Best Game Cube Game to Date?

Posted by EliteVideoGames

What do you think the best Cube game to Date is and.... Will The new ZELDA top it???

Posted by Klarth

I enjoyed Tales of Symphonia a lot.

Posted by EliteVideoGames

I always wanted to pick that title up for myself. Ever play Skies of Arcadia? I had it on Dreamcast,, my fav. RPG of all time.

Posted by coromoro

Skies of Arcadia was just excellent, the only thing that bothered me was the long ship-battles. As for Tales of Symphonia, it is definitely one of my favourite role-playing games of all time. I recommend you to get that game, as I am sure you'd enjoy it. I don't know if I would consider it the best Game Cube game, but it is, no doubt, somewhere in my top 10.

If you consider The Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition a Game Cube game, then I would say that that is the best Game Cube game. It is, however just a few of the older Zelda games put together in one small disc, so I'm not sure if that counts. :cool:

Some of the best games, I would say, include Resident Evil 4, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, Super Smash Bros. Melee, Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, Tales of Symphonia, and Animal Crossing. Of course, this is only my opinion. :)

Posted by segashadow128gcn

Resident Evil 4, and i dont even own it but yes i love Tales of Symphonia!!

Posted by Codester

I agree with segashadow. I have beaten that game and i love to play it all the time. 2nd (in my opinion) would be wind waker

Posted by Mini Rebew

i think theres already a thread like this...but whatever...

i'd have to say ssbm or re4, but ssbm since re4 is coming out for ps2.

Posted by coromoro

Quoting Mini Rebew: i think theres already a thread like this...but whatever...

The other thread asks for your favourite game, while this one asks for the game that you think is best. I personally think there's a difference. The best game would be the game which you think has the most quality overall and best gameplay, and your favourite game would be the one which you enjoy the most. :)

Posted by Random

The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time Masterquest. I liked OOT so much for the N64 that it's stayed my Favorite Game. and It's been released for the GC. The GC Hasn't had bad games, I think OOT is just a REALLY REALLY GREAT GAME!

Posted by bazariah

theres been too many greats already for the cube, smash bros, sunshine, metroid prime, resi 4, f-zero x and eternal darkness immiedietly spring to mind

but the one game i would call the best is donkey kong ungle beat, yeah it's short and too easy, but the sheer number of possible combos and scores to beat always bring me back for one more go, plus it's one of the more accessible titles out there not requiring a life-time of gaming to be able to play, my 4 year old nephew could enjoy it as could my 57 year old work collegues, it's truly a universally appealing title thus gets my vote as best so far

Posted by VirtualRealityZone

Resident Evil 4 and Hunter the Reckoning the original!

Posted by Random

I didn't realize Hunter the Reckoning was even on the Gamecube... Thought it was only for PS2 and Xbox. Guess I was wrong. But I definately don't think it'd be near the top of my Favorite Gamecube Game or even near the top of any Game List. Hunter the Reckoning was fairly poor. Had about 2 minutes of fun Gameplay.

Posted by -Shadow-

I would say either Paper Mario 2, Zelda:The Wind Waker, Sonic Adventure 2:Battle or RE:Zero. All of those were fantastic games from different genre's of the Gamecube library.

Posted by loony636

Zelda: Windwaker was pretty good. My favourite is Timesplitters 2, even though Timesplitters 3 looks better.

Posted by NightmareBassX

Super Smash Bros. Melee Or Tales Of Symphonia

Super Smash Bros. Melee
My favorite fighting game... EVER! And best for GC.

Tales of Symphonia
My favorite RPG and I think its the best on for GC.

Posted by Joey-paparini

Resident Evil 4 or Tales of Symphonia. (Neither of witch i've played) But I DO think The Wind Waker should be on there too. THAT i've played.

Posted by Drewboy64

Smash bros. I haven't played Resident Evil 4 yet. But I'd say Smash Bros cause of the replay value. I think the new Zelda will top it when it does come out.

Posted by boomstick

Resident Evil 4 for reasons that I'd sure have already been said several times before.

