Japanese games and there American ports.

Posted by Vampire Slayer

I was wondering if you know of any rpgs that have been changed when they were ported to the U.S. I know that some of the content in some games is changed because it may offened church goers and what not. I was just wondering how many games they have changed when they ported them. The only one that I can think of off the top of my head is Xenogears for the playstation. So if you could please help me form a list of all the games that have been changed. Please include the name and the system that the game appeared on. Kind of like this

Game name: Xenogears
System: Playstation 1

Posted by Xenos

Xenogears? It wasn't even released in Europe because of them.

Terranigma wasn't realeased in the US because of them.

And games have been edited due to the higher moral issues in the US. Such as FFVII--which had strong implications, in the original version, that the two main characters had 'private' actions.

Posted by Dark

The Japanese version of FFIV had an easter egg bookshelf with softcore pr0n. I read it in a magazine.

Posted by Xenos

Oh yeah, in FFIV, there was also a strong implication that Rose and Cecil were having 'intimate contact' as well.

Posted by Vampire Slayer

Why do they change them? I don't see why just because the Japanese talk about *** being evil in some games Americans have to freak out. I guess maybe its because I don't believe in *** that I don't find a problem with it. But it seems kind of crazy to censore the games just because it said *** was evil and the church was a cover up. A perfect example of this is Xenogears. In Xenogears theres this think called the 'Ethos'. Their buildings look just like churchs, and in the game at one point it says that the 'Ethos' is fake. In the Japanese version the word was really church. So because of the fact that the game said that the church was fake. It got changed around. I just think its kind of crazy to censor something like that. I mean we can show killings on t.v. but a game can't say that the church is a lie!? It just seems really crazy. Americans need to grow up and realize that not everyone thinks *** is the real.

Posted by Boner

I have mentioned this game quite a few times lately. Mainly because it's an awesome game. Persona for the PS1. Only 2 versions of it were ever ported to the US. The content in the other versions just wouldn't float here. Too violent or something. *coughMortalKombatcough* In order for them to port it, they would have had to edit the hell out of it. So much, in fact, that it just wouldn't even be the same game. Personally, I would rather not see a game get ported than to get one that has, and has been stripped of most of its content. We will never have it as good as they do.

[URL=http://www.google.com/url?sa=U&start=2&q=http://psx.ign.com/articles/161/161990p1.html&e=10342]Here is a review of a ported US version.[/URL]

[URL=http://www.yoridori.org/oracle/tsumiusa.txt]Here is some info on why Persona: Innocent Sin was never ported to the US.[/URL]

The second link may shine some light on why a lot of games made in Japan don't get ported to the US. I have to admit, most of what the guy has to say makes a lot of sense.

Posted by Klarth

Tales of Phantasia please.

Posted by Ant

It's funny how it's vice versa sometimes. It took forever for the GTA series to get released in Japan.

Posted by Vampire Slayer

Whats really funny is that in America we can have a game where you blow a hookers head of with a sniper. But we can't have games that down talk the church and G0D. It just seems kind of funny that killing and rape on t.v. are ok but if G0D gets called fake the games gets booted from American shores.

Posted by Klarth

Hence there aren't any churches in GTA.