RAM mystery

Posted by loony636

Well, after my dad bought 1.5 gb of ram to put in my computer. So, I decided to delete my pagefile because I didn't think that I needed it. I thought that because the transfer rate of ram is 8.6 gb/s (or something like that) and my hard disk transfer rate is 133 mb/s, you would think that only using the RAM would make the computer faster right? Right? Well, it didn't. It almost made it slower. I haven't put the pagefile back, because I wanted some advice on why it isn't performing faster even though it logically should be.

Posted by Trigger

Not all memory is placed on the RAM whenever it's free. Depending on what services you have running, what programs you multi-task with and how frequently the programs a being used, Windows will want to swap "unused" files to the hard drive so it can continue optimising system RAM for applications that require it. A lot of the time you'll find that your entire memory amount has not been consumed, yet Windows has started using the pagefile. It's just how it handles optimisation and allowing better performance; less work for the RAM seeing as it isn't constantly trying to manage everything at once, including the information you're hardly even using.

Posted by loony636

Well, I reactivated my pagefile and its back to normal speed. Thanks for the help Trigger!