Scanner problems

Posted by maian

Well, this is just the beginning, but I've been trying to set up my scanner again. I can't get into Add/remove hardware, because I'm not on a @&$# admin account. So, I tried to start up the scanning program, and I get this.
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v113/maian/untitled.gif[/IMG]

...>_>

Posted by Klarth

Well, maybe the dll isn't there. Try going to HP's website and downloading the drivers.

Posted by speedemon35

You can become admin on your pc you know? It's quite simple really. Just start your pc and hit F8, it will take you to a screen where you have the option of starting in safe mode. When you start the ocmputer in safe mode you'll be in the admin account so you just edit your account to admin instead of restricted user.
To fix your scanner problem only thing you can do as Majesty said is download the missing .dll, put it in the right place, shut down the pc, start it up again and try installing the scanner again. IT is fundamental that you shut down the pc afetr you add dll's to it as it can sometimes mess up the system

Posted by maian

Yeah, there's a problem. My dad de-admin'd all the accounts, because crap was getting installed that he didn't want, so he limited the restrictions. So, if I make mine an admin account, he'll know.

But yeah, I know perfectly well how to configure things on an admin account. :angel:

Posted by speedemon35

Just make yourself admin while you need it and then remove it.
If you still have problems with the scanner reply back;)

Posted by Trigger

Maian, what operating system do you use? If it's Windows 2000 or XP, your father can't remove or disable Administrator accounts, the system doesn't allow such an activity, for security reasons. Chances are, he merely renamed the Administrator account to something else. I ask this question because I choose to ignore how the screenshot warning dialog box looks. We all should be well aware that Windows 2000 looks like its predecessor and Windows XP has the ability to do the same.

Otherwise, try opening the Local Policy Editor in Windows 98 by typing poledit in Run. This should open a policy editor that allows you to configure what other accounts can do. I'm not sure if your father has denied access to the tool, but it's worth a try. I believe there's a section in there which allows users to install hardware/software, ect. It's been a while since I have used it, though and I would also advise that you be careful with what you check or uncheck.

By the way, why not just ask your father to install the scanner for you? I can't see him having a problem with a device such as that, seeing as it can't be used for anything other than productive scanning of documents. It would be silly to purchase a scanner if he isn't even going to allow it be used. You should explain this to him and perhaps mention the phrase "good for school assignments" a few times.

[quote=speedmon35]If you still have problems with the scanner reply back
Well, duh. That's usually what every member who continues to have a problem does.