Computer trouble...

Posted by Hyper_chao1122

Sorry for spamming guys, but I have something wrong with my computer...I want to see if any of you guys can fix this. I lost alot of my computer's basic, but important, files. I have anti-virus protection and the files were still missing. The files I'm missing are Paint, Notepad, Calculator, Word, Excel, Windows Media Player, Internet Explorer (using aol right now), Powerpoint, and the Games, such has Minesweeper, Solitare. Microsoft's website didn't help much, except that the files had to be deleted for them to be missing. That must mean my mom or my brother deleted these files. Do any of you guy's know where I can download these files again? ( At least paint, I can't sprite without paint!!!!!!!!!!!!) Any suggestions will be appreciated and you will receive rep!!! (If you help fixed the missing items solution) EDIT:In case you need to know, I have a Windows XP Home Edition.

Posted by TopgunFFX

you can always download photoshop from the adobe main site which is better than paint and the games like solitiare i can't find the ones that come with windows i can only find others like solsuite and such, and windows media player can be found on the microsoft main site, powerpoint comes with micrsoft office(not with your computer) if you have the discs for that you can install it from that, and just search around for the others thats all i can say .....hope it helps

Posted by Sneak

Download firefox. It is better than internet explorer. You can download all those games again. Download microsoft word and the other microsoft applications. and paint sucks. Photoshop is better.

Posted by higbvuyb

Put in your windows XP CD, and then then go to Add/Remove Programs in the control panel. Go to the second button on the left.

Otherwise, boot from a floppy, and type "Format C:".

Posted by TopgunFFX

well i dont appreciate being called a retard and you can dl a free trial verision of photoshop on the adobe site legally......

Posted by Trigger

That doesn't solve his issue about missing several Windows components though, Topgun. He's asking us how to retreive back these files, not receive recommendations of alternative programs to use.

Higbvuyb really has solved the issue for now though; inserting your original Windows CD will restore programs such as Paint, Calculator, Notepad, Internet Explorer, Windows Media Player and any games with you chose to install default with Windows. As for Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint and so forth, you will need to insert your Microsoft Office CD and perform either a repair or a fresh installation of the Office Suite. If you do not have the latest versions of Windows Media Player or Internet Explorer, the latest version of Windows Media Player can be downloaded freely [url=http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/download/]here[/url], whilst the latest version of Internet Explorer can be downloaded freely [url=http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/]here[/url].

Posted by Sneak

dude. You can download photoshop to lol. In germany its not illegal. You can just download the trial and change it so the time never runs out.

Posted by TopgunFFX

Quoting Sneak: You can just download the trial and change it so the time never runs out.

that part is illegal but it didnt stop me =]

Posted by Sneak

exactly. Everybody does it. It is illegal but nobody enforces it.

Posted by NegatveTrend

Like Trigger said, the purpose of his inquiry wasn't asking for alternative software, he wanted the originals back.

Hyper, check C:\Windows\system32 and look for files such as Spider.exe, sol.exe, etc, as those are the games you are missing. If you're lucky, just the shortcuts have been deleted and you still have the actual files.

As for Paint, go to Start, Run, and type in "mspaint" without quotes. If it's able to open up Paint, you still have it on your system, and you just need to create a new shortcut to it.

Check C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11* and look for Winword.exe, and the other files. Maybe those shortcuts just got erased, too. If you don't see those files, you will have to reinstall the office suite as Trigger has pointed out.

If your games and whatnot are missing, just pop back in the Windows XP CD (or "Recovery Disc for Operating System" and follow higs advice.

Posted by Sneak

...he just said it didnt stop him if it was illegal or not.

Posted by NegativeTrend

He wasn't even the thread starter...