War of the Worlds

Posted by Pacifico

Yet another adaptation on a book by H.G. Wells. It's starring Tom Cruise and Dakota Fanning, so I don't expect to many flaws with the acting, and it's also directed by Steven Spielburg :cool:. Looks good.

There's a few trailer's to pick from, but I suggest "Trailer 3".
http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hv&cf=trailer&id=1808412033&intl=us

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

It will either be amazing, or a massive disappointment.

At this point, I imagine I'll be blown away by the effects, but not impressed by the actually adaption.

So I'll have to sever the the connection of the two to enjoy it. Probably.

Posted by Jak Pattinson

this film has to be good in some way. they're spending more on it then what they spent to produce titanic. that's a record! hopefullly, from the trailers that i've seen, the movie will be pleasing to watch. it looks great enyway. cool

Posted by maian

Is that girl Dakota Fanning? The girl who used to be a carbon copy of my little sister? o_O

I expect it to be good. Spielberg has never let me down, and I don't feel he will this time. I haven't read the book, but it won't dissapoint, methinks.

Posted by Creature

I don't think its going to be that good. They already made a War of the Worlds and it is the stupidest movie ever. But the effects are going to be amanzing

Posted by Klarth

I saw it on monday, and without a doubt it's the best film I've seen this decade. Hell, it's the only film I've seen that's had my jaw dropped the whole way through. Some of the dialogue is null, but the effects really will blow you away.

recommended.

Posted by Zeratul

I saw it and still liked the original better, thought the ship underwater was cool

Posted by G-Sides

---------SPOILERS----------

There were quite a few changes between this movie and the book.

1) Completely different time periods. The book was set in like, the 1930's but this movie was set in present.
2) How the aliens come to earth. In the book, they come down in these cylinders and build the machines. In the movie, they surf down on lightening and immediately start using the tripods (which were buried in the ground).
3) The look of the aliens. In the book, they're described as black creatures with huge eyes and an octopus like body (with tentacles and all). For those of you who played Earthbound, the way the aliens were described in the book look almost like the Octobots, except with a few changes. In the movie, they... don't look like that.
4) In the book, the aliens actually go and find humans and suck the blood from them for the nutrients, and then spit the nutrient-free blood out. In the movie, it doesn't really seem like they're doing that.
5) Character structure. In the book, there main character is just one man (but for a little while, some random hobo is with him), no daughters or sons or any body else. In the movie, he has his son and daughter. Blah.

Aside from that, though, kick ass movie. :cool:

Posted by Axis

Best movie I've seen in a long time. I actually went to go see it in theaters twice, and that's something I rarely do with movies these days. I highly recommend this movie to anyone who plans on seeing it.

Posted by Jak Pattinson

teh movie was nice. it got pretty tense at some parts but whas really cool. i thought the endign was dissapointing. it never really showed any scenes of what was happening anywhere else, like in japan. the acting was decent too. nice.

Posted by inequity

-----*spoiler**spoiler**spoiler**spoiler**spoiler*-----

Hm, can someone explain to me what exactly happened at the ending?? From what I understand those, alien things, malfunctioned from drinking the water and eating the food on earth?? If thats the case, thats pretty lame.

Posted by Y4kMISFIT

Quoting Inequity: -----*spoiler**spoiler**spoiler**spoiler**spoiler*-----

Hm, can someone explain to me what exactly happened at the ending?? From what I understand those, alien things, malfunctioned from drinking the water and eating the food on earth?? If thats the case, thats pretty lame.

Pretty much. That's how it ended in the origional movie. Speilburg probably would have gotten a lot of sh1t thrown at him if he completely changed the story line. The origional movie was really popular when it came out (I don't know the year, but it was good graphics for it's time) so changing the ending would've ticked some people off.

How else could they end it? Humanity was getting 0wn3d.

Posted by Aioros

Quoting G-Sides: 3) The look of the aliens. In the book, they're described as black creatures with huge eyes and an octopus like body (with tentacles and all). For those of you who played Earthbound, the way the aliens were described in the book look almost like the Octobots, except with a few changes. In the movie, they... don't look like that.

