Will the Xbox 360 play Xbox games?

Posted by Azen Zukori

Like the Ps2 does with Ps1 games? I was just wondering if anyone had an idea... (Sorry if this is a repeated post.)

Posted by Axis

Well, Microsoft keeps saying "Xbox Top Titles" so it doesn't look like it will be fully backwards compatible like the Revolution and PS3 will be. Who knows what MS will pull out though.

Posted by Klarth

The Revo's not exactly gonna be backwards compatible, seeing as it can only take ROMs of the old games. :)

Posted by boomstick

Quoting Klarth: The Revo's not exactly gonna be backwards compatible, seeing as it can only take ROMs of the old games. :)

Except GCN, Rev. is suppose to be able to play GCN discs.

Posted by VirtualRealityZone

I think the Xbox 360 will be backwards compatible with the original Xbox games.

Posted by Shanuti Aborina

Quoting boomstick: Except GCN, Rev. is suppose to be able to play GCN discs.

[COLOR=LightBlue]
Yes, Revolution will play Gamecube discs. Thats what they had going on with the logo (Big disk, Small disck)

And why make a system only partly Backwards compatible. Pretty stupid if you ask me =/.[/COLOR]

~S.Aborina~

Posted by Klarth

Oh, I'm mistaken then. Looks like I'll be able to sell my GCN after all.

~master klarth mage 278 xxqx!~

Posted by Skitzo Control

Quoting Shanuti Aborina:
And why make a system only partly Backwards compatible. Pretty stupid if you ask me =/.

Because Microsoft doesn't care about the games that go unplayed. They're going to program the 360 to specifically play only the games that sold well and/or the popular Xbox Live games. You can expect games like Ninja Gaiden, Dead or Alive 3, Splinter Cell, and others won't be playable on the 360, but Halo 2, Dead or Alive Ultimate, Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, and the latest Madden game are sure things.

Posted by Shanuti Aborina

Quoting The Hammer: Because Microsoft doesn't care about the games that go unplayed. They're going to program the 360 to specifically play only the games that sold well and/or the popular Xbox Live games. You can expect games like Ninja Gaiden, Dead or Alive 3, Splinter Cell, and others won't be playable on the 360, but Halo 2, Dead or Alive Ultimate, Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, and the latest Madden game are sure things.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=LightBlue]I doubt it. 'Top Games' smells 'First Party'. A good amount of Xbox games are 3rd party =/.[/COLOR][/FONT]

~S.Aborina~

Posted by Klarth

If the 360's going to be able to play select games on the basis that it knows which ones to support, then I'm sure it'll be possible to mod the thing's firmware.

~evil death klarth man~

Posted by Velvet Nightmare

Quoting Klarth: If the 360's going to be able to play select games on the basis that it knows which ones to support, then I'm sure it'll be possible to mod the thing's firmware.

~evil death klarth man~

Team Xecuter has already stated that by Christmas time they should have something that can do this.

(*Note: Team Xecuter has designed most of the major mods on the console scene, most recently NO-UMD loader for Lumines on PSP)

Posted by Zeratul

There was a rumor going around that it will only play Greatest Hits but it would most likely be backwards compatible. But one of the silliest rumors ive heard is that the Sony Psp can hook up to it....

Posted by Speedfreak

It will be backwards compatible, it's just a few games won't work properly on the normal emulation, so they'll need patches. Eventually all games will work on 360, just at first only most of them will. The hard drive comes preinstalled with some patches anyway.

Posted by Skitzo Control

Quoting Shanuti Aborina]

Posted by Random

Honestly We don't know what will be and what won't be. What Microsoft said is that the Better Selling Games will be backwards Compatable.. But there are many Great Sellers. So how to choose? We're not sure and I wish everyone would just stop saying they know this and they know that. I've been working in Game Retailing now as of late which I love my Job ever so much, but we don't really know jack about it.

Posted by boomstick

This whole backwards compatible with only their Platinum Edition series thing just doesn't make sense to me and I personally feel it's a dumb move on the part of Microsoft, if you're going to make backwards compatibility with a console, why not go all the way and make the whole library compatible?

Posted by verystrait42

if it dosent play xbox games it will kill many fans. REVOLUTION RULES!!!!

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: REVOLUTION RULES!!!!

How could you say that at this point in time?

Posted by verystrait42

Quoting Vampiro: How could you say that at this point in time?

i can, will, and choose to

Posted by Random

Because he's queer and obviously chooses to show fanboyism. Sure that word doesn't exist who cares? He chooses a Console that we know hardly anything about.

Posted by CRONOfrog9

Microsoft is saying the most popular games will be backwards compatible and I saw a picture that supports that, but only time will tell.

