Playstation 3 Hard Disk To Be Sold Separately.

Posted by Axis

[quote=IGN]PS3 Hard Disk Sold Separately
Sony to keep hard disk separate from main system, according to magazine.
by Anoop Gantayat
June 30, 2005 - A recent issue of Famitsu contains confirmation that the PS3 will ship with a slot for a hard drive, but no actual hard drive included. The magazine has a feature in which all facets of the next generation systems are presented for the non-technically inclined (this is done through some hilarious cartoon drawings -- pick up issue 864 to see for yourself!). As part of a section detailing the hard disk functionality of the systems, the magazine states that, while Xbox 360 will ship with a 20 gigabyte hard disk included out of the box, the PS3 hard disk will be sold separately from the main system.

Sony Computer Entertainment has been hinting at this approach for some time now, but hasn't specifically stated its intentions one way or the other. In a recent interview with Nikkei Electronics, a bi-weekly electronics magazine in Japan, SCE president Ken Kutaragi hinted that we could expect an 80 gigabyte size for the PS3 hard disk. Given the added cost of such a large hard disk, Kutaragi's comments seemed to all but confirm that the device would be sold separately.

The question now turns to the cost of the hard disk peripheral. In Japan, Sony currently sells the PlayStation BB unit, which bundles a network adapter and 40 gigabyte hard disk together, for 12,800 yen.

Famitsu is a Japanese magazine, of course, so this confirmation applies only to the Japanese market. We'll have to wait for comment from Sony Computer Entertainment America on the possible stateside inclusion of a mass storage device with the PS3.
[b]Not necessarily bad by any means, but it's just kind of a letdown. I'm sure this will lower the price of the PS3, though.[/B]

Posted by loony636

I'm sure. I don't think that the hard disk in a console is really necessary, I mean I'm fine with my Gamecube memory card and the Xbox hard disk is really just overkill. But as it said in that article at the bottom, it only currently applies to the Japanese market. So maybe it won't be an international thing.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

I wonder if they'll have Squaresoft make one game for it, again, just so a few million knuckleheads need to pick it up instead of playing the PC version, as God intended.

Posted by Mmm.... GOOD!!!

[QUOTE=loony636]the Xbox hard disk is really just overkill.QUOTE]

Let me guess... your a nintendo boy rite... theres nothing wrong with it like nintendo to.. .but Xbox's Hard disk was perfect.

Posted by Random

The hard drive was and is a great idea. Especially if it's added to the system. Who wants crappy memory cards when you can have a hard drive that has just about infinite space? But then people brought up the question of: "Well what if you want to go to a friends house and play your game but not bring your xbox/ps2." Well thats why memory cards were made for things like the xbox. But now theres detachable hard drives.

Hard Drives>Crap Cards

This will lower Sony's price considerably depending on how much the HD is. But if anyone has intelligence that actually plans to play the PS3 a lot, they'd want to purchase the HD.

Posted by Darkbackward

Quoting Prince Shondronai: I wonder if they'll have Squaresoft make one game for it, again, just so a few million knuckleheads need to pick it up instead of playing the PC version, as God intended.

You are a sick person, you have been spouting off the same lame and incorrect joke for about 5 years now. One wonders when you would grow some testicles.

I HOPE SCEA ships with hard drive. But it doesn't matter either way, I'll still be getting one.

Posted by boomstick

Quoting SomebodyRandom: This will lower Sony's price considerably depending on how much the HD is. But if anyone has intelligence that actually plans to play the PS3 a lot, they'd want to purchase the HD.

Unless they decide to not play online and are fine buying a memory card.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Quoting Darkbackward: You are a sick person, you have been spouting off the same lame and incorrect joke for about 5 years now. One wonders when you would grow some testicles.

I HOPE SCEA ships with hard drive. But it doesn't matter either way, I'll still be getting one.

I've got enough balls to tell you it doesn't matter what one of the few million knuckleheads that I mentioned in my previous message say.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

I'd rather the hd be sold separately so I don't have to waste money on it in the beginning. I'd rather wait until the price drops.

Posted by Random

Quoting boomstick: Unless they decide to not play online and are fine buying a memory card.

Memory Cards can only hold so much space though. Take the PS2 for example. My best friend plays a lot of PS2. He has a lot of games he likes to play so he has multiple PS2 memory cards. I think 3 or 4. Pricing those at $25 each thats probably about $75 to $100. Where a PS2 hard drive when it was released came out for $50. now they're detachable so you can bring them anywhere like a memory card. If you plan on playing the PS2 a lot then I suggest the Hard Drive. Memory Cards cost too much and are insignificant comparitively.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: Memory Cards cost too much and are insignificant comparitively.

Indeed. I have six GC memory cards (and three PS2 cards), pretty much all full. It wasn't until they brought out their 1000 block card that I haven't had a problem.

Posted by rex-tc

Well I'll be happy with the PS3 as long as it has everything else they promised. Especially bluetooth, gigabit ethernet, RSX GPU, and Cell processor. Everything else is cake.

