THE ONE. You know it, but you still want to see for yourself.

Posted by Klarth

Yeah, but you only find that out right at the very end.

More spoilers: There aren't actually any angels or demons in the book. =o

Posted by Colonel

Quoting giminius: A game guide for Pokemon Ruby. (just kidding)

I don't thing you were.

Posted by Drewboy64

Da Vinci Code. Probably the first book I've enjoyed for a while. Oh wait, there is harry potter.

Posted by Philsdad

Quoting Klarth: Paradise Lost is a great choice. Go read Blake's Marriage of Heaven And Hell next.

"If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite."

Blake is great. A Poison Tree was always one of my favorites.

Anyway, I just started reading Hemingway's "The Sun Also Rises" this afternoon.

Posted by ostaf

I am reading any and all books by Raymond E. Feist. I love them all. I am curently on King of Foxes.

I could never get into Feist. I got as far as A Darkness At Sethanon and just got supremely bored with the whole thing. It never seemed to go anywhere.

I just finished reading Marsha Mellow And Me, would you believe. I saw it in a bookshop, and thought I'd go for some chick lit for a change. It wasn't half bad, but it never went anywhere. There are some decent laughs in it, but it really did seem to just be riding the Bridget Jones wave.

Posted by MGamer

I'm reading Redwall by Brian Jaques. Its my first in the Redwall series and It is one of the best books i've ever read. I'm about halfway through it now. It pulls on all of my emotions. I laughed when Basil was hopping around the rat guards. And I was sad when Shadow died. Its a truly marvelous work of literature and I recommend it to all.

Posted by Forbidden Toast

I'm finally getting around to reading Wicked and then I'm reading a Hitchhickers Guide to the Galaxy... followed by Eragon, maybe. Then I'm thinking of reading Sense and Sensibility.

Yes, I like classical literature, leave me alone! ;-;

The thing that kills me about reading Wicked is I know when I'm done, NONE of my friends would see the musical with me, that I'm aware of... not to mention tickets for the musical are sold out for this August now. I almost got one but none of my friends wanted to go with me at the time, so...

Posted by Apathetic

Nemesis by Paul B. Thompson. I really enjoy the whole MTG series so well, I guess Im going through it all again.

Posted by NightmareBassX

Reading Angels and Demons. My mom suggested it to me since I enjoyed the Da Vinci code. I was reading it near the end of the school year, but stopped around page 120. I'm going to start reading it again soon though, maybe right now. ;)

Posted by higbvuyb

Quoting NightmareBassX: Reading Angels and Demons. My mom suggested it to me since I enjoyed the Da Vinci code. I was reading it near the end of the school year, but stopped around page 120. I'm going to start reading it again soon though, maybe right now. ;)

As long as you ignore the gigantic pile of stupidity that is the 'Fact' page, and take everything stated as fact as fiction, with a large dose of [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspension_of_disbelief"]suspension of disbelief.[/URL].

I'm reading 'Rise of Endymion' by Dan Simmons. Part of the Hyperion series.

Posted by Klarth

[quote=higbvuyb]I'm reading 'Rise of Endymion' by Dan Simmons. Part of the Hyperion series.
My roommate's been recommending that series to me for a long time. Supposedly it's some kind of gnostic Evil Pope-themed scifi. Any good?

Posted by Bebop

Currently reading 'The Alphabetm of Manliness'

I've been debating whether to get that or not. It is any good?

Michael Chrichton's "Prey". About two-hundred pages in.

I've put off reading his work for years, finally saw a whole collection of his books for a grand total of five dollars and figured I'd give it a shot. So far so good.

Quoting Vampiro: a whole collection of his books for a grand total of five dollars

A complete collection? That's a freakin' good deal right there.

I recommend Timeline and Rising Sun - the latter of which is quite a hard read, but stick with it. Prey is also excellent, but I felt like it was too similar to his earlier works.

Sphere is also brilliant. Jurassic Park goes without saying.

Yeah, I volunteered at a used booksale couple Fridays ago, and while looking for some Sci-Fi books for someone, I came across a ton of his stuff. The guy gave me a deal for helping out.

Though it's good that you mentioned Rising Sun, as that was the next book I was going to read.

Once you're done with the Andromeda Strain, you need to mail it to me. I think it's the only one I haven't read/got.

EDIT: Just found a bibliography on the net, and it seems there's a few more I haven't. Library for me soon, I think.

It's also reminded me of State of Fear, which I really liked. He claims everything in it is fact, and I'm more inclined to believe him due to the massive amounts of research and references he includes, as opposed to someone like, say, Dan Brown.

Surprising, since apparently it was a huge seller. Just expect it to look really worn :cookie:

Oh, I only started reading his stuff with Timeline, as I was bored in an airport at one point. I was hooked from then on. :)

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Wings: I've been debating whether to get that or not. It is any good?

It is actually. I recommend it. I'm currently reading the 'F is for female wrestling chapter'. Although the 'D is for taking a dump' chapter was awesome.

I'll have to place an order with Amazon as soon as I think of something else to get free shipping.

Posted by PhlyntheKT

Comics

Sonic X #9
Sonic the Hedgehog #163

Graphic Novels

Ranma 1/2 #1
Excel Saga #1
The All New Tenchi Muyo #1
Naruto #10

Posted by Delilah

"Opening Skinner's Box: Great Psychological Experiments of the Twentieth Century"

This book is awesome.

Posted by Forgotten Soul

-G*d Emperor of Dune (Dune Chronicles, Book 4)
-by Frank Herbert

Posted by Kiyoshi

Eldest by Christopher Paolini. Way good. I think you should all read it. Like now.

Posted by Colonel

I wish i was into read. I should be, but i'm not.

Posted by Red

Darren Shan-Sons of Destiny. final book of the Darren Shan series :( so far this book has been great and I loved the whole series 10/10 for sure, just sucks that it's coming to an end.

Posted by Kanashuri

Jennifer Government - Max Berry

Posted by Red

forgot about comics

Union #0
Union #1
Trencher #3 (I think that's it)

Posted by GameMiestro

I'm reading "Sons", by Pearl S. Buck. It's the sequel to "The Good Earth", an excellent book by any standard.

Posted by Cruxis

I'm currently reading 3.

EVERWORLD IV: Realm of the Reaper -K.A. Applegate
Desperation -Stephen King
Silent Witness -Carol Ellis

Posted by Kiyoshi

I'm reading Wizards at War by Diane Duane. The eighth book in the Young Wizards series. It's totally awesome! Dairine and Roshaun forever!

Posted by Colonel

im reading Trigun 2

Its a thick manga and it have 3 books in one. I like it alot, Vash the Stampede is one of the greatest anime characters of all time (other than Mugen).

Posted by Kingdomkeys

Im reading a series called The new prophecy warriors Book 4 Dawn. It's about cats and there home is being destroyed by the twolegs (Aka people) so there worrior ancestorssent sent 6 cats out on a mission to save the 4 clans. It's a realy good series but its the 2nd one the first one is just called Warriors.[IMG]http://vgchat.com/images/icons/icon7.gif[/IMG]

Posted by Klarth

Quoting .hack//: im reading Trigun 2

Its a thick manga and it have 3 books in one. I like it alot, Vash the Stampede is one of the greatest anime characters of all time (other than Mugen).

Manga does not count.

I'm reading Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov.

Posted by Forgotten Soul

Quoting Klarth: Manga does not count.

HAHAHAHA!

Right now I am readin 'Heretics of Dune' by Frank Herbert

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Forgotten Soul]
HAHAHAHA!
It most definitely doesn't.