[COLOR=Yellow]They do look like that in the movie. Huge black eyes, and an octopus-like body, they even walked around with their tentacles.[/COLOR]

Quoting G-Sides: 5) Character structure. In the book, there main character is just one man (but for a little while, some random hobo is with him), no daughters or sons or any body else. In the movie, he has his son and daughter. Blah.

[COLOR=Yellow]That's true. The message in the book was how life is insignificant, therefore the ending made sense. In the movie, since Tom Cruise had to look over his kids, it had a message of how significant life is, which is why the ending didn't really fit the movie as it did the book.[/COLOR]

Posted by Pacifico

This was a very good movie. Spielburg really did a spectacular job with the effects and story. I'm sorta speechless since I was so dazzled by this film, but can't wait to see it win a bunch of awards.

Posted by Echo

Quoting Inequity: -----*spoiler**spoiler**spoiler**spoiler**spoiler*-----

Yeah, essentially. The bacteria that we as humans have evolved to live with every day killed them. The aliens had a different immune system, one that couldn't cope with the simple bacteria that we can. I personally love the ending.

Anywho, I saw the movie Thursday. Really, really good.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Good Flick

Posted by Shin_Akuma

I saw the movie, it was great. Easily one of the best movies of the year along with Batman Begins and Fantastic Four.

Quoted post: Fantastic Four.

Horrible.

Posted by Prince Redon

I went to see Mr. and Mrs. Smith last night and it was better than I thought, but when I walked by The War of The Worlds theatre I heard a huge explosion that shook the doors....I wish it had been earlier in the day...Then I would have made sure no one was hurt during that explosion, and maybe making sure nothing else went wrong during the whole movie...;) but unfortunetly it was 1 in the morning and that was the last one showing for the night, and I think it was almost over.

Anyway, Hi.

Posted by Shin_Akuma

Quoting Vampiro: Horrible.

How So?

How so?! have you ever read the comic books, or have any idea what the Fantastic Four are about?

They ****ed up everything. VON DOOM HAD POWERS! WHAT THE HELL?! Von Doom was never supposed to be on the ship with Reeds and co, he was never supposed to be altered with radiation like the rest, and
Reed and Doom were never supposed to be friends. They're supposed to be college rivals. Reeds was done well, they showed his intellect, however Doom is supposed to his equal, or even smarter. Which he wasn't. He was a whiney ***** who only wanted to destroy Reeds. In the comics Doom was a complete badass. He was burnt during an experiment which caused him to dawn a metallic costume, and all he wanted to do was cause trouble and bring doom to peoples lives. Which wasn't in the film at all. He
was never burnt, he had no reason to put on a costume at all. Plus, he was cunning, but not very smart.

Sue was just... bad. Though it was Alba, so that was expected. Plus, she was WAY to young for the role. However, he did handle it ok... just excuted it poorly.

Jonny was fantastic. Plain and simple. Him and Reeds were the redeeming quality of the movie (oh, and the joking around between Grimm and Jonny).

Grimm looked awful, though was played ok.

The SX were just plain bad. Some were ok, but others were horrible. As was the score. It was either nonexistant, or poorly done.

Really cheesey humour/parts (dog covering his eyes with his paws... wow), a bird ****ting on Grimm, et cetera.

Oh, and the whole Grimm-wife thing. Blagh

Overall, if it was set in the sixties, like it should have been, directed or wrote by someone who knew the comics, and centered around the Space Race, it could have been, well, fantastic..

Posted by Klarth

A tad off-topic, but...

Listen to the soundtrack for the musical version. It's pretty **** good.

