Microsoft antispyware?

Posted by higbvuyb

Get it here. http://www.download.com/Microsoft-Windows-AntiSpyware/3000-8022_4-10353596.html?tag=lst-0-19

I havent tried it yet though.

Posted by Fallen

I wouldnt try it... Microsft is such a big target, they will find holes in that in no time.

Posted by NegativeTrend

Yup definately don't get it if you pirated Windows or aquired it of non-legal means. Are you asking a question or something?

Posted by Gong

I read somewhere that the MS anti spyware program saw IE as spyware. I dont know if it was a prank or not, but it was funny to read. :)

Posted by Trigger

I have used Microsoft Antispyware and it had detected at least ten items that neither Ad-Aware SE Personal nor Spybot Search and Destory detected. Also, you can use Microsoft Antispyware even if your copy of Windows is not legal, the "verification" is not compulsory and the program functions perfectly fine without the "verification" process before you even download it. Lastly, Microsoft Antispyware does not detect Internet Explorer as spyware but it does seem to only claim their own products are safe and everyone else is either, "I don't know" or a threat. The program is fine, though I do not rely on it to protect my computer. Admittedly, I did turn to it when nothing else would work and while it did not solve my issue entirely, it did remove some objects that would have gone undetected otherwise. In my opinion, that is better than not detecting anything at all, Microsoft made or not.

Microsoft Antispyware isn't bad but it isn't fantastic, either.

Posted by f4phantom2500

yeah, ive read comparisons that say it scores higher than ad-aware or spybot, or any other free antispyware utility. its most likely because they bought out some company to get it. i use it, its pretty good so far. i also use ad-aware, spybot, pestpatrol, and spywareblaster.

Posted by Magnum

Ah, haven't seen you around here for a few years. (A little paranoid using 5 spy/ad-ware scanners? :p)

I use this program as well, and think that the software was a great acquisition for Microsoft. It does find things left behind by Ad-Aware Professional and Spybot - S&D 1.3 on my machine, but I'd prefer that it wouldn't load the real-time scanner agent at all (yes, I've disabled it, but it still stays in memory until I manually unload it).

Posted by Admiral Anthrax

They bought out Giant to get it. It used to be Giant Spyware/Giant Antispyware/something like that.

Posted by loony636

Quoting Magnum: Ad-Aware Professional and Spybot - S&D 1.3 on my machine

Those are the two best anti-spyware programs available. Sorry, the best free anti-spyware programs available. You can get Mcafee and Zonealarm and probably others like Norton, but you have to pay for them. For some reasons, ie they're free, people tend to use Ad-Aware and Spybot Search and Destroy. There are so many programs out there that will get rid of spyware, I don't think that the Microsoft program will be all that popular.

Quoting f4phantom2500: yeah, ive read comparisons that say it scores higher than ad-aware or spybot, or any other free antispyware utility.

Quoting Fallen: I wouldnt try it... Microsft is such a big target, they will find holes in that in no time.

My point exactly. Just to sum up, Microsoft sucks.

Posted by higbvuyb

No, Microsoft doesn't suck.

Quoting Fallen: I wouldnt try it... Microsft is such a big target, they will find holes in that in no time.

Look at your own quote, fallen said they will find holes in it because microsof tis a big target, not because it sucks.

And Microsoft bought giant antispyware for it. Therefore it is nort really by microsoft, and doesn't suck.

And, look at your own quote again.

Quoting f4phantom2005: yeah, ive read comparisons that say it scores higher than ad-aware or spybot, or any other free antispyware utility.

Why did you post that? that contradicts your point
Now post something that is true and makes sense.

Posted by Trigger

[quote=looney636]Those are the two best anti-spyware programs available. Sorry, the best free anti-spyware programs available. You can get Mcafee and Zonealarm and probably others like Norton, but you have to pay for them.
ZoneAlarm not only offers a trial but they also offer a firewall completely free. Not only this but they even go as far as giving you a free online spyware detector. While McAfee only provide trials for their products, they also have an anti-virus detection program available to download at no cost to the user called Stinger. It doesn't detect spyware, sure but it's another example of these people protecting your machine for free. They too provide an online scan but in this instance, it's for virus detection; they also have two other free scanners available also. One of the scanners determines the security level of your wireless network connection, the other tests your machine's vulnerability to viruses and hackers. Symantec offer online scans also and offer product trials for home and home office users.

[quote]For some reasons, ie they're free, people tend to use Ad-Aware and Spybot Search and Destroy. There are so many programs out there that will get rid of spyware, I don't think that the Microsoft program will be all that popular.
There are so many failing products out there, if anything this makes it easier for Microsoft to grab a hold of the market a little. A lot of people seem to be turning to Microsoft Anti-Spyware really, just as a lot of people purchase the security suites offered by Symantec, McAfee and other large corporations. It will be popular and and soon as it comes out of being in a beta testing stage, its popularity is only going to increase.

Posted by f4phantom2500

Quoting higbvuyb:
Why did you post that? that contradicts your point
Now post something that is true and makes sense.

No it doesnt; my point was that Microsoft AntiSpyware is a good program. So it, in effect, reenforces my point. Dolt. Also, it is typical for something that is true to make sense, unless you don't know what you're talking about.*

*Hint: You don't know what you're talking about.