Buggy Controller...

Posted by inequity

Ok, I have had a copy of perfect dark in my collection for quite some time now, and just yesterday I started playing it. But not to long until I started playing did the controller start spazzing out on me, ruining the game for me. The character would start spinning around or walking foward on its own. Pulling the controller out of the system and plugging it back in fixes the problem for a few minutes, but it will eventually start up again. Is the problem the controller? Or the N64 itself?

Never before has a controller given me so much trouble and frustration.

Posted by Wicked Sushi

When that happens, let go the analog stick and press: L+R+Start for three seconds. It will recalibrate your controller.

I hope it helps.

Posted by legov8

That is the controller, not the system. Happens to me all the time. Like the other guy said hold START, L, and R for like a second or so and it should work. It might also help if you clean the stick and the area around it.

Posted by inequity

Well, the L + R + Start thing works. It gives me the same effect from pulling out the plug and putting it back in. It still acts up though.

Quoting legov8: It might also help if you clean the stick and the area around it.

Ill try that as well.

Posted by D.J Cat

Yeah, that is what is here between me and all my friends called
"Controller Problem!..."

As has already been mentioned, just hold in L,R + Start when you get the problem and it should be fixed within a second.
If you want to do it without pausing the game hold in L + R together then press START while still holding L and R.
Then let go of START,then let go of L + R and you should be all good.
All that only takes about a second or so.

Still, its quite annoying, you can try taking the controller apart and fixing it, that can work but be careful.
I have tried to fix a controller before and ended up making it worse off...

One last thing never move the control stick while you power on. This moces the neutral position of the stick and makes it out of whack, meaning you have to do the L,R and start thingy which from now will be reffered to as fixy thing.