Posted by Ch

From what I've played of Gamecube games it would be a tie from Zelda THe Windwaker or Super Smash Brothers

Posted by Shanuti Aborina

[COLOR=DarkRed][FONT=Papyrus]I enjoyed baten Kaitos a lot. But Wind Waker was just legendary the first time through. Theres my vote ^^.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Posted by -Shadow-

Quoting -Shadow-: I would say either Paper Mario 2, Zelda:The Wind Waker, Sonic Adventure 2:Battle or RE:Zero. All of those were fantastic games from different genre's of the Gamecube library.

How could I forget

!Animal Crossing!

Posted by sion

Baten Kaitos, RE4, Tales of Symphonia and Skies of Arcadia are the top games for Game Cube and I hope Zelda: Twilight Princess will be just as great.

Posted by vgmaster13

RE4, Tales of Symphonia, Animal Crossing thats all i can think of that were good for it

Posted by Ant

Yeah, all other games that have come out for GC sucked amirite?

Posted by T. G. CID

The best game is FF6

Posted by Drewboy64

I liked SSBM to name one out of a lot.

Posted by Link_1987

it was definitely tales of symphonia because that game is GREAT!!

Posted by holy_flare

I have to agree. TOS is a great game!

Posted by Sak

TOS WAS THE BEST GAME EVER!!!!

Posted by Arcadios

Melee to me was the best game ever on Gamecube even though it came as one of the launch title.

Posted by juliebriggs

metroid prime

Posted by GameMiestro

Medal of Honor: Rising Sun. It doesn't have to be a Nintendo exclusive to be far more addicting than 95% of the other GCN games out there... and that last 5% does not include Metroid Prime or SSBM.

Posted by The Legend of Me

Wind Waker

Posted by ShadowsQuest2500

I believe it is a toss up between The Legend of Zelda: The Windwaker and F-Zero GX. A very close runner up is the release of The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventure...I was very impressed with the single player version on this disc.

Posted by Anasurimbor Kellhus

For starters, it would be meet to summarily cry "ugh" to nearly every game mentioned, and recommended thus far. I fail to see how a poorly designed, terribly written, and egregiously conceived Secret of Mana retread like Tales of Symphonia can hardly be even remotely related as the best for the platform.

The very same flabberghasted gesture goes to the consistently overrated Super Smash Brothers, which subsequently acted as the undesired, unbalanced, and overly simplistic sequel to one of the most shallow excuses for fighting games in the entirety of the genre.

Perhaps Resident Evil 4 would be a worthy contestant, were it, you know, exclusive to the system. But it's not. In addition to being in better form on the PS2, it's garnering a PC release that will further accentuate the irrelevance of this game on the GC platform. The same argument can be given to Skies of Arcadia, which ran much more fluidly on the Dreamcast - the system from which the game is originally derived.

And how can anyone even jokingly imply that Wind Waker is not only worthy of mention in this thread, but is magically the "best" Gamecube game when it is little more than a Cel-Shaded, substandard rehash of OoT and Majora's Mask. It had an excessively rigid combat system, no actual story to speak of that can be deemed worthy of note, ridiculously lazy level design that is amplified by tedious backtracking, utter linearity, and the ever looming tedium of something as consistently montonous as sailing through graphically unimaginative, and relatively uneventful areas. Not to mention the fact that in true Koji Kondo glory, we have a soundtrack of poorly composed MIDI's that's supposed to act as an authentic soundtrack.

I haven't the time to gloss over all of the misapplied titles in this thread, such as Animal Crossing, Metroid Prime, and Baten Kaitos, but I am more than contented to offer what are the better games for the platform.

Easily, the games that best evinced the capabilities of the Gamecube that were exclusive to the system were Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requium, Pikmin 2, and F-Zero GX. That's it. Everything else for the platform is either too flawed, unoriginal, or horrendous, or, in the worst of cases, better played on another platform. To be even hinted towards being the "best" game for any platform, a game has to possess just a tad bit more than your personal endorsements, and has to have slightly stricter criteria than being the only good game for the system you own.