Also, Frank Herbert was a genius.

Posted by Forgotten Soul

Quoting Klarth: It most definitely doesn't.

Also, Frank Herbert was a genius.

I will agree on both accounts. Magna does not count. Yes Frank Herbert was a genius; I would even go as far to say he IS 'The Best Science-Fiction Writer'.

Posted by XeroPercent

I'm reading Timequake by Kurt Vonnegut. Probably my favorite author.

Posted by Gollum

Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming by Stephen LaBerge.

Really interesting book.

Posted by Echo

Frank Herbert's Dune. Finally got around to buying it.

Posted by Mandude120

Hatching Magic

Posted by NeXidala

White Fang by Jack London

Posted by Ed Wuncler III

Quoting Echo: Frank Herbert's Dune. Finally got around to buying it.

Dude, you'll love it. I have gone through the House Trilogy as well as Dune, Dune Messiah, Children of Dune, God Emperor of Dune, and I am currently on Heretics of Dune.

Posted by powerpuff

The Count of Monte Christo

Posted by Forgotten Soul

Quoting powerpuff: The Count of Monte Christo

Let me know how that is. I have recently purchased
that book, but right now I am wrapped up in others.
I loved the movie, actually it is my favorite movie out
there, and normally the book always ends up being 10
times better, so just let me know what you think.

Posted by WackoHater2

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

2nd time I've read it. Great book.

Posted by NeXidala

The Time Machine by H.G. Wells.

Posted by Ayu

I'm reading, "The Key," by Marianne Curley.

Posted by Kingdomkeys

Im reading Where the red fern grows, it like the 100th time i've read it and it always makes me cry.[IMG]http://vgchat.com/images/icons/icon7.gif[/IMG] I cant find the 2nd book yet.

Posted by Apathetic

It by Stephen King. Just started.

Posted by darkwhispers

i read a few archie comics lately, a nostradamus prophecy book and re-read FMA #3 (I hope to get more manga!)

Posted by Red

I justu found my Shel Silverstein book " A light in the Attic" so I'm sort of reading that, and I'm about half way done the last Darren Shan book, it's great

Posted by NeXidala

I'm reading 'The Giver' right now.

Posted by Ayu

Quoting NeXidala: I'm reading 'The Giver' right now.

Let me know if you liked it. I'm reading, "Eldest," at the moment.

Posted by Raptor

The Satanic Bible by Anton Szandor LaVey. Fascinating material. Most of the points made make absolute sense, and if this author's descriptions of Satanistic principles are accurate, I'm already living a fairly Satanic lifestyle.

"Hot Springs" by Stephen Hunter. I read "Pale Horse Coming" without realising it was part of a series, so now I'm reading the rest of the Earl Swagger books. I'll probably continue with the Bob Lee Swagger books. Excellent stuff.

Posted by maian

Hmm. I was looking through my room for things to sell at a garage sell, and I found a book called "The Demon Awakens" by R.A. Salvatore.

I read some passages, and actually it looked to be a great book. So, I just started it. It's very considerably lenghted; no short book.

I'll report on it later when the plot opens up a little bit.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

I just finished reading Dom Dellilo's "White Noise", and now I'm reading a book on existentialism.

Posted by victimofadown

i am almost finished with Scar Tissue by Anthony Kiedis.

Posted by NeXidala

Quoting Sanaxis: Let me know if you liked it. I'm reading, "Eldest," at the moment.

Finished reading 'The Giver'. I really liked it and after I understood the ending (The ending is a little hard to understand) I loved it. <3
Now, I'm reading 'Same stuff as Stars'.

Posted by Forgotten Soul

'Chapterhouse: Dune'

It'll probbaly take me a while. School is back in full motion and free time
has taken a dive straight into the ground.

Posted by Klarth

So I was in a fifteen-hour car ride today, and I read Arthur C Clarke's The Hammer of God because I had nothing better to do. Great book - very touching, and more down-to-earth and realistic than his other scifi - Yeah, the Space Odyssey series was amazing and gripping, but compared to this they're pretty ridiculous.

I'm reading Bad Twin, by Gary Troup. (ghost name, obviously, anagram of 'Purgatory').

It's actually quite good while still giving me a lot to think about with regards to Lost.

Posted by sniper

Galactic Pot Healer, by Phillip K. Dick. It is about a guy who heals pots on a galactic scale.

Posted by GameMiestro

"The Oedipus Plays of Sophecles", by Sophecles.

I can bet you there are quite a few other people here who are reading that as well.

Posted by Killer Jordo

It's a red book with no name on the cover or anything. It's a 115 year old book about the apocalypse and the devil VS *** deal. Very intresting. I'm not not to read about stuff like this but it's really intresting.

Any idea on the title? That sounds like Dante.

Posted by Apathetic

Onslaught
Badass magic book yeah. I love it and tons of that series.

Posted by WackoHater2

This post, as I am typing it.

Posted by Cloudstud

Im kinda old school right now but I just started reading the Wheel Of Time series by Robert Jordan. Im half way through the first book and its pretty good. Im a little concerned, I just head he has a rare blood disease and somone people believe he may not live long enough to finish the series. Might make some people pretty angry. I think its like 12 or 13 books in the series would be pretty dissapointing to not get some kind of closure.

Posted by Wally The Weird

Well, I got two books last summer when I lost power for nearly a week, and never actually got around to reading them. Then I did!

I'm currently about half way through 'War of The Worlds' by H.G Welles. Frankly, I'm not EVEN half way through,
And I already Think Tom Cruise did a crap job in comparison.

Truley amazing how old the concept of a heat-ray is.

Posted by NeXidala

Quoting Wally The Weird: Well, I got two books last summer when I lost power for nearly a week, and never actually got around to reading them. Then I did!

I'm currently about half way through 'War of The Worlds' by H.G Welles. Frankly, I'm not EVEN half way through,
And I already Think Tom Cruise did a crap job in comparison.

Truley amazing how old the concept of a heat-ray is.

I read that book 2 years ago. Very good book. The movie just kills it.

Finished "The Same Stuff as Stars". Crappy book. I don't recommend it.

Now, I'm reading "Fear the year 2099" We'll see how that goes.

Posted by Kiyoshi

Killer Takes All by Erica Spindler. It's interesting so far, but I'm only on the second chapter. There's something in here about a White Rabbit... Yeah, it's interesting.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

I'm reading "Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley, and it's magnificent thus far.

Posted by Stalolin

Flatland by Edwin A. Abbott.

Pretty interesting, it's a satirical piece about the 19th century in Europe that pokes fun at society by viewing the world as if it were two dimensional.

Quoted post: I'm reading "Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley, and it's magnificent thus far.

Huh, just finished reading that. How odd.

Now I'm reading "The Berkut" by Joseph Heywood. Easily one of the best books I've ever read. Very good.

Posted by Average n00b

Well. =/ I think that you lot have a higher reading level than I, but I have just finished If I Should Die Before I Wake by Han Nolan, and know I'm reading Hairstyle of the ****ed.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

Just finished reading Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank or something like that, and am now re-reading Mere Christianity by CS Lewis

Posted by G-Sides

actually reading the play i hate hamlet.
extremely funny; will be doing a scene out of this in my acting class.

Posted by Average n00b

Hairstyle of the ****ed by Joe Meno. Very good descriptions in this story, also quite funny.

Posted by Moogs

A Separate Peace by John Knowles... We are reading it for English class.

Posted by Shade

A Seperate Peace was retarded.

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin from the A Song of Ice and Fire series.

