Movies on Demand taking over rental stores?

Posted by Mystic Hero

Lately I've noticed that some cable companies have added their own pay per view channels to select movies form. Now from what I remember from dish, this is a lot different because you aren't limited to just the movies on the pay per view channels. Now you have around five or more hcannels to select movies from. They give you a list of tons of movies to choose from. Now here is the thing, since this new way of watching movies has occured is it possable for movie rental stores such as Blockbuster and Hollywood to go out of business in the near future? The way most movie rental sotres make money is not from the rentals themselves but from the late fees, seeing as most people tend to forget about the due date or just want to keep it a little longer. Since movies on demand has been added it poses a threat against movie rental stores everywhere. You can order a movie for a cheap price without having to leave your home and it runs for 24 hours in which you may pause, rewind, fastforward, etc. So you won't need to worry about late fees. Now I know the movie library may limited right now for selection, but I think that in just a few years movies on demand will have all the good hits selectable to watch right from your TV so you won't have to get up and leave your house to rent a movie. So without having to worry about late fees, movies on demand has a very good chance on over taking the rental stores in years to come. But will it actually happen? Should Blockbuster and other movie rental stores be shaking for the new way to rent movies from your home? Or do they simply have nothing to worry about? I think they should be worrying a little, there is a good chance that it could happen and movie rental stores may go out of business, or they may start their own movies on demand channel just in case. Your thoughts?

Posted by G-Sides

Yeah dude, we have digital cable and the OnDemand service and I can watch atleast over 20 different movies whenever I want from Showtime or HBO (and more from normal channels). I can also watch certain Adult Swim shows whenever I want to and more. :cool:

Posted by Mystic Hero

I know there are about six or more channels featuring movies and TV series that you can order at a low price. What I am wondering is if movie rental sotres even have a chance against this new competitor. I do think they have something to fear. You don't have to worry about late charges if you just order the movie on youru TV. 24 hour access.

Posted by G-Sides

Well first off, you can't use OnDemand to order games (obviously) and you don't get "special features" or anything that come on most DVDs. Another advantage rental stores have is that most of the time you can keep the rented item for at least 5 days before you have to pay late-fees. The longest viewing time I've ever seen for an OnDemand movie is 24 hours before it gets deleted off your rentals menu (although you can go and order the movie again and just fast forward to where ever you were before it got taken off :D). Rental stores also have a much larger selection than the OnDemand menus.

Posted by Legend Saber

I never watched too many paid On Demand movies, but I liked a lot of the other On Demand stuff (especially the free anime and Adult Swim stuff, not to mention the informative stuff like the History Channel and Discovery), and some of their free movies were pretty good. Eventually, I think TV channels as we know them will become obsolete, and almost all programming will be done in an On Demand fashion. Of course, this means that store like Blockbuster and other rental places will go out of business in their current form, but eventually they'll probably start making deals with Comcast and some of the other companies, and they'll still be around, just in a different form.

Posted by Mystic Hero

It's very likely if OnDemand decides to put most movies int ehir library. If indeed the movie rental stores are starting to sweat, they may infact have to come back with their own OnDemand channel. Movie rental stores will soon become obsolete.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

I've never order a PPV movie, and I haven't rented in about 10 years. I just buy the movies (used at Gamestop) and return them if they suck.