Recommend something to the above poster

Posted by Richaod

I won't make this as specific as Sabredog's previous one, but yeah, whatever. Just post stuff that you're looking for.

Personally, I'm very interested in progressive, symphonic, thrash and melodic death metal, especially combinations of the genres (particularly the first two). I just heard Viva Emptiness by Katatonia, and it's excellent.

Note: the first person to recommend me Therion gets a whipping.

Posted by higbvuyb

Therion!

Posted by Klarth

Good music.

Oh; and Rick? I was the one who made the last and only thread of this sort. Me. Not Sabredog. Thanks.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Majesty: Oh; and Rick? I was the one who made the last and only thread of this sort. Me. Not Sabredog. Thanks.

Oh, right. My last memory of this kind of thread was before the hack...

Anyway, thanks to higbvuyb for completely ruining it for me...

And I'll just have to recommend Dark Tranquillity. Character is a fantastic album, one my favourites this year. The New Build is a good place to start.

Posted by sabre

Anubis Gate.

Quoting Majesty: Oh; and Rick? I was the one who made the last and only thread of this sort. Me. Not Sabredog. Thanks.

Funny, I could have sworn I created a thread with the same idea only a lot more detailed in that I said that the participants should describe the sort of song they're interested in listening to more of. Guess I must have been dreaming.

Posted by Shade

Hm...Sex Pistols. ;)

Posted by Corrupt

BT. Fantastic artist that makes music that appeals to all kinds of people. There really isn't a single song by him that I don't like.

Posted by Tinkleheimer

Weird Al

Posted by Shade

Maybe...Chemical Brothers.

Posted by William

Hmm... Orbital.

Everyone should listen to some Orbital. :)

Posted by TheSecondComing

Well this thread went down the shitter pretty quick. The whole unique point was that you should describe the kind of recommendation you're after.

Posted by Tinkleheimer

Alien Ant Farm?

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Sabredog]Guess I must have been dreaming.

Evidently. Or perhaps I have amnesia.

I'll recommend Rush to Tinkleheimer, just because.

And I'm into metal and prog-rockish stuff.

Posted by Altinure

"it's gonna be me" by n'sync.

it's a good late teen pop era song and i think your rally like it.

Posted by Acheron

I'd reccomend Metric. They are soooooooooo fun.

Posted by Richaod

I know nothing about what you're looking for. So I'll just say In Flames. Moonshield, Jotun, Episode 666 and Embody The Invisible are pretty good starters.

Posted by Gollum

Draconian. They have some death-like vocals as well as female vocals, and their doom metal music is outstanding.

Posted by laminator

symphony x is some pretty rocking progressive metal

Posted by Richaod

If you like Symphony X, you'll probably like Adagio. They're more orchestral-based progressive metal, and the vocalists from both bands sound almost exactly the same. In fact, the bands in general are almost exact clones of each other. Their latest album Underworld is pretty good.

Posted by Raptor

"Star by Star" - The Kovenant. Very melodic, dreamy metal song.

Posted by Klarth

"Not Enough" by Waltari. Seeing as you used to be really into metal and now you like electronic stuff, this is kinda the best of both worlds.

Posted by Richaod

Katatonia. All the songs from the album Viva Emptiness are great, and in a rather subtle manner too, which you don't often get from such metal. It's sort of like gothic metal, but with a male vocalist (stated by someone who doesn't consider HIM's Ville Valo to be entirely male).

Posted by Acheron

I strongly reccomend Apocalyptica, but you've no doubt already heard their work. If you're willing to step outside the metal genre a bit, I think Death From Above 1979 would be great for you.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Acheron: I strongly reccomend Apocalyptica, but you've no doubt already heard their work. If you're willing to step outside the metal genre a bit, I think Death From Above 1979 would be great for you.

Hehe, I'm quite interested in stuff other than metal, particularly late Silverchair. Which is what I may as well recommend to you. The entire Diorama album is just a masterpiece; Across The Night, Without You, Tuna In The Brine and Luv Your Life being particularly good.

Posted by Gollum

I'd recommend Memento Mori's Rhymes of Lunacy album. Great doom album. I was about to comment about how the singer sounds a lot like Messiah Marcolin from Candlemass when I looked it up in the metal archives and found out it's the same guy. An interesting tidbit about the name:

"Memento mori is a Latin phrase that means "Remember that you must die" (or literally "remember mortality"), which is to remind people of their own mortality."

