What Happened

Posted by project101

I dont know about yall but I've started to notice the down fall of RPGs with the coming of the new systems I'm hopping the Next Gen. systems will do better but then again maybe its juss me....tell me if you agree

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

It all really depends on the developer. Recently, Atlus has been doing great, or so I think. And although this certainly doesn't pertain to all, RPG's, in general, have been getting less enthralling. Companies spend too much effort on graphics, completely forgetting about the storyline. And sure, voice acting can be great, if done properly. Unfortunately, that isn't always the case. Also, I've noticed storylines taking less and less time to play through, which is disappointing. I enjoy a long, twisted plot that holds my interest for more than twenty hours.

Posted by El Capitan

Yeah, thats something I would agree and disagree with. I love the CGI on all the RPGS and Square is known for it as well. Games would pump out alot quick with less CGI scenes. I wish someone would make a game with all CGI while making it a good game overall. Thats sounds like a ten year project though.

Posted by Black_Wolf

Well, I think I tried to say something about RPGs in the last thread I posted in, but I don't think I quite put it right b/c I was kinda doing 4 or 5 things at once, but here's my take on the RPG situation.

In short, I think that turn-based RPGs, and maybe even strategy RPGs, are on the verge of extinction. Which is quite sad. And I think that the blame can be rested upon the shift of gaming from a dorky hobby to a household name. I think I'd be hardpressed to find any house with kids without a videogame system. So that means that the videogame industry has now become alot about making money. Not everyone, which is why we get great games like Shadow of the Colossus and *** of War, but companies like EA are in it to make the big bucks.

And they're doing it by relating to the majority of gamers, which isn't people who play RPGs. I think that most companies know that RPGs aren't going to sell the amount of copies that a sports or FPS game will unless its a brand name like Final Fantasy and the time and money they invest to an RPG just won't payoff in the long run. Which is a shame, because RPGs are by far the best genre and have to potential to bring the most relatable characters, magical places and the best stories in gaming.

Hopefully Final Fantasy XII will have an impact on the industry and hopefully it will make other companies (I'm looking at u Capcom & Konami) to revive, and hell, even put some effort into thier old RPG series. The uncertain future of the RPG is kinda scary to me, but all we can do is wait I guess.

Posted by Acheron

There's no downfall of RPGs. Dragon Age should come out in a year or two. That's enough reason for me to keep faith.

Posted by Xenos

KH: COM was a dissapointment at least on Square's behalf, but from what I've seen from KH II, it looks great. As for FFXII, I really don't know, but then again, I haven't really cared for FF after IX, which was, in my opinion, the last FF that would have qualified as one.