Broadband problem

Posted by higbvuyb

I have a broadband connection through a DSL-302G with an XP computer connected to the ethernet port and a windows 98 computer connected to the usb port. On the XP computer, (IP address 10.1.1.3) to get the internet to work, I have to disable and enable the connection, repair the connection, and/or turn the modem on and off multiple times to get the internet to work.
Sometimes it says "Automatic private address" and the IP address becomes something really random.

How do I get the internet to work properly?

Posted by Trigger

[url=http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/wxpadcon.htm]This[/url] website may help you sort out how to properly set up your Internet Connection. I don't use high-speed Internet, so I can't tell you exactly how I would have done it but I hope that website helps. If that doesn't help you as much as you'd like, then [url=http://www.tiscali.co.uk/help/broadband/xpdun.html?received=1]this[/url] website may give you the information that you're after. I'm sorry that I'm not much more help than that but I do hope the links I provided will help you solve your problem. If not, I'm sure someone else can help.

Posted by NegativeTrend

You can't use two connections on one modem. You're going to have to find a router. If you are trying to communicate between the two computers without the internet you will need to make a new cable for that. http://yoda.uvi.edu/InfoTech/rj45.htm If you still need help finding a router check [url]www.dslreports.com[/url].

Posted by higbvuyb

I think it is a router.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

You shouldn't be plugging anything into the usb port...You do know how to properly connect the modem and router, right? I don't know how DSL works, and it isn't the same, but when I've had that problem, it was because my ISP set me up in the incorrect sector.

Posted by higbvuyb

The manual said you could connedt two pcs at once.
One thourgh the ethernet port and one through the usb.

Posted by Osic

That seems very weird for a router 2 only allow 2 PC's. Its likely its only ment to have 1 computer at a time.

It looks like your problem is more likely to be a IP problem. Make sure
Start>control panel>Network connections(right click on your LAN connection)>Properties> click on Internet prtocol (TCP/IP) then propertys, make sure use automatic IP and DNS servers are selected.

Posted by Hyper

I'm using a wireless router right now so that the comptuer in the other room can have internet as well. Works great. I think I'm overlooking your problem, though.

Posted by Osic

After reading the manual looks like you cant use both ethernet and USB. Althogh it isnt very specific. Looks like your up for a router. I have a modem with built in 4 port router so its easy for me but Im not sure if you can just use a switch.

The USB only simulates an ethernet connection and sence you only have 1 port it wont work properly, looks like both computers are fighting over the IP address.

Posted by higbvuyb

No, the manual says I can connect two computers. and the IPs are different.

Posted by Trigger

Quoting higbvuyb: No, the manual says I can connect two computers. and the IPs are different.

[quote=D-Link]Two computers can simultaneously connect to the DSL-302G through its USB and Ethernet port to share its high-speed Internet connection. You can connect to its Ethernet port regardless of the operating system you are using, or connect to its USB port to allow easy installation to a USB equipped computer running 98SE, Me, 2K, XP, or Mac OS 9 and OS X[url=http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=67]...[/url]
You have to choose between one or the other, according to them, in which case, you'll need a router for the second computer.

Furthermore, a customer "success story" confirms you'll need a router:

[quote=Customer Success Story]Never had much luck in the past setting up networks,no problem at all with DSL-302G and DI-624 Wireless Router. So so easy to setup. Thanks D-Link!

In both quotes, I've bolded the relevant information you should pay attention to. Also, if anyone is after this product's install guide to help higbvuyb better, click [url=http://www.dlink.com/products/support.asp?pid=67&sec=0#quickInstallGuides]here[/url].

Posted by sniper

Yar, just get some cheapo router and a length of ethernet cable and you're set.

Posted by higbvuyb

but omg, it worked for several months with two computers.

Posted by Trigger

Well omg, say that next time!

Posted by higbvuyb

well anyway, from your quote: Two computers can simultaneously connect to the DSL-302G through its USB and Ethernet port to share its high-speed Internet connection.

simultaneously.

Posted by Trigger

I think that it means "two computers can be connected at the same time through the USB and Ethernet" in the sense that if you don't want to use USB to connect, they provide the Ethernet as an alternative, like on a "we have option A and option B to choose from" basis. Are you certain that you're even following the manual properly? I mean, we're throwing you solutions but you keep referring to what the manual apparently says. If you're not willing to listen to any of us or read things on the Internet for yourself, then read that manual you preach about and follow its instructions. We can't help you if you aren't willing to listen and accept it may actually be the answer.

Posted by higbvuyb

I don't think it's because of the "two computers" thing. It must be something else.