How many times have you had to replace your PS2?

Posted by project101

I have had to replace my PS2 several times. I was wondering if this has happened to any body else. After a while the system just starts giving me a disc read error. Has this happened to anybody else?

Posted by neo55

nope same ps2 from the Beginning

Posted by Corrupt

I've never had to replace mine, even though it's been dropped on my head three times, and ruthlessly attacked by my cat. Now she just sleeps on it, so it's all good. It's one resilient console, at least from what I've experienced.

Posted by Ant

I'm also one of the lucky few who hasn't had to replace/fix their PS2. Yay for me.

Posted by Arczu

I've had to do it twice. First time was because it was causing circular scratches on the game discs, second time was because it was just baaad...

But every since the last one, it's been fine. Just take care of it properly and you won't have to replace it as much. Clean around it often.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

I've never had any trouble with my PS2, and I've owned it for over three years now. Then again, I'm always careful with my belongings, so it shouldn't have any reason to die on me anytime soon.

Posted by Chronic

I have two Ps2's ones is a spare and the other is the one Ive had since they came out. Ive never had to replace it.

Posted by neonmole

[COLOR=DarkOrange]I've never had to replace mine either. Although it's barely been played at all and it's always been sat on my desk.[/COLOR]

Posted by Last Fog

I've had one ps2 for about two years. No problems so far. But I did have to buy a new controller when the R1 triggger got jammed in, and my mic for online just stopped working so I had to replace that.

Posted by DaNoob

I have never had mine to be switch and its one of the ones that came out that year and and it has had not a single problem and its in good condition and even the control is in good condition.

Posted by Velvet Nightmare

I too have never had to replace my PS2, which I am thankful for. I thought about getting a PSTwo, but decided not to invest because my original PS2 still runs perfectly.

Posted by boomstick

Never, I've never had any problems whatsoever with my PS2.

Posted by Revolver Ocelot

Twice. One my fault, and the other time the Console just died...

Posted by Boner

My first PS2 would go F'ing crazy when I tried to play a demo disk in it. Almost as if it caused it pain to try and read the disks. One time, the lazer got stuck while I was playing a game. It sounded like there were gears grinding. I had no warranty, so I took it apart myself and was able to fix it. I ended up giving it to my g/f at the time and letting her have it.

My second one was to replace the one I mentioned above. Although, this one had problems reading demo discs too. It played regular games just fine though. I got that one at Best Buy. And this time I figured I'd spend the $20 to get the 2 year replacement plan on it. Once the new slim line PS2 came out, I took this one back to Best Buy because it was still within the 2 year period. So, I exchanged it for the newer model. So far, no problems at all with this system, including the ability to finally be able to play demo discs.

So, that's twice now for me. Even though none of the problems I had were all that major. Well, besides the first one. But, I was able to fix that on my own.

Posted by Aioros

[COLOR=Yellow]Nope. My PS1 also still works fine, so does my n64, and my SNES. I take care of the stuff i pay money for.[/COLOR]

Posted by Special Agent Bob

I didn't need to replace it ever but my PS1... ya few times.

Posted by nich

ive never had to replace mine, but my cousins were not so lucky. It just all of a sudden stopped reading discs and made a noise so loud I thought it would catch fire or something. It was completely useless.

Posted by Boner

Quoting nich: ive never had to replace mine, but my cousins were not so lucky. It just all of a sudden stopped reading discs and made a noise so loud I thought it would catch fire or something. It was completely useless.

That's how mine was. Was it a sort of a "grinding" noise? It can be fixed. The lense probably just got stuck or something.

Posted by Pit

I lost count after 3

Posted by Poco

Once. mine didn't read CDs and blue disc and ps1 games.

Posted by EliteVideoGames

twice.

Posted by solarphoenix990

Luckily I didnt have to replace my PS2 at all yet.

Posted by vgmaster13

same old ps2 from the day they came out

Posted by Text Attraction

Ha ha, so I'm not the only one. I've only had to do it once because I had that "grinding noise". So I asked around, people told me it could be fixed but it would eventually die so I shouldn't bother. And since the new "sleek" peice os **** ps2 came out, I bought that. Though I wish they would have included a friggin off button =) I hate unpluging it every darn time. And I never play online with it, so it's basically useless to me, oh well. It's nice for Monster Rancher though.

Posted by AvatarAirbender

i don't have one b/c i didn't waste my money on a ps2, and i bought an Xbox, and all the good games came to xbox so i'm happy!

Posted by Big Boss

Unlike my GameCube, I've never had to replace my PS2. I have a first generation model, and it's the system I've played the most up until last Christmas, when I got the slim version. The original has gone through several international trips between the U.S. and Venezuela, and I haven't had a problem with it whatsoever.

