The Nintendo Revolution FAQ.

Posted by Proto Man

I made this FAQ for those who still don't know what the Revolution is. I also made it in hopes of reducing threads asking about it. Enjoy! :)

This thread has the lowdown on everything that is known about the Nintendo Revolution. I will not put the rumors about the Revolution because really, all they are is just rumors. We don't know if they are true or not, so why include it? All information given is the confirmed information.

Now about the Revolution.

#1. What IS the Revolution?

The Nintendo Revolution is Nintendo's successor to the Nintendo GameCube, and is Nintendo's 5th console. Physically speaking, the Revolution has a sleek design. Instead of a Cube like the last system though, it has a rectangular solid shape. The system is as thick as three stacked DVD cases. The front has a self loading disc slot.

#2. What medium will the games use?

Nintendo will still keep with the disc format, but this time will break away from the little 8cm discs. This time they will be using 12cm DVD discs. How much they will hold is unknown at the moment.

#2a. What about the report I heard about Nintendo going back to cartridges?

That was an April Fools joke.

#3. Can I play my GameCube games on it?

Yes, besides being a new system, the Revolution will essentially be a GameCube. The Revolution will be compatable with all GameCube games, controllers and memory cards. On the side of the Revolution, a panel opens to reveal 4 GCN controller ports, and two GCN memory card slots.

#3a. Does that mean I don't need my GCN anymore?

Nonsense, as of now it is unknown if the Game Boy Player is compatible with the Revolution. Besides which, it's always a good secondary system for the younger sibblings to play while you have the Revolution all to yourself

#4. What are the Revolution's specs?

Well there hasn't been any official word on speeds, bits, and stuff like that. It is known though that ATI is doing the graphics card again, the GPU is codenamed "Hollywood". IBM will also be doing the CPU again, it is codenamed "Broadway. For memory, MoSys will be providing their 1T-SRAM technology. As far as ports go, like I said before, there will be the GCN stuff on the side. There will also be 2 USB 2.0 ports. It is unknown if there will be any serial ports.

#4a. Will the Revolution have a hard drive?

The Revolution will not have an internal hard drive, but will have something similar. The system will have 512 MB of Flash Memory for saving games, demos, patches, ETC... to.

#4b. What if I need more?

Well, if your that memory hungry, the Revolution will have two slots for SD Memory cards which now come with up to 1 Gigabite of memory. That should hold you for a while

#5. You mentioned DVD technology, does that mean the Revolution will be able to play DVDs?

Not right out of the box, you will though when you buy a seperate "self contained" attachment. Not quite sure what that is yet.

#6. What will be used for video/audio connection?

A single proprietary output for video and audio.

#6a. Will HDTV be supported?

No, Nintendo has decided that HDTV is not as important to gaming as Sony and Microsoft do. I agree, and really don't care if it does or not. HDTV is expensive and not everyone can afford it.

#6b. What is HDTV?

If you don't have one, don't worry about it for now. If you really want to know, then [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDTV"]look it up[/url].

#7. Will the Revolution be online this time?

Yes, finally Nintendo is embracing online gaming, and it is worth the wait, because unlike services like XBOX Live, Nintendo will NOT charge for it's own online service. That means that their own online games will be free.

#7a. Does that mean there will be Smash Brothers Online?

Yes my friend that is a really good possibillity. Infact Satoru Iwata is personally pushing for it to be a launch title. This might finally might be the thing that could put a dent in the XBOX Live/Halo Online empire.

#7b. What about third parties such as EA, Capcom, Sega, ETC...

Well Nintendo has said that if third parties want to charge, then they can. Sega has done this already with it's Phantasy Star Online for the GCN.

#8. So what makes the Revolution so "revolutionary"?

Well in addition to being able to do the things that were already mentioned, the Revolution will also be a "Virtual Console". This means that you will be able to play Nintendo's library of NES, SNES, and N64 games via downloading online. They will be downloaded online to the internal flash memory, and/or SD cards. In addition to this service, the Revolution's controller is supposedly the other key component to being revolutionary.

#8a. Will this service be free as well?

It has been confirmed that it will not be totally free, but Nintendo hasn't decided whether to charge per game, or make it a subscription service. They may even be promotions for pre-ordering/buying Revolution games.

#8b. So what about third party games? Will we be able to play the old Castlevania games?

Nintendo is currently talking to other companies in joining on.