Posted by boomstick

Quoting SomebodyRandom: Memory Cards can only hold so much space though. Take the PS2 for example. My best friend plays a lot of PS2. He has a lot of games he likes to play so he has multiple PS2 memory cards. I think 3 or 4. Pricing those at $25 each thats probably about $75 to $100. Where a PS2 hard drive when it was released came out for $50. now they're detachable so you can bring them anywhere like a memory card. If you plan on playing the PS2 a lot then I suggest the Hard Drive. Memory Cards cost too much and are insignificant comparitively.

Hence why I said unless you don't mind buying memory cards.

Posted by Major Kitty

Yea about bringing the hard drive to a friends house... wouldnt you just like... okay say you got a character thatu wanna playwith in Co op an dhe has a character... memory cards would be better for that... hard drives just if you wanna say show your friend how much farther you are in a game than they are or for them to help you.

Posted by Random

All i'm saying is Memory Cards cost too much and aren't capable as much. It'd be stupid to purchase the Memory Cards. Probably the single reason why I plan on buying the Fully Loaded 360 over the Core. Memory Cards suck..

Posted by Lord of Spam

I'm jsut going to say this one more time.

If the system doesnt come with a harddrive, then the developers have to assume that not everyone will have it. In this case, they are almost guaranteed to not put in any content that requires it, as that would eliminate potential buyers.

Let me put it this way. The PS2 didnt have a built in hard drive, and the Xbox did. Now think about which system has more games that use the harddrive. The same goes for internet connectivity. 'Box had it, PS2 didnt, and the PS2 got raped in the online department.

Posted by nich

Terribly sorry to go off topic but all this talk of hard discs, hard drives and memory cards has got me thinking. Does anyone know what the Revolution will have in terms of memory storage?

Quoted post: Does anyone know what the Revolution will have in terms of memory storage?

Memory:

-1T-SRAM

-512 MB built-in expandable flash memory

Posted by nich

Sweet. Thanks Vampiro.

Posted by Jak Pattinson

40gigs is not bad i guess. nice information axis buddy.

Posted by boomstick

Quoting Lord of Spam: Let me put it this way. The PS2 didnt have a built in hard drive, and the Xbox did. Now think about which system has more games that use the harddrive. The same goes for internet connectivity. 'Box had it, PS2 didnt, and the PS2 got raped in the online department.

Raped? There's as many PS2 Online users as they're Xbox Live users.

Posted by Major Kitty

Yea but the PS2 online community isn't as organized therefore you can't keep up with your friend from game to game. Nor is it easy to find your friend.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Is there anyone who honestly thinks that the PS2 is as strong online as the 'box?

My point stands.

Posted by boomstick

Quoting Lord of Spam: Is there anyone who honestly thinks that the PS2 is as strong online as the 'box?

My point stands.

Well, if neither have solid lead in thier online program then it's as strong.

Maybe not as well done, but if they each have about the same amount of users...

Posted by Major Kitty

Thats bc most PS2 is free and u have to play to play on Xbox

Posted by boomstick

Quoting Major Kitty: Thats bc most PS2 is free and u have to play to play on Xbox

So, that's not the point, you can't say one program is 'raping' the other if they both are about even with registered users.

Posted by Major Kitty

true but still i ve played both and if you dont have SOCOM theres really no point to PS2 online I like it... but i just like Xbox Live bttr its way more organized and easier to find my friends

Posted by boomstick

Quoting Major Kitty: true but still i ve played both and if you dont have SOCOM theres really no point to PS2 online I like it... but i just like Xbox Live bttr its way more organized and easier to find my friends

God****it, that isn't my point, it's not rocket science, I'm not saying Live isn't more organized or whatever then PS2 Online, but since neither have a solid lead in users registered neither is 'raping' as LOS put it.

Posted by Major Kitty

ok ok calm down calm down calm down i see your point....

Posted by Lord of Spam

To be honest, I doubt that there are as many users on PS2, and if there are, the vast majority of them are most likely FF11 or SOCOM players. In fact, those are the only 2 games that I can think of that allow online play right now of fthe top of my head, whereas almost any Xbox game has some sort online play.

If you can show proof otherwise, rock on.

Quoted post: If you can show proof otherwise, rock on.

Indeed. I find it hard to believe. I know there's quite a few PS2 online enabled games, but I just can't see the community being as strong as XBL.

Posted by Major Kitty

thats bc its not

Posted by Lord of Spam

The only way I can see it is by counting FF11 users. :\

Posted by Random

The only PS2 game I ever played for my PS2, was Resident Evil Outbreak. It was kind of fun, but if someone used dial-up connection, you could tell. They'd be lagging all over the place and it'd make your experience less enjoyable. In any case it doesn't amount to Xbox Live.

Major Kitty... Eh lets see, how to put this in nice terms.. Are you mentally ok?

Posted by boomstick

Quoting Lord of Spam: If you can show proof otherwise, rock on.

You aren't exactly busting with proof yourself, you're doing nothing but speculate as I am, as well.

Quoted post: You aren't exactly busting with proof yourself, you're doing nothing but speculate as I am, as well.

You mean how many members have signed up to XBL? The last I heard was over 2 million. I rather large number that I can't see Sony beating with their current online capabilities.