Posted by Codester

I've never had to replace my PS2! But...I've had to replace my psone about 3 times.
The 1st one just broke and the other two my mother threw at the wall!

Posted by Black_Wolf

I unfortunately have to count myself among those who've had to replace their PS2's twice. The first one which I had since launch, did the whole Disc-Read Error thing, I think mostly b/c of watching DVDs. The second one, dunno what happened. I think one of my friends broke it and didn't tell me. It just stopped turning on and I had to rip it open to get my Vice City disc.

And NOW I have to replace my Xbox, b/c something happened w/ the power source. For some reason, the prongs in the back are fried...dunno how it happened, but I'm pretty ****ed b/c I just activated my Live account. Homo.

Posted by Illyria110

Luckily for me I have never had to replace my PS2. :)

Posted by Random

Well I work at Kmart.. And we had the 4th PS2 die. But their run 24/7. This one just keeps locking up immediately. We're on our 2nd Xbox, 2nd GC, and going to be on our 5th PS2. Had 1 Xbox Controller Break and 1 GC Controller, with no Sony PS2 Controllers Breaking. But they do seem to break fairly easy..

Posted by Jak Pattinson

i only replaced my ps2 as a exchange for the new one. that's it.

Posted by Dragon Ryder

I had to replace my PS2 due to The power board blowing up. Due to the mod chip. After trying to fix it for a few months i couldn't get the playstation working with the mod chip in it. so I just found another way to play my games.

Posted by kaseyrocks

twice in the house and I have had to replace it three times in my honda civic

Posted by The Dark Harmonixer

Not a single time in 5 years!I love my PS2,it's a little old but it sure was good and still runs pretty well.

Posted by EggplantWizzard

Once. It got the infamous Disc Read Errors, I took it apart and cleaned it until that no longer helped....then it got stolen. Haha.

I've had the PStwo for over 6 months and moved away from the shady neighborhood. No problems yet.

Posted by Nickd009

Mine had a disk read error once but I took it apart and cleaned the laser.

Posted by The Punisher

Yeah ive had to replace mine twice becuase of Grand Theft Auto SA

Posted by muffla

never and i even bought it used

Posted by Early Demise

[COLOR="MediumTurquoise"]Still gaming on my original PS2 baby![/COLOR]

Posted by TheUnforgivenII

Replaced my PS2 two times. Both because of Disc Read Errors and grinding noises.

Posted by BEZ1

None, knock on wood. But it is starting to have some problems reading discs. Good thing the PS3 is backwards compatible.

Posted by Foxworthy12

I have never had to replace my PS2. I have had it since the year it came out. I acually got it beause the PS blew out on me. Sony is a pretty reliable company. All you have to do it clean the filter every once in a while along with the lens everyonce in a while. I suggest about every 4 months.

Posted by JannettyTheRocker

I've had "disc read errors" on my original PS2 on a few games, and games freezing. And the worst is that I haven't been able to have both a PS1 and a PS2 memory card in the system at the same time. It always reads the PS2 memory card, but will only read the PS1 memory card if it's alone or has another PS1 memory card in the system..................After about three years of this, I gave my PS2 to my brother and bought a slimline PS2 when it first came out. Have had it for 1.5 years now (I think), and the slim PS2 works FANTASTIC. No problems at all with it.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Ive had mine for a year or two, and its been dropped, hit, carried back and forth to school almost everyday for senior year, and generally abused in a way that no system should.

I have also never had a problem with it.

Posted by Zabuza

[quote=Lord of Spam]Ive had mine for a year or two, and its been dropped, hit, carried back and forth to school almost everyday for senior year, and generally abused in a way that no system should.

I have also never had a problem with it.
Wow! What a destructive life you live in... but if the PS2 is ok...

Posted by chec

i`ve had a ps2 almost since it was first launched, no real probs with it ever since, maybe some of you should learn to take vbetter care of your investments

Posted by Gunslinger

Only once for me. For some reason, it wouldn't run certain games, so I had to buy a new one. The thing that sucked was I had to use the money I was saving to get a PS3. (Grrrrr!)

Posted by The Punisher

I just got a new one, so hopefully it will work.

Posted by Moogs

I had to replace mine twice.

Posted by Ant

I'll get loud noises sometimes like it's trying reallllly hard to read the disk...and it normally pulls thru. I think only once I've had it plain out freeze on me. So I consider myself fairly lucky.

Posted by Colonel

Both my cousin and my friend had to replace theirs twice.

