Okay, I'll bite... should game boards have "Official help threads"?

Posted by Admiral Anthrax

I'm talking about where you only ask for help in that thread, and all other help threads are deleted or merged with the original. If there's an "official help thread" for possible added convenience, but other threads are not deleted or merged with it, then that's fine, and that's something totally different.

The strict official help thread idea, though, is extremely confusing to newbies, and you can't just say "well they should read the rules". It's called convenience, and the board is not about US; it's about the regular members, because they are the ones who keep it alive. The influx of newbies provides fresh traffic for Jesse, and having them remain is as important as having them stay.

Besides, what newbie automatically reads the rules first? I bet almost none of you did.

Posted by Ex-Linkman

*changes vote*

No, they're positively annoying in System forums. BUT, in the game series boards, if the mods want to have them, then there's no problem with it. I remember in the Zelda board when Wind Waker came out, either Sauron or maian made a Wind Waker help thread that worked really well.

Posted by Jesse Smith

Or make tham, but do nothing to the threads made by newbies. (Answer there questions in there thread and don't delete/flame/merge them, and also have the big thread.)

Posted by sabre

[font=georgia][color=#ccff00]I tend to agree with TheMooChicken on this one.

Quoting TheMooChicken: Yes, but if you remember, we used to have a thread for Fr/Lg, and on the old boards there was a R/S help topic. I've seen what happened to this board in the absense of a mod, there were 432745982730 help threads created asking almost all the samn ****ed thing "Where is deoxys??? i r teh uba tr@!n3r!!11111oneonethreefur". After a while the whole first page was just spammed help threads. For the most part I have never seen this board have problems with the help thread.
In some boards it would just get unweildly. So, if the idea does go through, could there be an exception in the pok

Posted by Admiral Anthrax

Err, no. If the Deoxys question pops up over and over, just sticky a thread saying "HOW TO GET DEOXYS". This goes for any other extremely common question. Or hell, make a "Frequently asked in-game questions about (so and so game)" thread. Then if someone posts a common question, just say "Check the FAQ".