Adjusting The "FAQ" To VGC's Standards

Posted by Arczu

Alright, here's what I'd like to see. Quite a few times, new members have been complaining that when they get flamed, derepped or banned for something they didn't know about, they may come up with a line like "But it wasn't written in the FAQ" every now and then.

Seeing how established the boards are, and the stickies about everything you can start out with upon fist join, wouldn't it make sense to update the FAQ specific to these boards? Extremely this one. It's so outdated, no wonder some people keep referring to it brashly.

I'm counting that it would not be too much work to do. I mean, it would contain a combination of all the information you can find in the BH&S Stickies and out of common sense. In fact, all the every so often "how i get avitari???? helllp!!" threads created there can be FOUND in the FAQ in [url=http://www.vgchat.com/faq.php?faq=vb_user_maintain#faq_vb_avatar_how]How do I get a picture under my usename?[/url] Link. Not to mention it gets stickied, and it still happens, but that's that thing.

If Jesse doesn't control the FAQ (In which case I assume he doesn't due to lack of interest), then would somebody like to give it revamping of a lifetime? Add notes such as "What may or may not be acceptable in this or that board" or "Why THIS got you banned". Something that would give a newbie an idea of how to start, should they happen to go through with it. I have a feeling nobody wants to do it, I can feel it. So this could be a side-job for somebody who wants to do it or I don't know... some kind of arrangement.

Of course... if the FAQ can't be changed because it's vB defaulted in... then there goes 4 minutes of my time. But this is at least worth consideration hey?

Posted by The Judge

Good idea!

*filler space*

The Judge Approves!

Posted by Jesse Smith

Standards???!!! What standards??!!! I never knew VGChat had any standards!!! If I had my way, this place would be n00bie Headquarters!!!! (Think king-of-da-wackos.com.) Hince I never make da rules or FAQs!!!! :D:D:D:D

Posted by Raptor

It would be most sensible to post all the forum rules, regulations, how-to guides, and general VGC-specific information in the FAQ section, using appropriate headings so that a precise piece of information is very easy and convenient to find. It can be done without too much effort, considering most of the info that would go in the FAQ section has already been written. As it is, the FAQ contains a bare minimum of information, and appears as if it's begging to be added to.

I would be willing to make the modifications, and I suspect a few others would be as well, but I doubt Jesse would go for the idea. Doing things logically essentially clashes with his philosophy.

Posted by Arczu

Even if Jessie objects the idea, I really don't think he wants "n00bies" to leave when they get fed up with breaking the rules, or doing stuff they didn't know anything about.

I'm pretty sure it can be done. Jessie should WANT to change that thing anyway. Especially if you don't have to write it yourself.

Posted by sabre

Hence the announcement. As it says, anyone's free to contribute if they want to.

Posted by maian

Sounds like a good idea.

ps

NO ONE TOUCH ARCZU'S REP, I HAVE PROUDLY RAISED IT TO 666.

Posted by G-Sides

Is The Duckfather's old rules/FAQ thread logged anywhere?

Posted by Jesse Smith

Quoting maian: NO ONE TOUCH ARCZU'S REP, I HAVE PROUDLY RAISED IT TO 666.

Bah!! I was ready to de-rep him, except some one else gave him more rep, Hince I didn't de-rep him. Hince he still has good rep. Hince he doesn't have da mark of da Beast. :D:D:D:D:D:D

Hence my *beep*. :D:D

Posted by Arczu

For cripes sake Jessie... STOP WHORING the rep power... it's crazy. "Mark of the beast".

That would have been like being hit by a lvl 98 Bolt when your only lv35...

And the FAQ: I meant the one at the top of each page, that general one, not the one in BH/S. (Click "FAQ" text)

Posted by sabre

I know. But, what you're describing is the purpose of the announcement FAQ; a freely updatable FAQ for frequently changing information as well as one more pertinent to the questions that are actually frequently asked on the board.

Posted by Arczu

That's true. And while most people catch that, some people may refer to that old default FAQ, then when they get busted, they complain about it not being there. I say that at the very least, give some of the basic information that applies to VGC, with a familiar voice rather than a generic one.

Then, surely a good person will notice the BH/S stuff and get even better.