Best single level on an N64 game

Posted by D.J Cat

The N64 had many great games, but in every great game, everyone has a level they personally loved, where you feel the games designers got it just right. Its the sort of level that keeps you coming back for more, possibily just to have a go on that level.

Some of my favourites where:

Bob-omb Battlefield (Super Mario 64) :
This is the very first level in Mario 64 and introduces you into the game. When I think of ths game this is the level that immediatley comes to mind. Even after getting everything in the level and even in the game I found myself coming back to this level to muck around in.
There were so many things you could do like;
annoy bob-ombs,
fall asleep as close to possible from chain chomp,
try to reach the top of the mountain on the Koopa shell
get the free life to come from the tree near the cannon behind the chain-chomp then run around the level trying to outrun the free life.
Fly around the level for as long as possible just doing whatever, occasionley doing spins towards the ground and pulling up at the last moment, and going under the bridges.
Trying to shoot yourslef from one cannon into another :D

Facility (Goldenye and Perfect Dark) :
As well as being one of the best single player levels in Goldenye this made for a brilliant deathmatch level. The first time we played in 4 player was great. We were amazed by all the little details, like the wash your hands symbols in the toilets and the little splashing noise it makes when you shoot into the toilet.
It returned in Perfect Dark and remains just as good if not better for killing people and is one of my 2 most played levels...

Area 52 (Perfect Dark) :
I found this to be the best level in Perfect Dark on the combat simulator. The design feels great with an excelent mix of corridors and open combat. The gaurd tower part was great fun (sometimes frustrating...very frustrating) but my favourite part of the level is what me and my friends call the "safe house". Its that room with one door and about 6 widnows which you can open and close from the inside and out. We had so much fun holding that position with 5 of us (4 players and a sim) when 7 sims were coming at us. We'd have Gold Magnums, Callisto NTG's, AR34's and K7 Avengers limed up and ready to blast away.

Port Blue (Wave Race) :
This level had a nice industrial sort of setting and it was great fun zooming around this course. The music was also great.

Big Blue (F-Zero X ) :
This level was so much fun the the first time I raced on it and always a favourite in multiplayer. The feeling of being able to go right around the outside of the pipe as your going around is great and yeah just good fun.

Big Snowman (Snowaboard Kids) :
I only got this game about a year ago (not including playing it a little bit about 6 years ago) and this is already one of my favourites. The design of the level is amazing starting off simple before opening out into a wide area and suddeley going down a steep slope across the flat, through the tunnel...but I won't give to much away.
The music to this level is the best music in the game by far. It really has to be heard to be described but it does so much.
I thought the music was good but then I heard it on a kick arse stereo system and it makes ot even cooler. I'm not usually much for Bass but it goes right off its rocker (in a good way).

So, what are your favourites...

Posted by Leon S Kennedy

I don't know if alot of the game's I played had Levles. They'd usually be RPG's like The legend of Zelda and paper mario.

If I'd pick I'd have to say Conqures bad fur day because it had some halirous bits in it!

Posted by Madame Flurrie

The Forest Temple in Ocarina of Time and the Crystal Palace in Paper Mario are two of my all time favorite dungeons. Mischief Makers has a lot of fun levels, but I don't know if I could pick a favorite... :)

Posted by Last Fog

Quoting Flame ghost: I should say that my favorite of all would be perfect dark. I enjoy playin it, and my favorite gun is the dragon. :devil:

Way to miss the whole point of the thread, moron. :mad:

The first that comes to mind is Rainbow Ride from SM64. Prolly not my fav., but a fun level at least.

Posted by Dexter

Goldneye's Bunker level during single player is a terrific level. I have probably spent more time on that level than any other level in any other game in history. There are enough enemies scattered around and they are located at excellent places so that they come towards me in different directions. Using a GameShark code that enables all the enemies to come after me from the beginning, it makes this level wonderfully replayable. You just have to play it the right way. For multiplayer, however, the complex is brilliant. I've recently realized that it is very fun taking away all the body armor from the level. It changes the game style dramatically. It is a shame I didn't really enjoy many of the levels in Perfect Dark, except for the remakes of levels from Goldeneye.

I really loved the levels in Banjo-Kazooie, especially the very last level where the sessions change. I don’t remember the name, but it was a pleasant surprise to end the game with.

I enjoyed a few levels in Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire, but that was one of my first 64 games so I was more easily amused at that time. The level in that purple castle and the really long level in the desert where you fly over towards those platforms were highlights of the journey. It has been so long since I last played that game, I bet I would really enjoy it again.

Turok had some wonderfully exciting levels.

Posted by Mixhael

007 Goldeneye: I'm not sure if it was titled "Railroad", but you basically walk your way through train cabs and cars shooting from behind boxes and stuff. I especially liked the ending where you had to kneel down and escape through the floor of the train with limited time. Great cab design, from the toilets to the sitting rooms and the padding on the walls.

Conker's Bad Fur Day: I think it was one of the last levels, but when Conker goes into the Graveyard and into the Haunted Mansion area its so beautifully designed I had too much fun playing it. Every challenge, every zombie animal, every corner and animation was so well done.