Posted by Richaod

You'd probably enjoy the album Mabool by Orphaned Land, I think they're an Israeli progressive metal band, and their music has some Middle Eastern influences. It's an incredibly epic concept album about the Bibilical flood, and I've only heard one song from it so far. :p

Posted by Shin_Akuma

Can somebody reccomend me a good symphonic type metal?

Posted by sabre

Freedom Call is Power, but should appeal to fans of symph. Check them out, if you haven't already. Orion Riders songs are pretty hard to come by, but they're quite rad, too.

Posted by Gollum

For you Robby, I recommend Apocrypha. The first time I heard "Look to the Sun" I was like, "rob would like this".

Posted by Richaod

I mentioned Katatonia at the start of the page...

Posted by Mr_Hairball

^ Kiss' "God Gave Rock 'n' Roll To You" Excellent guitar work as well as vocals.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

I recommend anything non-metal, so you don't evolve into a narrowminded elitist like many others have. Metal's good, but there are a great deal other good bands in different genres than metal.

Posted by Mr_Hairball

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: I recommend anything non-metal, so you don't evolve into a narrowminded elitist like many others have. Metal's good, but there are a great deal other good bands in different genres than metal.

This is true, I myself am open to most kinds of rock.

Posted by Klarth

In which case I suggest Porcupine Tree if you don't already listen to them.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Just to add some goofiness and humor, I suggest you look into [url=www.mchawking.com]MC Hawking[/url].

Posted by Klarth

Already done so. Those songs went around school about a year ago. =p

And I recommend to mr I-hate-metal... Porcupine Tree.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Mr_Hairball: ^ Kiss' "God Gave Rock 'n' Roll To You" Excellent guitar work as well as vocals.

I lol'd

Klarth. Um, just wait for that 100+ megabyte file to get uploaded. Though if I do each song separately, I suppose it's not as likely to randomly screw up halfway through like it did the last time I tried.

With that said, Vintersorg. Progressive black metal owns. Mostly the non-black metal sections.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

already heard porcupine tree, I like em

Posted by The Punisher

Porcupine Tree are awsome. I have the song Chroloform stuck in my head.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: already heard porcupine tree, I like em

wow, THANKS FOR THE RECOMMENDATION. By the way, how's the new Eric Clapton album?

Punisher, you want to listen to some melodic death. In Flames, Dark Tranquillity and Into Eternity in particular.

Posted by mis0

I don't know how to suggest anything for a guy with as much music as Richoad... so I won't. Jack might want to give the Boom Boom Satellites a listen. All their albums have a unique sound, but their latest (the title escapes me) is my favourite by far.

Posted by Klarth

To Mis0, I recommend... Agalloch. Definitely my favourite band right now. Neofolk/doom.

And their album "The Mantle" is pretty easy to get into.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

Well, you've probably heard most of what I listen to, but if you haven't tried out Xandria, do it soon.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Misoxeny: I don't know how to suggest anything for a guy with as much music as Richoad... so I won't. Jack might want to give the Boom Boom Satellites a listen. All their albums have a unique sound, but their latest (the title escapes me) is my favourite by far.

whee.

You like Rammstein and Dream Theater. Okay. *scrolls through music*

Well, I'd recommend Orphaned Land to anyone. It's Israeli, progressive, symphonic and oriental (lol!!1! but Israel isn't in Asia!), sort of post-doomdeath in a way. The song "The Storm Still Rages" seriously owns.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

non-metal

Posted by Klarth

Estradasphere, I guess.

Posted by Jarulara

I know you decent enough to say you don't like hip hop. But Kanye West some song's you might like actually. I don't know.

Posted by NegativeTrend

Madlib, MF Doom, Jay Dilla, and all of thier side projects.

Posted by Porcupine

Dream Theater. LOL!!!

Posted by Shin-Ra

Song: "Pure Evil and Hate" by Behemoth off of their album And the Forests Dream Eternally. The song was made as a tribute to early Bathory and is far more relentless and aggressive than anything I've ever heard from Quorthon.

Someone recommend me some good neofolk or ambient music (any type, ritualistic or dark ambient would be best).

Posted by Jarulara

Kim - Eminem its a hate song so you might like it. I'm sorry Shin I don't know Rock etc. hate songs.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: non-metal

Let's take a look at iTunes.