Posted by Klarth

[Quote=Anasurimbor Kellhus (wow, your name is a chore to type)]For starters, it would be meet to summarily cry "ugh" to nearly every game mentioned, and recommended thus far. I fail to see how a poorly designed, terribly written, and egregiously conceived Secret of Mana retread like Tales of Symphonia can hardly be even remotely related as the best for the platform.
Poorly designed? Terribly written? I'm taking it upon myself to dispute that here and now. The FMVs were beautifully animated, the character design, despite being iffy in part, was otherwise perfect (Presea. COME ON), the battle system was thoroughly elegant and sophisticated, the colossal number of sidequests and post-game bonuses gave it immense replay value (last summer I was on my thirty-sixth playthrough) and the areas were absolutely beautiful. It's the only RPG on the platform that I can describe as "incredible" - despite not living up to Tales of Phantasia.
[quote]The very same flabberghasted gesture goes to the consistently overrated Super Smash Brothers, which subsequently acted as the undesired, unbalanced, and overly simplistic sequel to one of the most shallow excuses for fighting games in the entirety of the genre.
Smash Bros is NOT a fighting game. Should you care to look around the internet for information on it, you'll find that it's a) one of the most competitive-based games ever, and b) much MORE technically indepth than any other fighting game I can think of (except perhaps Guilty Gear). Calling it "simplistic" is fucking stupid, sorry.

As for Resident Evil 4 being "better on the PS2" - the visuals received a more-than-considerable tonedown, and the "extra bonuses" were pretty much null and void.

[quote]And how can anyone even jokingly imply that Wind Waker is not only worthy of mention in this thread, but is magically the "best" Gamecube game when it is little more than a Cel-Shaded, substandard rehash of OoT and Majora's Mask.
How is it a rehash? It's an indirect sequel. It's not the most difficult game of all time, and it certainly doesn't have amazing replay value, but the graphical style is mesmerising and the plot was great.
[quote]Easily, the games that best evinced the capabilities of the Gamecube that were exclusive to the system were Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requium, Pikmin 2, and F-Zero GX.
Now it's my turn to nitpick :) Eternal Darkness had horrific voice acting, a trainwreck of a plot, and a ****ing annoying "sanity system" which consisted of little more than an excuse to get me to dumbly hammer through "MEMORY CARD DELETED!!!" screens. Pikmin 2 barely built upon the original whatsoever and included a flawed multiplayer mode. F-Zero GX is a ****ing stellar game which gets old far faster than something like SSBM.
[quote]To be even hinted towards being the "best" game for any platform, a game has to possess just a tad bit more than your personal endorsements, and has to have slightly stricter criteria than being the only good game for the system you own.
I like the way you disregarded the opinions of others as they're supposedly based on personal preference (which is really what this thread is asking for to tell the truth, so I don't know why you're up in arms about it) and then simply referred to everything except for your favourite three games as "unoriginal" and "horrendous" with no justification as to why these qualities don't suit your personal preferences. Suck my cock.

Posted by Bebop

I have to hand it to Klarth on this one. Although I personally don't agree with some of his preferences he's more realisitc than Kellhus. I think anyone's argument is made void when they say Melee was ", unbalanced, and overly simplistic sequel" but then make Pikmin 2 to be one of GC's greatest acheivments. I enjoy Pikmin 2 alot, but it's uses less of the original Pikmin engine with fewer improvements than Melee did for the original.

EDIT: Hmm Klarth hates the voice acting of Eternal Darkness but makes no mention of the 80s cartoon like work of TOS. Coincidence? I THINK NOT AMIRITE?

Posted by Dog

SSBM, RE4, LoZ collectors edition.

Posted by WackoHater2

IMO, Animal Crossing and Super Smash Bros. Melee.

Posted by Anasurimbor Kellhus

Ah-ha! Eureka! I knew I would garner some simulacrum of fun from at least one of you.

Quoting : Poorly designed? Terribly written?

That's what I said.

Quoting : I'm taking it upon myself to dispute that here and now.

You possess my blessing. I only hope you comprehended my statements.

Quoting : The FMVs were beautifully animated, the character design, despite being iffy in part, was otherwise perfect (Presea. COME ON)

And, as characterized by the above post, my hopes have been justly shattered. Were I referring to the graphical quality, or the animations, I would have referred to them specifically. You can therefore infer from the fact that I didn't, and that by utilizing the word "design" I wasn't mentioning them at all.