EDIT: Nice catch BJ

Posted by history_buff

I just finished a big book on what? Duh. High Score, about history of games. Now I'm reading World Records '07 and I put my book Games: In The Beginning on hold. I also put my WWE (wrestling) mag on hold for the book. Ha. It happens to me. WHAT YOU REALLY WANTTO HEAR FROM ME IS THE NEXT THING I SAY. I will be getting the supreme ultimate book Video Games Guide off Amazon for only $21. I want others to know that I love history and want to to know who else does.

Posted by muffla

im reading angels and demons by dan brown

mmmm anti matter

Posted by Creative

I just got through reading 'Kingdom of Fear' ~ by Hunter S. Thompson, which was fuckin excellent by the way, and have started reading 'The Count of Monte Cristo' ~ by Alexandre Dumas.

Posted by Kingdomkeys

im reading dragon rider by Cornelia Funke

Posted by Bebop

A Scanner Darkly

I just finished up Michael Robotham's Drowning Man. I liked it, but I don't know if I would read it again.

Next on my list is Michael Crichton's new one, Next.

Posted by Alastor

Halo: Ghosts of Onyx by Eric Nylund. Best Halo novel yet.

Posted by Echo

Just got iWoz by (naturally) Steve Wozniack for Christmas. I've only read the first chapter, but I really look up to Wozniack and love his personality, so I think I'll enjoy it.

Posted by christinadeenadee

Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller and The Andy Warhol Philosophy (A to B and back again).

World War Z by Max Brooks. Cool concept and great delivery. Can't wait for the movie.

Posted by Tiptoegecko

Animal Farm by George Orwell

One of the best books I have ever read.

Quoting Tiptoegecko: Animal Farm by George Orwell

One of the best books I have ever read.

You pretentious bugger.

Posted by WackoHater2

Weird NJ.

Posted by Omni

Aside from this thread, books on the poetry of Jim Morrison.

Animal Farm is pretentious. Almost more so than Catcher in the Rye.

It's not the book I have a problem with, I do like it. It's when people start claiming that it's the best book ever and that it spoke to them on a deep personal level that I have a problem with it. As if being grounded by your parents for doing something out of order constitutes a dictatorship.

Which is the problem I have with Catcher in the Rye.

Never read it. I guess I should, but I'd rather read something for pleasure rather than read something that I feel I 'should' read.

You've just reminded me, Dances with Dragons was scheduled for February publication. This must be investigated.

Posted by Tiptoegecko

Quoting Wings: You pretentious bugger.

this place just hates everyone's opinions instead of there own.

get a grip, its an opinion, that doesnt make it the best book ever, I said its one of the best that [B]I[/b] ever read. If you dont like it, ok fine, no one likes certain things.

Quoted post: Never read it. I guess I should, but I'd rather read something for pleasure rather than read something that I feel I 'should' read.

It's actually OK and a decent read. But Lord, everyone feels it speaks to them on a deep, personal level and how it connects with how they truly feel about society. It's a load of ****.

Quoting Tiptoegecko: get a grip, its an opinion, that doesnt make it the best book ever, I said its one of the best that [B]I[/b] ever read. If you dont like it, ok fine, no one likes certain things.

I think you should start reading posts. It's kind of what you're expected to do here.

Posted by Yonaka

London Calling by Edward Bloor. Really good book. You guys should totally look into it, especially you commies out there.

Posted by muffla

i just finished Doom knee deep in the dead by dafydd ab hugh and brad linaweaver and now im on the second of the four hell on earth great series this is my second time reading it

See, this is why you need to learn to communicate properly. I had to read your post three times before I realised that half of it was Welsh.

Posted by maian

Pendragon 7: The Quillan Games.

It's a fantastic series. Easy, yes, but entertaining. I love it, anyway.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

A Scanner Darkly. Bought it nearly three weeks ago, and I've only got halfway through due to school, the Wii, and other complications. It's still a fantastic read, though.

Posted by WackoHater2

The Magical Worlds of Harry Potter. It's a really interesting book.

I just finished reading The Andromeda Strain, The Great Train Robbery, and Next all by Michael Crichton. All good, but I found myself oddly dissatisfied with the Andromeda Strain. You get to the end and it's like 'huh. So what was the point of the book before the last few pages'?

Agreed. I heard a lot of talk about Andromeda Strain (lewl i was going to send it to you too) but I wasn't really that happy with it. Prey, however, was great. From start to finish it kept a really good pace.

Anywho, House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski. Someone on 4chan sent me a copy of the full colour edition so I decided to crack it open a couple of nights ago. Confusingly fantastic.

I did like Andromeda Strain, but the ending was fairly unsatisfying. Prey is most definitely his best book that I've read so far, and one of my favourites of all.

Posted by Ch

Right now I'm reading "I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell" by Tucker Max

Easily one of the funniest books I've ever read in my life. This guy needs a sitcom. An amazingly funny read. You can read it online at his website TuckerMax.com

Posted by Bebop

Nearly finished it and I've enjoyed it so much.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Quoting Bebop: 1984

Nearly finished it and I've enjoyed it so much.

Agreed. I didn't expect much from it bar overhyped allegory after Animal Farm, but it's actually really interesting.

I like how my school read Fahrenheit 451 instead. I had to go out on my own and buy it. Go figure.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Wings: You pretentious bugger.

I loved Animal Farm. I finsihed 1984 today and It was brilliant. Apsoulutely loved it and I've never enjoyed a book so much.
I can see Animal Farm being the best book ever or anything. it certainly is very good but 1984 blows it out of water. Clockwork Orange is another very good political book too.

I read the first half or so of Clockwork Orange (almost typed Chocolate there, lawl) and was more amused by the neolinguistics than anything else.

Posted by Bebop

The language of it all it defineltly one of the best things about it. Still thought a good story.

Posted by Tiptoegecko

Quoting Bebop: I loved Animal Farm. I finsihed 1984 today and It was brilliant. Apsoulutely loved it and I've never enjoyed a book so much.
I can see Animal Farm being the best book ever or anything. it certainly is very good but 1984 blows it out of water. Clockwork Orange is another very good political book too.

I might have to check those out then. I wanted to Read A Catcher In The Rye, is it worth my time?

Posted by Ayu

At the moment, I'm reading Twilight. In my opinion, it's a great book, but you have to really like vampires. It's also more of a love story from a teenage girl's point, but it's not girly or anything. I suggest it to everyone who likes that sort of stuff.

Posted by Klarth

Joseph Conrad - Heart of Darkness
F Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby
Philip K Dick - Ubik
Neil Gaiman - American ***s (rereading)
Robert M. Pirsig - Zen And The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

Quoted post: I wanted to Read A Catcher In The Rye, is it worth my time?

How much is your time worth? Because I really don't think it's that great, but a lot of people, clearly, love it.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Quoting Tiptoegecko: I might have to check those out then. I wanted to Read A Catcher In The Rye, is it worth my time?

It's an average book, and it's being sold in bookshops near here for less than a

Posted by Orlandu

I thought the book was rather boring myself, then again I don't like most of the books I was forced to read in school. ( Where the Red Fern Grows, To Kill a Mockingbird) Currently I'm reading the Dark Tower Series by Stephen King. I'm on the third book, The Wastelands. So far it seems like an excellent series.

Posted by Orlandu

You ever read a book they didnt make you read in school, or is that too much thought

Have you? From your posts, it certainly doesn't seem to be the case.

No kidding. Who's he talking to, anyway? Hahah, me? I lol. Learn some English, kid.