Posted by G-Sides

---SPOILER PICS---

Quoting Aioros: [COLOR=Yellow]They do look like that in the movie. Huge black eyes, and an octopus-like body, they even walked around with their tentacles.[/COLOR]

Excuse me, but [url=http://www.cinematical.com/images/2005/05/warofworldsaliens.jpg]this[/url] doesn't really look like what you just described. And if I remember correctly, the "tentecles" were jointed in the movie. I don't remember octopus's having jointed legs. :o
Their eyes aren't all that big, and the only octopus-like feature of them is the shape of their head.

Posted by Klarth

I think he thinks the walker majiggers were the actual aliens.

Posted by G-Sides

Heh, no, I don't. :\

Posted by Stranger

umm i saw and ii cant say i was disappointed i knew that movie wasn't going to be as good as it look the was just too much that didn't add up. like for one if the aliens were watching us for as long as they say then wouldnt they know that they couldnt eat our food?...and if an EMP went off why did that guys video camra work?

Quoted post: and if an EMP went off why did that guys video camra work?

Hah, how many times have I seen that question asked?

Posted by MetalVox~55

I asked the same thing, but then I realised that it's just a movie.

Posted by Master Chief 12

Quoting Klarth: I think he thinks the walker majiggers were the actual aliens.

[Font=Tahoma][Size=2][Color=Orange]Actually, the walker things are vehicles that the 'real' aliens drive. By the way, those walkers look suspiciously like the ones in Half Life 2.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Quoted post: Actually, the walker things are vehicles that the 'real' aliens drive. By the way, those walkers look suspiciously like the ones in Half Life 2.

Tripods. And the idea of the Tripods have been around a hell of a lot longer than HL2.

Quoted post: I asked the same thing, but then I realised that it's just a movie.

Good point.

Posted by Dreadnought

I think that is the only film I have ever seen that did the original work justice. Special effects, carnage, macabre dust, and massive soundtrack, they changed the storyline very little. Modernisation, Relationship tweaking and human interest re-allignment are all tasteful and elegantly executed. I recommend it heartily to everyone I see.

Posted by Bebop

Tom Cruise. Steven Speilberg. One actor. One director. But what do they have in common? They haven't been part of a good film for a few years. This film is no excpetion.

Speilberg somehow manages to destroy the story of War of the Worlds better than any other director. Aside from a few good bits the whole things feels to drag on alot, with the occasional over the top and cheesey moment. A suspenful scene in the basement was the best bit of the film but even that seemed to go on far too long. Wait, I tell a lie. The best bit was when the aliens started attacking and blasted the utter **** out of everyone. Awseome.

Cruise on the other hand plays a dumbarse who cant get his head straight or stop freaking out. He is outacted by an annoying **** girl who knows everything about everything. He also has some emo **** of a son who buggers off to die but mysteriously appears at the end of the film with no explanation. By the way, if you dont want the film ruined dont read the previous sentence. Just following Cruise and a 5 year old whore really isnt that great. But it gets worse.

For no reason whats so ever the aliens die. Now I know HOW they die and unless youve read the book or watched the original youd have no clue why these guys are raping Earth one minute and than just dying the next. Crap.

I wasn't prepared to waste my energy on such a let down of a film. So I'll sum it up:Where its good its very good but sadly that doesnt happen alot. Unfortunately the majority of the film drags on with some annoying ***** and Cruise until it builds up to a terrible and quick conclusion. See something else.

Posted by Chronic

I liked this movie but of course I never saw the origanil film and I never read the book so they may be better I dont know.

Posted by veritas

SPOILER

From what I understand, the aliens were'nt use to our bacteria. I also thought it was lame, but my friend liked it

Posted by Gollum

The little girl was possibly the most annoying character I've ever seen in a movie. The screaming got me right away. Not to mention the son being an idiot by driving into all those people. And then of course there's the way he goes crazy and starts going off into a suicide battle and magically reappears at the end with no lost limbs or anything.

And the ending left me wondering what the hell was going on. The birds defecated on it and it died or something.

Quoted post: And the ending left me wondering what the hell was going on. The birds defecated on it and it died or something.

Though they did a ****ty job at explaining, they did explain it somehwta. Enough for anyone to understand anyways.