Tenchi Muyo: Ryo-Ohki

Posted by Prince Shondronai

The first DVD just came out, and I must say that I'm pleased. Funimation actually hired most of the original cast from the good old Pioneer dub, and that made me stand up and cheer. I thought for sure they'd just use the crappy DBZ voice actors, but sure enough, Tenchi, Washu, Sasami, Ayeka, Nobuyuki, and Katsuhito were all voiced by the actors I grew to love in the original series. Ryoko's voice actress was a good second choice, if they couldn't get the original. She did the voice of Motoko from Love Hina. All-in-all a good production for the English dub.

As for the storyline of the show itself, it seems a little slow compared to the original series. I guess they figured "Hey, we've got all of these great established characters. Let's make sure everyone knows who they are, where they came from, what they do, and precisely how badly they want to get into Tenchi's pants." Throw in a plot twist or thirty for no particular reason, and that's the new series.

Posted by boomstick

Aww, Ryoko has a new American voice actress, ****, I really liked the American dub she had, too, probably one of the best American dubbed characters, the voice fit the character so well.

I'd heard of this, but nothing much, is it a new OVA or is it a full blown series? What's the story? Why in the name of *** did Pioneer sell the FUNimation?

Hurry and reply, must know of new Tenchi series.:drool:

It's actually a continuation of the original series, which is something that is unheard of for the Tenchi property, it seems to me. During the first episode, they show flashbacks of all of the episodes leading up to the revelation of Lady Tokimi, and then they just go off on a complete tangent with so many weird plot twists that they might as well have just started a new series. I'm sure they'll get back to the central storyline that revolves around Tokimi, Washu, and Tsunami eventually, but for now they're just mucking up the Jurai family trees (literally and figuratively). Weird, as I said, but still fun.

I have no idea why Pioneer (Geneon) didn't publish it in America, as I'm fairly certain they're the ones who produced it in Japan in the first place. Perhaps Anime News Network has some clues, but I'm too lazy to look for them.

Posted by Edoc'sil

New series? AWESOME!!!!!! I love this show. Do you have to buy it on dvd or is it on tv. Please let it be on tv. *prays*

Well, Cartoon Network liked the Tenchi before, so it's always possible that they'll pick up the new one. For right now, though, it's only on DVD.

Posted by boomstick

Quoting Prince Shondronai: Well, Cartoon Network liked the Tenchi before, so it's always possible that they'll pick up the new one. For right now, though, it's only on DVD.

Scary thought, because besides DBZ, the Tenchi series is probably the worst to be edited by CN.

There were a couple of episodes that they actually let bleed into the next half-hour of programming because they were so long, though. I thought that was pretty cool.

Posted by boomstick

But the content editing, oh ***, the content editing.

Posted by Poco

Um, CN shows unedited DBZ's at 10:30 out in Arizona. They're the English ones, but they are unedited. Maybe they'll do the same thing with Tenchi.

Posted by boomstick

Quoting Poco: Um, CN shows unedited DBZ's at 10:30 out in Arizona. They're the English ones, but they are unedited. Maybe they'll do the same thing with Tenchi.

No they do uncut episodes, not unedited, uncut just means it's the full episode(s), not really uncensored.

Posted by Text Attraction

Oh wow, it's out all ready? Usually i'm right on top of these things...But anyway, a part of me doesn't want it to be on CN, because I know they'll cut it up to heck. but it'd also be rather funny to see all the things they edit and take out of it. I still find the, "Oh silly! It's just a bathing suit, geez!" quite hillarious.

Posted by Poco

Quoting boomstick: No they do uncut episodes, not unedited, uncut just means it's the full episode(s), not really uncensored.

Some of the lighter stuff was uncensored. Like when Goku was in the home for infinite losers. The demon's shirt said "HELL" instead of "HFIL".

Posted by infernolism

here in connecticut we see dbz japanese unedited episodes in english at 10:30 their not bad we should do dat to tenchi

Posted by boomstick

Quoting infernolism: here in connecticut we see dbz japanese unedited episodes in english at 10:30 their not bad we should do dat to tenchi

We just over that, Uncut, not fully unedied, there is a difference.