Just started up Darwinia, by Robert Charles Wilson.

Posted by Richaod

Destiny's Way by Walter Jon Williams, one of the books in the Star Wars New Jedi Order series. It's one of the better books in an okay (but ridiculously addictive) series.

Posted by WackoHater2

Back to reading Weird N.J.

Posted by higbvuyb

Quoting Richaod: Destiny's Way by Walter Jon Williams, one of the books in the Star Wars New Jedi Order series. It's one of the better books in an okay (but ridiculously addictive) series.

There are like, three decent authors in the NJO series. And, you can't call a series involving Kevin J Anderson 'addictive'. You could barely call it 'suitable for burning'.

Reading Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. Which happens to be the best series in the entire world.

Posted by Tiptoegecko

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: How much is your time worth? Because I really don't think it's that great, but a lot of people, clearly, love it.

I'll devote my time to a good book. And from the responses I see for the book, i'll pass on it, so instead I borrowed Beach Road by James Patterson from my Grandpa. James Patterson is an awesome author, and I cant wait to start reading it<3

Quoting Orlandu: I thought the book was rather boring myself, then again I don't like most of the books I was forced to read in school. ( Where the Red Fern Grows, To Kill a Mockingbird)

This statement makes it clear that you need to be shot in cold blood. Where The Red Fern Grows and To Kill A Mocking Bird are 2 of the best books ever written.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Quoting Tiptoegecko: This statement makes it clear that you need to be shot in cold blood. Where The Red Fern Grows and To Kill A Mocking Bird are 2 of the best books ever written.

Hi my name is an opinion how may I help you.

I'm reading Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? Only two chapters in, but the premise has me very interested.

Posted by S

Stephen King - The Stand.

Posted by darkwhispers

the artemis fowl series. like the avy?

Posted by Colonel

Calvin and Hobbes: Yukon Ho!

Posted by WackoHater2

Go Ask Alice and The Chocolate War. Both for school. Both pretty interesting.

The Terminal Man ~ Michael Crichton

Haven't come across a rotten Crichton novel yet, so I suspect this to be good.

Prey still remains one of my favourite sci-fi-esque action-y books.

I was disappointed with The Terminal Man. Just the ending was a bit like he didn't know where he was going to go with it.

Posted by Ayu

The Blue Girl~I'm almost done with it and I peronally love it so far.

Posted by Sterling

Misery-Stephen King

Posted by Bebop

Ubik

Ive stupidly left it at work and wont return till my holiday is over. Im up to chapter 3 and Im quite confused by it. Alot of the time when I read I end up just reading the words but never really taking them in because my mind has side tracked. Anyone else get this?
It's quite cool though and I quite like Dick's style of writing but from what I've heard and read his books tend to feautre alot of seemingly irrelevant stuff. A Scanner had some of that I thought.

Posted by Oforia

The Second World War
~John Keegan

It's a really good book if you love history.

Posted by Yonaka

It by Stephen King.

It's an excellent book so far. And that one gay guy named Adriann Melon who got killed reminded me so much of my friend Michael it isn't funny.

Posted by Gangstafly

whitey peeps read an' it iz annoying. Reading iz fo' fools. I dont git why ppl gots ta read all da tyme. it iz uh waste o' tyme all da tyme if ya know what I be saying sho 'nuff!

Posted by imnotpanicimMRPOOVE!

wat u say is true

Sho'nuff.

Posted by veritas

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. I have to read it for school. Its not actually not bad. I thought it would be boring

Rising Sun ~ Michael Crichton.

Quoting Angelwing: Rising Sun ~ Michael Crichton.

Good luck. Out of all his books, I found that the hardest going, although it's an excellent story.

I've just finished up Digital Fortress (Dan Brown) and it really surprised me. I absolutely loved it. Maybe it's the techie in me, but I was completely won over.

What do you mean "hardest going"? I really liked it. Even if some of the characters and interactions with said characters were just weird (that one armed chick for example.)

I don't know, I really did enjoy it, but there were some parts I really had to push myself through. Maybe I missed something crucial at the start or something, but it seemed like a complete struggle until about two thirds of the way through, when it was like '...ohhhh'. I think I got some of the characters mixed up, or something.

By the way, the film's awful, but it's worth it for Sean Connery speaking Japanese. :cookie:

So far, I'm enjoy it (Rising Sun). I much prefer Crichton's sci-fis, but his other books are still superb.

yeah, sci-fi is superior. The whole japanese thing seemed a tad goofy to me at times.

Posted by Red

The Hobbit..for school

I'm only like 20 pages in but so far it's good and I know I'm gunna like it.

Posted by Frankie Jaegar

[COLOR="Orange"]The Templar Legacy -- by Steve Berry

He almost matches Dan Brown in terms of conspiracy buffs. [/COLOR]

Posted by NeXidala

I just finished Eragon and Eldest and now I'm reading "Starvaganza: The City of Stars".

Posted by muffla

Black wind by clive cussler

just amazing

Posted by Average n00b

Just finished The Good Earth for school. Eh, it had it's moments.

Hairstyles of the ****ed. I just finished this one yesturday, it was pretty **** good. <3

Disclosure ~ Michael Crichton.

Yeah, getting my fill of Crichton this year.

Posted by Moogs

Black by TED DEKkER

Posted by Creedence

If Chins Could Kill, autobiography of Bruce Cambell, who stars in such movies as Evil Dead 1-3. I'm about 20 pages from done and then I'm going to read Make Love the Bruce Cambell way.

The Dream ~ H.G. Wells

Posted by Ant

I Am Legend by Richard Matheson

Same as above. ******* Judge making me go out and buy the book. Good stuff though.

Posted by Ant

******* Judge giving me the book to read. Good stuff though.

I should take back this book and you should send it to me for free.

And then you can send it to me. The Dream is ***awfully boring so far.

State of Fear ~ Michael Crichton

Goodness.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

I finished Scar Night and the latest Star Wars: Legacy of the Force novel.

Now I'm reading the new 600+ page epic from Tad Williams: Shadowplay. It's volume 2 in a series, Shadowmarch being the first book. This series is his first good work since the trilogy of Sorrow, Memory, and Thorn, in my opinion. A very dark take on the whole humans vs. elves aspect of fantasy. Twisted and deeply troubled characters all over the board. Fun stuff.

Posted by Bebop

Ubik.

Not really enjoying it. Finding it pretty dull actually.

Posted by Red

Demon Thief by Darren Shan, I think I should read it more, I've been playing to much Zelda lately.

Posted by Creedence

Snow Falling on Cedars. I'm not very far but it bores the snot out of me. Someone told me that it gets better as it goes so I press on.

Posted by Desperado

almost done with The Art Of War (amazin' book)

Posted by Colonel

Just finsihed "The Crysalids" for school.

Now I have to start "The Hobbit" for school

I guess you could say I don't liek to read

Posted by veritas

Julius Caesar. Its for school. I think its pretty boring

I just finished reading The Righteous Men by Sam Bourne, and really enjoyed it, even if the guy's a bit verbose.

Posted by Bebop

Just finished Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. I enjoyed it alot more than the film but some chapters were hard reading. Started American Pyscho.

Quoted post: Started American Pyscho.

Enjoy the twenty or so pages of really in-depth suit describing.

Anywho, I just started reading "Black Light" by Stephen Hunter. So far it's pretty ****ing great, like just about every other book in the Bob Lee/Earl Swagger series.

Posted by The Judge

The Best of H.P. Lovecraft.

Posted by Slade

Just started Naked Lunch. I've heard it's great, but only from people whose seal of approval I'm a little reluctant to accept.

