The Bravery

Posted by Fate

"An Honest Mistake" is, I think, a really good song. I've heard of The Bravery before, but I never heard their songs. Since I've heard "An Honest Mistake," I've been really impressed.

Does anyone else like this band?

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

I've never even heard of them. What are they like?

Posted by Fate

I don't think you'd like them. I guess it's a sidestep from myself, too, since the music is classified as alternative rock/indie.

Posted by William

I like them, even though I've only heard "An Honest Mistake". They somewhat remind me of Franz Ferdinand.

Pretty decent nonetheless.

Posted by brownoystercult

Great song. "Public service announcement", by The Bravery is also a hot track you should listen too.

Posted by TheSecondComing

They're the latest in a long line of trendy bands who I dislike.

Posted by Porcupine

Heard them live a couple times, not bad, if indie.

Posted by Fate

Quoting TheSecondComing: They're the latest in a long line of trendy bands who I dislike.

**** if I care if they're trendy. I just like their music, not their reputation.

Learn something and then come back so I can allow you to speak in my midst.

Posted by Acheron

Haha. Good job, Fate.

Anyway, I definitely agree that The Bravery is good music. A lot better than Franz Ferdinand, actually. If you're into them, give Bloc Party and The Futureheads a try.

Posted by Fate

I like Bloc Party, but I've never heard of The Futureheads. I'll see if I can find anything.

Quoting Fate: **** if I care if they're trendy. I just like their music, not their reputation.

Well, that's the point. They are trying so hard to be trendy and 'indiecool' in every song of theirs I've heard that it shines through otherwise mediocre postpunk and makes it outstandingly bad and typical of modern indie.

Quoted post: A lot better than Franz Ferdinand, actually.

No.

Franz Ferdinand is the only hugely trendy indie band in the last few years that's actually been any good.

Quoted post: If you're into them, give Bloc Party and The Futureheads a try.

Bloc Party: see previous opinions on Bravery
Futureheads: if they revelled a bit more in their originality, they'd be great

Posted by Klarth

If they're anything like Franz Ferdinand or Kaiser Chefs, I'd probably like them. Anywhere I could download a single track or something?

Posted by William

Try clicking "Listen" on this page Majesty:

http://electrocore.com/music/bravery.php

Posted by Fate

[QUOTE=TheSecondComing]Well, that's the point. They are trying so hard to be trendy and 'indiecool' in every song of theirs I've heard that it shines through otherwise mediocre postpunk and makes it outstandingly bad and typical of modern indie.

I'm so sure that the members of the band collectively decided to suck.

stfu

Quoting Fate: I'm so sure that the members of the band collectively decided to suck.

stfu

They didn't 'decide' to suck. They're self-conscious indie kids trying to be cool. They probably think they're succeeding.

Posted by Fate

Music is music, indie or not. You couldn't possibly call yourself intelligent by disliking an entire genre.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

I really like their song "honest mistake", and it's the only song by them I know, so I can farily say that I like their song.

K.

Quoting Fate: Music is music, indie or not. You couldn't possibly call yourself intelligent by disliking an entire genre.

I don't dislike indie. I'd call myself an 'indie', if I had to pigeonhole myself in a clique. What I don't like is how the sudden trendiness of indie with every lazy, sensationalist music journalist and moronic OC fan has meant that bands making shallow rip-offs of Gang of Four or the Velvet Underground are celebrated, then buried in a huge, stupid press backlash immediately following their overrated debut.

Posted by Fate

I don't know what's with the trend either, but if I hear a good song I'd like to think of it as just music.

Posted by William

If you want to hear some of their other songs, just go to:

http://www.thebravery.com/

and click, "Launch Music Player".

I personally like "No Brakes" better than "An Honest Mistake".

Posted by Velvet Nightmare

I've been listening to The Bravery ever since I heard that they were going on tour with Ash last year. My favorite songs by them are "No Brakes," "Tyrant," "Swollen Summer," "Hot Sunshiney Day," and "Honest Mistake," which are all off of the CD "No Brakes"

Posted by Acheron

Quoting TheSecondComing: I don't dislike indie. I'd call myself an 'indie', if I had to pigeonhole myself in a clique. What I don't like is how the sudden trendiness of indie with every lazy, sensationalist music journalist and moronic OC fan has meant that bands making shallow rip-offs of Gang of Four or the Velvet Underground are celebrated, then buried in a huge, stupid press backlash immediately following their overrated debut.

You're exactly the sort of person that makes me hate being called an indie kid.

Posted by Fate

I've heard "No Brakes" before and I absolutely loved it.

Quoted post: I don't know what's with the trend either, but if I hear a good song I'd like to think of it as just music.

