Want Nintendo to support HDTV with Revolution?

Posted by Speedfreak

*rolls eyes*

Well, here's the thread. Discuss whether or not you agree with Nintendo not supporting HDTV.

I'm glad that they aren't forcing it onto developers, unlike Microsoft, because you have to pour more money into artwork to not make a game look like ass in high definition. Though I'm not entirely sure why they haven't left the option open for richer companies.

Posted by Fate

Pouring money to make a game more awesome sounds, um, awesome. It'll certainly help weeding out the complete crap that comes out all the time.

Posted by nich

There's both good and bad in HDTV. When making games in HDTV it does cost much more, aswell as more developers might be attracted to nintendo because it will be less exspensive to develope. But the other side to this is nintendo not supporting HDTV means they're not going to appeal to all gamers, and videogames in HD look really good.

Somebody said on here alittle while back that with Microsoft and Sony pretty much forcing developers into HD videogames will become just like the movies. Only the big developers with all the cash will be producing games. In hollywood we see these "safe" films, which are huge budget films which are pretty much made to please the masses. This leaves small independent films to the small film festivals. when it comes to gaming it will be increasingly hard to find hidden gems.

Posted by Speedfreak

Quoting Fate: Pouring money to make a game more awesome sounds, um, awesome. It'll certainly help weeding out the complete crap that comes out all the time.

Your logic is insanely flawed. A crap game with good graphics is still a crap game.

Pouring more money into development means developers can take less risks, which means they'll be making more half-assed sequels than original games. Smaller game companies won't even get a look-in. HD compatible consoles actually support the complete crap that companies like EA produce.

Posted by Fate

But if it takes more money to develop for Microsoft and Sony, at least all the not-so-high-end stuff will be on Nintendo, just so gamers can enjoy their non-HD crap.

Seriously, HD is amazing once you've had it. Supporting it is different from forcing it.

Posted by Speedfreak

I know it is, that's why I said I'm for supporting it but against forcing it.

Posted by Sapphire Rose

Same here. It makes an amazing difference. But forcing it no. I'll gladly support it though.

Posted by Speedfreak

How does Fate know it looks amazing anyway? Pretty much all current gen games are 640x480. That resolution looks terrible on computer monitors
:-/

Posted by Fate

Ah-ah, but the games that do have it look frickin' sweet!

Posted by Aioros

[COLOR=Yellow]*sarcasm*No, i don't want Nintendo to support HDTV, if fact i want the game industry to get left behind and forgotten as well.*sarcasm*[/COLOR]

Posted by Speedfreak

Quoting Fate: Ah-ah, but the games that do have it look frickin' sweet!

The games that do have what?

Posted by Fate

HD support, hon.

I do agree about how it shouldn't be forced, but it should be supported. I don't think Nintendo is going to do that.

Posted by Speedfreak

No, you can plug all current gen consoles into a VGA monitor (which is basically HD), it's just the resolutions that the current gen systems can do looks terrible on HD.

Oh, and HD typically gives crappy framerates.

Posted by TendoAddict

HD could be good, but if the industry were to change suddenly then they would be burning bridges, I dont think HD is worth burning bridges. Its a good thing that nintendo is not going HD because it gives developers more options. But it could go wronge if all the developers were able to go into HD.

On that note we still dont know much about the revolution. Heck , when we find out what the revolution really is we could agree that HD would be a poor choice for the revolution. But the fact is that we dont truly know the revolution, so passing judgement would be foolish.

wich brings me to the 360 and ps3

The ps3 is not done yet. It is a fact that the cpu is not finished and no games are playable. E3 was just a bunch of computers running clips of what the suspect the ps3 can do. Then they gave alot of specs that at this point means crap. So that means what we know about videogames in HD is on the 360 because it is the only system in HD that is completed. Even with demo playable for it we dont know the full extent of HD on the next gen. Sure they look nice but we havent seen what effect they have on the market or the gaming experience.

Summary:
Not enough information on HD in the next generation or the revolution exists so that we can fully judge nintendos choice of making the revolution void of HD.

Personal Judgement:
Wait intell more information is released inorder to make fair judgement.

Posted by Wicked Sushi

I'm a ****ing idiot. Ignore this post.

Posted by TendoAddict

source or link please.

Posted by segashadow128gcn

for real though how many of us in own a HDTV, all HDTV is, is POINTLESS... for really it makes no difference, not that i can see atleast... for real screw HD

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: for really it makes no difference,

It makes quite a bit, assuming you're watching a channel that supports it. Though, you've probably never seen one for yourself.

Posted by alquirti's lash

i tink it would bed very gud dat nintedo wuold soppurt hdtv. it wuld gut nintedo to da tope.

Posted by Wicked Sushi

Quoting TendoAddict: source or link please.

EGM.

But I misread it. See my edit above. They were talking about 720dpi and not 1040dpi.

Posted by Fate

Come on, you guys, this battle should be intelligently fought. The battle is why Nintendo doesn't even support HD, not about forcing it on developers. I can see how forcing HD on games would be a problem, but to not even support it sounds a bit like a money-saving tactic that isn't very thoughtful.

Posted by Alastor

I've never even seen anything in HD except for random scenery in the commercials that are supposedly in HD. That being said, it really doesn't matter to me. I'm glad they're not forcing it, because normal TV suits me just fine, and I'm not shelling out money for an HD just to play my Revolution. It'd be a nice option for the few people who have an HDTV, but I'm thinking it shouldn't really matter.

Posted by Speedfreak

Quoting Fate: Come on, you guys, this battle should be intelligently fought. The battle is why Nintendo doesn't even support HD, not about forcing it on developers. I can see how forcing HD on games would be a problem, but to not even support it sounds a bit like a money-saving tactic that isn't very thoughtful.

Wait, that's it. Keeping a system putting out 640x480 resolutions saves a hell of a lot of system power. It's why something as weak as a Gamecube (compared to PC) can do graphics like Rebel Strike, because the resolution is MILES smaller. This is how they're keeping system price down whilst still compeing with the other two. They can keep the cost of the system down because it's doing PS3/360 graphics on SD resolutions, which needs a lot less power. Most people won't see the difference because most people will have normal TVs.

So the reason they're not supporting HD is because they prefer to make a cheaper system that appeals to most people, instead of spending a ridiculous amount of money on technology appealing to an extra 5%.

Posted by Shanuti Aborina

Just one thing to say:

Why force something onto developers that doesn't actually do anything particularly useful to a good majority of people?

Posted by Speedfreak

Are Sony doing it too? I thought it was just Microsoft.

Posted by boomstick

Quoting nintendorules!: Just one thing to say:

Why force something onto developers that doesn't actually do anything particularly useful to a good majority of people?

I hate when people don't even bother to read through a thread before posting.

Posted by Dark Vader 1.0

pze get HDTV is good for you!

Posted by Axis

I don't think Sony is forcing to make developers use HD. There just making it an option. At least that's what I'm under the impression.

Posted by Dark Vader 1.4

HDTV is trulyt wootie!