Spider-Man: Very underrated game because it's so short, but it has one of the best single levels I've ever played through. One of the ending chase scenes in which Doc Oc chases Spidey through a number of twists and turns & up and downs to escape the building and Doc Oc's claws.

Posted by mugman

Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time : Dodongos cavern, Goron City, Zora land place, Gerudos fortress and of course Hyrule oh and your homeland where you start were fantastic but only just better than all the other areas in the game.

Banjo Kazooie : Clip clop Wood how it changes seasons is magical.

Posted by D.J Cat

For Zelda: Ocarina of Time I really enjoyed the Spirit Temple.

The atmosphere of the place was great and just how far away it felt (and was) from anywhere else. Then there was the part how you did part of it when young and then came back.
The music was very good too.
And the boss battle was one of my favourites.

Posted by mario64ds

on goldeneye me and my friends would play multiplayer in a level i cant remember what its called, but we would creat our own basses and booby trap
them with bombs. ahh the good times

Posted by Ch

I have many favorites but the favorite would have to be the part when you sneak in the gerudo Fortress to get to the Sprit Temple. I love the whole feeling of espionage. and if you find one of the carpenters when you turn around theres a Gerudo waiting to duel you. Great level.

Posted by -Shadow-

The First 3 or 4 worlds in Mario 64 were awesome.
Just about all of the worlds in Banjo Kazooie were really good too.

Posted by ScudZteR

Quoting Mixhael: I'm not sure if it was titled "Railroad", but you basically walk your way through train cabs and cars shooting from behind boxes and stuff.

I think the level you are thinking of is called "train"

Goldeneye: he two best levels in the game just because of sheer man numbers were Surface2 and Egyptian. I like egyptian more though because it involves stepping on panels and avoiding minigun fire. Both those levels are great shoot em' up levels! :bangbang:

Posted by posem_diest

I've always thought that the Water Temple in Zelda Ocarina of Time was the defining moment of the game. That level is just mindbending, to me in any case, and all the follows after it is just kiddy play in comparison.

Can't get enough of that Castle Center in Castlevania 64, either. When that music hits you just know IT IS ON LIKE NECKBONE.

Posted by Jim Rome

The most memorable level for me in any 64 game is GETTING CHASED IN THE HEDGES BY A FRANKENSTIEN WANNABE MONSTER WITH A CHAINSAW in Castlevania 64.
As for best, I believe it was called Duel Tower in CV64, gawd all mighty, that was so painful yet so full-filling to play and finally beat. And people try to say Castlevania 64 blows. And of course, throw a few OoT levels, Goldeneye, PD and F-Zero stages in the mix, but for the life of me, I can't remember any of them in detail, yet CV64 levels stick in there like a thumbtack.

Posted by posem_diest

Yeah, Castlevania 64 was a memorable game. It just had that atmosphere to it, even if they blew the climax with having you climb the stairs backdropped by an UGLY UGLY PUKE GREY SKY even at night ohh how much better would it have been if the sky was pitch black, illuminated by a blood red moon? Castlevania 64 might have had some questionable levels, but when it did something right IT DID SOMETHING RIGHT BY GAWD. And now I feel a need to spoil the game so WHERE ARE MY SPOILER TAGS THIS ISN'T RAJAH WHERE AM I err

[spoiler]Vincent saving your sorry hide at the end was more memorable than anything in SOTN, even if they just forgot about him afterwards and made no mention of him while the castle was crumbling THAT HAS ALWAYS IRKED ME DID VINCENT MAKE IT OUT DID VINCENT LIVE OR DID VINCENT DIE if Rosa made it out then by gawd Vincent had better have.[/spoiler]

These games start to run together after awhile, but Banjo-Kazooie's later levels had some good stuff to them. Especially Mad Monster Mansion, that environment was ace. Donkey Kong 64's version couldn't even compare.

Posted by Slade

One of my favorite areas is Termina(the "junction" outside the city walls) in Zelda: Majora's Mask. I loved riding my horse through it, or just fighting all the creatures in it. It has such a diversity to it, with a little part of every area joined together. Also, when you find the kind of tai-chi guy(I can't remember his name), and dance for him to get his mask... suddenly hearing that creepy melody really got me going.

In Goldeneye, facility is the best... So many possible strategies for that level- brilliant design.

Many of the levels in Rayman 2 were very fun, too. That game is so smooth and beautiful...

Posted by SomeCrazyGuy

Facility (Goldeneye 007) - Brilliantly made level design, mission objectives, and enemy-placement... Fun to go through fast, fun to go through slow... Just fun any wya you look at it! n_n

ANY (Paper Mario) - Amazing... Every level of this game brought forth a new puzzle, challenge, or simple butt-kicking fun... A brilliant mixture of fun, challenge, and excitement brought me back to this game every time!

Joker? (Card Mini-boss of Rainbow Palace of Bomberman 64) - This stage is great for just having fun! You will have a fun time simply avoiding his attacks while trying to find time to attack him yourself!