In the confines of the industry, when design is brought it up, it refers specifically to the pacing and direction of the premise, the execution and profundity of the level design, the decency of the A.I (which in ToS falters much more so in your opponents than in your party), and the overall crafting and usage of the gameplay. Tales of Symphonia lacks all of these, and can hence be defined as having "poor design". If I were referring to something as inane as FMV's, I would have referred them specifically.

And as an aside, how can something be perfect if it was "iffy in part"? Does that not contradict the definition of impeccability?

Quoting : the battle system was thoroughly elegant and sophisticated, the colossal number of sidequests and post-game bonuses gave it immense replay value (last summer I was on my thirty-sixth playthrough)

I'm confounded as to where you garnered the perception of elegance and sophistication within the confines of this game. Not only did Tales of Symphonia lazily opt to have the game played from a pseudo-3d (2.5d, in all actuality) perspective, but they didn't seek to introduce depth in combat, and nor did it, from a gameplay perspective, seperate itself from action RPG precepts that can be deemed outdated seeing as how they were existent in the 16 bit era with such games as The Legend of Oasis, Secret of Mana, Terrinigma, Landstalkers, etc. Were you to concurrently play those games, you would be loath to find any base differences.

Quoting : Smash Bros is NOT a fighting game.

Were it not for the fact that the games premise requires you to pick 2-4 characters, and, errr, fight, I would actually agree with you.

Quoting : Should you care to look around the internet for information on it

Because we all know that the internet is an irrefutable source of consistently correct and wholly unbiased information...

Quoting : you'll find that it's a) one of the most competitive-based games ever

Because a bunch of SSB:M fanboys and girls who likely have a minuscule experience with the fighting genre as a whole say as such?

Quoting : b) much MORE technically indepth than any other fighting game I can think of (except perhaps Guilty Gear).

Well, I think this statement proves an exponential amount of inexperience in the genre on your end, as well as an unwavering bias. If Guilty Gear is the only fighting game you can think of that's deeper than SSB:M, then it's scathingly obvious that you have not extensively played very many.

Garou: Mark of the Wolves, the King of Fighters series in its entirety, Samurai Showdown 2, The Last Blade, Street Fighter: Third Strike, and even the Alpha series, and if we want to be technical, every single existent 3d fighter outside of Bloody Roar is deeper than SSB:M. If you can't think of any, I'm more than pleased to assist: Tekken, Dead or Alive, Soul Calibur, and especially the latest iterations of the Virtua Fighter series far supersede anything that SSB:M has offered. And just to be technical, one character in Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution, and Tekken 5 have more moves than every character in SSB:M possesses as a collective whole.

How a game whose sole skill related basis is "timing" and not depth in content or mechanics be magically deeper than games that actually seek to improve those very elements is a question that's beyond my knowledge. It takes a certain amount of illiteracy to gaming as a whole and especially this genre to confindently make ignorant claims like this.

Quoting : Calling it "simplistic" is ****ing stupid, sorry.

As is ignorantly claiming a game to be deeper than all others simply because it's one of the few you've played. Regardless, apology accepted.

Quoting : As for Resident Evil 4 being "better on the PS2" - the visuals received a more-than-considerable tonedown, and the "extra bonuses" were pretty much null and void.

The alleged visual downgrade which is far more minor than many would have you believe was rendered non-existent wit the very fact that the PS2 iteration and not the Gamecube one was playable on higher HDTV resolutions, thus aptly making the game look far superior.

And as for your commentary in regard to the bonus's, what relevance does your view of them possess? It still doesn't detract the fact that it not only has everything the GC version has, but more. Still, I'm curious as to how an entirely different sub-set of missions, added story revelations, more weapons, an increased amount of cutscenes, and difficulty settings, amongst other features can be seriously deemed "null and void".

Quoting : How is it a rehash?

It uses the exact same battle system, gameplay mechanics, controls scheme, overarching premise, and musical tunes that were used in OoT, and MM. You may not consider these as worthy of the term "rehash", but I most certainly do.

