Japanese developers' views on PS3, Revolution and Xbox 360

Posted by Big Boss

Gaming greats like Tomonobu Itagaki (Ninja Gaiden), Yuji Naka (Sonic The Hedgehog) and Akihiro Hino (Dragon Quest VIII, Dark Cloud 2) talk about the next-generation consoles.

[url="http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/06/15/news_6127604.html"]Japanese developers discuss, and dis, the next-gen consoles[/url]

Posted by Fate

I can't wait for Dragon Quest. Awesome.

[quote]"When the machines evolve this far, they lose characteristics. As a developer, I'm most concerned about how much memory they're equipped with--the more, the better. The other specs aren't that important. I don't think that their graphic capabilities are too far apart from each other. Of course, their specs haven't been finalized yet, and we won't actually know how difficult it is to develop on them until we try it out," said Kawatsu.

Posted by Ant

Hmm, from what I read it seems they all have pretty much the same thoughts. Basically they all think that the Playstation 3 is good because of the amazing graphical abilities. The Revolution they are all looking forward to what they have up there sleve. And XBOX 360 because of the internet play.

It's good to see though that the developers are still interested in the Revolution after how hush hush Nintendo was during E3. But I'm sure they will all flock to Sony. It's hard to turn down purtty graphics...

Posted by Speedfreak

...which is why Xbox had the most developers last generation.

It's incredibly easy to turn down nice graphics for the simple reason that pretty graphics are bloody expensive to make.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: It's incredibly easy to turn down nice graphics for the simple reason that pretty graphics are bloody expensive to make.

True. One of them mentioned that it will be almost impossible for most developers to achieve those types of graphics. So, kinda defeats the whole point.

Posted by Speedfreak

More like it will be impossible to have those kind of graphics on original games. Going the way it is, the games industry will end up like the film industry. A place where only the super huge companies can survive by making "safe" films that cost millions of dollars. What was the last movie you saw doing well at box office that didn't cost a few million dollars to make or have a large, well-known studio behind it? All I can think of is Blair Witch.