What do you miss about RPGs?

Posted by Vampire Slayer

I miss the graphics from the playstation RPGs. I love the whole anime, cartoony look that games such as Xenogears and Final Fantasy VII had. I also miss the storylines. What is wrong the developers today. Can't they come up with something different?

Posted by Xenos

I miss the simple SNES games--it's just more fun to play with than the high tech crammy RPGs today.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

I miss the Baldur's Gate engine, graphics, witty answer choices, hilarious NPC's, and wonderful music. I need more BG. :(

Posted by Vampire Slayer

See....its thinks like that that the developers are for getting. I can't really remember the last time I heard something in a RPG that made me laugh to myself. I miss laughing and crying and RPG storylines.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

Play Baldur's Gate and Disgaea! :cookie:

Posted by Black_Wolf

I miss the time when RPGs were the cream of gaming. But, now since gaming has become a mainstream form of entertainment, there isn't much room for RPGs. To be honest, I would guess that the RPG is a genre that doesn't make developers much money, so therefore, they don't make em much anymore. I mean, RPGs take a lot of time to make, but sales have been terrible (I think).

I miss when RPGs told amazing stories with characters I cared about and graphics weren't a focus. I can't remember the last RPG, at least one on the current consoles, that I liked. I'm pretty sure RPGs will start to become few and far between now.

Posted by Masuyo T3h Ninja

I miss RPGs actually being good.

Posted by lamabb

I just miss rpg's
they have to make more!

Posted by Riku

Quoting lamabb: I just miss rpg's
they have to make more!

Quoting Masuyo T3h Ninja: I miss RPGs actually being good.

true dat!!! rpgs lately have been filled with such ridiculous things. well not just RPG but everything in general. like for instance it suddenly hit me how stupid anime is. people swing around 100 foot long swords and speeds faster than sound. words of advice for the world: MAKE THINGS PLAUSIBLE!!!!!!!

Posted by Lord of Spam

I miss having someone to DM.

Thats right, real RPGs are played with dice and paper.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Quoting Xenos: I miss the simple SNES games--it's just more fun to play with than the high tech crammy RPGs today.

I agree 100%. It's all about FF3, FF2, Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger...

[quote=Teh LoS]I miss having someone to DM.

Thats right, real RPGs are played with dice and paper.
FCUK U

Posted by Lord of Spam

pen+paper>elcetronic

A cd/game cartridge can only hold so much, but the human mind has no limits.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Sometimes, you're right, I guess.

I played AD&D in high school, but it's no fun if you're by yourself.

However, I can enjoy a good few rounds of Final Fantasy Tactics no matter who is around.

Posted by Acheron

Quoting Lord of Spam: A cd/game cartridge can only hold so much, but the human mind has no limits.

While the mind can construct masterfully made and RP'ed adventures, it can also construct a 12-level Kobold Psion that can raise his ability scores to 200,010 and 10,000 Drizzt Do'urden clone characters. You win some, you lose some.

Also, I encourage those whining about the lack of good stories to shut up. You are obviously not playing the right RPGs. In recent terms, the Knights of the Old Republic series has absolutely beautiful stories.

Posted by GameMiestro

I miss really tough bosses.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Which is why playing paper based verions is better. If the DM sees that a challenge that was supposed to be difficult is turnign out to be a breeze, he can ramp up the level of difficulty, or vice versa.

Posted by Angerion the Brave

I miss good secret areas, weapons and characters. Most RPG's now have only one, two or just don't have any at all, and more often then not the secrets in those RPG's are lame.

Posted by Psi_Agent_X

have any of you played "super mario RPG:legend of the 7 stars"?
because that a great RPG game for the NES.
The music,plot and graphics were great!
plus... there`s lots of secrets in the game.
if don`t have it, you should buy it!
trust me you`ll enjoy it.
now THAT`s an example of a great RPG game

Posted by Hammered On

I miss creativity and focus on gameplay rather than stupid graphics. RPG's nowadays are so boring and repetitive.. tis a shame.

Posted by GameMiestro

How about good player vs. player multiplayer? That includes pen and paper games, dice rolling requires little skill.

Posted by Psi_Agent_X

Quoting Hammered On: I miss creativity and focus on gameplay rather than stupid graphics. RPG's nowadays are so boring and repetitive.. tis a shame.

you know something... i think there will be a day when an RPG game will have super realistic graphics,super intense and emotional story line and wicked music!!!

but what i`m saying...
it might be just a dream.
(sigh)

Posted by Acheron

Quoting Psi_Agent_X: you know something... i think there will be a day when an RPG game will have super realistic graphics,super intense and emotional story line and wicked music!!!

Because we all know that THAT'S what makes a good RPG. Not, you know, the actual game part of it.

If you want a good storyline and nothing else, read a ****ing book.

Posted by Broken

I miss how long the good old RPG's were the new ones you can beat so fast :'( Sniff Sniff

Posted by Broken

FF7 Rules :)

Posted by GameMiestro

[quote=GameMiestro]How about good player vs. player multiplayer? That includes pen and paper games, dice rolling requires little skill.

[FONT='Times New Roman'][COLOR=#000000]Okay, I correct myself. One of my friends can roll a

Posted by Arczu

Playing Dragon Quest VIII was kinda a step back into what some RPG's may have been like. The monsters were really monsters. And in battle, they even sometimes wasted turns doing wiered things.

Example:

"Troll A is assessing the situation"

The problem with most RPG's is that, they seem to sacrifice story with a nice fight system. They should intergrate both, but I suppose that's kinda impossible...

Posted by Black_Wolf

Well, I guess the RPG gods read this thread, because we got Dragon Quest VIII. The game is such a testament to what an RPG can be. It has everything (except alot of playable characters, that's my fav. thing about RPGs). At one point in the game, you have to save a small kingdom b/c their King is in mourning from the loss of his wife. You don't have to battle an ancient spirit, discover an evil minion controlling the King, nothing of the sort. You simply have to make him discover the goods things about his life when his Queen was there. I really enjoyed that. I thought it said alot about the game developers.

But everything DQ8 has is just a nice return to all things RPG. Liek Arczu said, the monsters are awesome, all so different, and you really have to watch your *** in battle. The leveling up system rocks, the abilities rock, everything is great. If they keep pumping out RPGs like they have been and some choose to follow in the footsteps of DQ8, we should be in for some **** fine games.