New Revolution News: Controller and Price.

Posted by Axis

[quote=GameIndustry.biz]Fils-Aime
Illustration
Rob Fahey 14:06 30/06/2005

And Revolution is definitely set to be much cheaper than Xbox 360 and PS3

The secrecy-shrouded controller for the Nintendo Revolution console has been seen by a number of developers already, according to comments made byNintendo of America VP of sales and marketing Reggie Fils-Aime.

Speaking with US magazine EGM, the bombastic Fils-Aime revealed a little additional information about the console and its much talked about joypad - including the fact that just because "you and your fans haven't seen the controller doesn't mean that no one else has."

"The thing that I always find surprising, and certainly in the last year I've had wonderful opportunities to spend quality time with a number of our key third-party publishers, is when you sit down and share the innovation with them, just how excited they get," he said.

"I saw it firsthand with DS, we're seeing it now with Revolution," he continued.

Regarding the controller itself, Fils-Aime expanded on some of Nintendo president Satoru Iwata's hints about the design from his E3 presentation. "If you just think about it, we're going to have the ability through wireless internet to download all your great games from NES, SNES, N64," he said.

"Think about it - each of those controllers are different. How are you gonna play? That captured some of the imagination of what our controller needs to be able to do, and certainly as you get into the meat of that type of innovation with the developers, their eyes truly light up because they start to imagine what's possible with that kind of configuration, which is vastly different than a sheer horsepower kind of game."

Speaking more generally about the Revolution console, Fils-Aime also confirmed widespread speculation that the console will be launched at a significantly lower price point than its next-generation competitors, the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

"We have to assume that from a pricing standpoint, we will be substantially lower than the competition," he said, going on to say that this would be because the Revolution won't have "all of that added fluff that a gamer, frankly, doesn't [want] - it's not core to gaming."

Many commentators expect Nintendo to announce further details of the Revolution this August, a month when the company has traditionally made at least one major announcement over the last few years.

Sounds pretty cool whatever the controller is going to be. Now I can't wait for August to see if they make any announcements.

Posted by Random

Aslong as it's not the Dreamcast Controller, I think we'll manage.

Posted by ernie

I just want it to be confortatable.

Posted by Hyper

Oooh, those comments just add to my theory. No, Speedy, I didn't steal it from you or anything :mad:

Posted by Speedfreak

I THINK YOU'RE LYING.

Posted by TendoAddict

Meh, nothing to new. Except we know the revolution is going to be cheaper by defalt. And the revolution controler is out their. It would be nice if we could get more of an idea but Im not going to push it.

Posted by speedemon35

This is defenitly the console i'm goint to buy as soon as it hits the stores

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Nothing I already knew. Reggie just repeated himself and confirmed what we all already knew, a cheaper console. Meh.

Posted by Random

We don't "Know" this. We speculate. Until it's either Released or Nintendo gives a solid Number, we know nothing. I'm getting a little tired of people "knowing" more then what meets the eye.

Posted by Pit

Quoting SomebodyRandom: We don't "Know" this.

No, we knew.

Posted by Axis

Oh, well I didn't know this stuff. :(

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting SomebodyRandom: Aslong as it's not the Dreamcast Controller, I think we'll manage.

Agreed, or any other Batman gadget. :(

Posted by Speedfreak

Must resist the urge to refer to the PS3 controller...

Posted by Burrito

Still, it helps comfirm what we already knew.

On the subject of revolution news:
[Quote=http://cube.ign.com/articles/630/630533p1.html]Nintendo held a share holders' meeting on the 29th, fielding questions from concerned parties on its upcoming plans, including Revolution. Company president Satoru Iwata was asked to comment on worries that the next generation system would see release after its competitors, to which Iwata replied, "It won't be extremely late, but it's possible that it will trail a little."

The company has stated in the past that it will not lag behind the competition in the next generation, revising the statement last year to specifically focus on Sony and the PlayStation 3. Sony is expected to release the PS3 to Japan in Spring, with a US release to follow.

Iwata also revealed that Nintendo is currently finalizing its lineup for the Revolution, planning the order and release periods for key titles.

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting Speedfreak: Must resist the urge to refer to the PS3 controller...

I already did. That's why I made that comment.

Posted by Speedfreak

Oh, right, thought you meant the Dreamcast controller was a Batman gadget. VMU, maybe. Smeg I'm tired.

Posted by Random

Ugh sorry Vampiro if you were trying to De Rep me.. If you want get someone else to de rep me :-P

Yeah the PS3 Controller.. Sorta does look like a batman gadget.. it's long.. black sticks that look like wings.. sorta reminds me of his grappler.

Posted by Burrito

I'm pretty sure that it's the batarang.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: Ugh sorry Vampiro if you were trying to De Rep me.. If you want get someone else to de rep me :-P

I was, I have no idea whether you were trying to be ******* or what, but you knew exactly what everyone meant.

Anyways, looks like Majesty covered it for me.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

A pretty neat-o new mock-up someone made.

Posted by Speedfreak

The picture's well done. The idea, uh, isn't.

Posted by Arczu

[FONT=tIMES nEW rOMAN]Even so, that would be a bit of a unique controller, but I can imagin people loosing half the freaking controller...

The price of the controller can't be that high though. I mean, usually controllers go for less than $30 in most cases. These ones could be $40.
[/font]