Posted by Buhnz_O'Steele

Blood of the Fold by Terry Goodkind

mmm Sword of Truth series <3

Posted by muffla

this post

but really im readint vahalla rising by clive cussler

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Enjoy the twenty or so pages of really in-depth suit describing.

Anywho, I just started reading "Black Light" by Stephen Hunter. So far it's pretty ****ing great, like just about every other book in the Bob Lee/Earl Swagger series.

Yeah the suit describing gets really in depth at first and after a while a bit annoying but thankfully once the author makes sure you get the picture he stops with it.

Yeah, luckily it actually added to the novel before it got too ridiculous and bothersome. Gives a good idea of how obsessive and insane Bateman is if you actually get tired reading about a suit in such depth.

Posted by Bebop

It catches you off guard too. You'll start reading anothetr passage on what he's wearing and what others are wearing etc and then suddenly it come at you with "I tortured a puppy to death las night."

Posted by Red

right now in school were reading "the Chrisalids"
our teacher's making us read it too fast though so I doubt I'll end up reading it...anyone know any good chapter summary sites?

Posted by WackoHater2

E-Tales: The Best and Worst of Internet Humor

Sun Tzu's The Art of War.

Saw it at costco for half price, plus the cover is in this shiny fabric and really quite beautiful. Oh, and it has one of those attached material bookmarks. So I boughts it.

Posted by clearlytheman

The Last book I read was controversy creates cash

Posted by Average n00b

Get me Out of Here by Rachel Reiland. It's about this chick recovering from Bordeline Personality Disorder, I'm really into psychology lately so I picked this up. *Shrug*

Edit: Oh, and I just finished reading numerous plays written by Neil LaBute such as This Is How It Goes, Fat Pig, and Some Girl(s)

Some Girl(s) was the best one IMO. I preformed a monolouge from the play and got a fooking B on it. >D

Posted by Near

Blow by Bruce Porter

Posted by elle

Rant: An Oral Biography of Buster Casey by Chuck Palahniuk.

Posted by Near

Just finished up Blow so now I am working on Dune: The Butlerian Jihad by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson.

Posted by Shade

Dante's Purgatorio. I enjoyed Inferno quite a bit, and while I've been told this one isn't quite as accessible, I'm sure it'll be a great read.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Company by Max Barry. Good book, reminds me of the movie Office Space.

Posted by Average n00b

Well, my brother is currently reading The Antichrist by Friedrich Nietzche. I'm personally agnostic but the book seems to be interesting. o_O; So I may read it next.

Posted by Klarth

i'm reading Human, All Too Human by Nietzsche

Posted by Klarth

and Naruto Volume 929948

Posted by Average n00b

Quoting Klarth: i'm reading Human, All Too Human by Nietzsche

I saw that in the bookstore, any good?

Posted by Marxist

Candide

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Average n00b: I saw that in the bookstore, any good?

Delicious

Posted by netman

I just finished Lamb by Christopher Moore

awesomely funny touching book

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. I've decided to give the Harry Potter series another go, considering I love the movies so much.

Posted by Apathetic

Candide by Voltaire, it seems like just a summary so far.

"Time to Hunt" by Stephen Hunter. Final book :( And "Black Order" by James Rollins.

about 100 pages to go for the former and two-hundred in to the latter.

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.

Posted by WillisGreeny

A Clash of Kings, by George R. R. Martin

Posted by sonic hedgehog

"Crisscross" by F. Paul Wilson

Posted by UncleYaris

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Yellow"]I just finished re-reading Plato's Republic.
I might read Ecce Homo by Nietzsche next.
[/COLOR][/FONT]

Posted by giminius

Reading Luo Guanzhong's Sanguo Yuanyi.

It's long, but good.

Posted by Yonaka

The Gunslinger By Stephen King.

Posted by Twilight Chick

Gravitation manga. And once in a while I'll read Naruto, Shaman King, and Hikaru no Go manga. And I'm gonna start reading The Catcher in the Rye soon.

Posted by Yonaka

Catcher In The Rye is considered an emo book. I was only going to read it soon because of Frankie Iero.

Posted by Shade

im confused since when is manga literature

Posted by Yonaka

I don't think it is. But as America turns more to video games, movies, t.v. etc, the average reading level deteriorates and will continue to do so until manga is considered literature. And then after that, people will rely on picture books. :(

Posted by Shade

shut up

54 pages into "I Am Legend" by Richard Matheson; 397 pages into Black Order by James Rollins; 212 pages into "Moby Dick" by Herman Melvill.

Posted by Shade

Finally finished Kite Runner. Good stuff.

Gonna start Milton's Paradise Lost tomorrow.

Going to start Airframe by Michael Crichton.

Posted by Moogs

I just finished Deathly Hallows

About to begin This Present Darkness

Posted by Bebop

Just finished reading The Watchmen. Mind=blown.

Posted by The Hate

Trying to read the half blood prince. Its hard when u have no time.

Posted by Kendra, Warrior Babe

At the Bottom of the Garden: A Dark History of Faeries, Hobgoblins, and Other Troublesome Things, by Diane Purkiss. Very good, more psychological study than I had initially thought it would be. I just finished this older-than-my-great-great-grandma novel, "The Private Life of Helen of Troy" by John Erskine. Loved it.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.

The Dive From Clausen's Pier.

At first, I was skeptical; I generally do not read books that were made into lifetime movies. But, it was given to me free, so I am reading it, and its actually okay. The narration is great and stays in character, which seems to me a rare thing in first-person fiction novels.

Posted by muffla

right now im readin catcher in the rye for skool, it sux

Really? I thought Catcher was great...

Posted by Klarth

Just read Dr. Bloodmoney by Philip K Dick. Absolutely excellent; I recommend it to anyone who likes post-apocalyptic fiction. I bought it ages ago and never actually got around to opening it.

Odd considering that A Terran Odyssey is one of my favourite shorts of his.

Posted by Near

Finished up Dune: Butlerian Jihad. Good book, of course not near as good as Frank's work, but I enjoyed the read.

Then I read 'Digital Fortress' by Dan Brown. Another good book, easy read, entertaining. So no complaints about that one.

I also read 'Saint' by Ted Dekker, and I guess it was ok, started off great but around half-way through the author threw in some crazy stuff that didn't help. So it kind of went downhill from there. I probably wouldn't recommend this one but then again it could of been bad for me since I have not read any of his other works.

Well now I am reading 'Predator' by Patricia Cornwell, a random book my mom and sister picked up for me, and I must say it is very good. I am almost done with it and would easily say that it is worth the read.

Tedd Dekker is a great writer, "Saint" was his worst. It had style, though. Read some of his other works; his best is a collaberation with Frank Perretti, called "House."

Posted by Bebop

Invisible Monsters

Posted by Near

Quoting Kendra, Warrior Babe: Tedd Dekker is a great writer, "Saint" was his worst. It had style, though. Read some of his other works; his best is a collaberation with Frank Perretti, called "House."

Thanks for the heads up. I had actually saw that book along with some other work he had done and was actually planning on reading something else. So I think I will for sure now after you said 'Saint' was his worst. It was alright, so I can see how some of his other work could be much better.

Anyways, just finished up 'Predator' by Patricia Cornwell and what a good read. If any of you might be interested in something like a CSI type deal, this is an excellent Mystery/Thriller. Now I have heard that some of this authors earlier work was better, so you might look into those first.

Now I've started on 'Dune: The Machine Crusade' by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson. Slowly getting closer to finishing up the whole Dune series.