Quoting : It's an indirect sequel.

REALLY?! The use of the same characters, and same overall thematic overtones most certainly didn't give that away...

Quoting : It's not the most difficult game of all time, and it certainly doesn't have amazing replay value, but the graphical style is mesmerising and the plot was great.

When did I contest the utilization of the graphical quality and how is "While playing dress-up, I see a big, nasty looking bird with a girl in his talons (thus, making him evil), and while investigating we find she is a pirate with a secret. What might this secret be? She's actually the princess of the forgotten kingdom of Hyrule, and the evil Ganon is looking for her so he can have the power of the Triforces which, if carried gives him the power turn the world to utter drakness, and can only be killed by a special sword which many in-game hours will be spent looking for!" ...Deep. And touching, too.

Quoting : Now it's my turn to nitpick Eternal Darkness had horrific voice acting, a trainwreck of a plot, and a ****ing annoying "sanity system" which consisted of little more than an excuse to get me to dumbly hammer through "MEMORY CARD DELETED!!!" screens.

I'm curious as to how much of this game you played? There's a notably easy way to avoid the effects of the sanity system...keep your sanity bar healed. You may want to try this the next time you decide to play the game longer than 5 minutes.

Quoting : Pikmin 2 barely built upon the original whatsoever and included a flawed multiplayer mode.

You're right. Because making the game more open in how the objectives are met, removing nearly all constraints that made the first game cumbersome, adding more applications for the Pikmin (not to mention new Pikmin units in general), and increasing the quality of both the graphics and the level design, as well as further tweaking the gameplay are just "barely" improvements. Such logic.

Quoting : F-Zero GX is a ****ing stellar game which gets old far faster than something like SSBM.

Because racing games and fighting games are exactly alike, and as such can be justly compared...

Quoting : Suck my cock.

Quote of the day. Ironic, too, because up until this point, I figured you for a girl.

Posted by Sapphire Rose

Despite the fact that there is some egomaniacle, opinionated, wannabe video game reviewer trying to make everyone else seem like a total retard for having their own opinion on what the best game is..... here's my list. :)

Super Smash Bros.: Melee
Resident Evil 4
Tales of Symphonia
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
Beyond Good & Evil
Viewtiful Joe

Melee probably ranks above the others due to the sheer replay value that I continue to squeeze out of it.

Posted by Zeta

Metroid Prime. Still amazed at how successful Retro was at making a 3D Metroid game.

Posted by S

This thread amuses me. However, Anasurimbor seems to be missing a convienant sense of inferance. I'll subscribe to this thread and read some more once the argument continues.

To stay on topic:
Super Smash Brothers Melee
Phantasy Star Online, Episodes 1&2

You can debate these all you'd like, especially the idiotic and flawed point of originating on another console. Doesn't really matter though, because these to date are the best in my opinion.

[quote]best ** (*P*)**Pronunciation Key**(bst)
adj. Superlative of good.
Surpassing all others in excellence, achievement, or quality; most excellent: the best performer; the best grade of ore.

Most satisfactory, suitable, or useful; most desirable: the best solution; the best time for planting.

Greatest; most: He spoke for the best part of an hour.

Posted by s0ul

Dear Dumb Name,

No one is impressed. I could barely read through your hugely fundamentally flawed arguments before getting high blood pressure, so I only read to the point where you said Soul Calibur and DOA were deeper than Melee. I can hardly stand to get into this argument, so I'll just say, assuming we're talking about gameplay depth: guard impact in Soul Calibur 2, counters in DOA3, ground-throws in DOA4, balance worse than Melee. Not much else needs to be said.

Save yourself some time and shorten up the posts, it's leaving the opposite impression of what you're obviously shooting for.

Edit: I just the read the rest. Congratulations, you've embarrassed yourself.

I can't be bothered to quote the thing piece by piece, but I'm sick and ****ing tired of hearing that you can't compare two games of unrelated genres. It's stupid hippie thinking. Look me in the eye and tell me "you can't say F-Zero GX is better than Superman 64." It doesn't really matter how you reply to that, you've dug a hole and you're not coming out of it with your dignity.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Anasurimbor Kellhus]Easily, the games that best evinced the capabilities of the Gamecube that were exclusive to the system were Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requium

You stop right there, Eternal Darkness was a joke of a survival horror game.