#8c. Will ALL Nintendo games including Japanese and Famicom Disk System titles be availibe?

There are many speculations, but there is no "Official" game list. As of right now we do not know.

#8d. What is a Famicom Disk System?

Question is kinda irrelevent, but is a Nintendo add-on that played games on a special disk format. Never was released in Japan.

#9. So what about the controller?

Well, nothing much is known about the controller, Nintendo is still playing around with the design, and how it will be used and such. You may have heard what is "thought" to be truth about this controller, but those are RUMORS, so do not take it for truth. Nintendo has confirmed that the controllers will be wireless though.

#9a. I heard that it may have a touch screen, and what about the gyro sensors?

I told you, those are rumors. Yes Nintendo has invested in Gyration, a company that makes PC controllers using gyroscopes, but really, that means nothing in terms of what we are talking about now. Nintendo may use that technology elsewhere.

#10. When will this new system come out?

Nintendo has said that they will reveal the system's true specs and controller at the end of this year. The system itself should be comming out in late 2006.

#10a. I thought I heard Nintendo was going to be the first one out the chute this time?

I thought so too, but no.

#10b. What will the price be?

That is unknown, but Nintendo says that they want to keep it relatively low priced.

#11. One last question, how will the retro games be played?

Interesting question, and I myself have my theories, but there have been no confirmation on it.

So there you have it, the the Revolution in one FAQ. Please check here often as I will be adding info as it comes. If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask, and I will add them and try to answer them in the FAQ. Thank you for reading! :)

Posted by Big Boss

[QUOTE=Protoman]#6b. What is HDTV?

If you don't have one, don't worry about it for now. If you really want to know, then [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDTV"]look it up[/url].

Oh, you should. I've been playing games on standard TVs my whole life, and the expensive (but worthy) move to HD made every game I played look 100 times better. It's completely worth it.

[QUOTE=Protoman]#7. Will the Revolution be online this time?

Yes, finally Nintendo is embracing online gaming, and it is worth the wait, because unlike services like XBOX Live, Nintendo will NOT charge for it's own online service. That means that their own online games will be free.

"Online services like Xbox Live." Currently, there's only one online service in the console industry that requires a fee to play online. Plus, it's unfair to compare Nintendo's online model for the Revolution with the Xbox's. Let's compare it with a competitor instead, shall we? The Xbox 360, for example, which will have optional free online play with Xbox Silver.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Big Boss]one online service in the console industry that requires a fee to play online. Plus, it's unfair to compare Nintendo's online model for the Revolution with the Xbox's. Let's compare it with a competitor instead, shall we? The Xbox 360, for example, which will have optional free online play with Xbox Silver.[/color]

Ok, I keep forgetting about the Playstation Online thing, sorry.

I never said a thing about Xbox though. I said Xbox Live.

[quote=Xbox.com]
Xbox Live: Xbox Live is where games and entertainment come alive, the only unified place where you can play with anyone, anytime, anywhere. And the best just got better. Connect your Xbox 360 to your broadband connection and get instant access to Xbox Live Silver. Express your digital identity through your Gamertag and gamer card, talk with others using voice chat, and access Xbox Live Marketplace

Posted by Axis

Well, too only pay 50 bucks a year for Xbox Live, I think it's totally worth it.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Dyers Eve: Well, too only pay 50 bucks a year for Xbox Live, I think it's totally worth it.

It's a good deal... but I'd rather have free. :)

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: Oh, you should. I've been playing games on standard TVs my whole life, and the expensive (but worthy) move to HD made every game I played look 100 times better. It's completely worth it.

Yeah, I don't have the money to afford one right now, but the difference is amazing. It's almost difficult to play games on my normal TV now (my friend has an HDTV)

Quoted post: It's a good deal... but I'd rather have free.

Of course, but look at what Microsoft is offering. Do you think Nintendo will have the same features? Or even compare to it? No. You can only get that kind of quality by paying.

Oh, and IGN has a better FAQ then this, so I'd check there.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Vampiro: Oh, and IGN has a better FAQ then this, so I'd check there.

Never meant to be better than IGN. Still, even though it isn't as in depth as IGN, it does it's job, which is to inform people what the DS is. :)

Posted by Hyper

Quoting Protoman: Never meant to be better than IGN. Still, even though it isn't as in depth as IGN, it does it's job, which is to inform people what the DS is. :)

You mean what the Revolution is.