Posted by Shade

Travels with Charley, by John Steinbeck.

Posted by Colonel

The Absolute Watchmen.

Wolverine #1-5

Just finished "Eclipse" by Stephenie Meyer. Good, as always, but somewhat disappointing that nothing really happened; it is still at the same point as when "New Moon" ended. 7.8/ 10.0

Right now I am reading through "Poems" by Emily Dickinson, again.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.

Posted by Colonel

Wolverine # 6-10

Avalon High, by Meg Cabot.

It is okay, for this genre. I like the idea behind it, I like the humore and the subtle plot hints dropped here and there.

Posted by Klarth

Iain M. Banks - The Player of Games

James Rollins' The Judas Strain. Just picked it up today, about twenty pages in. He's such a good author and only seems to get better as each book passes.

Posted by Slade

Frank Herbert's The Dosadi Experiment. It's the second in a series of four of his novels that I found a while back, all collected in one mega-novel. Almost finished, I think. This is the first time I've read the description of a protagonist and thought, "...what?" He sounds really ugly. But it turns out Ugly has some pretty cool adventures.

What is that series about? Os it any good?

"The Historian" by Elizabeth Kostova. I'm only sixty pages in, but it is well-written and lots of research behind it. I'm also flipping through Jhoenen Vasquez's "Squee." Squee is truly hilarious. 10/10 as far as graphic novels go; this novel is ***'s gift to comics.

Posted by nich

Reading through His Dark Materials By Pullman again, I'm about half-way through The Amber Spyglass. So far the first book is the best, I think, but I do enjoy the interesting spin on religion in the second and third books.

Posted by Apathetic

Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami

Quoted post:
"The Historian" by Elizabeth Kostova. I'm only sixty pages in, but it is well-written and lots of research behind it.

******* that books was pretty subpar. It was good, then got bogged down real quick.

Posted by Red

Bec by Darren Shan.

I've realized that the only books I've posted as "curretnly reading" are Darren Shan. I guess I read slow.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Preacher, first few issues

Posted by Near

Quoting Slade: Frank Herbert's The Dosadi Experiment. It's the second in a series of four of his novels that I found a while back, all collected in one mega-novel. Almost finished, I think. This is the first time I've read the description of a protagonist and thought, "...what?" He sounds really ugly. But it turns out Ugly has some pretty cool adventures.

I've actually found those books of his online and was curious to see if they were any good. So I am assuming you read the first book in the series of 4, how was it? Also how is this one coming along?

Posted by Slade

Kendra & Near: Yeah, I've basically read 1.5 of the books in the series(does it have an official title?). I'd say they're pretty good, definitely worth a read. I was surprised by the depth Herbert goes into when talking about other species, their history, values etc. I've never read any of his Dune stuff, though, so I can't compare it to any of that.

Today I was feeling tired, so I planned to start reading Michael Crichton's Sphere and then sleep for a while. Little did I know I'd be drawn to read the entire thing in one sitting. I would've sworn it was only ten or eleven, but it was 1 AM when I finished. So now I'm catching up on the meal I missed and wondering how the hell I'll be able to sleep now. That book totally pumped me up.

Posted by Klarth

Iain M. Banks - Consider Phlebas

...Or at least I was reading it until I misplaced my copy.

I'm currently reading Moab is my Washpot, Stephen Fry's autobiography.

I'm then going to move on to Catch Me If You Can; Frank Abagnale's.

Posted by Near

Quoting Slade: Kendra & Near: Yeah, I've basically read 1.5 of the books in the series(does it have an official title?). I'd say they're pretty good, definitely worth a read. I was surprised by the depth Herbert goes into when talking about other species, their history, values etc. I've never read any of his Dune stuff, though, so I can't compare it to any of that.

Yeah, he always did go into quite a bit of depth in his Dune series, so it doesn't surprise me that he did the same thing in those books you're reading now.

Posted by Klarth

Today I finished The Remains of the Day, by Kazuo Ishiguro. It's my A-level course text, so I took some time to look at the language, social issues, blah de ****ing blah blah, on account of being tested on them in six months' time.

I actually liked it loads, though. Very engaging.

Just finished "Carrie" by Steven King. It was just... sad. I'll always side with Carrie- those b****s deserved to die. I'm reading "Be Near Me" by Andrew O'Hagan, and it is very well written. :)

Just started Eaters of the Dead, by Michael Crichton. Pretty sure I'm going to enjoy it.

Posted by Omni

Quoting Angelwing: Just started Eaters of the Dead, by Michael Crichton. Pretty sure I'm going to enjoy it.

I read that. It's weird, but I liked it.

Ascending Peculiarity: Edward Gorey on Edward Gorey.

Now, I have always been a fan, but even I have to admit... This guy is a nut. :)

Posted by TimeSkipz

"The last post made" by Babe

Posted by Apathetic

This Side of Paradise by F Scott Fitzgerald
The California Divers handbook is a maybe.

Posted by Wally The Weird

I have just finished 'Watchmen'

Quite possibly the best comic ever written.

Posted by Dr. Rockso

World War Z
Two words can describe this book, ****ed up

Hey, I loved WWZ.

Anyways, I got a whole stack of the "Y: The Last Man" comics from the library, and I really like them. Nice idea, strong characters; the art is great. What more could you want?

Quoted post: Just started Eaters of the Dead, by Michael Crichton. Pretty sure I'm going to enjoy it.

Huh, I just started Andromeda Strain last night.

Andromeda Strain is good. It's been a long time since I've read it, I should re-read it sometime.

I also started A Brief History of the Celts by Peter Berresford Ellis. Probably be reading this on and off.

Posted by Linko_16

Just finished "The Golden Compass" (apparently known as "Northern Lights" in the UK). I am furious... I had no idea it was the first book in a trilogy, and it ended with a total cliffhanger.

At least I can see the movie now with the comfort of having read the book first.

My sister has me reading "Here, There Be Dragons" by James A. Owen. Its pretty good; but little by little am I realizing just how much of a nerd I must be for understanding half of the inside jokes in the book.

Posted by Shin-Ra

I'm almost finished with Nietzsche's Twilight of the Idols and will soon be starting on either Chuck Palahniuk's Rant or Nietzsche's Thus Spake Zarathustra, which I enjoyed but never got the chance to finish. Nietzsche's interesting. He makes a lot of very good points, but he's a guy you have to "take with a grain of salt" because he's so hasty in his assumptions and a lot of his logic is based on a lot of unfounded data, but that's more a relation to his time period than him trying to be a liar of sorts. I'm also looking at getting something by Derida, as I hear he's somewhat of a deconstructionist.

Posted by Crazy K

I'm currently reading Homecoming by Cynthia Voigt, American Gangster (The screenplay) by Steven Zaillian, and I'm also reading Beowulf for school.

Posted by Ridley_04

Slaughter House 5.

Quoted post: but he's a guy you have to "take with a grain of salt" because he's so hasty in his assumptions and a lot of his logic is based on a lot of unfounded data, but that's more a relation to his time period than him trying to be a liar of sorts.

I think that's what I find interesting about his writings personally...

"The Hobbit" by, you guessed it! J.R.R. Tolkein. I can't say anything about this book that has not already been said.

Re-reading Battle Royale until I can pick up the 47th Samurai by Stephen Hunter.

Posted by Dr. Rockso

Sound of the Beast The Complete Headbanging History of Heavy Metal

Good Stuff

Posted by Sayuri

Ruler Of The Realm by Herbie Brennan. Pretty good book so far. I'm almost finished with it. When that's done, I'll be reading a book of fairy tales by The Brothers Grimm.