Posted by Random

It'll be interesting to see. It's kind of dumb that they don't go full backwards compatible but at least they'll have some games.

Posted by Slade

...I'm willing to bet someone a dollar Halo 2 will be playable on Xbox 360.

Other than that, I am curious to see which games "they" will deem worthy.

Posted by Random

Probably mostly Platinum hits with a few other games like Halo 2 and what not will probably come over. but I am not too sure.

Posted by Master Chief 12

Quoting Sneak: I am pretty sure that it will be backward compatable. But wouldn't it suck if it wasn't lol? I don't think microsoft is that stupid...

[Font=Tahoma][Size=2][Color=Orange] Stupid? Microsoft won't see that as stupid. They'll see it as a trick to make more money. Make gamers buy Xbox 360 just to play sequeled games.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Posted by CRONOfrog9

Did anyone else see the pictures of the kid with the Xbox 360? Gamespot or someone had recieved pictures from a kid who recieved an Xbox 360 from his step-dad thats working on the Xbox 360. I think that microsoft let the pictures be posted to show that the 360 will be ready by holiday 05.

Posted by Random

They've Already Announced it to Come out November Dumb***. Of Course it'll be Ready by Holiday 05.

Posted by CRONOfrog9

yes i think so.

Posted by Random

Sorry for being kind of a D*che bag.. I admit i'm not the nicest person :-(

Its just that everyones known it should be out for Holiday 05 for almost a year now.

Posted by Feverus

I simply hope it is so i cna play my Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind game

Posted by RedLeprechaun90

I was reading in a Xbox magazine that the 360 will NOT play xbox games
only the PS3 and Revolution will be backwards compatible
the Revolution will be backwards compatible with the GC directly and every other Nintendo game ever made will be downloadable on the Revolutions Wi-fi service

Quoted post: I was reading in a Xbox magazine that the 360 will NOT play xbox games

Microsoft has said that some XB games will be carried over to the 360. Not all of them, but chances are, just the best of the best, and the ones that sold the most copies.

Posted by The underground

Some new news from reliable sources Cough cough " microsoft , bungie " Cough cough. Says that the xbox 3670 will be fully backwards compatable for both packages but of course you should buy the priemum cause the hard drive makes up the $100 difference.

Posted by Axis

Quoting The underground: Some new news from reliable sources Cough cough " microsoft , bungie " Cough cough. Says that the xbox 3670 will be fully backwards compatable for both packages but of course you should buy the priemum cause the hard drive makes up the $100 difference.

I think you have to have a hardrive to play your Xbox games.

Posted by The underground

Quoting Axis: I think you have to have a hardrive to play your Xbox games.

and your are correct sir that is why i said the harddrive makes up the $100 difference.

Posted by BlackOps

Well, that sucks. You have to buy some new equipment just to play your old games?

Quoted post: Well, that sucks. You have to buy some new equipment just to play your old games?

Just avoid the core package.

Posted by Axis

Trust me, the Premium package is worth it.

Posted by Random

Yeah I have mine fully paid off where I work. I can't wait to get a hold of my 360. I'm going to cream myself thinking about it. I didn't put any money down on Games because quite frankly i'm not sure what to get. I can only afford 1 Game for the time being. Of course with the backwards compatibility i'll be able to play my Xbox Favorites like: KOTOR, Halo 1, Halo 2, KOTOR 2, Ninja Gaiden Etc. So I won't be upset if I can only afford 1 360 Game. It'll probably be oblivion which will keep me satisfied for a long time. I mean c'mon did anyone play MorroWind? You want to talk about a Long *** Game, it's MorroWind. There is Months of Gameplay. I hope Oblivion has that lengthy play aswell. Those are the Great Games with the Replay Value plus Long Playtime normally.

Posted by Pavlov

I've read in gamepro that the Xbox 360 (the suped up version with wireless controller and better Xbox live) will be backwards compatible while the Xbox Core System (the $299.00 one) will not be able to.

Posted by Oforia

You must have a hardrive for the xbox to be backwards compatible according to xbox magazine. Pro package plus Perfect Dark Zero is a perfect buy.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=BlackOps]Well, that sucks. You have to buy some new equipment just to play your old games?

UH, THE OLD GAMES USED THE HARD DRIVE IN THE XBOX? SO THEY WOULDN'T WORK WITHOUT ONE?

Posted by verystrait42

ok, lets just settle on the fact that the XBox 360 will be backwards compatible. the XBox 3****ty (core version) will not

for the games, if you have enough money, go for ESIV:oblivion. i'll just be buying used halo 2