Posted by Crazy K

I never had major problems with my PS2. A wile back my PS2 would make loud noises whenever I played WWE Smackdown Here Comes The pain, but whenenver I cleaned it, it worked fine again. Then about a year ago I encountered the Disc Read Error. I was so pist when I could not play DVD's or PS1 games on my PS2. I could not play PS1 games, PS2 CD's (blue sides), DVD's, and CD's. But it would play PS2 DVD's.

Well I fixed the problem by cleaning the Lens with a Q-tip, witch I had to take apart just to get to, but ever since my PS2 works like a charm. I have had it for around 3 years now.

But if you have a problem with a DRE go to this thread and it should be in my post: http://www.vgchat.com/showthread.php?t=9905

Posted by Dragner

I'v only had to replace it once. Thats only because my friend was a dump@$$ and body slamed me on it.

Posted by The Prince of Persia

I've never had to replace my PS2. But my a** hole of a brother throw it because it wouldn't play GTA:San Andras(the reason it wouldn't play was that the disc was scratched, he thought it was my PS2 playing up). It still plays well thankfully.

Posted by DevilTrigger77

I've had about 5 different ones...but the last one I had which was the small junk one!!! I hate those ones so much!

The others were big and my current is a big one. The other were traded for some Mary Jane!! HAHA! I got a 360, but there is no games right now i really wanna play.

Posted by ali242

well mine is dying on me now...it keeps makin this wierd noise everytime i put an old game in it although it works for all the new ones..its a bit odd...i might have to replace it soon.

Posted by HELLbillie

My PS2 is the only one out my friends that managed to survive about 3 to 4 years. This converted some of my friends to the x-box due to reliability. My PS2 is still working with everthing that came with it working to (Controller, Memory Card).

Posted by Sean the Wicked

I had the original PS2 and than I had to change it to the slim sometime last year. The old one just bit the dust basically.

Posted by WackoHater2

I've never had to replace mine. I have had it for a three years in December. My uncle, on the other hand, has replaced his twice. He got a PS2, it broke so he got one of the slim ones, it broke so he got an original again. Its not his fault they broke though. He has two sons. One is five, the other is two.

Posted by Degeneration

I'm on my third now. The first two did the "Disc Read Error" thing between one and two years after being purchased. And now you know why the console's sales have been so high.

Posted by Cloudstud

Just once my old clunky big ps2 was getting disc errors so I upgraded to the much smaller more sleek ps2.

Posted by Kit

My PS2 has died a "DISC READ ERROR" related death.

New one! :) This is my second now.

Posted by Arcadios

I haven't changed it but it can't play PSX games. =(

Posted by Random

This is probably how the PS2 had so many sales.. I know a lot of people who bought new PS2s to replace their old broken ones. I know very few ppl with a broken xbox or GCN.

Posted by muffla

Once, but i think i gotta do it to my current one

Posted by .batata

never.....
but i remebered that my ps2 falls on my sister glasses then the glasses turnd to sand but the ps2 was fine as usual
and i remeber when the ps2 falls (agine)then my kingdom hearts disc brock not the sony ps2....booohoooo *miss ya kingdom hearts*

Posted by sabre2922

Ive only had one PS2 actually go bad and start having DREs but traded it and got a slim line.

Now have an old "fatty" PS2 that has to be open and a game put in it for it to work that I got from a friend but once all of u rig it up it works fine.

My slimline PS2 works great but is slightly loud and has had lots of hours playtime also been left on accidently a few times overnight etc. but so far so good.

Ive had 4 PS2s 2 Xboxs and 2 Gamecubes but mostly from trading selling them.

Posted by x.r0wney.x

i remember i had to once cause it did not want to read any cds, dvds, blue disks, or games

Posted by TheSorrow

never and i got mine the first day it came out its been playing games fine and i have had never problems with it

Posted by boomstick

None, never had any problems with mine at all

Posted by Dexter

Mine takes about a minute to load, but it isn't worth replacing.

Posted by Captain Cleanoff

Never, despite constant use for the better part of two years.

Posted by Anti-Muffla

i have the same one that i first bought. never have replaced it and i never will have to.

Posted by Degeneration

I'm on my third. Blasted "Disc Read Error" message...

Posted by RebelGamer137

None, I guess I am lucky.

Posted by veritas

nope never. I do have a second one though so when my big fat ps2 dies ill have the skinny one ready.

Posted by greginglis10

SUP GUYS GREG HERE

IVE HAVENT BUT IM THINKING OF GETTING IT FIXED

IT PLAYS MUSIC AND DVDS AND PS2 GAMES ON IT BUT WHEN I TRY TO PLAY A PS1 GAME IT COMES UP ALL RED AND SAYS DISC READ ERROR SO IM ALL LIKE **** LOL

PLEASE HELKP ANY TIPS ON HOW I CAN PLAY PS1 GAMES