Brothers Grimm are always good and fun- I don't know about Herbie Brennan, though. He's... eh.

Right now, I'm rereading my Holly Black books. I don't know, Halloween sort of made me want to reread them, they all have a bit of an eerie feel. I think "Tithe" was the best though, and I can't wait for the next book.

Posted by Shade

The second book in Stephen King's Dark Tower series. Good stuff.

Posted by Average n00b

Psychology for Dummies.

And re-reading Civil War.

Posted by Shade

The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks

Posted by Red

I recently finished reading the book "Night" by Eli Weisle (sp?) for school.
It was about the holocaust and it was pretty good imo.

Posted by project101

im reading a breif history of time by steven hawking and its really interesting actually

"Frankenstein" by Mary Shelley. Good literature. Not quite the epic horror novel that it is said to be, but I like it.

Posted by cool gamer dad

Hemingway's The Sun Also Rises. I just finished The Old Man and the Sea.

Posted by xuclo

Evoluţia Divină by Edouard Schure. lol

Posted by Red

I'm supose to have read half of "to Kill a Mokingbird" by Monday but I doubt that'll happen...this book so far is pretty dull.

Posted by Shade

You kidding? I love that book.

Quoted post: I'm supose to have read half of "to Kill a Mokingbird" by Monday but I doubt that'll happen...this book so far is pretty dull.

Haha, you suck at reading.

Posted by Red

do you mean I'm slow or that I have a bad taste in books? cuz either is pretty true actually. and I've only read the book for about an hour and got 25 pages in, I could read half I just get preoccupied with other things.

Posted by Shade

So you just admitted to being stupid? lawl

Posted by cool gamer dad

I'm a slow reader too, Red. Most in part because of a sort of paranoia that I missed something important in a paragraph. But it's ok.

I'm fast, and don't ever miss anything. Chubby kitty.

Quoted post: I'm a slow reader too, Red. Most in part because of a sort of paranoia that I missed something important in a paragraph. But it's ok.

Difference being, you seem to have OCD and exhibit a higher level of intelligence. Red just seems to be dumb and straight-up doesn't like to read good books.

Posted by David M. Awesome

[COLOR=Navy]Your computer screen.[/COLOR]

"Inferno" by Dante Allegheri
Hope I spelled his name right. Its a little hard to keep track of, in the beginning, but I think its good. :)

Posted by Shade

It's spelled "Alighieri".

And I believe the description you meant to give it was "****ing genius piece of literature."

Posted by Red

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Difference being, you seem to have OCD and exhibit a higher level of intelligence. Red just seems to be dumb and straight-up doesn't like to read good books.

sorry for dragging this out longer than it should be, but I don't see how I'm dumb? also I never said I didn't think the book was good, I said I thought it was dull "so far" and since I'm only about 30 pages in I'm not willing to say I wont like the book, I probably will, all I'm saying is so far it's not the best and is probably just slow to get into for me.

Posted by Shade

[quote=Red]do you mean I'm slow or that I have a bad taste in books? cuz either is pretty true actually

[quote]So you just admitted to being stupid? lawl

[quote=red]huh?

That is why you're stupid.

And read the ****ing book. It's great.

Posted by Red

by slow I meant slow at reading and by bad taste...well that's self explanatory, none of those two things mean "stupid" and therefore I did not call myself stupid.

also yes of course I will read the book, I actually think I'll enjoy it.

Posted by Shade

The proper wording would've been, "do you mean that I read slowly", not, "do you mean I'm slow".

And since slow is synonymous with stupidity... yeah!

you're stupid because you have bad tastes in books and you're a slow reader. drr

Posted by ElroyJetson

Book of the Dead by patricia cornwell, and all the presidents men...botd is actually solid so far.

Posted by Shin-Ra

I just got through reading 1984 by George Orwell and Rant by Chuck Palahniuk this week. I'm currently reading some book by a neurologist named Oliver Sacks. The book's called The Island of the Color-Blind and it's about a group of islanders who are color blind and it discusses how their buildings, gardening, language and art differ from ours. I only just started, but it seems interesting enough. No computer and television has made me start reading again. It totally sucks / is kinda awesome.

Quoted post: The book's called The Island of the Color-Blind and it's about a group of islanders who are color blind

Whoa, really? lol

Actually it sounds pretty cool. Kinda want to check it out now.

Posted by Bebop

Catch-22

It's funny and has an interesting style but nothing is really coming out of it. You have to put alot of effort. I'm thinking about dropping it.

Posted by Shin-Ra

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Actually it sounds pretty cool. Kinda want to check it out now.

His writing style is great too. He's really smooth, intelligent, medical and sociological in his vocabulary. Sacks also wrote the book Awakenings about coma patients who were given drugs and "revived" and describes their adjustments and eventual slipping back into the comatose state. The book was made into a movie quite some time back. Also, he has another book with a name that's something similar to Musicphelia in which he discusses people who see colours while listening to music, associate letters of the alphabet with colours, and can actually taste while listening to music. He was recommended to me by one of my professors and I've been impressed thus far. I really want that Musicphelia book though.

Posted by cool gamer dad

Aldous Huxley's Brave New World.

Posted by Shade

Ugh. I had to read that for summer reading last year. Despite being on a lot of the "best books ever written" lists, I didn't like it at all. Boring.

Though I got a laugh when he mentioned the six year olds doing it in the park.

Quoted post: Ugh. I had to read that for summer reading last year. Despite being on a lot of the "best books ever written" lists, I didn't like it at all. Boring.

What? That book was excellent. And I'm usually the one that says those "greatest books ever written" ****ing suck. One of the few I was happy to read a couple times on my own time.

And wasn't that Awakenings book just recently made into a film that, like, opens tomorrow?

Posted by Shin-Ra

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Awakenings

Nah, it was the one with De Niro and Robin Williams in it. Great film by the way.

Oh, I guess I totally misread that part of your post then, since it's not even close to similar. Whoops.

Posted by cool gamer dad

Couldn't imagine how you could be bored with Brave New World! Great book so far.

Posted by CrystalPain

The Art of War
Sun-Tzu

i really like it

Posted by Shade

Just finished The Wasp Factory. Cool book, the ending totally made me 'wtf?'.

Now I'm reading Voyage of Slaves, by Brian Jacques.

Posted by Xero

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (the french verasion)

I'm at about 3 quarters of the book. I'm enjoying it quite a lot.

Posted by Shade

*** that book was disappointing. I wanted to **** up Rowling so badly.

It was pretty badass if you ask me.

Posted by Shade

I believe the term you're looking for is "anti-climactic"

idk, I thought the ending was perfect for the series.

Posted by Slade

...Someone's going to post spoilers soon. I can feel it. They'll just nonchalantly add it in there to make their point more effective, and then BAM. all my dreams, ruined.

Posted by Shade

SLADE, DON'T READ THIS POST.

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: idk, I thought the ending was perfect for the series.

Really? Final Harry/Voldemort confrontation was lame. I wanted there to be an actual duel. Not "oh ok one spell oh i win cool." Not good enough. Though JK is terrible at writing fighting sequences, I still wanted more. It also sucks to me how Harry's going to be a hero to the world when in reality he did jack **** to kill the dude. He won on a wand technicality, not skill. He at least should've trained up at some point during the book so that I could at least think, "Yeah, I get that he won because of the wand, but even if there was an actual duel, he would've won." No. He would've got his *** beaten faster than you can blink. He only knows like, three curses, for ***'s sake.

