Japanese Music

Posted by EvangelionAngel2

Does anyone listen to japanese music?

I listen to the brand new CD that I just got......It is called "Best of Inuyasha".....It would have to be the best CD that I have ever listened to.....By far.....I just wanted to know if anyone else listens to it to....

Posted by NegativeTrend

You left British music off as a choice but American will do. Can't say that I do listen to or care for any Japanese music other than Geinoh Yamashirogumi.

Posted by Klarth

Voted Japanese just for Merzbow.

And InuYasha is the ****ing worst thing ever.

Posted by Sapphire Rose

If the music is good, I listen to it. I dont care who the blue hell made it. :rock:
I refuse to vote. ^_-_^

Posted by Acheron

Britain makes better stuff than either. ALSO FRANCE.

Posted by Hyper

American over Japanese any day. I can't stand the kids at school who pop in and blast Japanese stuff in the middle of class. They wish they were Japanese but they aren't, so they join the Japanese Culture club in hopes of learning about anime and get disappointed when it's actually about Japanese Culture. Right, that got off topic.

Posted by Richaod

I vote Scandinavia. Gothenburg owns. I'd want to live there if I could speak Swedish. :(

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: I vote Scandinavia.

Satyricon. Good choice.

Anyways, I can't say which is better. There's plenty of good American bands, however the Japanese inject a certain uniqueness into their music which you can't get from anywhere else. However, I'm more familiar with American music. Though the Japanese do make pretty good black metal...

Posted by Shin-Ra

If we're talking about oriental music in general, South Korea takes the win for me. There's a lot of really good, interesting black metal coming from there now (Sad Legend) and I expect that to only become a stronger trend. To answer the original question, I'm going with America because I'm more familiar with our stuff than theirs. The only Japanese music I know of is either Sigh or it's from video game and anime soundtracks.

Scadinavia's wonderful, but Gothenburg can go to hell for all I care.

Posted by kyubi

I voted Japanese because there is much more music I like from other countries, than I like ffrom America. Plus the japanese have really good speedcore music...

Posted by William

Sweden for me bby.

But, I do like some Japanese music. Not much though, since I don't like listening to something I cannot understand (One of the main reasons I dont listen to black/death metal).

Posted by Sean Fury

I adore Japanese music. I can't stand Rap/Hip-Hop in English, but when it's sung in Japanese, I don't know. The language just clicks in my head and does something. The Pillows are definately one of my favorite bands of all time, and Utada Hikaru, L'arc~en~Ciel, Gackt, and a lot of others I like too.

I also love other-language European music...German, Finish, Swedish, Spanish, a lot of others too.

Posted by Zapper

I vote american.
I think japanese music is pretty bad... :rolleyes:

Posted by Fate

Dir en Grey, Malice Mizer, and Gackt say that Japanese pop/rock is better.

Posted by Philsdad

There is a lot of wonderful music that comes from Japan, especially traditional Japanese tsugaru shamisen music. For those not familiar, the shamisen is a 3 stringed lute similar to a banjo. It is played by plucking the strings with a bachi, which looks kind of like an ice pick. It has a very unique, beautiful sound.

There is also some great black metal from Japan like Sigh, Sabbat, and Abigail.

Judging Japanese music based on horrible anime music and J-pop is just like judging all American music based on crap like Britney Spears and J-lo. There is a lot of great music as well as a lot of terrible music in both cultures.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Swedish music > *

Quoting Shin-Ra: Scadinavia's wonderful, but Gothenburg can go to hell for all I care.

I still love you, even though you're black metal-pussy whipped

Posted by Legend Saber

Quoting Philsdad: Judging Japanese music based on horrible anime music and J-pop

Hey! I like most of that anime music! And it ain't horrible!

Anyway, personally, I don't listen to music in general all that much, but between Japanese music and American music, Japan takes the cake. There are very few American songs that I actually like, and most of those are Weird Al songs, whereas I love most of the Japanese music I hear. When you don't understand the lyrics, you can concentrate completely on the melody, speaking of which, the Japanese make much better melodies than the Americans. In my opinion, anyway.

Posted by Zapper

Well, now that i think about it, I do like traditional japanese music.
There is also some good metal from japan...Mad Capsule Markets are also a good techno/punk band...
But j-pop and stuff like that is just bad in my opinion

Posted by Sean Fury

Anyone ever heard of "Asian Kung-Fu Generation"? They're pretty good punk-rocking Japanese...

Posted by loathing

Hellsing OST 2: Ruins is probably the only anime soundtrack that's worth listening to even if you don't know anything about the anime, or even care about anime itself.

As for the Japanese/American thing, it's pretty pointless to even debate this. I fail to understand sometimes why people view empty commercialized pop music in a language they don't understand superior to empty commercialized pop music in English.

That said, I have been listening to a lot of Japanese bands as of late. Boredoms/V8redoms, Polysics, and Shugo Tokumaru are all class, and I've yet to hear other artists that sound quite like them (especially Boredoms/V8redoms)

Posted by Dark

Since this was already bumped...

I really like J-music. Just the catchy tunes, really. My favorite artist has to be Utada Hikaru.

Posted by Dexter

Quoting Dark: My favorite artist has to be Utada Hikaru.

The piano version of "First Love" is a quick reminder of my older cosplaying days. I play that song and a powerful aura of nostalgia come fluttering into my mind. I have more memories with that song than possibly any other.

Most of my cosplaying friends listen to J-Music, so I have been introduced to a large portion of it. I was just listening to "Kaja Kaja Goo" by Polysics earlier. It was freaky.

Posted by Chronic

American considering I dont think Ive ever heard Jappanesse music befor. except mabey a couple video games, but its just not my style.

Posted by Ant

Quoting Fate: Dir en Grey, Malice Mizer, and Gackt say that Japanese pop/rock is better.

Thanks for the names. I downloaded some of their stuff and I'm enjoying it so far :D

Posted by Velvet Nightmare

I am actually a really big fan of Japanese music, primarily metal and rock. The closest that I've gotten to rap is some of Orange Range's stuff, and some Rip Slyme. Other than that, my favorite bands would have to include:

Asian Kung Fu Generation
Cool Joke
Dir En Grey
L'arc~En~Ciel
Malice Mizer
Funeral Rites
Hydra
Sex Machineguns
Vandal Killer
Orange Range
The Seatbelts/Yoko Kanno
BoA