The thing is, I don't think of them as good songs, and that's mainly why I don't like them. The trendiness is merely the major factor in the poor quality of a lot of modern music particularly indie. Inexperienced bands are signed for huge advances and encouraged to make bland, mainstream-tolerable and unchallenging records. The same thing happened with grunge - mediocre bands got hyped to the point of annoyance, and the sudden popularity available to the bands made them 'sell-out', or make easily digestable music, so that they could tap in to the huge market.

Another thing I don't like about modern indie is how every single band rips off Gang of Four, but I guess nobody's intested in that.

Quoting Acheron: You're exactly the sort of person that makes me hate being called an indie kid.

What happened to you, Acheron? You used to be cool. :)

Posted by Fate

I doubt Gang of Four was the first indie band.

Quoting Fate: I doubt Gang of Four was the first indie band.

THEY'RE NOT AND I NEVER SAID THEY WERE. THEIR STYLE OF MUSIC IS ONE OF THE MOST COMMONLY RIPPED OFF IN INDIE MUSIC, PARTICULARLY 'DANCY' INDIE MUSIC.

Alright?

Posted by Fate

"Their style" of indie? Please. Now you're going to tell me that every rock song is a rip of 70s rock.

All right? kthx 4 lissenen

Posted by Acheron

Jesus Christ... I've listened to Gang of Four, and then I've listened to The Bravery, The Futureheads, Bloc Party, et al. Guess what? I don't remember a single Gang of Four song. They're just not nearly as memorable, catchy, or just high-quality as the newer stuff. You're the archetype of the snooty indie kid who disses bands simply because they've borrowed ideas from another group. And older is OBVIOUSLY better. Now let's all poke fun of Interpol because they ripped off Joy Division!

Quoting Acheron: Jesus Christ... I've listened to Gang of Four, and then I've listened to The Bravery, The Futureheads, Bloc Party, et al. Guess what? I don't remember a single Gang of Four song. They're just not nearly as memorable, catchy, or just high-quality as the newer stuff. You're the archetype of the snooty indie kid who disses bands simply because they've borrowed ideas from another group. And older is OBVIOUSLY better. Now let's all poke fun of Interpol because they ripped off Joy Division!

You're a goddamn idiot! I don't even like Gang of Four!

Now I'll try and explain it simply so you can understand it - currently there's about 5-10 mildly popular indie bands out there who are ALL PLAYING THE SAME KIND OF MUSIC, and it doesn't help that the particular kind of music they're playing was already bland to me. It gets BORING. The bands in current 'neo nu new' wave or whatever the hell it's called ALL SOUND THE SAME. This is mainly why I dislike them.

I don't care that they 'borrow' ideas, most bands I like rely heavily on their predecessors. I do care that all of the current crop of indie bands borrow the same idea, and then flood every indie place I go to with their repetitive drivel to the point that I can't tell one band from the other. Newer isn't necessarily worse, but in my books, a bunch of repetitive bands who sound the same is.

It's irrelevant that they steal their ideas, but for whatever reason, they all have the same idea and it keeps repeating.

For the record, I like Interpol more than Joy Division anyway.

Posted by Acheron

Oh, so you don't like Gang of Four? Maybe you could have told us that instead of spouting the same "They all sound the same" bullshit I hear from every kid who calls himself "indie". The Futureheads do a lot more harmony and a cappella than any of the other soundalikes, The Bravery are more electronically-driven and danceable, Kaiser Chiefs are usually slower-paced and more mellow (though in some songs they're the hardest of the bunch), and Bloc Party makes considerably darker music, with distinctive vocals and guitars.

They don't sound exactly the same. Get over it. Making that comment is the quickest way to get any serious music buff to laugh at you. Besides, the only purpose I can see of that comment was to incite this drawn out flame war. Good job, buddy.

Quoting TheSecondComing: Eh... I don't really like The Bravery at all. Them, as well as the rest of the Gang of Four-soundalike bands have never really appealed to me.

That was a great post. A pity it never happened.

Posted by Fate

The fact that the bands sound different from each other is enough reason to say, "Hey, they don't sound alike. Duh." I like dancy indie music, which is why I like The Bravery. It's not repetitive if the bands don't repeat each other. :|

Posted by Fate

Man, I missed this thread. Anyhow, The Bravery has a new album coming out on May 22, so I'm pretty excited. If you guys care to hear this type of music (techno/synth/not-emo/indie-type stuff) then I suggest you listen to The Leak on [url=http://www.mtv.com/music/the_leak/bravery/the_sun_and_the_moon/]here[/url]. The Sun And The Moon comes out soon!

I'm totally digging this album.