Posted by TimeSkipz

I am Legend

I gotta know the story before I see the movie :).

Posted by David M. Awesome

[quote=TimeSkipz;790056]I am Legend

I gotta know the story before I see the movie :).

[COLOR=Navy]It seems to be about a disease that causes people to go crazy that only Will Smith is immune to. So it's a movie about zombies. Also, they only come out at night. So it's a movie about VAMPIRE zombies.
[/COLOR]

Quoted post: Really?

Yes really. I didn't read the rest of your post.

Posted by Slade

PHEW, it's a good thing I said something. Just now, I saw Shade's warning seconds before I started to read that ****. thx... I guess? Should've just used spoiler tags.

Harry kills Voldemort, though just because he has a better wand or something. lol

Posted by Xero

*Spoilers* It's no surprise that Harry kills Voldemort. He probably got his hand on that death wand and became unvulnerable.

I'm at the part where they want to break into Gringotts and I love the story so far. Nothing disappointing.

Posted by Shade

ok, tl;dr of previous post.

Harry's weak and won on a technicality. Voldemort should've ****ing raped him.

Posted by Slade

Huh, that's not much of a spoiler at all. It sounds like a fine ending to me. I mean, you know who is supposed to be the most powerful wizard of all time, so how would some kid beat him face-to-face? It would've been a lame ending if they had battled on equal terms and Harry had won with THE POWER OF LOVE.

Quoted post: Harry's weak and won on a technicality. Voldemort should've ****ing raped him.

What do you expect though? Do you really want Harry to beat the "biggest badass in wizard history", straight out, in pure skill? I know I don't. If anything that makes Voldemort seem incredibly weak and just a *****. I mean, how much could Harry really learn and accomplish in under ten years to take down Voldermort, who has fifty plus years of experience and already considered the most powerful, living wizard?

idk, a technicality is the only thing that makes sense.

Posted by TimeSkipz

[quote=Mr. Awesome;790065][COLOR=Navy]It seems to be about a disease that causes people to go crazy that only Will Smith is immune to. So it's a movie about zombies. Also, they only come out at night. So it's a movie about VAMPIRE zombies.
[/COLOR]

It's about a disease that infects everyone and Smith is immune because hes bit by a infected and is injected with a serum. Hes the last man to not be infected and he tries to find a cure using his blood, thats what I'm at right now.

Quoted post: So it's a movie about VAMPIRE zombies.

There's really nothing related to vampires in the movie.

BUT THERE'S SWEET CARS AND **** YEAH

Posted by Xero

Quoting Shade: ok, tl;dr of previous post.

My post was a little more than 2 lines long dude. -_-

Quoting Slade: It would've been a lame ending if they had battled on equal terms and Harry had won with THE POWER OF LOVE.

I would have burned all my Harry Potter books if the story would have ended that way.

Posted by Shade

I know all that. It just rubbed me the wrong way that, you know, here's the big climax of the whole ****ing series, and it's over with in one spell.

See, that's what I liked. It wasn't long and drawn out, super flashy or anything like that. It was short and anti-climactic. Oddly enough, that felt more real to me, you know? It's like in action movies where the action goes on forever and ever and it gets less and less believable. When in reality it'd likely last less than thirty seconds and be strangely disappointing. Maybe that's just me, but that's how I looked at it.

Quoted post: My post was a little more than 2 lines long dude. -_-

He's talking about his post which I didn't read. He just summed it up for me.

Posted by Xero

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: See, that's what I liked. It wasn't long and drawn out, super flashy or anything like that. It was short and anti-climactic. Oddly enough, that felt more real to me, you know? It's like in action movies where the action goes on forever and ever and it gets less and less believable. When in reality it'd likely last less than thirty seconds and be strangely disappointing. Maybe that's just me, but that's how I looked at it.

I'm with you on this one. Anything with a bunch of spells and explosions with both wizads covered with blood, crawling on the ground to get their wand and at the very last second, Harry reaches it first to make a final spell.
Now that would be rather typical. Although I haven't read the end yet, I'm not surprised it only took 1 spell for Harry to win. He basically owned everyone in the Malefoy's house using only one spell.

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: He's talking about his post which I didn't read. He just summed it up for me.

Ah ok. I was wondering... :)

Quoted post: I'm with you on this one. Anything with a bunch of spells and explosions with both wizads covered with blood, crawling on the ground to get their wand and at the very last second, Harry reaches it first to make a final spell.
Now that would be rather typical.

Yeah, that's just boring if you ask me. Too hollywood.

Posted by Shade

He doesn't own Voldemort at all. You'll see once you get there. (EDIT: ninja'd by new page)

Who's talking about it "seeming real"? It's a children's fantasy novel. And even with that taken into account, Harry could have at least used a more impressive spell. You know, something that a first year wouldn't be able to do?

And as long as we're talking about what was more realistic, nobody would've stood by and watched Harry try to take down the biggest badass of all time by himself. It would've gone something along the lines of, "**** the prophecy, these odds are too good. FORTY AGAINST ONE, MOTHER ****ER."

Posted by Borealis

the caves of steel by Isaac Asimov

Quoted post: Who's talking about it "seeming real"? It's a children's fantasy novel.

I am? Because long, drawn out action scenes get boring.

Quoted post: Harry could have at least used a more impressive spell. You know, something that a first year wouldn't be able to do?

Why? He didn't have to, and if I recall correctly, he knew it too.

And the fact the battle lasted less than thirty seconds, Voldemort already took down basically all the powerful wizards, and only had time to cast one whole spell... yeah. That doesn't leave a lot of room for a massive 40 on 1 battle.

Either way, the wand thing gave more depth to the whole story, rather than Harry just somehow being a superior wizard... which would've been dumb.

Posted by I Want A Sandwich

The Sailor who Fell from Grace with the Sea. (by Yukio Mishima)

It's fascinating. Much like Animal Farm in that it is an allegory to demonstrate Yukio Mishima's forecast of Japan back when the United States had their puppet government after WWII. Brilliantly written.

Michael Crichton's Next.

Posted by Xero

I'm getting close to the end of the last Harry Potter. The kid is back in the forest to go meet Voldemort. This is getting more and more exciting :wacko:

I'm now at the final duel! 20 pages left to read.

Posted by TheSorrow

Darkly Dreaming Dexter
Halo:Fall of Reach

Posted by Xero

I finished the 7th and last book. I got a little confused on how Voldemort's spell actually bounced, but aside that, great ending.

Now I'll start reading Agatha Christie books again ^_^

Quoted post: I got a little confused on how Voldemort's spell actually bounced, but aside that, great ending.

Really? They explained it in hardcore detail. He was using the Elder Wand, which rightfully belonged to Draco, and then was passed to Harry, so obviously said wand wouldn't kill its owner. Therefore the spell bounced back.

Posted by Shade

I think the Expeliarmus had an effect as well. Disarmed Voldemort's curse, in a way, causing it to bounce back. If it were just the wand thing, curse probably would've hit him and done nothing. In retrospect, smart move by Harry.

Posted by Xero

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Really? They explained it in hardcore detail. He was using the Elder Wand, which rightfully belonged to Draco, and then was passed to Harry, so obviously said wand wouldn't kill its owner. Therefore the spell bounced back.

I understood that, but I forgot that a wand could not kill his owner if in the hands of another. WHOOPSIE :p:

Posted by Borealis

The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Posted by Shade

World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War, by Max Brooks

Really good read.

Posted by TimeSkipz

The Art of War - Sun Tzu

It's an amazing book.