XP...ram

Posted by Lord of Spam

Somebody told me that Xp requires at least 256 Mb of RAM... is this true? If so, jesus christ why?

Posted by Klarth

I don't seem to have any qualms running it on a mere 192.

Posted by Hyper

Runs fine on 1.5GB.

But that's just me getting Majesty jealous :p

Posted by Klarth

you mother****er :(

Posted by EnTiTyHaCkEr

I dont really have any problems running it on my moms system which only has 128MB of Ram in it.

[url=http://www.h22s.com/imghost/uploads/Screenshot6162005%5Bram%5D.jpg]See I dont Lie[/url]

It takes a few minutes to start up but once its going it isnt that bad.

Posted by loony636

To eradicate all doubt:

Home Edition:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/evaluation/sysreqs.mspx - 128 MB recommended and 64 MB is the minimum

Professional Edition:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/evaluation/sysreqs.mspx - Same as home edition.

So as you can clearly see....Entity// is right and LORD OF SPAM IS WRONG!!!!!

Posted by Nep0

I've had home edition run,err, crawl on 64MB before and thats just no fun.
To keep things going smoothly, 128MB is the minimum. 256MB and up = .

Posted by Trigger

I'm running Windows XP Professional on 320MB RAM and it works fine, I can't really see any sluggish behaviour from it. When I first attempted to install it long ago, it was slower than anything I had ever seen, so I went back to Windows 2000 Professional. Then about six months later, I tried to install Windows XP again (same hardware, no changes etc) and it ran perfectly and quickly. I've been using it ever since.

Posted by Boner

Quoting Hyper: Runs fine on 1.5GB.

But that's just me getting Majesty jealous :p

Same here. :)

Posted by Iris

Ahem...

Posted by higbvuyb

About 256 is reccomended for XP. I used to have only 128, and I couldn't do anything.

Posted by Klarth

Loli@ Iris.

Come on, find the hidden message.

Posted by Trigger

Quoting higbvuyb: About 256 is reccomended for XP. I used to have only 128, and I couldn't do anything.

It really depends on what you're doing at the time, how many services you leave running that aren't even needed (and are often a security problem), etc. I don't particularly believe Microsoft would recommend 64MB as a minimum if 128MB clearly couldn't do anything for you. If you asked me, I'd bet you were slogging the shit out of Windows XP with a ton of programs and background services.

I mean, it doesn't necessarily explain how others can use XP fine with less than 256MB and you can't. If only one person in this entire thread seems to have issues with less than 256MB, you could bet it's a user caused issue, not hardware or software. Don't give me any bull about it taking a lot of memory, either; for the most part of my entire time of using Windows XP, my memory consumption hardly ever reaches 150MB, let alone more than that and I usually have multiple programs running at once. At boot Windows XP uses about 60MB for me and that's with ZoneAlarm Pro starting at boot.

Posted by loony636

My dad ran Windows XP on 128 mb for a long time before he thought he needed to upgrade to 256mb. Although he was only surfing the internet and doing Word and Excel...

Quoting higbvuyb: About 256 is reccomended for XP. I used to have only 128, and I couldn't do anything.

Its just you higbvuyb, its just you.

[Thinking]I'm going to get so badly re-repped by higbvuyb for that.[/Thinking]

Posted by AMD_FANBOY

RAM is a very important aspect of a computer. I have 1GB of DDR400 with an AMD 64 3800+ newcastle and it loads xp from the second I turn the pc on with everything loaded in about 60 seconds. Well I have an AMD 64 2800+ Newcastle but I overclocked it to 2.4ghz from 1.8ghz stable as a rock. So yeah I basically have a 3800+!