What two things do you personally thing are the most important features of the survival horror genre? Myself, I prize a focus on survival and horror to be pretty d[COLOR=lightgreen]a[/COLOR]mn important, too bad Silicon Knights forgot that completely.
The notion of survival in Eternal Darkness doesn't even come up, you never have to think ahead, manage your items or choose to run, live and fight another day. Health and sanity are easily recovered with magic, magic is easily recovered by running around in circles, for every step fills the meter up slightly. I hardly ever felt strapped for ammo, most of the enemies can be killed with the huge melee weapons you find around the place anyway.
As for horror, the game plainly isn't scary after the first hour. There's nothing to shock you, the freakish enemies (of which there are about three) stop being quite so freakish when they're completely unintimidating and you've seen about a hundred of them. The rest of it goes to cliched "spooky" effects like busts watching you and paintings changing and those G[COLOR=lightgreen]o[/COLOR]d-awful sanity effects.
Oh, did I mention the sanity effects? Yes, here's a brilliant idea. When the player is trying to recover lost health, LETS MAKE HIM HAVE TO STOP FOR 30 SECONDS IN EVERY BLOODY ROOM HE ENTERS AND MAKE HIM WATCH SOME P[COLOR=lightgreen]I[/COLOR]SSWEAK PRACTICAL JOKE CONCEIVED BY A ROOM-FULL OF IMBECILES, yes that's really fun and won't ever get old!

On top of that, the graphics are dogs[COLOR=lightgreen]h[/COLOR]it, the game's short, many chapters are ridiculously boring and repetitive and the story is is just dull.

Posted by D.J Cat

For Single player games I got totally immersed and loved Zelda: Wind Waker and Metroid Prime.
The Piratey feel, the new Zelda game, so much fun, even on the 2nd play thourgh.
And the music and intense atmoshpere in Prime was something I'm so glad to have experienced.

Now for multiplayer, its Smash Bros Melee by far.
For the first 3 and a half years I owned the game I never took much notice or cared much about the more advanced side of the game.
Then by chance I was in the right place at the right time and went to a tournament.
I got absolutley destoyed and was intoduced to an entirely new level of playing.
I've never looked back since then, the enjoyment of the game is so much more now.

That is all.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: You stop right there, Eternal Darkness was a joke of a survival horror game.

Isn't it a psychological horror game? In that sense, I thought it did a decent job of creating tension, mood and atmosphere. Wouldn't call it the best on the 'Cube, but still.

Posted by Ch

To me it's a close tie between Twin Snakes, SSBM, and Killer 7.

Posted by Pit

SSBM not deep? lol

Ikaruga, RE4, Eternal Darkness,Metroid Prime, Viewtiful Joe, not in order

Quoted post: SSBM not deep? lol

oh man, didn't you know? If it doesn't have twenty button combos it's not deep, duh!

Anywho, SSBM, RE4, Metroid Prime, Twin Snakes and Ikaruga. In that order more or less. WW and ToS get honourable mentions.

Posted by Pit

Quoting Vampiro: oh man, didn't you know? If it doesn't have twenty button combos it's not deep, duh!

Anywho, SSBM, RE4, Metroid Prime, Twin Snakes and Ikaruga. In that order more or less. WW and ToS get honourable mentions.

I just find it amusing when people talk about it. There's more to the game than what's listed in the instruction manual.

Hell, I for one know that the Street Fighter manual doesn't include every little detail for you to be perfect and pul off certain comboes. I mean Smash may seem like the button masher, yeat the game has counters (yes people, shielding on moment of impact does reflect projectiles and allow for quicker grabs), teching, etc, like any other fighting game. Just because you don't have a damage bar and a special guage doesn't mean that the game is "not as deep". If you go against a pro, you'll see why the game is deep, and it has way more than twenty button comboes :cool:

I actually never found it to be a button masher. The simplistic combos kinda make you seem like a ****ing moron if you can't get it.