Drive Error

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

As some of you may know, when you buy a computer nowadays which comes with a cd burner, recovery discs usually aren't provided for you. Well, when I first bought my laptop, I figured I'd better make the discs soon. When I got to burning the third (out of seven) I received a disk drive error, stating that my cd burner couldn't be located, ie. it was unplugged. Knowing that was bull, I got angry and didn't try to make the set until sometime later. Stupid that you have to make the discs in order no matter what, as far as I can tell. Anyways, I've tried doing it again, and the exact same thing has happened, at the same spot. Now, I never have any unneccesary programs running while performing this task, and the cd burner obviously hasn't been unplugged/removed as it's internal. Anyone have any suggestions? I really don't want to have to buy the discs, as that's ridiculous since I should be able to create them myself. My parents' computer has been attacked by a virus (either that, or my sister or father deleted a critical file) so I kinda need the discs right away. Even if there was no rush, I'd sooner have them now, in case I ever run into a problem.

Posted by Trigger

What discs are you trying to burn?

Posted by higbvuyb

Quoted post: My parents' computer has been attacked by a virus (either that, or my sister or father deleted a critical file) so I kinda need the discs right away.

I think you can only use recovery CDs on the computer they were designed for.

Posted by Klarth

Depends whether or not they're OS recovery discs or not, doesn't it?

Posted by thelaststand

this same thing, about ,happened 2 me the other day, 1st restart in safe mode and try it, if that doesnt work, then check to see if the problem is the burner or the disc making program, try that by burning just a music cd and seeing if it works, if its just the disc making program call up the company that you got the computer from tell them what happened and they should send you recovery discs for free, if its your burner you need to call them anyway to see if they can help you with that

I can burn any other type of data onto any cd disc. I've tried after both incidents. I've also tried with two different brands of cd (which isn't the problem, as the first time I tried it, I used Verbatim discs). All the recovery discs do, is bring my computer back to its original state (as if it were brand new out of the store). I wasn't entirely sure if I could use mine on my parents computer, as it only needed one file fixed. But I'm not really sure. I still want them for my own use, obviously. And if I can't get them to burn, yeah, I'll phone the company and get them to give me free discs.

Posted by Trigger

Legally you should be able to demand that the store provides you with some discs. Of course, if the computers were purchased a fair while ago, you may have problems arguing that you have the right to demand them. In any case, you pay for the software on the machine, no the discs (which are free) and they should have given them to you, as opposed to keeping them.

You may be able to contact your manufacturer and ask them if they can provide you with free restore discs. If you explain the situation to them, some often will oblige or may charge you a small fee of shipping. Other than that, though, all I can suggest is that you use Windows System Restore every now and then to make system restore points that can return your machine to a state that is known to be in working order. You could try searching online for any information about the recovery discs you are burning; it seems as though it may be a CD issue, perhaps others have ran into the same problem with those exact recovery CDs.

Do you have any friends that could try burning the CDs for you on their machine?

Yeah, I'll search online a bit, and if I don't find anything, I'll contact the manufacturer, thanks.

I'll also see if one of my friends can do it, but I'm doubting it'll work on two separate machines, especially when I'm trying to update files.

Posted by NegativeTrend

What program are you using? Prehaps it's only for certain hard drive makes?

Oh, I'm just using the VAIO Recovery Wizard (option that came with my laptop). And the cd rom and hard drives are both originals.

Posted by loony636

Interesting. Let us know how it goes with the company.

SUE THE PANTS OFFA THEM!!!