AIM

Posted by The Judge

I just got a computer at my work, which I'm on right now. I'm trying to use AIM, which I just downloaded, but lo, it's not working for some reason. If anyone could give suggestions, that'd be great. It is Windows XP and it's hooked up to a DSL link I believe.

Posted by Alastor

Only thing I can think of is that maybe it's being blocked by a firewall. I'm on XP and connected through DSL, and mine runs fine. What exactly is the problem?

Posted by Trigger

Define "not working". I also assume that you have attempted to uninstall and re-install AIM, rebooting in between these two actions. You could always try Trillian and connect to your AIM account that way - it is what I do, but I do it for convenience and the fact that it uses significantly less system resources.

Posted by The Judge

It says "AIM service cannot be reached" after failing to get past "step 1" of the connection process.

Posted by Wicked Sushi

Why would you download AIM on a work computer when you have this:

http://aimexpress.aol.com/

Posted by Trigger

Does your workplace currently have firewalls put in place? Chances are the use of such services is being denied by the server computer or a firewall on your actual workstation.

Posted by Ant

Why are you going on AIM at work?

Posted by The Judge

Trigger: The person who hooked up my computer said he didn't care if I used AIM, so I would assume that it's capable of working (note that was serious, not a sarcastic remark)

Ant: So I can stare at it and say "lol I have AIM" (that WAS a sarcastic remark)

Posted by Trigger

[quote=The Judge]The person who hooked up my computer said he didn't care if I used AIM, so I would assume that it's capable of working...
Yeah, I never implied that your 'boss' or whoever he is had said you couldn't but simply AIM can easily be denied access in a Firewall or Server merely because it hasn't been used before and therefore its ports and access rights have never been set. My question really was just asking if there was a firewall installed or not: regardless of whether they care or not, something could still be blocking you based on the systems current settings.

Posted by loony636

Get Trillian, although it rediculously cuts down the features of AIM, its another option. It also allows you to use MSN, YIM, ICQ and AIM in the same program. As I said before, it could work....

Posted by Trigger

I use Trillian, it actually is pretty good. The only features it really lacks is the preferences that the other programs have, but they're so unimportant and seldomly used that it doesn't matter. Not only does Trillian allow you to connect to more than one service in one program, it uses far less resources too. For example, the genuine AIM and MSN Messenger clients take around 12MB of system memory each; right now, Trillian is using 4MB and it is connected to MSN, AIM, Yahoo! and IRC. It fluctuates of course, the amount it consumes increases and decreases but it always manages to be less than AIM and MSN put together. If you were to use the real clients of every service you used, you'd be wasting so much RAM.

Posted by The Judge

K, found out it's some sort of like Firewall +. The guy here is a computer expert and says no program out there gets past it, and myself not being very computer saavy, I'm gonna believe him. Funny, he has a way to hack into every computer at work, so he could possibly be watching me right now.

Posted by Sneak

Ah I know exactly what your problem is. I had the same problem. My aim and msn wouldn't log on. I have dsl and windows xp to. Did you put a password on your useraccount? That was my problem. For some reason with windows xp, if you don't have a password on your account some security settings mess up. If you already had a password then I would assume it would be a firewall setting.

Posted by The Judge

Does anyone know the link to Trillian, if that actually can pass the firewall.

Posted by Sneak

[url="http://www.download.com/3000-2150-10047473.html?part=trillian&subj=dlpagtag=button"]http://www.download.com/3000-2150-10047473.html?part=trillian&subj=dlpagtag=button[/url]

Posted by The Judge

Still a failure.

Posted by NegatveTrend

Most corporate firewalls do not allow chat clients, among other things such as P2P, to access the internet. It blocks specific ports vital to the AIM, MSN, Yahoo!, and other services, so you simply will not be making a connection whether or not the IT person said you could use them.

Trillian didn't work either because it still uses the same ports and tries to connect to the same address as AIM would. If the IT guy can configure the software to use open ports on the network, it will most likely work (unless the firewall specifically blocked the software in it's entirety from connecting).