Evangelion Acquired by [adult swim]

Posted by Alastor

I first seen this on a viewer bump Thursday night, and just realized no one had made a thread on it.

Here's the article from [as]'s site.

Although no air date has yet been decided, Adult Swim will, in the near future, air the classic anime show Neon Genesis Evangelion. NGE is the story of Shinji Ikari, a teenage boy recruited by his estranged father to pilot the giant Evangelion Unit-01 to defend the earth against a horde of monsterous, invading alien creatures known as the Angels. A unique mix of exceptional battle scenes, religious symbolism, psychological storytelling and teenage angst, Neon Genesis Evangelion has been referred to by many as one of the greatest anime shows ever made.

I'm looking forward to it. I've never been able to watch NGE. :(

I expect to see atleast one comment on how terrible it will be compared to the Japanese version. Don't disappoint me, now. :)

Posted by Ant

I look forward to it. I don't think they will crap it up either. So hoorah.

Posted by boomstick

Quoting Ant: I look forward to it. I don't think they will crap it up either. So hoorah.

They will, it's highly doubtful that it'll keep it's complexing and deep storyline, along with the mature themes that are interwoven within.

This makes me sad, I cross my fingers and hope and pray that the best anime ever will be kept in it's prue form, but how many are after being fucking gutted by CN or AS.

This sucks, really sucks, that's the last anime of this planet that I wanted CN to get their hands on, stupid Sons Of Bithes, they'd better not screw this up, if the few episodes aren't at least favored to the originals, I'll be seriously ****ed off.

Posted by Velvet Nightmare

I remember when they showed the first 5 episodes on Toonami a few years back. In fact, it was one of the first things that I saw when we first started getting CA. I liked it then, and I'm confident that [AS] will be a good home for it.

Posted by Iris

Oh, phooey. Let's hope Cartoon Network doesn't completely ruin this one...

lol, nvm. I already know they will. :(

Posted by Klarth

Asuka turns out to be from Planet Gojerta Nine and has blonde hair in the Cartoon Network adaptation, right?

This news doesn't affect me as I live in France, have no TV connection, and own all the DVD's anyway.

Posted by Alastor

Well, [adult swim] got it, not Toonami. Therefore, Cartoon Network isn't really doing anything with it. Far as I know, Williams Street is pretty independent. They just air on CN is all. Besides, I'm not one who sees a dub and thinks it's shit compared to the Japanese version, because I never take the time and effort to find and download Japanese episodes on my slow-ass DSL. Reading through a bunch of subs and missing half the show doesn't really appeal to me. :(

Posted by Velvet Nightmare

Quoting Alastor: Well, [adult swim] got it, not Toonami. Therefore, Cartoon Network isn't really doing anything with it. Far as I know, Williams Street is pretty independent. (

They are in fact a subsideary of CN, and are not in fact a part of it. Last I heard, the rumble in the biz was that Turner was considering [AS] to become a seperate network.

Posted by Tolanya

I've never seen it, but does anyone know how they're gonig to fit it in? I've just started watching the anime they have now (I got a little sick of Gungrave re-runs) and I don't want them to take any of it away. I doubt they will, though I know so little about anime.

Posted by boomstick

Quoting Velvet Nightmare: I remember when they showed the first 5 episodes on Toonami a few years back. In fact, it was one of the first things that I saw when we first started getting CA. I liked it then, and I'm confident that [AS] will be a good home for it.

It may be not be as bad as that sorry Toonami block, but Adult Swim does it's fair share of editing, if you watch the original Cowboy Bebop anime and then watch through the AS version, you'll see alot of big differences in them, espically some of the conversations.

That's exactly what Evangelion does not need, it's very philoshy driven, as well as very character driven, if even a little of that is edited out or screwed around with, it begins to fall out from under itself, like DBZ was.

If anything, I'm prefer Evangelion go to either Anime Unleashed on G4, because they usually make good translations and usually don't fuck with the characters or character developments, two key elements in Evangelion.

And even if Adult Swim isn't part of CN, as long as it airs there, they go by CN's rules.

I'll give that there's a possiblity that AS will be able to slip by without editing much or anything hugely significant, but it stills unnerves me to see it fall into the hands of a block that currently airs on CN.

Posted by loony636

What is adult swim? I've heard a bit about it, but I have no real idea what it is...

Posted by Alastor

Late night block on Cartoon Network that runs from 11 PM to 6 AM. It's about the only time of day when Cartoon Network is ever funny.

[url]www.adultswim.com[/url]

Posted by Hyper

Eh, I won't be watching it. NGE is my favorite anime, but I have the DVD's, and I don't like [AS] that much anymore. Besides, if I want to hear it in English, my DVD's'll do. Unedited, at that.

Posted by The Joker

You know it's not fair that there is adult swim. They need to make children swim! Then the childrin could watch Evangelion too!

Posted by Mystic Hero

It is very likely they will edit the series, since only a certain amount of animated violence and language are permitted in Adult Swim shows, so it is very likely that some people may not like the idea of it being aired on CN. So I for one am not looking forward to it. I did recieve loads of birthday cash however, so I'll be buying the whole series on DVD very sson and won't have to wait for it to be aired on CN.