No sound on PC

Posted by neonmole

[COLOR=DarkOrange]I had my PC upgraded a while ago and since then the speakers havn't worked but headphones have. But the other day the headphones seemed to stop working so I tried them in my CD player and they worked fine, I have tried everything in 'Troubleshooting' to get the sound back but nothing works. What could the problem be?[/COLOR]

Posted by Trigger

Have you ensured that your using the latest sound card drivers from your soundcard manufacturer? Many have them readily available to download from their website and often re-installing drivers can fix many sound related issues. Have you ensured the card is firmly pushed in to the motherboard?

Posted by Klarth

Try right-clicking on the volume icon in the system tray (bottom-right-hand corner of the screen, on the taskbar). Click "open volume control" and make sure that the slider on the far left isn't muted, and that "wave" and "sw synth" are at maximum.

Posted by neonmole

[COLOR=DarkOrange]Thanks I will download the drivers tomorrow. I hope this works![/COLOR]

Posted by KoH

Quoting Trigger: Have you ensured that your using the latest sound card drivers from your soundcard manufacturer? Many have them readily available to download from their website and often re-installing drivers can fix many sound related issues. Have you ensured the card is firmly pushed in to the motherboard?

lmfao, you sound like the troubleshoot.

Posted by Trigger

Well, some people need to be spoken to in a troubleshoot manner. You have no idea how many times I get e-mailed, called and spoken to in person by people having problems with their computer who haven't tested the obvious. A painful problem I usually encounter is when their "computer won't start". So many times it has been because they didn't plug it in at the wall or at the machine, so now my first question to them is, "Did you plug it in?"

You have no idea how stupid a lot of users are.

Posted by KoH

Quoting Trigger: Well, some people need to be spoken to in a troubleshoot manner. You have no idea how many times I get e-mailed, called and spoken to in person by people having problems with their computer who haven't tested the obvious. A painful problem I usually encounter is when their "computer won't start". So many times it has been because they didn't plug it in at the wall or at the machine, so now my first question to them is, "Did you plug it in?"

You have no idea how stupid a lot of users are.

Wow... since when did you post your email under a computer manufactorer's tech support?

Posted by Trigger

[quote=KoH]..under a computer manufactorer's tech support
Oh, ages ago baby. All the major manufacturer's want Trigger. They're always all like, "lol email plz" and I was like, "Free drinks for my buddy KoH" and they were like "... We'll call you in a week and let you know." Then they saw you and they were like, "lol k yah, free drinks for KoHbby and you. :-*"

Microsoft were stingy; they didn't want us to have free drinks. :(

Posted by KoH

Quoting Trigger: Oh, ages ago baby. All the major manufacturer's want Trigger. They're always all like, "lol email plz" and I was like, "Free drinks for my buddy KoH" and they were like "... We'll call you in a week and let you know." Then they saw you and they were like, "lol k yah, free drinks for KoHbby and you. :-*"

Microsoft were stingy; they didn't want us to have free drinks. :(

**** M$ and Bill Gates.

Btw, like, the beginning of your post totally rhymed. Good job! Sexah

Posted by Boner

When you had your computer upgraded, did you have a new sound card added to it? If so, it may be trying to "battle" the onboard sound card. If this is the case, right click on my computer. Select properties from the flyout menu. Click on the hardware tab, then click device manager. In the list of Sound, video and gaming controllers, you should see your sound cards listed. Right click on the old one and select the option to disable it. The same thing happened to me a few times when swapping stuff out in my computer.