A Perfect Circle
Akira Yamaoka
Anathema (later)
Apoptygma Berzerk
The Beatles
Blackmore's Night
The Cat Empire
Daft Punk
The Darkness
David Gilmour
Desert Sessions
The Dissociatives
Elton John
Eric Clapton (need that new album, DIDN'T I JUST ASK YOU ABOUT IT?)
Estradasphere
G3
Genesis
Guns N' Roses (glam... still isn't metal)
IQ
The Jimi Hendrix Experience
Joe Satriani
The John Butler Trio
Kyuss
Led Zeppelin
Living Colour
The Mars Volta
Mortiis (early)
Nitro (again, it's glam)
Pink Floyd
Queen
Radiohead
Rage Against The Machine
Rush
Silverchair
Silvertide
Steve Vai
Swans
The Tea Party
Tenacious D
Ulver (late)
Velvet Revolver
Yes

get the point? Okay, some of those are rock, but I really don't care. It's not metal. And you're supposed to contribute. [/rant]

Shin-Ra, try getting First Contact, Solarburn or Austral Spectrum by Alchemist, it's sort of psychedelic/progressive metal with occasional Mastodon-ish vocals. You may like it.

Soulja. Um, what got Gollum from Jay-Z into metal? I really have no idea. :(

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

I like how none of those mentioned, aside from a perfect circle/tool, are ever in the now-playing list. But hey, whatever's trendy, amiright? I remember the linkin park and AFI days too, you crowd follower, you.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

I will follow the rule of the thread. I am currently looking for some classical music with latin vocals. I'm all good as far as hymns go (it's all we sing at mass), but I"m interested in some good choral songs with or without a symphony that use latin vocals (not operas, if I can help it). This was inspired by playing Rome: Total War

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Shin-Ra: Song: "Pure Evil and Hate" by Behemoth off of their album And the Forests Dream Eternally. The song was made as a tribute to early Bathory and is far more relentless and aggressive than anything I've ever heard from Quorthon.

Someone recommend me some good neofolk or ambient music (any type, ritualistic or dark ambient would be best).

HI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And as for beej: I don't know where you'd find it, but there's a piece of music called the "Magnificat (Salisbury service)". If you search the interweb you might be able to find it.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: I like how none of those mentioned, aside from a perfect circle/tool, are ever in the now-playing list. But hey, whatever's trendy, amiright? I remember the linkin park and AFI days too, you crowd follower, you.

I never listened to AFI. Even so, at least Linkin Park was an okay stepping stone towards better music. I think of that as the good thing about nu-metal - at least it prepares you for actual, better metal. I know quite a few former Slipknot fans who now like Burzum and Slayer and wait that's not really a good thing.

They mostly haven't been in the Now Playing thing because I haven't played them a lot recently (the last time I listened to A Perfect Circle was ages ago, too). The other thing is that ever since I got my iPod, Audioscrobbler's been really inaccurate at depicting my played artists.

http://www.last.fm/user/Richaod - 363 Silverchair, 89 A Perfect Circle, 69 The Cat Empire, 53 The John Butler Trio, 32 The Dissociatives etc. If I was really part of a trend, I'd be listening to Green Day, AC/DC and Rammstein.

lol, you follow the rule of the thread by not recommending me anything. HOW IS THE NEW ERIC CLAPTON ALBUM? HOW MANY TIMES DO I NEED TO ASK YOU?

okay. Well, Adagio have some really classical choral sections and stuff. The starts of the songs Introitus/Solvet Saeclum In Fadilla, Underworld and Missa Aeterna are very symphonic, particularly the first one. That aside, they're like an exact carbon copy of Symphony X but more neo-classical and with more orchestra.

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Richaod]Well, Adagio have some really classical choral sections and stuff. The starts of the songs Introitus/Solvet Saeclum In Fadilla, Underworld and Missa Aeterna are very symphonic, particularly the first one. That aside, they're like an exact carbon copy of Symphony X but more neo-classical and with more orchestra.
that part.

Posted by Arwon

BJ, I assume you have the Carmina Burana by Carl Orff? What about Mozart's Requiem?

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

yes and yes, Arwon

and Richoad, Clapton's new album (I'm assuming that you mean Back Home) is decent, at best. It just doesn't have the bluesy depression that Clapton is known for which makes his music good, weird as that sounds, and just doesn't sound as good to me. Mediocre, is the best word. Ahem, mediocre for a clapton album, is the best way to put it.)
Thanks for the suggestions, and Arwon, yes and yes.