Sorry I wasn't very descriptive here... I'm just tired.. n_n'

Posted by -Shadow-

[QUOTE=Dexter]
I really loved the levels in Banjo-Kazooie, especially the very last level where the sessions change. I don

Posted by Ganon

I'll name a few.

Super Mario 64 - The Egyptian level because of the pyramid. The pyramid was fun to explore.

Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Best field? Gerudo's Fortress is a cool hangout. Best dungeon? Spirit Temple, for it's architecture, music, and enemies.

Zelda: Majora's Mask - Best field? Clock Town, because of it's dynamacy. Best dungeon? Stone Tower Temple, for the music and complicatedness.

Goldeneye - The facility, by far. I used to play this level all the time when I was little, and used a GameShark code to unlock the whole level in multiplayer.

Posted by Flounder

mario 64 lv where you turn super BIG!

forgot the name sry and hope you know what one i am talking about

Posted by 007 ninja

I'd have to say either the Antenna Cradle level or like Dexter said, the Bunker in Goldeneye.

For England, James?
No, for me.
BYEBYE BITCH

I said the Bunker level because Rareware made so much of it despite the little bit of it that was in the movie. It was genius.

Posted by Sapphire Rose

The Train or the City levels from Goldeneye. I cant remember their exact names, but I was infatuated with those levels.

Oh! And All of the Star Cup tracks on Mario Kart 64.

Posted by Sean Fury

Quoting 007 ninja: I'd have to say either the Antenna Cradle level or like Dexter said, the Bunker in Goldeneye.

For England, James?
No, for me.
BYEBYE BITCH

Banjo-Kazooie: I really loved Click-Clock Wood, because you could go through all four seasons, and the fact that a lot of the puzzles carried over through each was really neat. It's my favorite BK level.

Super Mario 64: I think it would have to be Bob-omb Battlefield, just so much nostalgia from my first N64 game for that place...

Yoshi's Story: The very last stage, where you have to fight Bowser.

Mischief Makers: The first stage with the Clan People and the Clan Kids. It's just so much fun beating the hell out of those little kids...I mean...oops.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Posted by verystrait42

i would have to say the last level in SM64 where you faced bowser for the last time. it was a ***** but it was still fun

Posted by Wicked Sushi

For some of my favorite games:

Conker's Bad Fur Day
The "Rock Solid" episode, no questions about it. I mean, it's funny, because you can pee on others and then it's also challanging. Oh, and it has that cool techno song playing under it. I remember I used to go to that chapter just so I can listen to the song and watch Conker dance.
You can download it [url=http://www.rareware.com/extra/downloads/bfd/rock_solid.mp3]here[/url], if you want to hear it.

Super Mario 64
Big Boo's Haunt, because of it's creepy and darkiness. Also, the first mission it's pretty fun trying to find all the red coins.

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
I <3 the Snow region of Termina. It has an incredibly nice music and atmosphere; it's amazing. I also loved the dungeon and the whole ghost following part. And of course, the ending too, where the snow and ice somewhat disappears. :)

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Oh man, so many choices; Hyrule Temple, The Graveyard, Zora's Palace and so on, but my favorite has to be Kokiri Forest. I really like forests in games, but I especially like it in Zeldas (and in Lost Kingdom 2). It just has a cheery but somewhat intriguing feeling to it. But to tell you the truth, I dislike the dungeon in there; It's a bit simple and repetative, but the rest is awesome.

Posted by ExoXile

Ocarina of time:

Kokiri forest, heh.
What intruduced game is the one i remember the most so, Kokiri forest.
(All the other ones are as great too... but thread said single :( )

Posted by VirtualRealityZone

Quoting ExoXile: Ocarina of time:

Kokiri forest, heh.

Nuff' said. :D

Posted by SomeCrazyGuy

Wow... Maybe I should do an update...

Megaman 64 - Junen Lake (?)
This is the home of the cloaked drones... The msot fearsome enemy I've come across in this game. Swift, and with foreboding footsteps the echo throughout the room... You never know when you will be struck. The only tiem they appear is when they come in for a lunge, then quickly fade into obscurity... Are they on that platform? Is it right in front of me? Is it next to the treasure chest I have to get? I effing HATE cloaked enemies in ANY game.

Quest 64 - Brannoch Castle
A series of winding hallways, guarded by white rose and red rose knights, all with fearsome power... And rooms holding plot details of treatory, deciet, and death.

Harvest Moon 64 - Reviving the Vineyard
While this isn't exactly a 'level', it is a challenge seperate than what is required, and it is my favorite challenge, especially when combined with the Party Picture challenge... This would be a challenge for ANY gamer, and those who complete this within the first year and get the party picture are seen as the elite of this game.

Posted by D.J Cat

Kokiri forest, heh.

Hey, you can mention more, I just am not all that good with words, I didn't mean you can only mention the single level, well I'm not sure what I meant now, cause I made this thread quite some time ago.
Anyway, welcome to the site.

Posted by Xero

Kokiri forest, heh.

I loved the music of kokiri forest.